Photo

David Dixon

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 00:19

A photo of David Dixon came up on another thread and I wondered if it were he who worked on the Honda 4s maybe with Mocheck? Any other info as to his racing career on bigger bikes?

David

Advertisement

#2 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:26

A photo of David Dixon came up on another thread and I wondered if it were he who worked on the Honda 4s maybe with Mocheck? Any other info as to his racing career on bigger bikes?

David

Of the Dixon-Robb racing school,I reckon, Deidre.They used Hondas.
HW

#3 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:13

Not so much a racer, as one of the finest bike journos of the 60s. His work for Motor Cycle, testing all sorts of mainstream and unusual racers for us mag-reading, slack-jawed fans was unmissable, and his road bike tests were optimistic but realistic. He'd ride in all weathers, at any track, at any time, and I thought he was a ripper. When he went on to run the race teams, I'm sure his administration was just as thorough, and I'm sure for a while he was the UK Yoshimura (or was it Bimota ?) importer. Have a feeling he's Darren Dixon's dad as well. Never forget his test of Alan Shepherd's MZ racers in the magazine at a time when the Iron Curtain was VERY real, and wondering, "How the hell...?"
A good soldier...

#4 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:35

Not so much a racer, as one of the finest bike journos of the 60s. His work for Motor Cycle, testing all sorts of mainstream and unusual racers for us mag-reading, slack-jawed fans was unmissable, and his road bike tests were optimistic but realistic. He'd ride in all weathers, at any track, at any time, and I thought he was a ripper. When he went on to run the race teams, I'm sure his administration was just as thorough, and I'm sure for a while he was the UK Yoshimura (or was it Bimota ?) importer. Have a feeling he's Darren Dixon's dad as well. Never forget his test of Alan Shepherd's MZ racers in the magazine at a time when the Iron Curtain was VERY real, and wondering, "How the hell...?"
A good soldier...

Yes , I agree , Glenn , i'll never forget his track tests of the Yamaha 125 and 250 4s the day after the Race of the South , at Brands , in October 1968 , before they were shipped back to Japan and oblivion :well:

#5 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 16:54

http://www.gareth.ev...k/honda_460.htm

Couldn't find much but here's some info on one of the Hondas from Dixon Racing :)

David

#6 roadshop

roadshop

• 182 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 17:31

http://www.gareth.ev...k/honda_460.htm

Couldn't find much but here's some info on one of the Hondas from Dixon Racing :)

David

Did he stay in Schweden for a while in the seventies.
Maybe had some connection with the magasine MC-Nyt and Anderstorp?

Poul Erik

#7 Mats Karlsson

Mats Karlsson

• 106 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 02:35

Did he stay in Schweden for a while in the seventies.
Maybe had some connection with the magasine MC-Nyt and Anderstorp?

Poul Erik

I remember David doing a good amount of testing for Swedish magazines Mc-Nytt and Mc-Sport in the early 70's. I wish I still had all those mags.

#8 billbomann

billbomann

• 87 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:55

David Dixon brought his Dixon-Robb Racing School to the Island one TT week, would love to know the date.

Posted Image
By billbomann at 2010-11-15

David Dixon is left, not sure who the mechanic is but I am sure someone will come up with his name. Ray Knight is next (he now lives barely a mile from where this was taken) and Tommy Robb.

Also there that day was Peter 'Voice of the TT" Kneale, who took to the circuit wearing Tommy's helmet. Larry D identified him in our TT photo exhibition.

Posted Image
By billbomann at 2010-11-15