Photo

Mille Miglia 2010

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rjl850

rjl850

• 16 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 17:26

Ciao a tutti! Anyone been to the Mille Miglia as a spectator? I'll be going to Brescia and will be able to see the cars on display/scrutineering on Thursday, then watch the cars leave in the evening. Is there any particular spot I should try to find to watch the cars as they leave? Anything else related the MM that I should do between Wednesday and Friday, when I leave Brescia? (I'll be heading to Florence for non-car related activities at that point :()

Thanks!

Edited by rjl850, 12 April 2010 - 17:26.

Advertisement

#2 ChrisD

ChrisD

• 112 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 00:21

[quote name='rjl850' date='Apr 12 2010, 18:26' post='4285209']
I went to Brescia for the Mille Miglia in 2008. An utterly fabulous event, the cars are parked up throughout the centre of Brescia prior to the start. The action centres around Piazza della Loggia - you can't miss it. Many are grouped by marque, so you will have a piazza full of Ferraris, another full of Alfas, and so on. Other marques are spread around the interconnecting streets and other nearby piazzas. There were cars there that I had previously only ever read about. I had fully intended going back this year but cannot get away from work as there is a general election the day the MM starts, and I have recently been given responsibility for managing elections!!!

Can't help with viewpoint for start as we were staying at Desenzano del Garda, so we hopped on the train late afternoon and got back to the lake front (where there is a timed section) just in time for the first cars to come through.

However, while you are in Brescia do go to the Mille Miglia museum. Well worth a visit.

We drove down, so were fairly mobile. During our stay we also visited the Galleria Ferrari at Maranello, the Moto Guzzi Museum in Mandello del Lario on Lake Como , the Alfa Romeo museum just outside Milan , and the absolutely delightful Stanguellini museum in Modena. We also drove back via the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart and the old Reims racing circuit at Gueux, both worth visiting.

Enjoy the Mille Miglia - sadly I won't be able to get there this year or next........

#3 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:28

My wife and I were also there as spectators in 2008. We checked out the cars on display at the Piazza della Loggia, etc. in the afternoon. They also had a ramp there that many of the cars drove up on, and those teams and cars were introduced to the public. There was also a grandstand there that we sat in. Here is the view from that grandstand:

]Posted Image

Hans Herrmann is interviewed while the 1950 winning Ferrari comes up.

Then we left that area to walk down to the starting area early. On our way, we met Jacky Ickx, who was in the Auto Union display tent. We then sat in a large grandstand almost across the road from where the cars started. I believe this was actually for dignitaries, but my wife charmed the officials into letting us stay there! Here is what the website says about the start:

"...7.30 p.m. Start of the first car from Viale Venezia for the Brescia – Bologna leg and presentation of the cars to the public..."

If you are in Florence on the Saturday, you would be able to see the cars coming through the city on their way from Rome back to Brescia. That's what we did. I had hoped to see the cars coming through the Raticosa Pass or the Futa Pass north of Florence, but that didn't work out.

Have you seen the website? Here is the link:

http://www.1000migli...glese/home.html

Also, will you be going to the Grand Prix de Monaco Historique the weekend before, May 1 & 2?

I hope to attend both events again in 2012. Chris, maybe we'll see you then? By the way, is the Viale Venezia the road that the original race finished on? It sure looks like it from photos.

Vince H.

Edited by raceannouncer2003, 13 April 2010 - 06:31.

#4 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 21:31

How many people on here doing it and where do you find an entrants list.

Tell me its a total pose with these latest organisers.This is their third attempt and route has changed but as usual thre/four times oversubscribed.

Pop stars and cooks are in.

#5 Marticelli

Marticelli

• 283 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 23:13

Speaking if which, James Martin wrote a book, 'Driven' about matters various including his expensive but short lived participation in the 2006 MM (IIRC) in his 1948 Maserati A6GCS... Not exactly a good advert for the MM but an interesting read... But IMHO the Targa Florio is much more fun... Ask Vic Elford!!

Martin

#6 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:48

Does Vic Elford do the new Targa as neither Targa nor MM have much to do with the original races apart from being held in same country.
Something like Route des Alps or Liege Rome are much more competitive.They need Mr Hamiltons type of road driving skills.Tour Auto/Espania competition is nearest thing to proper road race but closed stsges.

#7 rjl850

rjl850

• 16 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 18:29

How many people on here doing it and where do you find an entrants list.

Tell me its a total pose with these latest organisers.This is their third attempt and route has changed but as usual thre/four times oversubscribed.

Supposedly, the entrants list will be posted on the official website, but it's not there yet (http://www.1000miglia.eu).

If by 'total pose' you mean that it's no longer a race, and is now little more than a car show, then, yes, I agree. But I thought that was kind of the point. :)

BTW, thanks to the others for the tips and advice!

Edited by rjl850, 14 April 2010 - 18:29.

#8 ChrisD

ChrisD

• 112 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 19:36

[quote name='Marticelli' date='Apr 14 2010, 00:13' post='4286868']

It all depends what you want from the event. I am going to the Silverstone Classic, Spa 6 Hours, and hopefully See Red (fingers crossed for Donington being back in action) for the racing. But I have a huge interest in the post-war Mille Miglia and in particular the rarer Italian cars.

Where else could I go and see Bandinis, OSCAs, Stangas, Stanguellinis, Zagatos, Fiat Otto Vus, Abarths, Conreros, Siatas, Morettis, Erminis, Cisitalias, Gilcos, Gianninis, Carnevallis, Morettinis and Diattos, as well as more Alfas, Maseratis, Ferraris, Lancias than one could shake a stick at (ok, a pretty pointless exercise, stick-shaking)? And that's in addition to some pretty tasty Brit iron of the era such as Allards, Healeys, Austin Healeys, works MGAs, etc etc. Oh, did I mention the Mercedes 300 SLs and SLRs, Porsche 356s + 550s? I am sure I have missed many - that list was compliled from a quick look through the photos I took.

And all in rather idyllic Italian piazzas, with the ability to wander among the cars taking close-up photos, talking to owners, stopping for the odd glass of wine or cup of espresso etc etc.

Good grief, I've suddenly thought how depressed I am at the thought of not being able to get there for the next two years ...... although I am going to try to get to the Gran Premio Nuvolari in September as a consolation prize to myself. But not for the racing - for the cars.

rjl850, whoever you are, ENJOY it!!!

Chris

#9 john ruston

john ruston

• 1,019 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 21:40

It was good fun until about four years ago but now I understand a slow movable car show.Will find out in a months time what it has become.Depends what makes your boat float but seeing cars in Florence,,Bologna and the passes is spectacular

#10 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 622 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 07:13

If you want to see similar cars as on the Mille, but without the stocking fillers (tons of Mercs, TR3 etc.), the crowding and the corporate pizzazz - go watch "Le Mitiche Sport A Bassano" in June.
About 120 cars every year - and compared to the Mille very low key and fun.
It is still a rather unknown event - hope I do not spoil this now...
I will be there for the fourth time (hopefully).

Cheers, Ralf