Photo

Photo removal

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:13

I am about to delete all non watermarked photos from my Photobucket account, this will mean most will disappear,, sorry about that, but at Brands recently a shop was selling a large framed picture with 4 of my pics in it for £45 un authorised & with no payment to myself.
In future only watermarked pics will be appearing on here.
Sorry guys, but there you go. :(

Advertisement

#2 MCS

MCS

• 4,687 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:46

I am about to delete all non watermarked photos from my Photobucket account, this will mean most will disappear,, sorry about that, but at Brands recently a shop was selling a large framed picture with 4 of my pics in it for £45 un authorised & with no payment to myself.

Wow, that's terrible Graham. That must have been one hell of an alarming discovery for you. Theft, in fact.

Hope you've managed to at least stop any further transgressions.

#3 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:49

What a cheek ! I hope you gave that tosser a good rev, Gra. Do what ya gotta do, mate... :mad:

#4 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:56

Thanks guys, 99% of people on here and other such places are good honest people, sadly the other 1% spoil it.
Photo came from Malaysia apparently.

#5 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:19

Thanks guys, 99% of people on here and other such places are good honest people, sadly the other 1% spoil it.

Yes , me old chum , there's some pond - life out there , unfortunately :mad: :down:

#6 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:02

Yes , me old chum , there's some pond - life out there , unfortunately :mad: :down:

Yes I agree Graham, it's a shame but theft is theft, even of photos in the public domain.

#7 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:32

Commiserations Graham. Is there no way of tracing the little scroat ?

#8 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 12:41

Sorry to hear this Graham, unfortunately the far east is the worst source for all of these nefarious activities. I do hope you get them all off the web quickly. What did the guy in the shop say???

#9 Ray Oldam

Ray Oldam

• 168 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 16:45

Graham,

Really sorry to hear about that. If you find out who they are, we can always send them a box of scorpions in the post!

ATB

Ray

#10 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 17:05

Thanks chaps for your support, what's really upsetting is the amount of time I have spent down loading pics then up loading them to here, this forum is a really good reference point for racing & now anyone new who wishes to browse through the threads is going to miss out!
If any of you find a missing pic in a thread & want it replaced, let me know & I will stick an edited one back up.

The owner of the shop wasnt there sadly, but his staff were a bit shocked, they were selling Casy Stoner photos too, bet there not authorised either?
Whats annoying & quite funny at the same time, is that the 4 pics of Sheene are not the best ones I have taken, so a little consolation there maybe!? :well:

So if anyone looks in DK (something?) @ Brands look out for Barry Sheene photos, actually I will post it up as I took a pic of it.
Back in a min.

#11 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 17:11

Posted Image

:well: ):

#12 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 17:19

Graham, these "group of photos" type pictures are now common place in many shops, I am sure we have all seen them often, but it makes me wonder if they are all produced with/without the permission of the copyright holders??

#13 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 20:17

I recently had one of my pics published in MCN which I guess could only have been be taken from our Forum or ImageShack.

I did email MCN but no reply.

It is so easy to do, they only get found out when the rightful owner sees the pic and I guess the odds are in favour of the dishonest publisher.

Did the Brands image have Barry's autograph and if so what are the chances of it being genuine.

Think I'll remove mine from ImageShack.

#14 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 06:16

It is a big shame that a few can spoil a lot for so many. Dispite the Copyright issue a lot of pictures has been shown here on the TNF , but in the past year or so it has really diminished , one reason would certainly be less respect , and the fact to me is that you now can find the pictures everywhere on the net. There is a big difference of opinion on Copyright laws , and most outside the US(?) and UK seems to think "what is on the net , is mine!" I dont know if laws or rules are so different from country to country , but for sure it is disrespect at large. I have been searching and researching myself quite a lot , and have mostly met nice and kind Copyrightholders , but such may slowly end with these "thieves and thefts". Shame on them.

Edited by Bjørn Kjer, 18 May 2010 - 06:20.

#15 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 09:21

Sadly this kind of behaviour is becoming ever-more rife; three members including myself had photos published in AutoSprint last year and despite several attempts to contact them they didn't even bother replying... :mad:

Graham, you might want to check-out Motorsport Retro's photos on Facebook - I've already found two of mine lifted from TNF and spotted one of Rob Ryder's. They've also used a load of my scans of stickers on their own website.

#16 jaybee49

jaybee49

• 315 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:43

Send them an invoice for an outrageous amount. Quote date and page number. They will reply then.

Had this quite a bit with my photo and art images on line auction house in the past Graham. We have even purchased them ourselves as proof. They have been on Coffee mugs, Tee Shirts, Fridge Magnets, Wall Clocks, Cross Stitch Patterns , just poor rescanned copies, and I have never ever done that sort of stuff myself with my own images.

Not on FB at present over similar issues…..

Is this one of your pics Graham?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item3cad3f7578

#17 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:13

Send them an invoice for an outrageous amount. Quote date and page number. They will reply then.

Had this quite a bit with my photo and art images on line auction house in the past Graham. We have even purchased them ourselves as proof. They have been on Coffee mugs, Tee Shirts, Fridge Magnets, Wall Clocks, Cross Stitch Patterns , just poor rescanned copies, and I have never ever done that sort of stuff myself with my own images.

Becketts, '84? one of Graham's I'll bet :rolleyes:

The mega- invoice idea is a good one.

#18 knickerbrook

knickerbrook

• 1,231 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 15:03

The B..tards!

Your superb photos have made this forum what it is - and we will be ever grateful to you for that :up: :kiss: !
No matter brother - we'll enjoy your photos just as much with the watermark. You gotta do what you gotta do!

Barry.

#19 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 271 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 16:16

Cheeky sods Graham, thats really not on mate.......watermarks definately required!!!

Advertisement

#20 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 16:43

Cheeky sods Graham, thats really not on mate.......watermarks definately required!!!

I just hate any kind of low life things like this...I sympathise with the music industry sometimes! Bad News Are you sure that didn't start nearer to home Graham? :down: :down: :down:

David

#21 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 16:45

Yep that is one of mine Jim, thanks for pointing that out. :well:

#22 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 16:53

Sadly this kind of behaviour is becoming ever-more rife; three members including myself had photos published in AutoSprint last year and despite several attempts to contact them they didn't even bother replying... :mad:

Graham, you might want to check-out Motorsport Retro's photos on Facebook - I've already found two of mine lifted from TNF and spotted one of Rob Ryder's. They've also used a load of my scans of stickers on their own website.

Hi Stu, yes found 3 on there, Mang & two of Haslam, annoying but dosnt look like they sell copies?

Sadly other than your sticker images Stu, but could not find them, just T shirts?

Edited by picblanc, 18 May 2010 - 17:13.

#23 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 17:06

OK looks like I will have to buy a fridge magnet & then send him a bill? any other advice warmly welcomed?

#24 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 17:07

Once again thanks to all of you for your comments and understanding, bloody shame its come to this though!! :well:

#25 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 17:24

Bad News Are you sure that didn't start nearer to home Graham? :down: :down: :down:

David

It's no coincidence iv'e just ordered a new Audi R8 :love: :lol: , no in all seriousness , I agree with all that has been said , especially billing those who have used the images , legal advice might be an option , most legal eagles offer a free half hour , I believe , I have used it before , very useful :up:

#26 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 17:31

I just hate any kind of low life things like this...I sympathise with the music industry sometimes! Bad News Are you sure that didn't start nearer to home Graham? :down: :down: :down:

David

Difficult to know Dave? when I post pics on FB/Myspace & on here they are always prefixed with my copyright, but its easy to just copy pic & leave that bit out, & once image appears without my name on somewhere else, anyone can 'use' it. :(

#27 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 17:33

You know, I looked at the stuff on ebay...I'll ask PJ if she thinks they would do something about it. What's worse is that they make money on the shipping by adding 'handling charges' and don't care about any kind of morality. I don't blame you with FB Jim, it's going to get worse with that too. I would be hopping mad too. I just asked the missus and she reckons you can do something about the ebay stuff for copyright infringement and they also hate the inflated shipping charges as they lose out on their final value fees. They may pull the ads if you can prove the copyright maybe?

