* * * - - 18 votes

Jenson Button thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3116 replies to this topic

#1801 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:37

Seemed like one of those bad days for Jenson. The contact with Narain was the thing that really did it, but it just wasn't his day at all. The thing is the field is quite close this year so the potential for carving through the field is much reduced. There's some time before China. Hopefully it's a more normal race for him there.

What you saw today after his crash with Narain, was typical Button. He rolled the dice. :p Today he came up empty handed and looked an idiot. If it came off, he would have been lauded again as the cerebral assassin, able to call the conditions better than any other etc etc. :rolleyes: Apart from on full wets, neither driver had pace today, either on inters or full slicks. A lot of head scratching to be done in Woking.

Advertisement

#1802 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:47

What you saw today after his crash with Narain, was typical Button. He rolled the dice. :p Today he came up empty handed and looked an idiot. If it came off, he would have been lauded again as the cerebral assassin, able to call the conditions better than any other etc etc. :rolleyes: Apart from on full wets, neither driver had pace today, either on inters or full slicks. A lot of head scratching to be done in Woking.

This thread isn't about Hamilton or McLaren.

And no, there was no dice rolling, as much as you'd like there to be. There was no gamble, he simply tried to get back through the pack and failed.

#1803 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:05

This thread isn't about Hamilton or McLaren.

And no, there was no dice rolling, as much as you'd like there to be. There was no gamble, he simply tried to get back through the pack and failed.

Yes he did roll the dice, that's why he took on another set of inters when most people stayed out. He never had the pace to come through the field, so he rolled the dice.

#1804 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,035 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:09

I think I'm inclined to agree with TRE. When your race is ruined on a day with changeable conditions, you make a little gamble. Jenson had nothing to lose after his contact with Narain, so it was worth trying something.

At the end of the day the contact ruined his race, and it was such a minor thing. Narain wasn't troubling the apex of the corner at all. Jenson had miles of room to play with but he misjudged it, as is so easy to do in those conditions.

#1805 williams96

williams96

• 980 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:14

Yes he did roll the dice, that's why he took on another set of inters when most people stayed out. He never had the pace to come through the field, so he rolled the dice.

I don't think you can really class what Button did today as rolling the dice. He pitted for another set of inters because he needed a new set. It was out of necessity after trying to make his current set work and losing too much time to even Maldonado ahead.

Rolling the dice is what Ricciardo did today when he decided to be the first one on to slicks. He didn't need to, but decided it was worth a shot.

#1806 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:34

No he didn't roll the dice, you're just making stuff up.

Button: "I can't get the front tyres working. They're shuddering the whole time."
Pit » BUT: "Brake balance quick shift forwards. Let's get those tyres working."
Pit » BUT: "Okay, Jenson, box this lap. This will be another set of intermediates."

He had no pace on a set of inters and it couldn't be helped, that's why he pitted, it was suicide to keep driving on them and losing time.

#1807 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,035 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 13:38

Button: "I can't get the front tyres working. They're shuddering the whole time."
Pit » BUT: "Okay, Jenson, box this lap. This will be another set of intermediates."

He had no pace on a set of inters and it couldn't be helped, that's why he pitted, it was suicide to keep driving on them and losing time.

I'd forgotten about that. You are correct there.

#1808 Murraytastic

Murraytastic

• 75 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 14:41

There was another radio message which wasn't printed on the McLaren pitwall but was broadcast on TV and came I think in between the two I have bolded above, where Jenson said he had absolutely no grip at all on those tyres, so I also think the new inters were a necessity rather than a strategic gamble. He really does seem to struggle badly with inters more often than not; it's been noticeable in several races over the last few years. I knew he wasn't going to make much progress as soon as it became apparent that there would be a LOT of laps on inters.

Although it wouldn't have made any difference to the end result, I got the impression that JB was wanting to come in for slicks a few laps earlier than he did and the team wanted him to stay out in case it rained again, which cost him the place to Ricciardo. Although Ricciardo may well have got past him again at the end when Rosburg did (and WTF happened there? mistake? tyres finished?)

Definitely a weekend to forget. The last 2 weekends I think have summed up 12 years of the highs and lows of being a JB fan!

#1809 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,887 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:20

The HRT virtually stopped on the apex. Ah well, he did some great passes but both MACs didn't look hot today. Very bizarre. I was surprised Jenson didn't come in earlier for slicks, a top 10 finish was possible if he did.

#1810 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:22

The HRT virtually stopped on the apex. Ah well, he did some great passes but both MACs didn't look hot today. Very bizarre. I was surprised Jenson didn't come in earlier for slicks, a top 10 finish was possible if he did.

There still was a threat of rain but that just never arrived. Don't know if a top 10 finish would have been possible, although I still had hope for it until very late into the race. At the finish line Schumacher was waaay ahead in 10th though.

#1811 SonicAngel

SonicAngel

• 49 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 15:31

Agreed, especially since we heard him begging to get on those slicks and the pit crew denied him that pleasure saying it was going to rain again. Conclusion - always listen to Button in dicey weather, he knows best!

#1812 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,134 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 16:36

And yet he was doing fastest laps of the race on the set he moved over to (until he hit the traffic), I suspect the tyre pressures on the first set were too high and were not warming up.

I'd guess that their best bet for points was to hope that the rain would come as they had 10-lap newer tyres than most of the others, and were hoping that the others would either try and go the distance with degrading tyres or another pit-stop. A switch to slicks would have forced the others to switch to slicks as soon as they saw that they were successful, so they would not have had such an advantage.

#1813 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,303 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 22:39

And yet he was doing fastest laps of the race on the set he moved over to (until he hit the traffic), I suspect the tyre pressures on the first set were too high and were not warming up.

I'd guess that their best bet for points was to hope that the rain would come as they had 10-lap newer tyres than most of the others, and were hoping that the others would either try and go the distance with degrading tyres or another pit-stop. A switch to slicks would have forced the others to switch to slicks as soon as they saw that they were successful, so they would not have had such an advantage.

Actually he did a very fast lap 17, his first lap after fitting the new front wing and with new inters. He did a 2:00.936, the next fastest was Alonso in 2:02.119. So it doesn't seem like he had a problem warming the tyres.

I have a feeling that he may have damaged the tyres, being in too much of a hurry to recover lost time.

#1814 teejay

teejay

• 3,578 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:49

Agreed, especially since we heard him begging to get on those slicks and the pit crew denied him that pleasure saying it was going to rain again. Conclusion - always listen to Button in dicey weather, he knows best!

I just went through all the radio comms from the race - nowhere did Jenson beg to go onto dry tyres.

#1815 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 925 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 00:56

Button is a true sportsman. Just a few notes:

Jenson Button has revealed he will inflict his own personal punishment after losing his championship lead in Malaysia last weekend. That is to the fact that he had already accepted all the blame for his collision with Narain Karthikeyan at Sepang. As Nigel Mansell told UK radio Talksport: "It shows fantastic maturity (to apologize)." But his maturity won't stop him from "hurting" himself this weekend in Hawaii, when he competes in the Lavaman triathlon. "I'm going to hurt myself because I deserve the pain after (Malaysia)," he is quoted by the Telegraph newspaper. "I will make sure I hurt myself extra for such a bad day."

And here is the latest news from today's Lavaman Triathlon at Hawaii:

Formula One ace Jenson Button indulged his passion for triathlon with an impressive top 20 finish in the Lavaman Waikoloa Olympic distance event in Hawaii.

The race was won by 2010 world Ironman champion Chris McCormack, who is still attempting to make the Australian Olympic team for the London Games this summer.

:up:

#1816 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,303 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:12

I just went through all the radio comms from the race - nowhere did Jenson beg to go onto dry tyres.

I'd be surprised if Jenson was asking for slicks, since he was doing very well on his newish inters. In quick succession he got past Ricciardo, Massa and Petrov.

On the other hand, the team should have seen that Ricciardo having changed to slicks was going much faster, and they allowed Jenson to lose out through delaying.

If they'd pitted him earlier, it's doubtful whether Jenson could have finished in the points, but he could at least have closed up on the cars which were fighting for the minor points, and you never know what might happen.

