* * * - - 18 votes

Jenson Button thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3116 replies to this topic

#201 Massa

Massa

• 4,354 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:46

I think Button says that just for have a better contract with Mclaren.

Advertisement

#202 Lights

Lights

• 9,653 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:07

Button won't leave to Ferrari.

#203 onewingedangel

onewingedangel

• 925 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 09:25

Unless Jenson is thinking he has a better chance of beating Alonso in the same car than Lewis, and could expect Ferrari to have a better car than McLaren - I doubt he will move.

But if Jenson is thinking he has three more years before looking to retire, you can see why he may want to end his days as a Ferrari driver (and possibly get a better pay day) and take every shot to increase his chance at getting another WDC.

#204 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,140 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:22

Best drive of Jenson's career in Montreal today. Simply stunning win. :up: :up:

#205 teejay

teejay

• 3,712 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:28

Agreed.

Better than Aus or China last year!

#206 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,768 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:34

With some better luck in places, and a quicker reaction to the Massa incident in AUS, Jenson could be a lot closer to Vettel than he is currently. He's only been off the pace for a podium at Turkey really, everywhere else he's been right up there, could've won in Monaco (certainly had the pace to), and won stunningly yesterday in Canada...

He really seems in tune with this McLaren and has been a lot more racey than he was in the -25... Could JB be the 'anointed' one to take on Vettel this year?

#207 Menace

Menace

• 12,369 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:48

Brilliant in by Jenson, what an effort after where Hamilton and the penalties left him... this guy just had a drive of his life! :clap:

#208 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,768 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 03:52

Brilliant in by Jenson, what an effort after where Hamilton and the penalties left him... this guy just had a drive of his life! :clap:

Being nearly 2 seconds faster than the guys he was chasing at the end was just incredible, and not a big difference in tyre temps, 1 or 2 laps that would make a difference, but no-one seemed to have that feel Jenson had for the track... Vettel looked very ragged at the end, using a lot more kerb in places where Jenson was just working on getting the traction rather than using ALL of the track... to do a 1.16.9 on that very thin ribbon of dry track was very impressive, not putting a wheel out of place.

People continue to doubt Button's credentials as a 'top driver'despite the fact he's a WDC, but you can't win a race like that, and be that much faster than others at the end, without being pretty damn good.

#209 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:21

Loved the way Button drove today in the last part of the race, showing why the McLaren was favorited by some on this circuit but far more importantly just how most labels are just stupid. A very agressive and yet controlled drive by him in those fantastic laps with great and clean overtaking. :up:

#210 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:58

Controlled, smart driving. Great overtaking moves. Perhaps vs Alonso was a tad optimistic but im sure he never ment to tap Lonso into a spin. A truly fantastic win. Made me think about some of Hakkinens best races. Very good indeed.

#211 lanceroten

lanceroten

• 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:14

Not a Button fan or hater :wave: . But i'll say this, his drive today was one of the best i've seen in my 19 years watching F1. Yeah he got into Lewis, and yeah he got into my guy Fernando. But, I consider both racing incidents. Really great drive for Button, his fans should be very happy.

#212 athlon

athlon

• 509 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:50

I've been a JB-fan since 2004, this was probably the best race from him overall. He had great moments, like in Hungary, Brazil (2006), or Brazil (2009), but this was a fantastic performance from him. A truly champion-drive. Amazing.

#213 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,140 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:06

People continue to doubt Button's credentials as a 'top driver'despite the fact he's a WDC, but you can't win a race like that, and be that much faster than others at the end, without being pretty damn good.

:up: He's a class act both on & off the track imho. After yesterday's drive i've become a fan. Could have easily lost the plot with the penalty & 5-6 pit stops but hung in there & was rewarded for being (as Webber put it) very, very, very fast. :)

#214 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,465 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:15

That was one of Button's greatest drives, and certainly his greatest victory. They might not come along every Grand Prix, but when they do it's plenty to enjoy for all but the most blinkered of fanatics. He more than justified his place at McLaren with that win.

Not a Button fan or hater :wave: . But i'll say this, his drive today was one of the best i've seen in my 19 years watching F1. Yeah he got into Lewis, and yeah he got into my guy Fernando. But, I consider both racing incidents. Really great drive for Button, his fans should be very happy.

