• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MickJones

MickJones

• 160 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 15:09

Nice post Graham,
Sadly Howard Lees is no longer with us.

Sorry to be off topic here picblanc, i knew Howie well and didn't know he was gone, can you tell me anything?

Advertisement

#2 GrahamH65

GrahamH65

• 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 15:32

That's a damn shame about Howard.

I never met him, but I loved reading about his "Team Bike" Honda and LC exploits. His RD350LC racer had my all-time favourite LC colour scheme too! One of my longer term plans is to restore an RD350LC as a replica of his one. If I could ever afford one these days. Have you seen how much they sell for now?? :eek:

Happy days indeed. My road bikes for much of that time used to run on the seemingly endless supply of part-worn Dunlop Racing KR124 intermediate tyres that Kenny used to give me. I remember I had to scrape off "Not For Highway Use" from the sidewalls using a razor blade, but they used to pass MOTs that way. His generosity was a big thing back when I was running bikes whilst on the "Youth Teamaking Scheme" at £35 a week! :lol:

I kept my biking up right up until 2003 when I was "helped off" my Ducati by a dozy bint in a VW Polo and woke up in the hospital. I got into boats after that, but powerboats are horrifically expensive to run, so I may well sell mine this year and buy myself a track day Ducati 916 that I can trailer around and use away from the hazardous environment of the roads.

#3 GrahamH65

GrahamH65

• 4 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 15:33

Sorry to be off topic here picblanc, i knew Howie well and didn't know he was gone, can you tell me anything?

http://www.howardleesracing.co.uk/

#4 Steve Bateman

Steve Bateman

• 328 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 16:13

Hi Mick, Yes Howard was unfortunately killed in a light plane crash in 1992.

#5 MickJones

MickJones

• 160 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 23:28

Thanks Steve, jeez that's what comes of losing touch with people, this isn't the first time i've had a nasty surprise about old friends i'm afraid.

#6 tali1

tali1

• 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 19:57

Sorry bit late on this as i wasn't sure if he was of Howard Lees racing .Lees was also a staffer with Motor magazine -i can recall only 1 picture of him , door open looking back sitting in his 1988 Lancia Delta Integrale.Anyone have any pics?
Fellow Motor journo Mike Rutherford paid a personal tribute to him in his newspaper column.

Edited by tali1, 22 March 2010 - 20:00.

#7 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 13:31

Sorry bit late on this as i wasn't sure if he was of Howard Lees racing .Lees was also a staffer with Motor magazine -i can recall only 1 picture of him , door open looking back sitting in his 1988 Lancia Delta Integrale.Anyone have any pics?
Fellow Motor journo Mike Rutherford paid a personal tribute to him in his newspaper column.

You're more likely to get a response to Q's about Howard if you start a new thread on the subject...

#8 tali1

tali1

• 20 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 19:02

You're more likely to get a response to Q's about Howard if you start a new thread on the subject...

Trouble is in most cases a Mod will move a new Howard thread .....back here

#9 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:36

Trouble is in most cases a Mod will move a new Howard thread .....back here

I'm not entirely sure what your point is, but here is a Howard Lees thread anyway - and in the right place I suggest.

He looks very familiar to me, and as I was ad manager of Autocar & Motor (both titles having been bought by Haymarket and subsequently merged after a year or so of being run individually) in the late-eighties, is it possible I would've worked with Howard around then?

#10 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 17:17

Well done Stu, finger on the pulse! ;)
I must admit Howards car connections had passed me bye! :well:

#11 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 13:27

I'm not entirely sure what your point is, but here is a Howard Lees thread anyway - and in the right place I suggest.

Thanks Stuart :up: