Stuttgart and Courtland race tracks

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RJE

RJE

• 122 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:29

Can anybody help?

I am trying to find some history of two race tracks in the US, both I believe at the time operational airfields. The first is Stuttgart in Arkensas and the second Courtland Alabama.

My particular interest is programs or entry lists for the early to mid 1960's as I am trying to trace the history and owner/driver's name of a car that I now own and which I now know raced at these venues in 1962 and 1965. The car was a Formula Junior Britannia and was run with the number 46. I would dearly like to contact anybody who knows somebody who was involved with the car during this time.

I assume that the car would also have run at other circuits in or around that area of the States and in that time frame so any other help or personal recollections would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement

#2 RAP

RAP

• 702 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:59

Can anybody help?

I am trying to find some history of two race tracks in the US, both I believe at the time operational airfields. The first is Stuttgart in Arkensas and the second Courtland Alabama.

My particular interest is programs or entry lists for the early to mid 1960's as I am trying to trace the history and owner/driver's name of a car that I now own and which I now know raced at these venues in 1962 and 1965. The car was a Formula Junior Britannia and was run with the number 46. I would dearly like to contact anybody who knows somebody who was involved with the car during this time.

I assume that the car would also have run at other circuits in or around that area of the States and in that time frame so any other help or personal recollections would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I can't help specifically re Britannia but have you been in touch with Duncan Rabagliati of the FJHRA ? He is the font of all knowledge when it comes to FJ and certainly would be pleased to hear from you.
formulajunior@googlemail.com

#3 RJE

RJE

• 122 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:22

I can't help specifically re Britannia but have you been in touch with Duncan Rabagliati of the FJHRA ? He is the font of all knowledge when it comes to FJ and certainly would be pleased to hear from you.
formulajunior@googlemail.com

Thanks for that. I do know Duncan but I am not sure if he can help in this instant. I am not sure that the events that the car took place in were genuine FJ races, as I can find no FJ results for meetings at these venues.

#4 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 12:12

RJE:

Willem Oosthoek checked his files on 1962 and 1963. The Courtland events were hosted by the Alabama and Tennessee Valley regions of the SCCA, the Stuttgart one by the Arkansas region. In 1962 Stuttgart had National status, but entry lists are hard to find for these events. Very often the programs themselves contained no entries, which were inserted on a separate sheet of paper on race weekend.

A few Formula Junior entries show up in race reports at Courtland and Stuttgart. They raced against other modified or production classes, or against Formula V entries.

No mention of a Britannia entry in those two years, I'm afraid.

all research Willem Oosthoek

#5 RJE

RJE

• 122 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 17:21

Jerry,

Thank you for looking.

I got the reference from The Desert Centre Triumph Register's web site (http://www.dctra.org) where a whole pile of photographs by Al Clements have been posted under the heading of " Vintage Racing and AutoX from the 60's ". There are what I assume to be dates along with the groups of pictures and I have been able to establish that there were races on those dates.

There is no doubt the car pictured is mine, and clearly displays the number 46. Could it be that it was entered under a name other than Britannia for some obscure reason.

Thanks again.

#6 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 20:02

RJE:
Some of the dates on the website you mention are incorrect and some photos are intermingled, so they show up under a different race.

The following dates are correct for 1962 and 1963, with the feature winners:

- Stuttgart, 4th Prairie GP [SCCA National], May 27, 1962 [winner: Hap Sharp with Cooper Monaco]
- Courtland, One Hour [Alabama Regional], July 1, 1962 [winner:George Robertson with Corvette]
- Courtland [Tennessee Valley Regional], Sep 16, 1962 [winner: Richard Macon with Cooper Monaco]

- Stuttgart, 5th Prairie GP [Arkansas Regional], April 21, 1963 [winner: Enus Wilson with Birdcage Maserati]
- Courtland [Tennessee Valley Regional], June 9, 1963 [winner: Jim Watson with Porsche 550RS]
- Courtland, Confederate GP [Alabama Regional], July 7, 1963 [winner: Jim Watson with Porsche 550RS]
- Courtland [Tennessee valley Regional], Aug 18, 1963 [winner: Don Horn with Lotus 23]

all research Willem Oosthoek

#7 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 17:33

RJE: Willem Oosthoek found this info for you

I recently managed to get hold of the May 1962 race program for the Grand Prairie Grand Prix at Stuttgart, Arkansas, which was an SCCA National. The program does offer an entry list. Listed under #46 is the following:

Richard J. Cahill, St. Louis, Missouri......... Cooper Jr.

#8 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:56

Here is a listing for a Britannia:

http://www.racingspo.../Britannia.html

Competition Press, September 16, 1961 lists the following for the August, 1961 Wilmot Hiills race in the two heats for "Formula & Mod G" - "1st Heat - ...3. Ray Sheppard (Britannia)...2nd Heat...2. Sheppard..."

Ray Sheppard is listed in a Devin-Corvette in the July, 1961 Wilmot Hills race.

Vince H.