If only other fans of other drivers were as level headed as this. Top post :up:

#215 Lights

Lights

• 9,653 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:35

I've been a JB-fan since 2004, this was probably the best race from him overall. He had great moments, like in Hungary, Brazil (2006), or Brazil (2009), but this was a fantastic performance from him. A truly champion-drive. Amazing.

That pretty much sums it up. :up:

Almost same for me. Fan since 2003, and I still have fond memories of the races you just mentioned. And this one will easily go on that list.

#216 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 2,811 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:53

Is Button Vettel's kryptonite? Spa 2010 and Canada 2011, both rare errors by Seb while in proximity to Button.

I'd have to say, Button looks the absolute best out there at reading a changeable track.

#217 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,968 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:00

Button fan since 2001 :up:
He was able to be fast as soon as he was out of the pits.

#218 justice

justice

• 24 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:03

I think Button has developed in leaps and bounds and what a stunning race he had!

#219 swerved

swerved

• 3,683 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:23

I'm not a fan of Button as such, i just prefer him out of the 2 McLaren drivers, but i'd have to agree with him and many here, that was a performance to be remembered, one to rewatch, his supercalm attitude payed huge dividends in that one, I wanted Vettel to win but with a couple of laps to go i couldn't help cheering on Button, not because Seb didn't deserve to win, but because Button most certainly did.

If anyone had any doubts as to his racecraft, or his entitlement to his WDC, that performance should have dispelled them, i was mesmerised by his precision and relentlessness and it was a pleasure to watch, I dont know what he had on his cornflakes yesterday, but he needs to have more of it, it was sublime.

Advertisement

#220 muramasa

muramasa

• 3,222 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:26

What a mighty win in, what a dramatic manner. :up:

Always pleasure to see him win, how he celebrates and share victory with his crew. Makes me feel as if I'm there celebrating together, makes me wanna applaud him. Top man and top driver :up:

#221 Lights

Lights

• 9,653 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:33

Is Button Vettel's kryptonite? Spa 2010 and Canada 2011, both rare errors by Seb while in proximity to Button.

I'd have to say, Button looks the absolute best out there at reading a changeable track.

Don't forget Turkey 2009!

Although realistically I guess it's a bit far fetched. As much as I'd like it. :D

#222 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:34

I would love for Button to be Vettels main challenger throughout the rest of the year. Would also love to see him take a second championship. Here's to hoping :up:

#223 femi

femi

• 6,353 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:35

Button won't leave to Ferrari.

Why not? 2 things need to be in place; Ferrari needs to want him and JB needs to convince Ferrari to ditch their current policy and grant him equal status to Alonso. Remember JB said if he doesn't get that, he will quit racing.

Edited by femi, 13 June 2011 - 11:38.

#224 femi

femi

• 6,353 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:38

I would love for Button to be Vettels main challenger throughout the rest of the year. Would also love to see him take a second championship. Here's to hoping :up:

The funny thing is RB still don't not consider him (JB) a threat even though he is lying 2nd. CH said Vettel's main title competitors failed to score yesterday. It is last season all over again. RB had the same attitude when JB was lying second.

#225 windoesnot

windoesnot

• 128 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:40

Button fan since the 1998 Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch :)

Jenson is without doubt one of the or the best driver currently in changable weather conditions which need a great amount of touch and feel for the track and how it evolves each lap. The finess in his driving style is a big factor in this, along with his huge amount of driving talent and race craft. He did the same thing in Australia last year being the first to switch from inters to slicks and making them work. No doubt all those weekends spent racing in karts and junior formula's in the UK helped him leant how to drive in such conditions :p

Another driver who could do this very well (albeit with a very, very different style) was someone we saw in the paddock this weekend in Jean Alesi (thinking Japan 95 before his engine blew up).

Great victory, great driver and an absolute top bloke to match. :clap:

#226 Augurk

Augurk

• 1,932 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:41

The funny thing is RB still don't not consider him (JB) a threat even though he is lying 2nd. CH said Vettel's main title competitors failed to score yesterday. It is last season all over again. RB had the same attitude when JB was lying second.

Let's hope he proves them wrong this year. Last year he was a definite challenger, just lost out a bit too much in the last part of the season.

#227 Lights

Lights

• 9,653 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:57

Why not? 2 things need to be in place; Ferrari needs to want him and JB needs to convince Ferrari to ditch their current policy and grant him equal status to Alonso. Remember JB said if he doesn't get that, he will quit racing.

Well that's exactly why I don't think it will happen, as long as Alonso will be at Ferrari (he signed up to which year again?) they're not gonna change their policy. And at the same time Button knows what's going on at Ferrari, so I doubt he's interested.

#228 swerved

swerved

• 3,683 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 13:11

Well that's exactly why I don't think it will happen, as long as Alonso will be at Ferrari (he signed up to which year again?) they're not gonna change their policy. And at the same time Button knows what's going on at Ferrari, so I doubt he's interested.

I think Jenson is fine where he is, he's content there, has built up a good relationship within the team and is able to take the long view, I think he as much faith in McLaren as they have in him.

#229 RenArto

RenArto

• 96 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 13:19

2016 I think.
To be honest I think Button will stay at McLaren until he ends his career / is not competitive enough for a top drive.

#230 Lights

Lights

• 9,653 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 13:22

I think Jenson is fine where he is, he's content there, has built up a good relationship within the team and is able to take the long view, I think he as much faith in McLaren as they have in him.

Yes I agree, it's the perfect combination at the moment. I hope he will continue racing at McLaren for many years.

#231 ocp

ocp

• 155 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 13:42

I've been a Jenson supporter for years and watching yesterdays race and how it developed was just incredible.

One word comes to mind and that is: "Racecraft"

Happy :smoking:

#232 tharippa

tharippa

• 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 13:56

Just found Jenson's quote from 2005:

"The Michael Schumacher's of this world, Fernando Alonso, Kimi Raikkonen - personally I think I can do a better job than all of them," said Jenson Button to the Sunday People. "Some of that is because of the confidence I have inside. Maybe being big-headed means that if I'm in the best car on the grid, or even a car equal to those of the best drivers on the grid, I'll win because I have the confidence to achieve that."

Winning the world championship remains Jenson's ultimate aim, but it's currently looking a somewhat unlikely target. However well Honda have done in recent years, there's always been on other team making a big step ahead. This year has been poor, with inconsistent performances from the team hindering development, but that's not put Button off.

"I'd be devastated if I didn't win the championship because it's what I've always wanted to achieve," he added. "I work so hard - harder than people realise. If I didn't win the world championship in the future I won't be able to live with myself, probably. But Honda won't leave F1 until they win the championship.

"I'm not satisfied because I'm disappointed to have spent so long not winning races. I've been asked the question so many times about not winning in 100 races. But nobody would have won a race in the cars that I had in those 100 races. I'm 100 per cent sure of that."

Button's F1 career hasn't been easy, with the driver going through three teams since his debut in 2000, before eventually ending up at BAR, now Honda. Despite two contract disputes during his time at Brackley, he's glad he's settled at Honda, and has committed his medium-term future to the team.

#233 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,341 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 14:02

The anger and passion in Jenson's voice after the collision with Lewis was quite rare, he was really angry. It was also at odds with the chuminess that Jenson exudes towards Lewis outside of the cockpit. "What is HE doing?!" Did Jenson thrive on this perceived wrong doing to spur him on to victory? The way he came back to win after so many stops and a penalty was very reminiscent of Webber's amazing comeback win at Nurburgring.

#234 swerved

swerved

• 3,683 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 15:41

High praise for Jenson from Martin Whitmarsh "I think it was one of the best wins in the history of F1, let alone his,"

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/92328

#235 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 15:44

I think Jenson turned a corner after 2004, where he also was distracted (his own words) by the fortune and fame he got. Drove more consistent, more focus, mellowed out and exploited his smooth style more. Maybe he doesnt have the raw pace of Hamilton but he makes that up with a lot of other qualities.

#236 athlon

athlon

• 509 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 17:48

I think Jenson turned a corner after 2004, where he also was distracted (his own words) by the fortune and fame he got. Drove more consistent, more focus, mellowed out and exploited his smooth style more. Maybe he doesnt have the raw pace of Hamilton but he makes that up with a lot of other qualities.

I agree about the Hamilton-Button comparison. I believe, two factors have played signifciant role on JB's career, the BAR/Williams contract gate, and the two years between 2007-2008 with the underdog Hondas.

#237 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,956 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 18:14

I don't know if Jenson peruses this forum and in particularly this thread, however, if he does, I would like to say to him, Jenson well done mate, what an incredible drive!

#238 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,677 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 18:15

I have been a button fan since 2000.i enjoyed the race so much I rewatched it again, awesome performance from a top class wdc

Edited by Callisto, 13 June 2011 - 18:17.

#239 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,949 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 19:03

he was in conditions he loves. unlike many, i dont feel that mp4-26 was 2s faster than the rest of the field, and i think that a lot of it was to do with Jenson again judging the conditions and doing that to the best of his ability.

he did a great drive, and made the car look dominant, when i dont think it was that much. his style is very good aswell.

best drive of his career imo, apart from maybe Brazil 09.

Advertisement

#240 MinT

MinT

• 2,058 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 19:09

Best drive of his career and one of the best F1 drives.

He will have earnt some respect at last with that.

#241 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,843 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 19:11

Yesterday I was reminded of Monaco 2004 when he was hunting down Trulli and getting closer lap by lap. The race director kept showing onboards of Trulli looking back, Button looking forwards, and the slowly reducing gap. Brilliant stuff.

But then, I'm a fanboy.

#242 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,798 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 23:59

Button's win reminded me in no small measure of Jim Clark's dramatic drive from the back and near win at Monza in 1967. What he was able to accomplish yesterday will go down IMHO as one of the great all time drives.

#243 solochamp07

solochamp07

• 187 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 00:02

Schooled 'em all on this Sunday, including a few smug WDC-types. :up:

Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke, says I.

Class. :smoking:

#244 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,140 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:23

Yesterday I was reminded of Monaco 2004 when he was hunting down Trulli and getting closer lap by lap. The race director kept showing onboards of Trulli looking back, Button looking forwards, and the slowly reducing gap. Brilliant stuff.

But then, I'm a fanboy.

I'm no fanboy (i do like Jenson though) & i agree it was brilliant stuff. One of the best wins i've witnessed in the 30+ years i've been following the sport. He is without doubt the best driver in changing conditions on the grid ATM. :cool:

#245 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:28

mwaaaa id say that Korean race last year wasnt his best ;) Button does sometimes seems to get lost on setup and lack of confidence in the car. If he can perform more consistent on all tracks and mclaren gets his setup sorted who knows he might push those red buls on more tracks like canada.

#246 rommel

rommel

• 294 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:22

High praise for Jenson from Martin Whitmarsh "I think it was one of the best wins in the history of F1, let alone his,"

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/92328

You cannot compare the DRS era with previous races really because it totally changes the dynamics of the races. How many races in the past would have been changed and been greater if drivers have DRS? I(t's much easier to do impressive drives these days when you can over take so easy, although it was still a great drive.

Button is a confusing guy to rate. Distinctly average for large portions of his career, and let go from his first two teams, even in his championship year he was run close by journeyman Barrichello, yet for two seasons now he is matching Hamilton and giving him trouble, not with his speed, which I think is only slightly above average, but his race craft and confidence, which is the thing that stands out with Button. To be slower than someone and continually be on their heels on the points table means you are a better racer than them.

Edited by rommel, 14 June 2011 - 06:33.

#247 topical

topical

• 2,179 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:58

A great drive by Jenson. Problem is he does this far too seldom compared to his teammate.

#248 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,199 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:21

It was a great drive, one of his best wins, but let us be clear: he's only been in contention for two outright dry victories: Monza last year and Monaco this year and narrowly lost both. I still don't regard him as a serious WDC challenger unless he can overcome this fundamental issue because not every race is going to take place under changeable conditions.

#249 H2H

H2H

• 2,891 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:23

I'm no fanboy (i do like Jenson though) & i agree it was brilliant stuff. One of the best wins i've witnessed in the 30+ years i've been following the sport.

As I wrote before, that is one of the reason why I enjoyed that race so much. :up:

#250 GSiebert

GSiebert

• 1,893 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:41

Button's win reminded me in no small measure of Jim Clark's dramatic drive from the back and near win at Monza in 1967. What he was able to accomplish yesterday will go down IMHO as one of the great all time drives.

But Clark didnt have that DRS crap to help him. :drunk: