• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 13:47

Flavio speaks.

"We'll see how it ends up between Button and Hamilton at the end of the season. Jenson has done well, he's won two races and we know why: he was able to manage things and had luck on his side.

"I don't speak badly of him, I just say that he is not among the five quickest drivers in F1."

OK so Button is not among his top five, but I reckon Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso both are and he's gone on record plenty of times to say so.

I'm undecided on Michael Schumacher. I think Flavio wants MS to be top five but his interview hints that he doesn't think that now. Who else does Flav rate that might complete the top five? Lets stick with F1 2010 edition.

Advertisement

#2 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 13:50

They should never ever put a microphone before Flavio. Just let him slip away.

#3 Grenada

Grenada

• 3,072 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 13:50

Flavio speaks.

OK so Button is not among his top five, but I reckon Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso both are and he's gone on record plenty of times to say so.

I'm undecided on Michael Schumacher. I think Flavio wants MS to be top five but his interview hints that he doesn't think that now. Who else does Flav rate that might complete the top five? Lets stick with F1 2010 edition.

Vettel must be in there.

Leaves two.

Massa?

Rosberg?

#4 kal-el

kal-el

• 74 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 13:52

easy to name 4

Hamilton/Massa/Vettel/Alonso

fifth, I hope he meant Michael.. but most probably it is Nico

Kobayashi?

#5 Gyan

Gyan

• 1,235 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 13:53

1.Fernando Alonso
2.Lewis Hamilton
3.Sebastian Vettel
4.Robert Kubica
5.Mark Webber ?

#6 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 24,873 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 13:59

1.Fernando Alonso
2.Lewis Hamilton
3.Sebastian Vettel
4.Robert Kubica

Kimi would make the top 5 easy but sticking with F1 2010 edition makes it trickier.

I would probably put Schumacher in expecting him to improve as the car does.
Alternatively its out of Rosberg and Massa

#7 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:01

But has Flav come out in support of any of these guys? That's the key to answering the question. I think I could have predicted him not rating Button from what he said last year and from 2002, but what's he said in support of Vettel/Webber/Kubica?

#8 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:05

Kubica tested with Renault back in 2005, Briatore may have got the word then.

#9 teejay

teejay

• 6,130 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:08

easy to name 4

Hamilton/Massa/Vettel/Alonso

fifth, I hope he meant Michael.. but most probably it is Nico

Kobayashi?

What has mass done this year to deserve the accolade bar hold up Fernando two races in a row?

Hamilton/Alonso/Vettel/Rosberg/Kubica would have to be the 5?

#10 sKunk

sKunk

• 135 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:10

1 - Hamilton
2 - Vettel
3 - Alonso
4 - Kubica
5 - ?????
6 - Profit!

#11 Jose Mourinho is Special

Jose Mourinho is Special

• 368 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:11

And this the same Flabio that tried to hire Jenson before the 2009 season? :drunk:

He could have well got Fisichella back in that Renault

#12 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:12

I'm pretty sure Briatore's top five is (in no particular order) Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Webber and Kubica.

#13 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,553 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:19

Hamilton and alonso for sure, Vettel and Kubica probably, and maybe Rosberg? Not that I would agree with him anyway.

#14 FigJam

FigJam

• 2,034 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:20

That may be the case but I can't understand how he could belittle Button and then put an underperformer like Webber in there. :confused:

#15 beute

beute

• 1,357 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:20

I'm pretty sure Briatore's top five is (in no particular order) Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, Webber and Kubica.

- webber

#16 sir jackie walker

sir jackie walker

• 622 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:25

Today, instead, he's found some tough customers, because in F1 there have never been drivers as good as this year. There's Hamilton, Fernando, Vettel, Rosberg...

The final name must be either Kubica or Massa.

#17 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:27

What has mass done this year to deserve the accolade bar hold up Fernando two races in a row?

What he has done and what we think isn't the issue. What Flavio thinks is. I'll see if I can dig out any positive Massa quotes from him.

#18 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:31

- webber

Flavio is Webber's manager. That puts him up a tier in his view at least.

#19 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:32

Briatore managed Webber through his own will because he saw talent and speed. I've actually thought - for all the lunacy he sometimes spews out - that he's been sensible in his comments on the drivers. Posters/armchair-experts forgets quickly, Briatore doesn't and is able to rate Webber on more seasons than just four G's P in 2010.
Webber's speed has never been in doubt.

-edit- sorry, I managed to miss that he mentioned Rosberg! But I still wonder if he felt he had to, seeing as he's beaten Schumacher so far. The fifth has got to be Kubica or Webber.

Edited by race addicted, 04 May 2010 - 14:34.

Advertisement

#20 Grenada

Grenada

• 3,072 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:32

Mr Yutaw Taw has got to be the funniest forum name ever. :lol: Very apt for this thread!

#21 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:33

Flavio is Webber's manager. That puts him up a tier in his view at least.

He was Piquet's manager too.

#22 Captain Tightpants

Captain Tightpants

• 8,012 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:35

Flavio's Top Five Drivers:
1 - Fernando Alonso
2 - Fernando Alonso
3 - Fernando Alonso
4 - Jamie ... Jaime Algae ... Jaime Alguersaurus ... screw it, number four is Fernando Alonso
5 - Fernando Alonso

#23 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:39

I think I could have predicted him not rating Button from what he said last year and from 2002

Was thinking the same. Infact, I was quite surprised to read "I don't speak badly of him" from Flavio after he called him a "roadside post" just one year ago. So these new comments are pure bullshit from Flavio who by now can't use talk like that anymore. His insults last year were purely based on Button's seasons at Renault anyway, when Briatore treated him like crap. That's all he can remember, ofcourse.

#24 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:42

He was Piquet's manager too.

And he managed to let him crash quite well.

I get your point but I don't want to even compare Webber with Piquet.

Although now I think about it, I'm quite sure Briatore means

Alonso
-
-
Hamilton
Vettel
Rosberg
Kubica

So he'd leave Webber out of it anyway. My mistake.

EDIT: Rosberg indeed.

Edited by Lights, 04 May 2010 - 14:56.

#25 nmik

nmik

• 30 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:53

"Today, instead, he's found some tough customers, because in F1 there have never been drivers as good as this year. There's Hamilton, Fernando, Vettel, Rosberg..."

Well, Briatore named four of the five himself.

#26 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:54

Flavio speaks.

I think it´s quite clear from the interview:

1.Lewis Hamilton
2.Fernando Alonso
3.Sebastian Vettel
4.Nico Rosberg

The fifth driver he doesn´t mention, but according to him, Jenson is not among them.

So take your pick out of Kubica, Massa, Petrov, Alquersari or even Michael Schumacher.
Kimi we should not mention, as he is out of the frame in 2010.

For me there are six top drivers right now, the above four that Flav mentioned, plus Jenson plus Robert.
Not in any particular order, it really greatly depends on the weekend, the form of the driver, the circumstances.

There is no out and out lead driver in the sport at this moment.

And....Michael is definitely not one of them based on the first four races of 2010.

#27 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:56

I am pretty sure that we do not know if you are correct, and neither do you.

#28 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 14:58

I think it´s quite clear from the interview:

1.Lewis Hamilton
2.Fernando Alonso
3.Sebastian Vettel
4.Nico Rosberg

The fifth driver he doesn´t mention, but according to him, Jenson is not among them.

So take your pick out of Kubica, Massa, Petrov, Alquersari or even Michael Schumacher.
Kimi we should not mention, as he is out of the frame in 2010.

For me there are six top drivers right now, the above four that Flav mentioned, plus Jenson plus Robert.
Not in any particular order, it really greatly depends on the weekend, the form of the driver, the circumstances.

There is no out and out lead driver in the sport at this moment.

And....Michael is definitely not one of them based on the first four races of 2010.

I think you are close. Those four he named, and for fifth position he was holding his judgement (probably on MS).

#29 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 15:11

I am pretty sure that we do not know if you are correct, and neither do you.

Of course I don't know, but based on what's blindingly obvious and from what he's said through the years...........................

#30 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 15:17

Of course I don't know, but based on what's blindingly obvious and from what he's said through the years...........................

Blindingly obvious (to me) is, that many posters on this BB are grasping for straws based on four bad and confusing races.

Edited by Sakae, 04 May 2010 - 15:23.

#31 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 15:28

Except that this wasn't about the posters top four, but Briatore's.

#32 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • Admin

• 19,094 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 15:31

:up:

#33 WheelBanger304

WheelBanger304

• 357 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 15:35

What is blindingly obvious about your list? You have failed to make what to others would be the obvious deduction - that the four drivers he has named, Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel and Rosberg, are among the five quickest to whom he refers - and included in the alternative list possibly the last guy on the grid who deserves to be there on current form. Webber has had no serious reliability problems in what is clearly the quickest car and yet he is trailing guys like Rosberg and Kubica, who have significantly inferior machinery, in the standings. Given his inability to extract the speed from that Red Bull and his curious habit of punting another driver off track every third race I'm not sure whether he deserves a seat, let alone be considered one of the top five drivers at this point.

#34 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 15:37

As I've already said, I assume Briatore (feel tempted to write "very sure") base his ratings on more than just the four Grands Prix so far in 2010.

#35 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 15:40

To avoid ambiguity in my post, it was directed on filling the last vacant spot. I can read and understand English text, and therefore based on AS article I am fully aware what actually Briatore is alleged to have said.

#36 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 15:44

Oh, well, that seals it.

#37 skid solo

skid solo

• 2,440 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 15:59

Hamilton, Fernando, Vettel, Rosberg and Kubica and you know for once I agree with him :)

#38 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 16:03

Im afraid Buttoneer this thread just seems like another to post flavs top two, aswell as our added 3 ;-)!

Flavs 5 quickest drivers? Who cares. His opinion has no worth.

#39 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 16:10

Flavs 5 quickest drivers? Who cares. His opinion has no worth.

True but here we can discuss anything.

Advertisement

#40 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 16:22

True? It's true Briatore's opinion "has no worth"?? Despise him for crash-gate and whatnot, but he's far better positioned to assess the drivers than we are.

#41 rog

rog

• 1,584 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 16:35

Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso are quite clear. Then probably Rosberg and Kubica. I don't think it's Webber or Massa, they are too slow compared with their team mates.

#42 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 17:16

True? It's true Briatore's opinion "has no worth"?? Despise him for crash-gate and whatnot, but he's far better positioned to assess the drivers than we are.

Personally I don't rate his opinion at all, because he has come across as irrational and heated with various comments. I do not take the fact that he worked in F1 as a reason why he would be better than us at assessing drivers. Yes, he was probably quite a good teamboss. But that's because he is excellent at managing people. Understanding F1 as a sport is another thing. For the rest, what does he actually know? How can he determine Rosberg is a better driver than Button this year? He doesn't know anything more about them than we do.

So no, for me, his opinion isn't worth much.

#43 as65p

as65p

• 26,207 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 17:43

I think you are close. Those four he named, and for fifth position he was holding his judgement (probably on MS).

You might have overlooked what he actually said about MS in the very same interview. It was actually the opposite of reserving judgement.

#44 Nathan

Nathan

• 7,101 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 17:50

They should never ever put a microphone before Flavio. Just let him slip away.

Personally I enjoy reading what he has to say. even if it is far-fetched.

#45 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 17:56

Personally I don't rate his opinion at all, because he has come across as irrational and heated with various comments. I do not take the fact that he worked in F1 as a reason why he would be better than us at assessing drivers. Yes, he was probably quite a good teamboss. But that's because he is excellent at managing people. Understanding F1 as a sport is another thing. For the rest, what does he actually know? How can he determine Rosberg is a better driver than Button this year? He doesn't know anything more about them than we do.

So no, for me, his opinion isn't worth much.

He was in the sport as a team boss since '93(?) and self-explaining it is then, that he's worked with a whole host of drivers, from the very best at the time, to some very mediocre ones. He's always had the opportunity to speak with some highly skillful guys (Symonds, Wirth, Permane to name a few) who's worked with the same drivers, and even if he's sometimes said some really, really outlandish stuff (our car doesn't throw up any sparks! We need sparks!) he's got to have picked up something. In addition to that I believe he's got a good eye for talent. Involved or not this year, I'd take Briatore's rating without an agenda, as gospel compared to any of the posters here.

Edited by race addicted, 04 May 2010 - 17:58.

#46 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 19:01

He was in the sport as a team boss since '93(?) and self-explaining it is then, that he's worked with a whole host of drivers, from the very best at the time, to some very mediocre ones. He's always had the opportunity to speak with some highly skillful guys (Symonds, Wirth, Permane to name a few) who's worked with the same drivers, and even if he's sometimes said some really, really outlandish stuff (our car doesn't throw up any sparks! We need sparks!) he's got to have picked up something. In addition to that I believe he's got a good eye for talent. Involved or not this year, I'd take Briatore's rating without an agenda, as gospel compared to any of the posters here.

He has worked with a whole bunch of drivers, and he has indeed worked with Button, but that was 8 years ago. So what does he actually know about the driver Button is now? I'm sure in his time as team manager, he was busier with other things instead of looking at how well all the drivers were doing (except his own). It's the fans who actually take much more notice of all the drivers and waste way more time on it. If you'd take his ratings over members here because of your reasons, then you're entitled to do so logically. And from most of the key people in F1, I would do the same, but Briatore is a fair bit lower in this regard in my point of view.

#47 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,753 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 19:10

The engineers from rival teams know a good deal more about driver performance than we do, hence I'm sure this knowledge is often picked up on by team bosses. I think Briatore is right about Button; he's not top five. (To clarify though I've always rated Button highly. On a general rating I'd say he's top six or eight. Btw I've always had him in my top ten performers list ever since he entered the sport in '00) And he can form an opinion with more info available. Very few guys here can ever "pass" him in that area.

As I've said before, he's a mad-man, but I'm definately prepared to lend him an ear when he talks about the drivers.

#48 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,220 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 19:13

I'm not sure Flavio counted up to five and named guys before coming up with this (rather idiotic) statement.

#49 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,766 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 19:18

Flavio speaks.

Well, he actually clearly said this about Michael:
"Today, instead, he's found some tough customers, because in F1 there have never been drivers as good as this year. There's Hamilton, Fernando, Vettel, Rosberg..."

So, we only have one more spot to fill. Best bets would be Kubica or Massa.

P.S. If he speaks badly of Button than Button is in good position :)

Edited by velgajski1, 04 May 2010 - 19:30.

#50 hunnylander

hunnylander

• 4,448 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 19:24

Erm, guys, you're not sure who's the fifth driver?

It's easy-peasy, he's the fifth driver ! :p