* * * - - 18 votes

Jenson Button thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3116 replies to this topic

#2751 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,561 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:58

Shows Jensons true class. Comes into Hamiltons team being told he's on a hiding to nothing. Never takes a hiding, is always close to Hamilton and beats him in 2011 which so many said he'd never do. After 3 years as team mates, Hamilton quits and takes a punt on Mercedes.

Its looking likely that Jenson has beaten Lewis in one year out of three so its clear Jenson is pure class compared to Hamilton.

Advertisement

#2752 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:07

Kinda weird. Button and Perez seems like a good fit for the team. Two drivers who probably have similar set-ups. Button is clearly going to finish his career at the team with maybe another title next season. :D

Here's hoping! :D I really hope McLaren can carry on from their current form, and this time without the mistakes. I'm really looking forward to next year now :)

#2753 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,136 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:08

Not that relevant but apparently Jenson has un-followed Lewis on Twitter.

#2754 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:11

lol. I mean, lol that he's been following it previously.

#2755 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:12

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#2756 KavB

KavB

• 1,079 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:14

:rotfl:

#2757 Lights

Lights

• 9,323 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:15

Imagine someone in 08 saying "JB will continue to drive in F1, go to the new brawn team, become world champion, move to McLaren and become their lead driver". I mean, he was basically out of F1 after struggling with Rubens 2008 and now he is WDC and lead driver of one of the best teams in F1.

From this point of view it's been a great journey. Indeed, in 2008 I didn't dare to dream of what he achieved in the past 4 years. Not that I see 'becoming McLaren's lead driver' as a particular accomplishment though, just like Jenson I don't think McLaren has a lead driver.

#2758 H0R

H0R

• 782 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:16

Jenson is living proof that it takes more than raw speed to be successful in F1. Hamilton is probably faster than him, but I agree that Jenson drove him out of McLaren. Because he is obviously more of an integrative person than Hamilton. Schu and Alonso did similar things at Ferrari, Hamilton obviously never understood the importance of being a team leader and team player as well.

#2759 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,153 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:28

During the Mark Hughes controversial article discussions I checked the followers of each driver and Lewis was not on Jensons list, so that its not a very recent thing (sorry - spoils the story a bit!).

I'd guess its more to do with their different interests (I don't think that Jenson is that into Lewis's music tastes?).

Advertisement

#2760 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,335 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:30

I love how Hamilton leaving because McLaren are not up to the task, is now being twisted into a Button win. It's been a bad year for Button, but lets not get desperate.

#2761 Lights

Lights

• 9,323 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:33

During the Mark Hughes controversial article discussions I checked the followers of each driver and Lewis was not on Jensons list, so that its not a very recent thing (sorry - spoils the story a bit!).

I'd guess its more to do with their different interests (I don't think that Jenson is that into Lewis's music tastes?).

Actually, I thought the same. I checked it some months ago and I think Lewis wasn't there either. But because everybody says it now I believed it, but now I think he never had Lewis on there in the first place.

#2762 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,663 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:34

But they were best friends, right?, or maybe it was just PR....

#2763 karlth

karlth

• 16,242 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:36

Jenson is living proof that it takes more than raw speed to be successful in F1. Hamilton is probably faster than him, but I agree that Jenson drove him out of McLaren. Because he is obviously more of an integrative person than Hamilton. Schu and Alonso did similar things at Ferrari, Hamilton obviously never understood the importance of being a team leader and team player as well.

It is quite a stretch to connect Button's performance with Hamilton leaving. Hamilton left in 2012 when Button has barely been a factor due to various problems, perhaps if Lewis had signed up in 2011 then you would have a point. More than anything it is the continuous operational and reliability problems at McLaren that caused Lewis to consider a different team.

Anyway I wish Button all the best at McLaren and I'm sure he'll have the upper hand against Perez who I think is overrated.

#2764 fed up

fed up

• 1,953 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:39

I checked ages ago - Lewis follows Jenson, Jenson hasn't ever followed Lewis.

Cheap journalism :down:

#2765 Lights

Lights

• 9,323 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:43

I checked ages ago - Lewis follows Jenson, Jenson hasn't ever followed Lewis.

Cheap journalism :down:

Agree, but at least Noble made up for it.

https://twitter.com/...641442051694593
https://twitter.com/...641673220763648

:D

#2766 MinT

MinT

• 2,029 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:50

Funny that according to Hami fans this decision has nothing whatsoever to do with Button - but for the last 2 years they have been saying how nasty Button was turning the team against poor little Lew.

It seems pretty obviuos that Button fitting in well at McLaren has, at least in some way, led to Hami feeling its time to move home.

#2767 karlth

karlth

• 16,242 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:58

Funny that according to Hami fans this decision has nothing whatsoever to do with Button - but for the last 2 years they have been saying how nasty Button was turning the team against poor little Lew.

Are you grouping all Hamilton fans into a single entity called "Hami fans"? Opinions vary, explanations differ, things change, people change, hairstyles change, interest rates fluctuate.

#2768 WitnessX

WitnessX

• 1,153 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:04

But they were best friends, right?, or maybe it was just PR....

I think it's more that they don't have the same interests out of racing.

Lewis said he has known Jenson since he was 11 years old, (IIRC) John Button used to supply and maintain the engines in Lewis's Karts.

Like most people, when work finishes you go home. Sometimes you meet people at work who have the same interests and you meet them after work. That doesn't mean you don't get on with the others.

Here is a recent piece with Lewis talking about Jenson...(german)
http://www.motorspor...e_12092013.html

#2769 MinT

MinT

• 2,029 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:08

Are you grouping all Hamilton fans into a single entity called "Hami fans"? Opinions vary, explanations differ, things change, people change, hairstyles change, interest rates fluctuate.

Mostly I mean the more extreme individuals that also touted the conspiracy theories and change their point of view on a weekly basis so as to fit the latest twists and turns of the Hami reality show.

#2770 F1EC

F1EC

• 863 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:13

That whole "Jenson stopped following Lewis on Twitter" thing just confirmed to me how puerile and pathetic most F1 "journalists" are. Not that it needed confirming.

#2771 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,929 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 13:47

I think it's more that they don't have the same interests out of racing.

Lewis said he has known Jenson since he was 11 years old, (IIRC) John Button used to supply and maintain the engines in Lewis's Karts.

Like most people, when work finishes you go home. Sometimes you meet people at work who have the same interests and you meet them after work. That doesn't mean you don't get on with the others.

Here is a recent piece with Lewis talking about Jenson...(german)
http://www.motorspor...e_12092013.html

IIRC, only recently Jenson and Lewis went out with the engineers for an evening meal. The problem was never Jenson.

#2772 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,503 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 14:17

Anyway I wish Button all the best at McLaren and I'm sure he'll have the upper hand against Perez who I think is overrated.

Agree with everything; good luck, Button - he'll have the upper hand and I also think Perez is (slightly) overrated.

#2773 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,631 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 15:58

I bet Jenson can't believe his luck! Lewis has basically handed him the #1 seat in a top three car for next season. What a wonderfully generous gift!

#2774 thesham01

thesham01

• 1,335 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 16:07

I bet Jenson can't believe his luck! Lewis has basically handed him the #1 seat in a top three car for next season. What a wonderfully generous gift!

He's used to that feeling.

#2775 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,899 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:14

It is quite a stretch to connect Button's performance with Hamilton leaving.

Maybe but the bottom line is that Button joined Hamiltons team and rather than being annihilated by him, has broadly matched him and grown into the fabric of the team and now Hamiltion is leaving. I doubt that would have been the case had Button driven like a number 2 for 3 years.

I think what Button has achieved at McLaren has been hugely underestimated. His teammate was Lewis Hamilton after all. If anything other than annihilating Hamilton was a failure, then some peoples barometers are a little off the scale methinks!

#2776 karlth

karlth

• 16,242 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:33

Maybe but the bottom line is that Button joined Hamiltons team and rather than being annihilated by him, has broadly matched him ...

Matched?

The only time that Button has really been close to Hamilton's pace is in the second half of 2011 and then Jenson might have even slightly quicker. Apart from that Hamilton has obviously been the faster driver. Lewis has outqualified Button by huge margin (38-14) over their 3 years together and when Jenson has managed to outpace in a race it has been considered so remarkable that either Hamilton or this thread has thrown a fit.

#2777 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,828 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:51

it has been considered so remarkable that either Hamilton or this thread has thrown a fit.

Well, if this thread has thrown a fit then it REALLY has to be true then, right?

Edit: THIS thread is not what you meant, you probably meant the paragon of objectivity in these boards namely the variuos Jenson vs Lewis threads.

Edited by Force Ten, 01 October 2012 - 09:54.

#2778 speng

speng

• 1,299 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:55

Maybe but the bottom line is that Button joined Hamiltons team and rather than being annihilated by him, has broadly matched him and grown into the fabric of the team and now Hamiltion is leaving. I doubt that would have been the case had Button driven like a number 2 for 3 years.

I think what Button has achieved at McLaren has been hugely underestimated. His teammate was Lewis Hamilton after all. If anything other than annihilating Hamilton was a failure, then some peoples barometers are a little off the scale methinks!

Of the races they have both finished, Hamilton has crossed the finish line ahead 23 to 12. Of the 11 races Hamilton has retired from in their time as teammates he was ahead on track 6 times at the time of his retirement. Of the seven times JB has retired from a race he was ahead on track on one of those occassions.

JB is very fast, capable of being faster and beating Hamilton over a race, capable of being very close and pushing Hamilton in a race... but the position being put forward that they are equal on race pace is misguided. Hamilton is twice as likely to be ahead or finish ahead. Of course he is also almost twice as likely not to finish......!

#2779 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:22

God I'm glad Lewis is leaving.. Just so it is possible now to read about JB only in his own thread, not about how great was Hami and that Jenson just lucked to match Lewis couple of times.

On the other hand, I really loved to read through the Rosberg' thread, so...

Advertisement

#2780 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,211 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:37

God I'm glad Lewis is leaving.. Just so it is possible now to read about JB only in his own thread, not about how great was Hami and that Jenson just lucked to match Lewis couple of times.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the bad luck stories in the NR v LH thread :)

#2781 Lazy

Lazy

• 5,211 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 11:38

@ speng - Absolutely nothing about race pace in Rineharts post.

Edited by Lazy, 01 October 2012 - 11:38.

#2782 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 14:13

What button just tweeted to jonathan noble about the whole button unfollowed hamilton on twitter.
Genius :lol:
@NobleF1 Never followed him... Makes a story though!!

#2783 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,557 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 16:04

Matched?

The only time that Button has really been close to Hamilton's pace is in the second half of 2011 and then Jenson might have even slightly quicker. Apart from that Hamilton has obviously been the faster driver. Lewis has outqualified Button by huge margin (38-14) over their 3 years together and when Jenson has managed to outpace in a race it has been considered so remarkable that either Hamilton or this thread has thrown a fit.

And yet they were only recently completely matched for points scored in their time together, a mixture of team-related setup issues and reliability separating that now.

#2784 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 13:52

No special helmet for Suzuka? :|

#2785 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,274 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:10

This .... depending on how LH performs for the rest of his career - particularly his next move - and of course what he makes of the oppotunity to be No 1 at a leading team, JB's overall historical rating as a driver could improve massively over where it was in 2009 ie a talented but inconsistent journeyman who lucked into a title in a dominant car against a handicapped team mate to one of the most complete drivers of our generation who despite not being the quickest took advantage of every opportunity that came his way once he had matured as a driver and a man.

#2786 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,274 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:17

.... and how many pages long was this thread before he beat LH in 2011.... like it or not, how JB's career is viewed in historical terms is likely to be determined by the period 2010 to 2012 as LH is likely to be the best team mate (And therefore measuring stick) that he will have.

If FA's reputation cant escape from 2007 its pretty unlikely that JB's will not forever be defined by his time with LH unless SP turns out to be the real deal or after him he goes on to face another really strong team mate in his prime.

#2787 Force Ten

Force Ten

• 2,828 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:23

like it or not, how JB's career is viewed in historical terms is likely to be determined by the period 2010 to 2012 as LH is likely to be the best team mate (And therefore measuring stick) that he will have.

...and considering that, JB has done just fine.

#2788 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,433 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:27

Any ideas on what Jenson might do to overcome the 5-place penalty in Suzuka?

He's said that McLaren will 'think outside the box': http://www.autosport...t.php/id/103090

I noticed that in FP1 his speed trap figure was just 303.7, in FP2 it was 311.4 (second fastest).

I suppose the main choice is high top speed for overtaking vs trying to stop less often. The problem with very high top speed being that the gearing/low downforce makes for a slower car overall. The problem with trying to stop less often is that there is a gap between hard and soft tyres, so the hard tyres should be quite a lot slower. Does anyone know how that worked out in FPs?

#2789 Dalton007

Dalton007

• 2,929 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:43

Jenson will need to overtake so a low downforce might help him down the two main straights, but less apex speed in the twisty bits and perhaps worse tyre deg. Jenson needs pole here - I don't think that will happen, so 3rd or 4th which drops him into the midfield. Tough decision. I think he might have to try something different to get a podium here.

#2790 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,433 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:44

.... and how many pages long was this thread before he beat LH in 2011.... like it or not, how JB's career is viewed in historical terms is likely to be determined by the period 2010 to 2012 as LH is likely to be the best team mate (And therefore measuring stick) that he will have.

If FA's reputation cant escape from 2007 its pretty unlikely that JB's will not forever be defined by his time with LH unless SP turns out to be the real deal or after him he goes on to face another really strong team mate in his prime.

It really depends on what happens from now on.

If Jenson achieves nothing much in the next seasons at McLaren, people will talk about his partnership with Lewis.

But on the other hand, if Jenson now gets a succession of WDCs at McLaren, nobody except hardcore Lewis fans will be talking very much about 2010 to 2012.

#2791 Tenmantaylor

Tenmantaylor

• 8,305 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:47

What's with this wasteful trend of having a new helmet and livery for every race anyway? Can never recognise drivers instantly any more either.

#2792 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:50

Check the MP4-27 thread

Posted Image

or here.

Edited by jrg19, 05 October 2012 - 14:51.

#2793 northanmonkee

northanmonkee

• 115 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:53

But on the other hand, if Jenson now gets a succession of WDCs at McLaren

might have to up his 1 lap pace a tad to make this feasable

#2794 sofarapartguy

sofarapartguy

• 1,010 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 14:53

What's with this wasteful trend of having a new helmet and livery for every race anyway? Can never recognise drivers instantly any more either.

It is JB's thread, not SV's.

Jenson has had a unique helmet livery only for Suzuka, Monaco and Silverstone I believe. And as he has called Japan his second home I was expecting him to bring the white helmet as well.

#2795 BillBald

BillBald

• 3,433 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 15:03

might have to up his 1 lap pace a tad to make this feasable

If he gets a car he can work with, no reason why that shouldn't happen.

Reduced fuel load might help, if the new engine formula comes in for 2014 or whenever.

#2796 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 16:28

It really depends on what happens from now on.

If Jenson achieves nothing much in the next seasons at McLaren, people will talk about his partnership with Lewis.

But on the other hand, if Jenson now gets a succession of WDCs at McLaren, nobody except hardcore Lewis fans will be talking very much about 2010 to 2012.

With his stonger team mate out of the way for 2013... and next year´s car to be an evolution of this year´s Jenson is top favorite for the WDC.

#2797 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 4,850 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 19:50

Button doesn't normally do it, but Japan is a special case.

#2798 dave12

dave12

• 703 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 19:56

Check the MP4-27 thread

Posted Image

or here.

Love it :love:

#2799 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 20:00

looking forward to see if there is anything different on the sides.

Advertisement

#2800 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 6,105 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 20:37

It's absolutely fine if Button just makes small changes to his helmet, but if he starts changing the entire colour every week there'll be hell to play :p