Photo

China Earthquake

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,731 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:15

Apart from the tragic loss of 300 lives, has there been any new on the track or grandstands? Any damage?

Advertisement

#2 mclarenone

mclarenone

• 52 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:18

Not entirely sure but I think the track is in an entirely different region of china to where the earthquake took place.

#3 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:19

The earthquake hit Qinghai, not Shanghai. It's at least a thousand kilometres away.

And considering that it only hit a few hours ago, I'd say the Chinese authorities have greater priorities than the Shanghai circuit.

#4 MasterM

MasterM

• 44 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:23

It seems to me, earthquakes were in Qinghan and Xinjiang Provinces. To far from Shanghai.

http://earthquake.us.../quakes_all.php

#5 pgj

pgj

• 1,691 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:40

It is a long way from the track. Tweets suggest the dead-toll is much higher than 300. Thoughts and best wishes go to everyone affected by the quake near Tibet.

#6 MegaManson

MegaManson

• 2,102 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:48

Won't affect the GP, in terms of distance it is like asking will an earthquake in Cyprus affect the Brtitish GP

Shanghai is nowhere near the area of the quake

#7 RoutariEnjinu

RoutariEnjinu

• 2,442 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:25

And considering that it only hit a few hours ago, I'd say the Chinese authorities have greater priorities than the Shanghai circuit.

Not that the OP suggested that it should be a priority for the Chinese authorities of course.

#8 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 7,032 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:39

Won't affect the GP, in terms of distance it is like asking will an earthquake in Cyprus affect the Brtitish GP

Shanghai is nowhere near the area of the quake

Not everybody outside of Asia is familiar with China's geography, especially those in the US. Qinghai and Shanghai sounds familiar, even though one is a province while the other is an ultra-modern city.

#9 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:54

This event clearly has no physical impact on the race or circuit but it's likely someone will suggest a black armband or two minutes silence before the start.

#10 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:58

Not that the OP suggested that it should be a priority for the Chinese authorities of course.

Oh, I'm just saying - I can't imagine a racing circuit would be the highest priority during the aftermath of an earthquake unless the stands had people in them when the earthquake hit the city.

#11 pgj

pgj

• 1,691 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:30

Any earthquake is a tragedy. This is made worse in that the area is deprived and is made up of peasants and farmers. The devastation is likely to result in food shortages later in the year.

It puts F1 into perspective.

#12 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:35

I think as we've established there are no direct consequences for the circuit any further discussion related to the race weekend and it's events can continue here or, if you wish to discuss the earthquake in more general terms, please start a thread in the Paddock Club.