Photo

GP2!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan

Nathan

• 6,921 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:47

A friend and I use to love this game. We tried GP3 and GP4 but they just aren't the same to us. We have decided we want to find GP2 and do some multi-player racing. I have a few questions.

Will we need to get two seperate computers, or will we be able to play multi-player on the same computer but with two different screens? We don't have much issue buying older computers to do this, they are quite cheap.

If we have to use two seperate systems, will we need to get two GP2 discs, or will one work (start the game on the first computer, take the disc out and start it on the second)

I understand it won't work with Windows 2K, will it with Vista or XP, or will we have to source Windows 95?

Does anyone have an GP2 CDs they would like to sell?

Lastly, sperate question, what is the best F-1 Team/Manager Sim game out there? And does anyone have one they would like to sell? I remember years ago a Dutch team was putting togetehr a game and it madeit to Beta, but I hav lost track of it :(

Thanks for any help!

Edited by Nathan, 25 April 2010 - 11:48.

Advertisement

#2 Jay101

Jay101

• 649 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 22:16

GP2 was the best in that series closely followed by GP1, 3 and 4 seemed to lose gameplay for me.

Pretty sure your need two computers and I really can't remember if the software demanded two copies or not but I have the feeling one might be enough.

Can't remember ever trying to run GP2 on Windows 2000 but if you know it won't work then I doubt it will work on Vista or XP, I've a lot of old 95 software that won't work with Vista. Windows 7 is very good at emulating previous versions but I'm not sure if it goes back as far as 95 and you would need a fairly up to date PC to run Windows 7.

Sorry I can't be of much help but good luck. If it doesn't work out, in October (hopefully) for the price of two old PC's and monitors you can buy 2 PS2's or Xbox's and a copy of codemasters F1 2010, the car handling in there 2009 version is similar to Geoff Crammonds GP2. :wave:

#3 karlth

karlth

• 16,290 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:50

What do you miss in GP4?

If it is the drivers and cars then there are mods available that can fix it.

#4 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,417 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:02

I still play GP2, it works fine on XP.

You only need one disc because to mod the game you need to install the data files on your HD and modify the exe so it doesn't look for them on the CD.

I still have my original copy from circa 94 but I've seen it dotted around the internet. Seems it still actually sells in one or two places.

There are a couple Dutch guys who still update the carsets! I am using last years but need to update mine.

To get it working properly on XP (including sound), use this:
http://grandprix2.de...xp/gp2_xp2.html

Dosbox can always fall back on but its mega slow.

I still play about one or two hours per day, for the last 15 years! :D

#5 OssieFan

OssieFan

• 841 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:27

GP2 is my favourite sim of all time. It looks terribly outdated these days but still attractive, I enjoyed countless hours playing it. I remember doing a full distance championship in about 2 weeks (I was unemployed at the time lol). Despite technological advancements over the years nothing has really come close to the love I have for that game :) :)

#6 Umpire

Umpire

• 804 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 16:19

You can run GP2 in later versions of Windows, at worst you will need to use DOSBox or maybe Windows 7's XP emulator.

Two players can play on the same computer and a single screen and controller using GP2's multiplayer system (each car gets to be driven for a set number of laps, then it switches). But since that is not entirely fair, you'll need two computers.

You don't need two discs as you can make it so that the game runs without the CD.

Best F1 manager game in my view has been Microprose's Grand Prix World.

GP3 was pretty good too (better graphics and dynamic weather). Never had a soft spot for GP4 though.

Edited by Umpire, 02 October 2010 - 16:21.

#7 Garagiste

Garagiste

• 3,799 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 23:10

Two players can play on the same computer and a single screen and controller using GP2's multiplayer system (each car gets to be driven for a set number of laps, then it switches). But since that is not entirely fair, you'll need two computers.

Oh my word, that brings back memories - when the changeover light started flashing there was always a chorus of "FLASHING KNOBS!" from the bad 'Allo 'Allo joke. :lol: