Photo

Rene Arnoux - What was the real reason for his sacking by Ferrari? Anyone know?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Pedro1964

Pedro1964

• 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 18:40

I was (still am) a big big fan of Rene. One of the greatest things I've ever seen on a race track was his pole lap at Silverstone in '83..... The sudden and seemingly "cloak & dagger" nature of his exit from the Scuderia was something that was never fully explained at the time and (to my knowledge at least) has never been explained since. Does anyone reckon they know?

Advertisement

#2 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 18:46

First things first Pedro1964; do a search and read this:

http://forums.autosp...w...=10428&st=0

It's the 'Rene Arnoux' thread. :wave:

#3 Pedro1964

Pedro1964

• 6 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 18:59

Cheers Giraffe. I've looked before but didn't find it. Don't know what the hell I was on at the time. Thanks for your help anyway. :up:

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 19:30

This question has been asked here many times:

Rene Arnoux sacked by Ferrari

Arnoux vs Ferrari

Why did Ferrari fire Arnoux in 1985?

Why was René Arnoux fired by Ferrari?

The circumstances of the Ferrari departure of René Arnoux

As Giraffe says, the forum 'Search' facility is very useful.

#5 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 19:41

This question has been asked here many times:

Rene Arnoux sacked by Ferrari

Arnoux vs Ferrari

Why did Ferrari fire Arnoux in 1985?

Why was René Arnoux fired by Ferrari?

The circumstances of the Ferrari departure of René Arnoux

As Giraffe says, the forum 'Search' facility is very useful.

But , did any of them actually answer the question ? I've yet to see anything other than unsubstantiated rumor .

#6 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 19:59

But , did any of them actually answer the question ? I've yet to see anything other than unsubstantiated rumor .

Good point, we all know the two main 'theories' why, but can anyone put an argument or view forward for the decision on a performance/racing point of view? the pros and cons etc. How does that stand up?

#7 RStock

RStock

• 2,276 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 20:28

Good point, we all know the two main 'theories' why, but can anyone put an argument or view forward for the decision on a performance/racing point of view? the pros and cons etc. How does that stand up?

Rene' seemed to peak in '83 , though his latter ride with Liger might not be the best way to judge if he was really "over the hill" . Alboreto outperformed him rather easily in '84 . Combined with his age , and if the story of Rene' hiding a knee affliction are true , he would have given Maranello ample reason to dismiss him outright based soley on performance and potential . As for the two "main theories" , until we see something solid , we can only go on performance reasons , really .

#8 verde

verde

• 43 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 20:42

Rene' seemed to peak in '83 , though his latter ride with Liger might not be the best way to judge if he was really "over the hill" . Alboreto outperformed him rather easily in '84 . Combined with his age , and if the story of Rene' hiding a knee affliction are true , he would have given Maranello ample reason to dismiss him outright based soley on performance and potential . As for the two "main theories" , until we see something solid , we can only go on performance reasons , really .

The best possibility I heard: René and Enzo Ferrari had a quite bad relationship which wasn't helped by the results of the frenchman. Things got worse through 1984 but in the end Enzo accepted to give another opportunity to Arnoux, who wouldn't be fitting himself like "Il Drake" would like. Even thought René scored a good fourth at Jacarepaguá, Ferrari was tired of everything and fired him, bringing Stefan Johansson to his place.

The strangest possibility I head: Arnoux's involvement with drugs.

#9 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 00:09

The strangest possibility I head: Arnoux's involvement with drugs.

Here we go again. We just went through this with the James Hunt thread that Twinny rightly pulled because of its unfounded speculation and harmful unfounded accusations. Now we have another accusation, unfounded, that only sullies the reputation and character of an individual.

Gentlemen, unless there is confirmed evidence, please don't slap stuff up here accusing this, that, or the other driver of being a drug user.

Tom

#10 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,519 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:14

Here we go again. We just went through this with the James Hunt thread that Twinny rightly pulled because of its unfounded speculation and harmful unfounded accusations. Now we have another accusation, unfounded, that only sullies the reputation and character of an individual.

Tom

Who cares anyway? Am I supposed to think less of a driver - as a driver - just because he smoked the occasional spliff or snorted a line of coke? Grow up.

#11 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:53

It's not automatically a judgement call. It could simply be the reason they decided not to continue with him. It can be purely for commitment issues. Not many people in F1 were terribly impressed with Jan Magnussen's tobacco habit. They tolerated it with Hakkinen, because he went quickly.

#12 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:16

First things first Pedro1964; do a search...

Indeed.

And have a read here too, please.

:up: