Photo

Historic F1 fan? Get to Mallory Park every Wednesday morning!

• Please log in to reply
2932 replies to this topic

#2801 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 13:41

Took all of 5 mins to send an e-mail to Steve Atkinson, chief executive, of Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council at steve.atkinson@hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk telling him what Mallory Park means to me. :up:

Good point Art'. I've also now emailed the gentleman pointing out how much money I've spent in the area over the years, directly as a result of the circuit's presence and asking what proportion of long term residents are actually complaining compared to recent incomers who knew the score when they moved in...

Advertisement

#2802 hamsterace

hamsterace

• 84 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 13:42

Took all of 5 mins to send an e-mail to Steve Atkinson, chief executive, of Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council at steve.atkinson@hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk telling him what Mallory Park means to me. :up:

I've just done to the same, although the rather bland and distinctly "local government" acknowledgement/ reply (we are seeking a sustainable, common sense and generally acceptable resolution to the situation etc. etc.) didn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

However, if enough of us do it, perhaps they just might take on board the fact that there are actually two sides to this story....

Edited by hamsterace, 05 March 2013 - 13:42.

#2803 john aston

john aston

• 809 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 14:36

What sort of reply were you expecting ? 'Oh dear , now we know that some people like racing cars we will stop the action this minute ?' Sorry - raw nerve but my former day job involved having to write diplomatic letters on occasion without being seen to take sides- because it isn't the chief exec's job to do that.

#2804 alansart

alansart

• 4,006 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 15:15

There are rumours that Mallory Park has been sold!

http://www.motorcycl...lory-park-sold/

#2805 hamsterace

hamsterace

• 84 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 15:43

What sort of reply were you expecting ? 'Oh dear , now we know that some people like racing cars we will stop the action this minute ?' Sorry - raw nerve but my former day job involved having to write diplomatic letters on occasion without being seen to take sides- because it isn't the chief exec's job to do that.

No - just one that implied that someone may have actually read my email, rather than some clap trap which frankly is probably trotted out for every planning dispute they receive. The bloke might as well have put his Out of Office reply on....

#2806 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 16:07

http://www.motorcycl...lory-park-sold/

Wonder how many aggrieved residents will prefer the 'quiet life' when surrounded by 500 new toytown homes and a Asda Megastore open 24 hours a day....?
The terms 'frying pan' and 'fire' spring to mind....

#2807 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 16:20

Wonder how many aggrieved residents will prefer the 'quiet life' when surrounded by 500 new toytown homes and a Asda Megastore open 24 hours a day....?

At the moment this is not confirmed.........however could be a clever ploy just before the big meeting of highlighting to the residents what would be the potential result if they continued hounding Mallory???

PAR

#2808 Mistron

Mistron

• 839 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 16:28

Still, imagine living in a housing estate where all of the local neds think the main arterial road around the development used to be a racing circuit! speed bumps 3 storeys high wouldn't stop them in their Novas (or whatever yoofs drive these days?)

Bloody NIMBYs :evil:

Al

#2809 mfd

mfd

• 2,877 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 16:58

Now updated by a denial from the circuit owners

#2810 alansart

alansart

• 4,006 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 17:33

Quote from Ian Flux on Facebook

i have just put the phone down from chris meek who owns mallory park,and use to sponsor tom pryce who died today 26 years ago,no one has approached him about selling mallory and the£8 mill mentioned in mcn would not even be the deposit!! so straight from the horses mouth..

#2811 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 17:42

£8 million.......the cafe is worth more than that to most regulars :)

PAR

Edited by Phil Rainford, 05 March 2013 - 17:42.

#2812 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 449 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 17:48

I've got the same reply from the council guy. Let's hope hundreds of folk email him!

#2813 timf5000

timf5000

• 83 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 18:31

I've got the same reply from the council guy. Let's hope hundreds of folk email him!

Have just added my e-mail to the cause. Cannot believe my favourite circuit is under threat!

#2814 CoulthardD

CoulthardD

• 207 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 18:47

Doing our usual pre-season shakedown at Mallory tomorrow. Hope it's not for the last time... ):

DC

#2815 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 21:48

Just to lighten the mood a little..

I went to some Donington testing today.

A favorite from a totally awesome car!

I know it isn't Mallory, but enjoy...

Posted Image

#2816 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 22:11

Really not sure how much creedence to give this, but the word on the social networking sites is that there is going to be a big push mounted this spring to close Mallory with a residents meeting getting the campaign underway tomorrow night at 7.30pm in the schoolhouse at Kirkby Mallory.
Anyone here no better??? :cat:

The meeting has now been cancelled :)

PAR

#2817 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,632 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 00:11

£8 million.......the cafe is worth more than that to most regulars :)

PAR

Too right I mentioned the excellent cuisine in my missive to the chief exec of the council :up: :smoking:

#2818 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,991 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:28

The meeting has now been cancelled :)

PAR

Whilst Chris Meek is denying a sale, however unreasonable it may seem, it is entirely possible that the lobby group will restrict usage of the circuit to such an extent that it will become economically unviable to operate. If you compare the Wednesday morning testing attendances last year with those of the previous year, it tells it's own story, and that's just the tip of the iceberg..... :well:

#2819 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 10:52

If you compare the Wednesday morning testing attendances last year with those of the previous year, it tells it's own story, and that's just the tip of the iceberg..... :well:

This highlights one of the ongoing injustices - noise limits have already been seriously tightened up, even in the past year (with the resulting drop in activity) and we all know that motor racing in the 21st century makes about 10% of the volume it did in the 1970s - but still people insist on complaining.

I'm not sure if it's modern day human nature or the insidious legal-actions-for-all culture ? The problem is motor sport is an easy target and as we have said in the past, there is no noticeable political lobby to fight for it's interests, despite the massive amounts of money involved and created by the sport. And the MSA? Ah...the MSA.....yes...well... :|

Advertisement

#2820 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:12

If you compare the Wednesday morning testing attendances last year with those of the previous year, it tells it's own story, and that's just the tip of the iceberg..... :well:

Remember Donington was closed when Mallory was enjoying huge numbers of cars for the Wednesday testing....

PAR

Edited by Phil Rainford, 06 March 2013 - 11:12.

#2821 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,216 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:20

A few more details here about tonight's meeting and why it was cancelled:

http://www.thisislei...l#axzz2Ml0v1xIL

#2822 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:13

A few more details here about tonight's meeting and why it was cancelled:

http://www.thisislei...l#axzz2Ml0v1xIL

And the details are...there are no details.

#2823 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,991 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:24

And the details are...there are no details.

It appears to be developing into a stand-off.... :well:

Edited by Giraffe, 06 March 2013 - 12:24.

#2824 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 12:35

Fyi....

Mallory Park - The following has been sent to all "Friends of Mallory" -

This mail is to bring you up to date on all activity related to the noise issues at Mallory Park/Kirkby Mallory and ask for your action if you value the continued operation of the circuit. I will keep this as brief and to the point as possible - although there is a lot to go through.

1: A small group of Friends and circuit management met on 13th December after an open invite (six attendees in total). The discussion was wide ranging and included the agreement Mallory came to with Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council on 2013 operation in November that was then subsequently rejected by the Liaison Group on behalf of the residents. The Council then refused to implement the November agreement as it did not have the support of the Liaison Group.

It is our understanding that this proposal was not put to the Kirkby Mallory residents en masse by the Liaison Group.

The abridged highlights of the November 2012 proposed agreement with the Council are:
The cessation of all motocross activity
Agreement to spend £100,000+ on the erection of minimum of 130m of acoustic fencing to reduce noise at various points on the circuit - subject to planning permission
Installation of noise monitoring systems to be put in place
Agreement to limit use of the Hairpin section of track on quiet days
10 x 2-day weekend events allowed per year
18 Saturdays per year at 98dba, no more than two of these per calendar month
40 race days per year
Saturday/Sunday quiet day agreed to 45-55dba
Weekday use - 3 per week, subject to ACU 105db and MSA 108dba levels
Two quiet weekdays per week agreed at 45-55dba
Special events e.g. Festival of 1000 Bikes require noise management plan to be approved and 2 compensatory No Use days the weekend following or preceding
An annual calendar of events to be agreed with HBBC and published on its website.
5-year review of new agreement or when requested by HBBC or Mallory Park.
Mallory Park's interpretation of this is that a max usage per year by the circuit of 217 days, but due to the noted restraints and seasonality of the circuit activity, expectations are at approximately 160-days use per year - all with new noise reduction measures implemented (Background is that the circuit has been operating for 28-years since the 1985 agreement with anywhere between 160-220 days used per year at 98dba noise level or above). This November 2012 proposed agreement represents a 20% reduction on activity with increased noise control/reduction measures on recent activity.

Mallory Park is currently operating to this November 2012 agreement for 2013 and this is our favoured way forward if possible as it is financially viable.

2: Following the Council's decision not to implement the November 2012 proposed agreement, Mallory Park then spoke directly to Garry Ball and the Liaison Group with the aim of coming to an agreement together with the residents and then presenting a untied front to the Council.

We met at Garry's home on 23rd January and in Mallory Park's interpretation the discussion was generally positive and there appeared to be a willingness to negotiate and come to an agreed way forward.

After this a number of communications went back and forth from both sides suggesting possible compromise operational levels. The basics of this discussion were:
The Liaison Group offered guidance advice on what it thought would be acceptable and would recommend or put to residents
After further clarification of the 1985 agreement and note of hard attitudes in the village, Garry advised that the responsibility to act now lies with the Council. Mallory agrees the Council is key to moving forward with a negotiated solution
The abridged details (in Mallory's opinion) of discussions with Garry and the Liaison Committee included:
Mallory requested a special permit for the Festival of 1000 Bikes to be un-silenced due to the nature of older machines. There appeared to be willingness to negotiate to come to a solution here
Mallory suggested No Use days be re-classified as Non Motorsport and a DB level applied at 65db (normal road silenced car is rated at 80db). Garry indicated if residents cannot hear the activity then no problem
Garry had proposed an equal number of noisy/no use weekend days per four-week cycle. Effectively out of 16 days, 8 for use and 8 non use. Mallory requested this to change to 12 days use out of every 16 with an emphasis on the summer months due to seasonality. Garry then suggested 26x 2-day weekend usage as a compromise. Mallory Park is broadly agreeable to this
Liaison Group has no issue with Wednesday test days
Despite running at ACU/MSA noise levels for three weekdays for the last 28-years, the Council has now interpreted that noise levels must be 45db-55db. This is a significant change from previous understanding and the Liaison Group is supporting this interpretation. If applied, this is a significant threat to the operation of the circuit
Mallory requested the Windmill Field be used for a grass track demonstration during the Festival of 1000 Bikes and the rest of the year it would be for parking and camping only. Garry asked if Mallory could use the old moto cross track instead. This could not work as not flat enough to allow grass track riding
A full published calendar was agreed
No drifting at all at the circuit was agreed
Garry requires any new agreement to be enforced in law. Mallory is agreeable to this.
It is Mallory's opinion that the above discussions were productive but the onus for agreement has now moved to the Council rather than with the Liaison Group. It is residents' influence on the Council that will assist with further negotiations and solutions.

3: The Council has now served legal proceedings against Mallory Park for five breeches of the 1985 agreement from 2012. It has also indicated that mid-week the circuit can only operate on a Wednesday at noisy levels. It will enforce all positions from 1st April 2013.

4: Jason Newbury from the Parish Council met with John Ward and myself on 18th February to try and determine Mallory Park's side of the story. We agreed to share what we could with him so that the Parish Council could display a balanced view.

5: On the same evening a letter from the Liaison Group was distributed to the village, provoking a vocal response from pro-circuit residents.

6: Moving forward

BARC is now taking legal advice on the court summons by the Council. I can say nothing more at this time as this is a very complex area of law.

It is clear that the Council has heard little support from residents supporting the continued operation of the circuit.

The circuit remains committed to working with residents and the Council in an attempt to remain financially viable and operational. It is prepared to negotiate as required so that all parties can move forward with confidence.

7: MALLORY PARK KINDLY REQUESTS

A: If you wish the circuit to continue operating, then please write to Steve Atkinson at Hinckley and Bosworth Borough Council. He needs to know that there are residents that support the circuit. To help structure your communication to him, please consider the following discussion points.

