Photo

Early drag racing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:52

Had this interesting question dumped in my lap... anyone know the facts?

Ray, you seem to be up on all the old race cars-----did Kurtis Kraft make any 1/4 mile drag cars? Are there any racers back in 52 that used the old Chrysler flattie six in 1/4 mile drag racing? Thanks......Lee

Can anyone help out?

Advertisement

#2 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 17:05

Here's proof that we Brits invented drag racing - John Cobb vs Malcolm Campbell at Brighton in 1932, complete with "Christmas tree" lights. (see at 40 secs in)

http://www.britishpa...ord.php?id=2758

BTW when Malcolm talks of a winning speed of 76 mph that an average over the half-mile not a terminal (fastest) speed. :up:

Tony

#3 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 407 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 22:00

One of Frank Kurtis 500 s sports cars was used by Sam Parriott in drag racing in the 1950's . He won a championship with it in 1955. He moved on from that vehicle to another one-off creation by Frank Kurtis that was powered by a supercharged 427 Ford engine. This was in 1962. This car I understand was used soley for drag racing.

View this link and scroll down to the 4th and 5th pictures. You can see both cars there.

http://gassermadness.com/msp/

Another car was built by Frank Kurtis for Jack Lufin in 1964 which doubled as a race car on the drag strips but also at Bonneville. Raced for many years. Car inverted at Bonneville in 1973 and apparently was broken up for scrap following this event despite not being badly damaged.

http://www.landracin...tach=9879;image

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 22:53

Thanks for that, Fred...

I've passed that on, but any further info would undoubtedly be welcome. And then there's the flathead 6 part of the request.

#5 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 407 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 23:17

Ray , I take it the question about the Chrysler flathead in 1952 is a question about racing cars generally and not about Chrysler flathead powered Kurtis cars?

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 23:19

That's right... anything at all...

At least that's the way I read it. Or do I get the wrong impression about the first Parriott car, was it perhaps a flathead 6 too?

Edited by Ray Bell, 18 April 2010 - 23:20.

#7 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 407 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 23:53

That's right... anything at all...

At least that's the way I read it. Or do I get the wrong impression about the first Parriott car, was it perhaps a flathead 6 too?

Ray,the first Parriot car was Cadillac V8 powered. I will see what I can find on the Chrysler flathead question.

My general response to that question would be that the first Chrysler Hemi V8's were introduced in 1951 at 331 cubic inches and 180 horsepower. Hot rodders quickly realised the performance potential of these engines and the spate of OHV V8's that following in later years. This lead to the demise of the Ford Flathead V8 engine in early drag racing as the overheads took over. I'm not saying no one ever ran one of these but if there were there would not have been many given the above developments.

Edited by fredeuce, 19 April 2010 - 01:48.

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 00:16

Understand that completely, Fred... I wouldn't expect to find many...

The Caddy was an ohv or sidevalve? I guess it had to be ohv as the sidevalve engines had their exhausts in the centre of the vee. Don't worry about answering that question unless I'm wrong!

#9 Wirra

Wirra

• 1,326 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:50

Not quite on the specific topic but any excuse to post some pics. These are from my one and only attendance at 'early drag racing'. Castlereagh, NSW, circa 1969.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Joe Nix

Joe Nix

• 38 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 03:41

Ewald's site may have early history but you have to join to get full usage. I suspect its heavy with Western US drag racing history from 1960.

http://www.wediditfo...temap-free.html