Photo

Phil Hill at Le Mans, 1953

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TDC

TDC

• 45 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 18:13

Phil Hill first raced at Le Mans in an OSCA with Fred Wacker. Does anyone know details about that ride other than they were leading their class when the rear end or an axle failed? Who started, for instance? Because of Hill's youth and Wacker's importance in the American racing scene, one might assume Wacker took the start, but does anyone know for sure? I also wonder how fast they were in practice vs. other 1500cc cars and in the race?

Anyone have information about that?

Thanks, TC

Advertisement

#2 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,730 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:19

Hill OSCA Le Mans 1953 sorry can't help beyond a photo of the car from Getty images :-) Good luck in your search :-)

#3 TDC

TDC

• 45 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:57

Hill OSCA Le Mans 1953 sorry can't help beyond a photo of the car from Getty images :-) Good luck in your search :-)

Getty Image? Can you provide a link, please? Thanks, TC

#4 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 499 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:38

They retired after the 9th hour. They lined up in the 48th position, which was based on engine size. This information I found in a small booklet about the Jaguar victory that year.

#5 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 543 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:26

From the article "Le Mans As It Was", by Phil Hill, as printed in Road & Track, October 1978:

"It happened that 1953 was also the year I had my first drive at Le Mans, though ironically through a clerical mistake I'm not listed in any of the records. I was 3rd driver with Fred Wacker and Rees Makins in a 1343-cc Osca and also a 3rd driver on one of the Cunninghams, which I got to take out for a lap of practice. During the race we had the Osca ahead of the 1.5 liter Porsches, but the car's axle broke in the ninth hour. To be honest, I don't even remember if I was driving when the car broke, but I recall the others on the team acted like I caused it because I was driving too hard. That might be and I remember feeling guilty about it, but I was at a time in my career when getting me to go slow was a very difficult thing."

#6 Robin Fairservice

Robin Fairservice

• 499 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 15:16

From the article "Le Mans As It Was", by Phil Hill, as printed in Road & Track, October 1978:

"It happened that 1953 was also the year I had my first drive at Le Mans, though ironically through a clerical mistake I'm not listed in any of the records. I was 3rd driver with Fred Wacker and Rees Makins in a 1343-cc Osca and also a 3rd driver on one of the Cunninghams, which I got to take out for a lap of practice. During the race we had the Osca ahead of the 1.5 liter Porsches, but the car's axle broke in the ninth hour. To be honest, I don't even remember if I was driving when the car broke, but I recall the others on the team acted like I caused it because I was driving too hard. That might be and I remember feeling guilty about it, but I was at a time in my career when getting me to go slow was a very difficult thing."

That is odd because the Jaguar book that I referred to doesn't list Rees Makin as a driver of that Osca, or an other car.

#7 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,245 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 06:19

According to the info at this webpage (hour-by-hour), they were leading their class ahead of the factory Porsches by the 4th hour, but dropped back till they retired after 9 hours.

http://www.lemans-hi...mp;equipa_seq=0

Vince H.

#8 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,730 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:35

@ TDC here is the link to the Getty Image page :-

http://www.gettyimag.../Hulton-Archive

The Wiki Le Mans Page lists Rees T Makins as the OSCA owner but not as a driver.

Edited by arttidesco, 02 May 2010 - 11:39.

#9 Simon Davis

Simon Davis

• 242 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:36

The original 'Motor Sport' report from 1953 omits any mention of Phil Hill but does refer to Makins.

From an OSCA perspective it seems that Rees Makins was a regular entrant/driver of OSCAs in 1953 and 1954. Wimpffen's 'Time and Two Seats' indicates that Makins entered the OSCA at Le Mans 1953 but did not get to drive the car during the race, only taking the wheel during practice.

#10 SHRAEL

SHRAEL

• 42 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 20:06

Phil Hill first raced at Le Mans in an OSCA with Fred Wacker. Does anyone know details about that ride other than they were leading their class when the rear end or an axle failed? Who started, for instance? Because of Hill's youth and Wacker's importance in the American racing scene, one might assume Wacker took the start, but does anyone know for sure? I also wonder how fast they were in practice vs. other 1500cc cars and in the race?

Anyone have information about that?

Thanks, TC

HI i believe the OSCA Chassis number was 1132. Its now in Japan...

Shrael