B: Would you be agreeable to the operational levels mentioned in point 1 above? If yes, please tell him so.

C: If you are not agreeable to the above point 1 would you be supportive to a cessation of HBBC legal action and a short time-frame of negotiations to take place with a view to reaching a compromise solution that will allow the circuit to continue operating?

D: We request that you speak with your neighbours and ask them to write to the Council as well, based on the above A-C points.

The address to direct all correspondence is:

Steve.Atkinson@hinckley-bosworth.gov.uk

Or

Steve Atkinson
Council Offices
Argents Mead
Hinckley
Leicestershire
LE10 1BZ

If possible, so we can gauge residents' opinion, please copy your mails to Mallory Park at jmpr35@gmail.com.

I am available at any time to discuss the above or any other circuit based issue. I do hope that you can spare the time to write to Steve Atkinson and greatly appreciate your efforts to support the circuit. Mallory Park needs all the friends it can get in the village right now.

Thanks and hopefully speak soon.

Jason McClean

#2825 alansart

alansart

• 4,006 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 15:54

An interesting and fairly level headed statement by the local council.

http://www.hinckley-...70/mallory_park

#2826 john winfield

john winfield

• 1,033 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 18:01

An interesting and fairly level headed statement by the local council.

http://www.hinckley-...70/mallory_park

Yes, I agree Alan, thanks for that. I sometimes think the skills required in local government are underestimated!

#2827 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 21:42

I'm surprised that they haven't planted a double row of leylandii around the circuit.

#2828 eurocardoc

eurocardoc

• 146 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:23

Knowing Mr Meek well from our liaisons oin the early 70s, I'd suggest he could turn it over to a pig farm and romany encampment to further the residents wishes! Keep working on this chaps, I loved going to that track, it has great memories for me, I love Chris and wish all well in their reaching an ongoing presence as a motor racing facility.

#2829 taylov

taylov

• 604 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 17:53

Those in the UK will be familiar with the recent Eastleigh Parliamentary Election. A key issue was the development of a local golf course which sits on an area smaller than that of Mallory Park. The local council voted 3 days before the election to permit no less than 1,400 houses to be built on the site.

Local councils in the UK are under intense pressure to permit this level of bullding of new homes. Hinckley/Bosworth Council will think that all of their Christmas' have come at once if they can allocate the MP site for housing. The locals won't know what hit them and will get no say in the matter if the Eastleigh example is anything to go by.

They should be careful what they wish for ):

Tony

#2830 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 21:59

http://www.motorspor...rk-under-threat

From Motor Sport

PAR

#2831 jackal

jackal

• 74 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:39

Hello all

Hopefully a decision will be made to keep everyone happy. One thing i know for sure..... another housing estate of (un)affordable homes is not what the locals will want. if they are happy with that alternative then they are bonkers but they would get a tesco express.

I am not sure that I read about the following on TNF or elsewhere but 2 decisions were made in the last couple of years(maybe both last year?) about complaints raised against noisy things. One case was about a rookery that some newbies wanted moved!?! and the other about newbies near a venue that had been used for banger racing(and dogs, fairs, etc for a very long time). Both cases were thrown out by the judges involved and the complainers put in their places.

The points raised by the judges should be referred to in any further court cases regarding complaints from newbies. Basically; do your homework and don't move next door, or move and take it on the chin for being a fool.

if the complaints are mainly coming from long term residents then that is a different story, but following the results of the 2 cases mentioned above any complaint from a newbie should be totally disregarded.

Carl

Edited by jackal, 08 March 2013 - 12:42.

#2832 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:51

I am not sure that I read about the following on TNF or elsewhere but 2 decisions were made in the last couple of years(maybe both last year?) about complaints raised against noisy things. One case was about a rookery that some newbies wanted moved!?! and the other about newbies near a venue that had been used for banger racing(and dogs, fairs, etc maybe for a very long time). Both cases were thrown out by the judges involved and the complainers put in their places.

The points raised by the judges should be referred to in any further court cases regarding complaints from newbies. Basically; do your homework and don't move next door, or move and take it on the chin for being a fool.