We shall check :wave:

David

#28 dank

dank

• 5,191 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 17:52

OK looks like I will have to buy a fridge magnet & then send him a bill? any other advice warmly welcomed?

You can report the item/seller for breach of copyright. On the listing page, towards the right, is a 'Report this Item' link. Fill it in and see what happens?

#29 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 18:25

You can report the item/seller for breach of copyright. On the listing page, towards the right, is a 'Report this Item' link. Fill it in and see what happens?

Many thanks for that, its a long time since I dabbled in ebay, I cant remember my password? sure the Wife will though, I will do that thanks again. :up:

#30 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 19:03

Many thanks for that, its a long time since I dabbled in ebay, I cant remember my password? sure the Wife will though, I will do that thanks again. :up:

I'll do some checking here...is this one of Jim's photos?

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item414f595d91

David

#31 dommieracer

dommieracer

• 216 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 20:22

I understand why you had to do this, its a shame to all that like them just look and also use in building bikes as a reference. I had photo's published in a magazine of our company without consent from us, it was a welsh goverment mag and no reply when we contacted them. Do keep us posted on interesting pics tho.

#32 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 21:51

A similar thread on the Nostalgia Forum has revealed this little gem, many of us posting photos might not be aware of.

"This is how this board treats everything posted here:"

5.2 You hereby grant Haymarket a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual and worldwide licence to republish any material you submit, post, upload, email or otherwise transmit to them or to the Site in any format, including without limitation print and electronic format.

5.3 You hereby waive all of the moral rights that you have under Chapter IV of the Copyright, Design and Patents Act 1988 in respect of any material you submit, post, upload, email or otherwise transmit to Haymarket or to the Site.

#33 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:19

Speechless really :eek:

David

#34 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 05:09

A similar thread on the Nostalgia Forum has revealed this little gem, many of us posting photos might not be aware of.

5.2 You hereby grant Haymarket a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual and worldwide licence to republish any material you submit, post, upload, email or otherwise transmit to them or to the Site in any format, including without limitation print and electronic format.

5.3 You hereby waive all of the moral rights that you have under Chapter IV of the Copyright, Design and Patents Act 1988 in respect of any material you submit, post, upload, email or otherwise transmit to Haymarket or to the Site.

Bloody hell !!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

#35 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:22

So there you have it.

Corporate copyright piracy.

If I have any photos to put up in the future, I'll just post a link.

#36 pushstart

pushstart

• 86 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:44

Crikey! I don't really think any of my pics I've posted are good enough to reproduce ................. thankfully. But ............. I've no idea how to put a watermark on them :confused:

#37 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 09:57

If I have any photos to put up in the future, I'll just post a link.

I think that would make the "Who, what, where" posts a little less fun, but a link does make it more tedious for someone to "lift" an image. The thing about the photo posts we've all made, is that they were there for the best of intentions. Not all of them are anything other than snaps & that's why the big thread is so popular.
If you look at this from a different perspective, we might be happier, should, for example, a magazine use one of our photos, ask permission even if there was no fee.

#38 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:01

[/quote] (exclubracer @ May 22 2010, 10:22)
If I have any photos to put up in the future, I'll just post a link.[/quote]

[quote name='mfd' post='4365949' date='May 22 2010, 11:57']I think that would make the "Who, what, where" posts a little less fun, but a link does make it more tedious for someone to "lift" an image. The thing about the photo posts we've all made, is that they were there for the best of intentions. Not all of them are anything other than snaps & that's why the big thread is so popular.
If you look at this from a different perspective, we might be happier, should, for example, a magazine use one of our photos, ask permission even if there was no fee.[/quote]

Hmmm, good point Mike, perhaps watermarking is the way to go?

Found some free watermark software here, fill ya boots.

http://www.watermark...om/download.htm

Edited by exclubracer, 22 May 2010 - 10:10.

#39 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:54

Thanks Mick, nice find!
I think Graham would agree, it's worth the effort, as he's the one who fell victim to piracy. From a recent experience I know some publishers will use photos of lesser quality if they believe it illustrates the story. An American magazine used at least half a dozen images lifted from a French forum of an old racing Porsche owned by a friend. Yet the terms of the magazine forbids unauthorised use of something they "stole" themselves. You can remove watermarks, but at least it would be looking square on at them, reminding...
I put all my own helmet images on the website free of copyright & watermarks, but that's an entirely different thing. If someone lifted one & put it on, for example, a T shirt, they'd just be showing my work. I don't really have a problem with that, even if no-one would know it was mine.

Advertisement

#40 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 13:40

...unauthorised use of something they "stole" themselves...

This is the crux of it for me, it is rank hypocrisy for the large publishing houses to carry out this policy whilst at the same time they are the first to jump down the throat of anyone who has the temerity to blag one of their pics, gander...sauce...goose etc.

Ahh I love a good rant.

#41 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 13:42

Crikey! I don't really think any of my pics I've posted are good enough to reproduce ................. thankfully. But ............. I've no idea how to put a watermark on them :confused:

But even a low-res snap can be Photoshopped although I don't know if it can be brought to magazine quality, for example. I'm sure Graham or Mick Robinson would know.

#42 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 17:03

This is the crux of it for me, it is rank hypocrisy for the large publishing houses to carry out this policy whilst at the same time they are the first to jump down the throat of anyone who has the temerity to blag one of their pics, gander...sauce...goose etc.

Ahh I love a good rant.

Yes Mick good point, if any of their pics were reproduced!! Whoa!!
You will probably find that the link that Mike put up, if in a court of law it would be deemed illegal, to do what the people at Haymarket have said, basically that anything posted on here is their's, I dont think so... the rights always belong to the photographer unless he has said differently. :(

#43 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 17:07

But even a low-res snap can be Photoshopped although I don't know if it can be brought to magazine quality, for example. I'm sure Graham or Mick Robinson would know.

Content aware fill on photo shop5 is amazing for getting rid of anything you dont want in a photo (costs loadsa money though!!) so any pic can be used really, but do these publishing houses really want to take the risk? I think they just rely on the fact they hope the photographer wont find out?

#44 SADBATCCM

SADBATCCM

• 797 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 17:35

Content aware fill on photo shop5 is amazing for getting rid of anything you dont want in a photo (costs loadsa money though!!) so any pic can be used really, but do these publishing houses really want to take the risk? I think they just rely on the fact they hope the photographer wont find out?

I am slightly worried with all my great shots someone may nick them lol
A watermark may enhance them pmsl
:blush: :| :drunk: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :wave:

#45 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 17:37

:rotfl: :rotfl: Yes Tim, make it a really BIG watermark, they will look much better!! :rolleyes: :kiss:

#46 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 17:43

:D

#47 SADBATCCM

SADBATCCM

• 797 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 17:57

:rotfl: :rotfl: Yes Tim, make it a really BIG watermark, they will look much better!! :rolleyes: :kiss:

A way round your pic’s being removed from eBay!!
As I run a business on eBay and have had the odd run in with people over the years. The only way they will act is if you have the same product or pic for sale at the same time!! This might work for the habitual users of your pis’s
:confused: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

#48 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 18:26

You notice i'm keeping out of all this trivial banter :rolleyes: :p :yawnface:

#49 SADBATCCM

SADBATCCM

• 797 posts