• 2,777 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:00

Posted Image

Chas Mortimer and John Woodley

#104 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:02

......one to please lukebaby and Hasselhoff  ;)

Posted Image

Vaughan Coburn hard on the brakes .

#105 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:04

Posted Image

And finally, Vaughan, Randy Mamola and ?......

Once again, many , many thanks to Merv for these excellent pictures :up:

Edited by philippe7, 25 May 2010 - 03:05.

#106 Hasselhoff

Hasselhoff

• 198 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:59

And finally, Vaughan, Randy Mamola and ?......

Brent Wylie. :up:

Here's one I found on the net but I don't remember from where, but I think it's a cracking shot from the '77-78 series obviously.

Posted Image

Edited by Hasselhoff, 25 May 2010 - 04:54.

#107 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,525 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:10

Excellent photos Philippe, thanks to all those involved. :up:

#108 stuavant

stuavant

• 704 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:14

...and there are more ! Another set of personal pictures I had spotted on the KiwiBiker forum, posted by "Merv" who kindly gave me permission to copy them here . Merv mentioned that he doesn't look for recognition or real-name credits. I would like to point out however that these pictures were originally taken by Merv's brother when the two of them were spectating at Gracefield and Wanganui for the 76/77 Marlboro series. Sadly Merv's brother passed away a year ago and Merv found the pics while going through his brother's belongings and very generously chose to share them with fellow enthusiasts . I think they are a fitting tribute to Merv's brother since they have a lot of "feeling" in them, specially for amateur's pics.

Let's start off at Gracefield :

Posted Image

Graeme Crosby leads from John Woodley, Jean-Philippe Orban , #4 who is ????? , and our Stu with #1 .....

Brilliant!!!! No 4 maybe Ken Fletcher ( as in Bazza's long time mechanic)

#109 lukebaby

lukebaby

• 75 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:37

Brilliant!!!! No 4 maybe Ken Fletcher ( as in Bazza's long time mechanic)

Ken Fletcher it is :up:

#110 GD66

GD66

• 2,171 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:38

Brent Wylie. :up:

Here's one I found on the net but I don't remember from where, but I think it's a cracking shot from the '77-78 series obviously.

That's coming off the bridge and down the start/finish straight at Wanganui.

#111 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:03

Ken Fletcher it is :up:

I knew I had seen this helmet and generally a similar livery not so long ago....it was on the Ian Dawson facebook page that Nigel L. spotted, pic said to be from two years earlier (74/75) at Ruapuna

Posted Image

Did I understand correctly that Ken Fletcher was Bazza's spannerman for a long time ????

#112 GD66

GD66

• 2,171 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:54

He was indeed, the phrase "long-suffering mechanic" would be more apt for Ken I'd reckon. The helmet was one of two Ron Grant brought out the season before. #31 is the watercooled TR500 (Mk 3 ?) of Steve Dundon, S down the back is the Indonesian Sarsito Sa, H looks awfully like Ninja1950 (I think Gregg Hansford rode G that season) and it looks like George Vukmanovich standing behind the Kawasaki.

BTW that Gracefield shot with Croz leading, that'd be me up in the commentary scaffolding, I mean luxury suite... :lol:

Edited by GD66, 25 May 2010 - 10:56.

#113 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,402 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:06

Excellent photos Philippe, thanks to all those involved. :up:

I'll second those thoughts , :up: wonderful insight into the racing scene the other side of the world ( to us Europeans ) :love: :wave:

#114 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,402 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:09

He was indeed, the phrase "long-suffering mechanic" would be more apt for Ken I'd reckon. The helmet was one of two Ron Grant brought out the season before. #31 is the watercooled TR500 (Mk 3 ?) of Steve Dundon, S down the back is the Indonesian Sarsito Sa, H looks awfully like Ninja1950 (I think Gregg Hansford rode G that season) and it looks like George Vukmanovich standing behind the Kawasaki.

BTW that Gracefield shot with Croz leading, that'd be me up in the commentary scaffolding, I mean luxury suite... :lol:

Nice to see what you look like , Glenn :lol:

Also , looks a trifle tall to be George !!! :eek:  ;)

#115 stuavant

stuavant

• 704 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:40

Posted Image

Keith Turner's TR500 with Steve Roberts monocouge frame, Gracefield 1972

Its killing me, who's the guy with the beard!!!

#116 stuavant

stuavant

• 704 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:44

Buffalo Bill Biber pushing the Tr500?. Looks like George to me and maybe Ross Sinclair, Mikes brother being the "tall guy"?

#117 GD66

GD66

• 2,171 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:57

On fire, Stu ! Could well be Len Perry back-on with the white hat and the Suzuki overalls behind Fletch as well.

Keith Turner's monocoque : the bearded gent's not Garry Watson, is it ?

Edited by GD66, 25 May 2010 - 12:00.

#118 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 14:11

Some fantastic photos and stories there guys, enjoying this thread very much.......I see you spotted the helmet fitment Glen :wave: :rolleyes:

David

#119 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 19:11

H looks awfully like Ninja1950 (I think Gregg Hansford rode G that season)

That rider is indeed identified as Murray on Ian Dawson's page, but silly me dismissed that thinking no, H must stand for Hansford .... appears I was wrong :blush:

Ther's also a rider in red-white leathers and white helmet standing near the Kawasaki, perhaps Ninja1950 remembers who it is ? Warren Willing maybe ?

Edited by philippe7, 25 May 2010 - 19:15.

Advertisement

#120 lukebaby

lukebaby

• 75 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 20:03

That rider is indeed identified as Murray on Ian Dawson's page, but silly me dismissed that thinking no, H must stand for Hansford .... appears I was wrong :blush:

Ther's also a rider in red-white leathers and white helmet standing near the Kawasaki, perhaps Ninja1950 remembers who it is ? Warren Willing maybe ?

Could H be Hurley Wilvert?......The red leathered rider is John Boote I think. :smoking:

#121 peterd

peterd

• 195 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 22:45

And the woman on the left looks like Paul McLachlan's wife, Jean.

#122 Ninja1950

Ninja1950

• 45 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 10:26

Could H be Hurley Wilvert?......The red leathered rider is John Boote I think. :smoking:

H = Murray Sayle and it was the Kawasaki H2R which Pat Hennan had raced in the Australian Swann Series owned by Hurley Wilvert, and yes it is George Vukmanovich looking after Hurley's bike.

Murray

#123 Hasselhoff

Hasselhoff

• 198 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 14:51

it was the Kawasaki H2R which Pat Hennan had raced in the Australian Swann Series

Which Swann Series was that? I am usually wrong but I don't recall Pat ever riding in the Swann Series. But as I said, I'm usually wrong.

Here's a photo of Pat playing baseball with a few friends during the Marlboro Series 76/77.
Posted Image

Edited by Hasselhoff, 26 May 2010 - 16:41.

#124 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 19:40

Which Swann Series was that? I am usually wrong but I don't recall Pat ever riding in the Swann Series. But as I said, I'm usually wrong.

....and I never knew that Pat had raced a Kawasaki !

From the article about Murray on the Formula x-treme website :

"In late 1974, on the recommendation of Toombs to TKA manager Neville Doyle, Sayle was offered some guest rides on the team’s spare Kawasaki H2R 750 triple. “The good thing was that I was able to get a lot more race miles racing my 350 and the Kawasaki. The 750 took a little bit of getting used to but it was good once I got the hang off it.”The bike was a George Vukmanovich-tuned Kawasaki H2R that had been ridden by USA Team Hansen rider Hurley Wilvert, and was also raced in Australia by Pat Hennen in 1974."

the whole article is here : http://www.formula-x...00?OpenDocument

#125 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 19:42

Here's a photo of Pat playing baseball with a few friends during the Marlboro Series 76/77.

My God, they look so young, it's incredible....

Is this Randy Mamola on Pat's left in the foreground ? and VC on Pat's right maybe ?

#126 Hasselhoff

Hasselhoff

• 198 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 23:01

That's 3 for 3 keep going. So I see Hennen did ride in Oz, as I said I'm usually wrong. :well:

#127 stuavant

stuavant

• 704 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 23:24

That's 3 for 3 keep going. So I see Hennen did ride in Oz, as I said I'm usually wrong. :well:

Lenny Willing, Robin Mortimer, maybe me in the "flairs". Softball match at Tommy McCleary's house on acreage. We had the biggest laugh. Those were the days :clap:

#128 stuavant

stuavant

• 704 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 23:26

Lenny Willing, Robin Mortimer, maybe me in the "flairs". Softball match at Tommy McCleary's house on acreage. We had the biggest laugh. Those were the days :clap:

Actually the flairs would be the TV Commentator......who's name escapes me. Tony?

#129 Hasselhoff

Hasselhoff

• 198 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 23:43

Actually the flairs would be the TV Commentator......who's name escapes me. Tony?

There was a theory that the chap in the flares is Brian Lawrence but you may be right that it's the TV commentator, and I believe it is Chip Hennen not Robin M. If you look closely there is someone between Lenny and Chip in a Whites Yamaha shirt, probably George Vukmanovich?

#130 Redneb

Redneb

• 87 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 00:26

+1 for the TV commentator - Bill McCarthy - looks like him.

BTW - the Shane Kelly photos are mine. I took them at Pukekohe one time when a mate loaned me his Zenit E, an old Russian camera with screw-on lenses. It had no light meter so I had to guess the settings.

Given the interest in this great thread (well done Philippe) I have dug through my photos and located a few more - but at a longer distance. Couldn't afford 300mm lenses on those days. I'll scan them and send them to Philippe to decide whether they are good enough to post as he has his system going.

I was standing on the inside of the track at Puke the year Cal Rayborn was killed - he crashed right opposite where we were standing and I was so mesmerised by his long slide down the straight that I forgot to take a photo. I'm glad I didn't now - the image is still etched on my mind and even 35 years on I don't know that I would have the courage to post it.

Did Cal compete in a Marlborough series?

Edited by Redneb, 27 May 2010 - 00:34.

#131 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:35

Well done on joining the forum, Shane, and Welcome :wave:

And yes, please send me the other pics ! I'll send you a PM with my e-mail where to send them to . If you had a picture of Pat Hennen where we could identify the machine he uses, it would be precious for my personal obsessional quest :rolleyes:

I had opened a thread about Cal Rayborn a while ago that you may want to read, since it has quite a few first hand testimonials . It appears some other members of this forum were also present on that sad day at Pukekohe . It's here :
http://forums.autosp...howtopic=109584

As to wether Cal raced in a Marlboro Series : I don't think so , the meeting he was killed at was on december 29th if I'm right, and the opening race of the series that you took your pics at must have been a week or two earlier ? Strange, when you think about it, that there were two major races at Pukekohe in such a short time, moreover the december 29th date probably collided with a Marlboro Series race at another track ? Anybody has got the calendar of the 73/74 series ?

Edited by philippe7, 27 May 2010 - 06:35.

#132 stuavant

stuavant

• 704 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:02

There was a theory that the chap in the flares is Brian Lawrence but you may be right that it's the TV commentator, and I believe it is Chip Hennen not Robin M. If you look closely there is someone between Lenny and Chip in a Whites Yamaha shirt, probably George Vukmanovich?

Reckon you are right

#133 Hasselhoff

Hasselhoff

• 198 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:56

Well now that we have named them all I think this one is from "Mervs" collection also. Gracefield 76/77.

Posted Image

#134 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:00

Despite all I've seen so far, I can't help being impressed/appaled by the road surface, trackside hazards and spectators "facilities"....

Warren Willing, Pat Hennen, Stu and John Woodley ?

#135 stuavant

stuavant

• 704 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:47

Despite all I've seen so far, I can't help being impressed/appaled by the road surface, trackside hazards and spectators "facilities"....

Warren Willing, Pat Hennen, Stu and John Woodley ?

Yea its surreal. It was always dangerous but we kind of got on with it. One year Pat argued about track saftey and he explained to me ( he was always educating me tbh) that it was'nt how dangerous the track was ,more how safe it could be made with maximum effort. Miles of hay bales..memories :)

#136 twotempi

twotempi

• 52 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 23:47

I have tried to forget this but ...........

I was marshalling at the Hairpin at the meeting when Cal Rayborn was killed. My friend who I went out to Pukekohe with was marshalling at the point where the crash happened and was one of the first at the scene and witnessed his injuries. He was very distraught, and was silent all the way home.

Went sailing instead after that until some friends were lost at sea and then realised that nothing is actually safe. So maybe bikes were OK after all.

It wasn't a Malboro Series Race according to my memory - it was a bit earlier than that - 1970 or 1971 ?? - by several years

#137 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:34

As he had promised , Shane Kelly has sent me another round of pics that he took in december 1973 at Pukekohe, for what was the first leg of the first Marlboro Series

As I secretely hoped , he did have two pictures of Pat Hennen :

Posted Image

Posted Image

....well, at least I believe that this is Pat Hennen, with identical Suzuki US leathers and same helmet design to those of his mentor Ron Grant as pictured earlier in this thread. (only with "Pat" on the chin piece instead of Ron)

As to the machine he is riding, this looks nothing to me like the 750 GT-Rickman Framed - wet clutch etc ... Suzuki he had been using in the US for the 1973 season. It mores resembles the descriptions I have read of the "mag wheeled TR 500 based little weapon" called the Sayonara Special . But I'll let the eperts on here confirm that .

#138 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:38

Posted Image

One forum member who did not so far have as many pictures of him in this thread as his colleagues Stu and Jeff..... Mr Murray Sayle !

#139 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:39

Posted Image

Trevor Discombe

Advertisement

#140 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:41

Posted Image

Ron Grant ahead of Trevor Discombe

#141 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:44

Posted Image

Ron Grant up front, Jim Landrebe in third position.....but who is the gentleman laying second, with the Premier helmet and #1 on his fairing ?

#142 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,777 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:47

Posted Image

And finally, Ginger Molloy on his H2R in front of ?.....

Thanks again for the pictures, Shane :up:

#143 stuavant

stuavant

• 704 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:13

Posted Image

And finally, Ginger Molloy on his H2R in front of ?..... Dale Wylie

Thanks again for the pictures, Shane :up:

#144 stuavant

stuavant

• 704 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:17

As he had promised , Shane Kelly has sent me another round of pics that he took in december 1973 at Pukekohe, for what was the first leg of the first Marlboro Series

As I secretely hoped , he did have two pictures of Pat Hennen :

Posted Image

Posted Image

....well, at least I believe that this is Pat Hennen, with identical Suzuki US leathers and same helmet design to those of his mentor Ron Grant as pictured earlier in this thread. (only with "Pat" on the chin piece instead of Ron)

As to the machine he is riding, this looks nothing to me like the 750 GT-Rickman Framed - wet clutch etc ... Suzuki he had been using in the US for the 1973 season. It mores resembles the descriptions I have read of the "mag wheeled TR 500 based little weapon" called the Sayonara Special . But I'll let the eperts on here confirm that .

I ended up with that Son of Bitch of a bike. Jon Allnat rebuilt the bike, we went to Ruapuna to challenge my mate John Boote. Race One the clutch fried and as I came out of the hairpin I looked over my shoulder to see Ian Miles on his RD350 flat out with his head down looking at the Tacho. Bang up my butt, broken ankle: never sat on it again. John Woodley says its in the US somewhere.

#145 kz71

kz71

• 49 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:26

Its killing me, who's the guy with the beard!!!

Hey Stu,

I think the guy with the beard may be John Appel.....good fab and welder guy

#146 kz71

kz71

• 49 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:46

Buffalo Bill Biber pushing the Tr500?. Looks like George to me and maybe Ross Sinclair, Mikes brother being the "tall guy"?

Good eyes Stu, I reckon that may well be Ross and he's standing beside Gary Boote in the Levi's gear.

The two Indon guys were Hendra Tirtasaputra and Sarsito Sa. Nice guys and Hendra was a pretty good rider. That must have been December 73? because I was there.
I travelled in convoy with them and Dale around the North Island. We had their bikes on a trailer which had wooden spoke wheels (which they couldn't believe) and the great JC (who was the driver) would yell "Wagons Ho!" every time we set off. The wheels flexed so much the tyres rubbed the trailer body and JC had a smoke trail following him whenever he had the hammer down.
Main thing I remember about Sarsito was that he couldn't keep his hands off the clutch lever and kept welding the clutch pushrods together which we'd have to fix for him nearly every time he rode the bike.

#147 kz71

kz71

• 49 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:55

The bloke looking up behind the short guy (Randy?) is Chip, Pat's brother.

#148 Hasselhoff

Hasselhoff

• 198 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 18:20

This photo is not from the track but it is a classic from the Marlboro Series 76/77 which was Randys second time there  ;) Obviously no ID required in Unzud back then :)

Posted Image

Edited by Hasselhoff, 29 May 2010 - 18:22.

#149 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,674 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 20:01

This photo is not from the track but it is a classic from the Marlboro Series 76/77 which was Randys second time there ;) Obviously no ID required in Unzud back then :)

Posted Image

:eek:

#150 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 20:28

You could probably get your hair cut there too I bet :lol:

David