Carl

Just the sort of highly relevant information that the regulating authority of a major sport should have at it's finger tips in order to step in and protect the venues which fund it.... wouldn't you think? :well:

#2833 jackal

jackal

• 74 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 13:12

Just the sort of highly relevant information that the regulating authority of a major sport should have at it's finger tips in order to step in and protect the venues which fund it.... wouldn't you think? :well:

Absolutely!

I know some people who gave up hillclimbing in the UK for 2 reasons after taking their car on holiday and doing a hillclimb in Germany. The first was getting ALOT more miles for your pounds and the other was the attitude of the locals. The latter just gave up their village to the racers and had them all in their houses and driveways and made the english sarnies and flasks of tea. I know of events in northern france where the towns get totally into the events and have hog roasts, local indie bands playing and everyone has a jolly good time. Back in the day when i raced bicycles it was the same in Italy when the race came to town. Not any great event like the Giro, just local or national competitions.

Maybe Brussels could enforce this behavior on the english.

#2834 mfd

mfd

• 2,877 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 13:37

if the complaints are mainly coming from long term residents then that is a different story...

It depends what you'd term as long term? The residents would have to have been there 50 odd years to pre-date the circuit. To me it seems strange that when big crowds appeared in tens of thousands in the 1970's regularly for bike races, which until 1975 were totally unsilenced, there hasn't been a protest earlier. I think it's a situation of different times with a local authority of today perhaps feeling like they have to exercise constraint. It does need a well argued case.

#2835 jackal

jackal

• 74 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 13:46

It depends what you'd term as long term? The residents would have to have been there 50 odd years to pre-date the circuit. To me it seems strange that when big crowds appeared in tens of thousands in the 1970's regularly for bike races, which until 1975 were totally unsilenced, there hasn't been a protest earlier. I think it's a situation of different times with a local authority of today perhaps feeling like they have to exercise constraint. It does need a well argued case.

Agreed.

Their needs to be clear definitions of things like long term and if you experienced the heyday and didn't complain should you really have the right to complain tens of years later?

In our society we can complain without being sent away somewhere but maybe at some point a complaint should be disregarded.

Edited by jackal, 08 March 2013 - 14:04.

#2836 mfd

mfd

• 2,877 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 14:06

Read this - lifted verbatim from the Save Mallory group on Facebook. The writer is a resident of the village & she loves living there

Charlotte White

"Just so you're aware, it is the Liaison Committee that are making it so difficult for Mallory park to operate, not the entire village. People think it's the "residents" in general but there are a lot of us that 100% support the track. My family moved to this village because of the race track as we all love Motorsport.

I, and a few others have worked really hard these past few weeks drumming up enough support for the council to actually take notice of us. If it wasn't for us then there would've been no meeting in the first place; it's only because there's been so much talk and strong support from villagers that the council want to come to an agreement which is financially viable for the track.. Otherwise, the committee would still be taking mallory park to court in April, which was what was happening originally and could still happen - but we now may be able to stop them from prosecuting Mallory park if we (the liaison committee, mallory park and the villagers who support the track) can come to some kind of agreement before April about what works for everyone.

Any sense of community in the village seems to have diminished - there is a clear divide within the village, between non supporters and supporters. It's such a shame it had to come to this. I never saw any problems with noise? I enjoy hearing the bikes and cars going round the track; you know it's getting to summer when you hear activities at the track! It's lovely! :)!"

Edited by mfd, 08 March 2013 - 14:07.

#2837 jackal

jackal

• 74 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 14:12

Interesting.

Need to find my fly that likes walls

#2838 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 14:55

Online petition to No.10 already in place with 2000+ signed in first 24 hours

http://epetitions.di...petitions/46739

#2839 RTH

RTH

• 5,726 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 15:35

Are the complaints only on the grounds of noise?

As a past competitor and someone who has spent a lot of time in the pitlane since the late 60s - as a direct result I have lost a lot of hearing, something you don't pay any attention to in your 20s & 30s - when you get to your 60s you regret the exposure greatly.
It is unpleasant at the time in the car and as a bystander - it just is not practical to wear ear plugs or defenders all the time you are at a circuit.

Over 2 miles from me here in a farmers field hillside 2 or 3 times a year they hold motor cycle scrambling, if the air is still that is incredibly loud outside my house - only because the bikes are unsilenced. if they were just fitted with silencers they would be inaudible only 500yds away. It is not a performance issue in such a now overcrowded island such as this - the voluntary quietening of motor sport vehicles in order to keep going is a tiny price to pay.

I honestly do not think that an increased level of sound suppression to both intake and exhaust systems would detract from the experience either for competitors or spectators - in fact it would make the day rather more pleasant attract other family members not such dyed in the wool enthusiasts who currently stay away because of painful noise.
So if this is all the locals are complaining about, mandatory lower noise emissions from race cars is a great deal preferable to no circuit at all.

An agreement to lower noise threshold should be balanced with doubling the number of racing and testing days each year to balance circuit income and reward to competitors - the greater utilisation of the facility the cheaper per day per competitor everyone gets a benefit.
More and cheaper race days for drivers and spectators, trust me not that funny when you can't hear what people are saying - or the TV.

Edited by RTH, 09 March 2013 - 11:46.

Advertisement

#2840 john aston

john aston

• 809 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:53

Thre is now an epetition which I have just signed via Lotus Seven Club website. Shame it is so badly written...

#2841 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 56,892 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 15:24

What's the reality on the claim that there is an existing agreement/rule with the council(or whichever local government body) that Mallory is entitled to X days a year and over time they've been well in excess of that and people have just let it slide?

#2842 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 16:27

Its gone very Quiet on here has it started up again yet I was thinking of going in the next few weeks, does anyone have any idea what would be a good week to go Steve.

#2843 john aston

john aston

• 809 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 18:35

Links are beyond me but there was a very interesting thread on Pistonheads about this, including some measured comments from locals. It seems to be not the black and white situation we enthusiasts like to feel outraged about(newcomers moving to area and moaning etc) but far far more complex. And it would appear from all I have read that the circuit has been in persistent and flagrant breach of various commitments it has given and controls it has accepted .

#2844 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 15:00

So there are no test days on at the moment

#2845 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 16:02

Testing is still on every Wednesday :)

PAR

#2846 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 16:49

Testing is still on every Wednesday :)

PAR

Any idea of who or what will be going in the next couple of weeks or is it just pot luck want to try and get there in the next two or three weeks.

#2847 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 17:23

Links are beyond me but there was a very interesting thread on Pistonheads about this, including some measured comments from locals. It seems to be not the black and white situation we enthusiasts like to feel outraged about(newcomers moving to area and moaning etc) but far far more complex. And it would appear from all I have read that the circuit has been in persistent and flagrant breach of various commitments it has given and controls it has accepted .

I was told by a fairly near resident, with a refreshingly moderated approach, that there is actually one major issue at the root of this that has been somewhat hidden by all the (not always accurate....there's a surprise!) media coverage and taking-of-sides.It has nothing to do with test days or the like. It's not the well publicised decades-old agreement itself, it's not 4 wheeled, doesn't even run on the tarmac and the key here is that it was apparently introduced fairly recently...which is apparently the real crux of the matter.

I'll leave you to work out what it might be as I am not in any position to confirm this story and don't wish to inflame things any further... but it's not a tank either...

#2848 foxyracer

foxyracer

• 25 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 15:57

Any idea of who or what will be going in the next couple of weeks or is it just pot luck want to try and get there in the next two or three weeks.

I went on Wednesday, there were a couple of the new F4s (one of which had a bit of a mishap), and a Morgan SLR (one of three made by Sprintzel Lawrence Racing). There were a few F. Fords and MGBs. I've never tried posting pics before so here goes, lets see what happens.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2849 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 449 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 16:52

Do they still have motor boat racing on the lake? I've got some old racing programmes which give the whole calendar and there seemed to be monthly boat events.

#2850 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 6,991 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 14:49

A few images from a sparsely attended Wednesday morning test today......

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

It was good to see Gatmo, and to meet up with TNFer Steve O'Brien who was proudly telling Andy Newall (who was there with a Chevron B8) that his father, Harry once owned the BRM engined B5.
I wonder what will now become of the circuit???

Steve to the far right of the pic....

Posted Image

Edited by Giraffe, 24 April 2013 - 14:59.