Robert Power

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 13:59

Hello!

The father of IndyCar driver Will Power, Robert Power, also drove racing cars. He was racing in Australian Formula Two for example. He was third in 1982.

Is there a list of where he was racing and how good?

he also had a own racing team: Robert Power Racing. Does that team still exist?

Also Robert's father was racing motorbike. Who was his name?

Advertisement

#2 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 15:11

I had lost interest by 1980 and I don't recall a Robert Power, but here is an image reportedly of an 'R Power' in a Ralt in1987. It might be him.

http://www.autopics....c.html?cache=no

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 16:49

There was a Brian Power who was pretty handy in an ANF2 Rennmax in the '70s

#4 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,623 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:01

Will's father is Bob Power. He has a long established canvas business based in Toowoomba. Mainly raced F2 machinery from late 60's through to the 80's.
Had quite a bit of success in QLD openwheel racing and some solid national results but Sampson and Shead were very dominant during the period he raced nationally - not east to beat those Cheetahs!

#5 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,623 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:32

Just checked in RCN the early Power in 60's, 70's was Brian Power (Renmax) - Bob Power was later( Kaditcha ) - both AF2 to make things confusing - brothers? Could be....

#6 hansfohr

hansfohr

• 574 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:16

Bob Power finished 15th (and last) in the 1980 AF2. He obtained one point by finishing 6th at Amaroo Park in the Kaditcha which featured quite a few McLaren parts and bits.....

Will Power got Canadian roots! His grandfather - based in Edmonton as a pilot in training for WW2 - met a local girl and married her. It can't be coincidental that Will won last year's race in Edmonton!

Edited by hansfohr, 11 April 2010 - 10:32.

#7 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:04

Will's father is Bob Power. He has a long established canvas business based in Toowoomba. Mainly raced F2 machinery from late 60's through to the 80's.
Had quite a bit of success in QLD openwheel racing and some solid national results but Sampson and Shead were very dominant during the period he raced nationally - not east to beat those Cheetahs!

Perhaps Bob and Robert are the same? I have my information only from Wikipedia and both drive in the early 80's and both with a Kaditcha.

driverdb.com tells, that Bob Power also drove in Formula Holden in 2003 and 2004... Is that right?

And he has a own racing team, because his son Will Power drove in Australia for a Power Racing Team. Is that team still existing anywhere?

#8 hansfohr

hansfohr

• 574 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 14:01

Perhaps Bob and Robert are the same? I have my information only from Wikipedia and both drive in the early 80's and both with a Kaditcha.
driverdb.com tells, that Bob Power also drove in Formula Holden in 2003 and 2004... Is that right?

There was only one Power driving the Kaditscha: that was Bob, Robert or whatever his official name was.

I am wondering if the 'Formula Holden' Bob Power is anywhere related. Will's father temporarily coming out of retirement?? :love:

Edited by hansfohr, 11 April 2010 - 14:09.

#9 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 7,854 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 16:08

I think that's not impossible with there driving also a lot of old drivers...