#1817 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,092 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 21:36

Jenson Button has revealed he will inflict his own personal punishment after losing his championship lead in Malaysia last weekend. That is to the fact that he had already accepted all the blame for his collision with Narain Karthikeyan at Sepang. As Nigel Mansell told UK radio Talksport: "It shows fantastic maturity (to apologize)." But his maturity won't stop him from "hurting" himself this weekend in Hawaii, when he competes in the Lavaman triathlon. "I'm going to hurt myself because I deserve the pain after (Malaysia)," he is quoted by the Telegraph newspaper. "I will make sure I hurt myself extra for such a bad day."

Formula One ace Jenson Button indulged his passion for triathlon with an impressive top 20 finish in the Lavaman Waikoloa Olympic distance event in Hawaii.

The race was won by 2010 world Ironman champion Chris McCormack, who is still attempting to make the Australian Olympic team for the London Games this summer.

He finished the Olympic distance event in 2:01:55 in 6th place (out of almost 1200). Very impressive.

#1818 as65p

as65p

• 17,087 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 22:03

He finished the Olympic distance event in 2:01:55 in 6th place (out of almost 1200). Very impressive.

Indeed. :up:

Whenever I hear Button / Triathlon I can't help but smile. Remember how it was once discussed at length on this forum how triathlons would hurt his fitness to drive a F1 car? :drunk:

#1819 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,615 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:11

And then people dare to take Buttons early career as somekind of mark for how good he is. I'm quite sure that he didn't have this kind of attitude back then.

Advertisement

#1820 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,193 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:31

Would he be able to take time off in the August break to complete in the Olympics ;)

#1821 Owen

Owen

• 10,410 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:01

He's sounding happy.
http://www.planetf1....sionate-McLaren

#1822 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,092 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:11

Would he be able to take time off in the August break to complete in the Olympics ;)

If he keeps improving this won't be a joke. He's only 10 minutes off the best guys now. If he was still driving crap Hondas he'd probably decide to give it a go. GB already has two of the best triathletes, but it would be worth a shot.

Edited by tkulla, 04 April 2012 - 11:41.

#1823 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,887 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:21

He's sounding happy.

I really think he can win another championship here. The team really love him there and MAC always are in the hunt.

#1824 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,193 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:24

He's sounding happy.

Mind games?... his team mate's contract expires this year... yet not leaks about talks in the press... why not say he will stay for while and he loves it there.

I dont have a strong view TBH but its a possibility ... of course he could just be answering what he was asked in a completely genuine way.

#1825 schubacca

schubacca

• 795 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 14:26

I dont follow JB closely....

I rate him highly.

How long do you think that JB will be in F1? He really is driving superbly.

Another 5 years?

Also.....

Who is better?

Mansell or Button?

I love Mansell..... But I might have to go with Button here.....

Not sure...

#1826 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 14:30

I dont follow JB closely....

I rate him highly.

How long do you think that JB will be in F1? He really is driving superbly.

Another 5 years?

Also.....

Who is better?

Mansell or Button?

I love Mansell..... But I might have to go with Button here.....

Not sure...

I think another 5 years is likely
To the mansell question i don't have a clue.

#1827 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 14:31

At the moment, Mansell. Third best British driver IMO, after Clark and Stewart, but followed closely by Moss.

#1828 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,789 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 14:35

I'd be surprised if Jenson was asking for slicks, since he was doing very well on his newish inters. In quick succession he got past Ricciardo, Massa and Petrov.

On the other hand, the team should have seen that Ricciardo having changed to slicks was going much faster, and they allowed Jenson to lose out through delaying.

If they'd pitted him earlier, it's doubtful whether Jenson could have finished in the points, but he could at least have closed up on the cars which were fighting for the minor points, and you never know what might happen.

Maybe Jenson should have made his own decision?

Isn't he renowned for doing exactly that? :p

Edited by Kvothe, 04 April 2012 - 14:54.

#1829 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 15:10

Alonso and Button could be racing up to the 40's just like Schumi if they are fit enough and still have hunger for success

Edited by SirRacer, 04 April 2012 - 15:10.

#1830 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,193 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:30

Alonso and Button could be racing up to the 40's just like Schumi if they are fit enough and still have hunger for success

I think MS is making sure that no one will ever have that chance again ....

#1831 schubacca

schubacca

• 795 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:44

I think MS is making sure that no one will ever have that chance again ....

Why? Because he is now getting the better of 20-somethings?

Because he is embarrassing himself on the track?

I am not sure what you meant.....

Anyways.

If JB continues to drive well, then why can't he drive in his 40s?

#1832 PARAZAR

PARAZAR

• 1,081 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 17:59

Here's a video of Jenson from the triathlon in Hawai. First in his category and 6th overall. Not bad!

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#1833 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 560 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 20:59

I can personally attest that he's a beast of an athlete. I did a bike race in Miami the week before the Brazilian GP last year and Jenson along with Jan Ullrich were the celebrity guests. I started near Jenson and rode alongside for a bit, telling him how much I loved watching the race in Canada in person and what a great drive he had, but after about 10 miles he started to ramp up the pace and dropped me along with about 98% of the riders in the field, including a good number of serious racers. The worst part was, as I was struggling to stay with his group and killing myself to catch the draft, I noticed he was still casually talking to the guys around him like it wasn't much effort at all to hold 27mph on his bike. Hope he has a second career in triathlons one day, same as Lance Armstrong.

#1834 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,303 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 00:53

Maybe Jenson should have made his own decision?

Isn't he renowned for doing exactly that? :p

Clearly from Jenson's point of view there was no reason to change, his tyres were working well and he was overtaking people.

But the team had info which was not available to Jenson - Ricciardo was so much faster on slicks, that he was about to take back the position.

#1835 nc6

nc6

• 81 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 13:15

Button approached last season to replace Massa 2012, good choice to stick with McLaren as number 1
http://www.planetf1....-replace-Massa-

#1836 MP422

MP422

• 1,717 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 16:35

Button approached last season to replace Massa 2012, good choice to stick with McLaren as number 1
http://www.planetf1....-replace-Massa-

There are no #1's at Mclaren. They don't exist till one driver is mathematically eliminated from contention in the WDC. This is what makes Mclaren the best team in F1 IMO !

#1837 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 760 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 16:49

There are no #1's at Mclaren. They don't exist till one driver is mathematically eliminated from contention in the WDC. This is what makes Mclaren the best team in F1 IMO !

:rotfl:

#1838 PEW

PEW

• 1,064 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 17:46

I can personally attest that he's a beast of an athlete. I did a bike race in Miami the week before the Brazilian GP last year and Jenson along with Jan Ullrich were the celebrity guests. I started near Jenson and rode alongside for a bit, telling him how much I loved watching the race in Canada in person and what a great drive he had, but after about 10 miles he started to ramp up the pace and dropped me along with about 98% of the riders in the field, including a good number of serious racers. The worst part was, as I was struggling to stay with his group and killing myself to catch the draft, I noticed he was still casually talking to the guys around him like it wasn't much effort at all to hold 27mph on his bike. Hope he has a second career in triathlons one day, same as Lance Armstrong.

Nice insight Dan333SP - I find it amusing that we have lots of info about his off track activities these days but we have none from the days when he was supposed to be a playboy.

#1839 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 16:57

Nice insight Dan333SP - I find it amusing that we have lots of info about his off track activities these days but we have none from the days when he was supposed to be a playboy.

Posted Image

You can't blame Jenson alone, when the marketing guys try to promote such kind of image.

They are practically pushing him into the dolce vita. :eek:

Edited by IceSkyrim, 10 April 2012 - 16:58.

Advertisement

#1840 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 17:34

What a sidepod.

#1841 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,193 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 19:12

Posted Image

You can't blame Jenson alone, when the marketing guys try to promote such kind of image.

...well... you play to your driver's strenghts dont you ;)

#1842 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 19:15

More evidence that JB's life style got out of hand in the early days.................

Posted Image

Edited by olliek88, 10 April 2012 - 19:15.

#1843 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 19:25

Posted Image

I wonder what his left hand is doing there.

#1844 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 20:01

Posted Image

They all look a bit tired. :lol:

#1845 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 15:57

Nice Jenson interview :up:

http://sportinglife....0th-paragraphs-

"But I definitely have days when I'm an arse, a side of my character I don't show to you guys (the media).
"But I'm not as relaxed as people may think. Maybe it's just the perception from the outside.
"Even when you get the lows you have to stay strong and try and be as positive as you can."

That is why Button surrounds himself with people who can pick him up when times are tough, but also bring him back down to earth on occasions when he is appearing big headed.
"Even two of my friends who come to a lot of races, straight away will say if something is wrong.

"I remember taking pole in Montreal (Canadian Grand Prix) in 2005, but I crashed when I was third.
"When I went back to the paddock one of my friends, Richie, was there having a beer, which really annoyed me.
"I said to him 'You're never coming again. Did you not see what happened?', to which he replied 'Well, it's not my fault you were crap'.

"This was straight after the race, and he was right, so having people putting you in your place and who are not afraid to say what they think is really important.

#1846 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 20:42

More evidence that JB's life style got out of hand in the early days.................

Wow, never seen that one! Such a playboy indeed.

#1847 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 21:34

Nice Jenson interview :up:

http://sportinglife....0th-paragraphs-

"But I definitely have days when I'm an arse, a side of my character I don't show to you guys (the media).
"But I'm not as relaxed as people may think. Maybe it's just the perception from the outside.
"Even when you get the lows you have to stay strong and try and be as positive as you can."

That is why Button surrounds himself with people who can pick him up when times are tough, but also bring him back down to earth on occasions when he is appearing big headed.
"Even two of my friends who come to a lot of races, straight away will say if something is wrong.

"I remember taking pole in Montreal (Canadian Grand Prix) in 2005, but I crashed when I was third.
"When I went back to the paddock one of my friends, Richie, was there having a beer, which really annoyed me.
"I said to him 'You're never coming again. Did you not see what happened?', to which he replied 'Well, it's not my fault you were crap'.

"This was straight after the race, and he was right, so having people putting you in your place and who are not afraid to say what they think is really important.

Interesting interview :up:

#1848 RayInTorontoCanada

RayInTorontoCanada

• 568 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 14:36

Jenson must be licking his chops going into this meeting.

There's a very good chance that Jenson "secures" his first Pole since, what, Monaco, 2009 in a Brawn?

All JB needs is to do his job in Q3 (i.e. no "mistakes") and he's virtually guaranteed to start the Chinese GP from P1. I don't think an error free Q3 lap from either of the Mercedes GP boys is likely to prevent that. I also don't think a banzai Q3 lap from either Vettel or Webber is likely to prevent it either. Kimi? A slender, out-side chance...but not a realistic one. Nope!

So, Jenson must be licking his chops knowing that the other McLaren is likely to be separated by some very fast cars and drivers with genuine front-running race pace (namely VET / WEB, RAI / GRO) and he may also have SCH and/or ROS "running interference" for him (while their tyres last).

He'll want to "make hay whilst the sun is shining", so to speak.

You never know, Hamilton might even get 'hit' by Grosjean while tussling for 4th or 5th or 6th through the first series of bends.

The best case scenario for Jenson is a victory from "Pole" with, especially, Hamilton non-scoring. Even if Hamilton finishes 2nd, Button comes out of China leading the WDC again.

It's JB's race - and WDC standings leadership - to lose, frankly. After the howler he had at Malaysia, he'll need to convert this advantage because otherwise it's going to get very tight. Here is a chance to be Whitmarsh's main man at a time of the year when Hamilton's management will be looking at negotiating a contract.

The other advantage Button will have is that - being the highest placed MP4-27 on the grid - he'll have 'first call' to the pits (unless Hamilton wierdly 'jumps' him in the first stint) and he'll have McLaren's pitwall's complete focus in their effort to beat RBR, Lotus and Alonso in the Grand Prix.

Button fans should be licking their chops at the prospects...and hoping he doesn't cock it up!

Edited by ForeverF1, 12 April 2012 - 14:41.
Please use the search facility before starting new threads.

#1849 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 14:39

Well Buttons race to loose on Sunday.

#1850 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,377 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 15:09

Could be a lot of driver's race to lose if it is wet. The Ferrari and Sauber were pretty good wet race cars for example.