Photo

MQTA 3 unidentified speedster, DKW & Jim Clark ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,712 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 00:50

MQTA 3 Unidentified Speedster DKW ?

I stumbled across a picture of Jim Clark's first race at Crimond on June 16th 1956 on a Russian Website earlier today which reminded me that I have been unfruitfully trying to identify the manufacturer and model of a car for RJC and his friend Martin Krejci website racingsportscars.com.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The car photographed above is leaving the start line of the Wien Aspern Sports 1100 cc and GT 1300 cc race on the 28th of April 1957.

More pictures of this car can be seen here :-

http://www.racingspo...957-04-28c.html

When I fist saw this pretty little speedster I was struck by the cloud of smoke seeming to come from behind, the shiny hub caps, lights grill and particularly the two mini bumpers either side reminded me of my uncle's two tone red and white DKW Sonderklasse.

Posted Image

Similar to that above with rear hinged doors which on a wintry mornings seemingly filled a whole valley with two stroke smoke as it popped and banged during warm up machinations .

Can anyone shed any light on that Speedster ?

The bulge / intake on the bonnet & grill suggests a front engine which eliminates the rear engined VW specials and Porsche options and I know it's not a DKW Monza any ideas would be much appreciated.

Posted Image

Finally getting back to Jim Clark and his DKW, can any one shed any light on the rest of the cars in his first race HGS 8 would appear to be a Lotus XI, LOA 7 looks like it might be an AC Bristol, JRG III an MGA but no idea what the #18 might be or who any of the drivers are ?

Thanking you in anticipation of your responses :-)

Best

Art T

Edited by arttidesco, 18 May 2010 - 00:56.

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,928 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:39

It's HGS 6, not HGS 8 - Tommy Dickson's Eleven :wave:

I'm sure Graham Gauld can give us names, addresses and inside leg measurements for the rest, but might the mystery #18 be one of the Fisher Specials?

#3 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,928 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 11:49

The Aspern car - identified elsewhere - is the Hartmann-DKW Spyder.

#4 Dutchy

Dutchy

• 706 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:20

LOA 7 is definitely not an AC Ace. Look more closely and you will see the driver is seated centrally which brings me to think it is a Kieft.

#5 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:35

Especially as the number's actually LDA7, which was a Kieft number :)

#6 hansfohr

hansfohr

• 574 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 12:44

I stumbled across a picture of Jim Clark's first race at Crimond on June 16th 1956 on a Russian Website earlier today which reminded me that I have been unfruitfully trying to identify the manufacturer and model of a car for RJC and his friend Martin Krejci website racingsportscars.com.

You must be mistaken, Jimmy's first race was the Stobs Camp Sprint on June 3, driving his own private Talbot MKIII to victory.

BTW At Crimond Jimmy drove his friend's Ian Scott Watson's 896cc 34bhp DKW Meisterklasse to 8th place.

Edited by hansfohr, 18 May 2010 - 12:49.

#7 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 14:03

No Hans, it's your mistake

In English a race is a race, and a sprint is not

So Crimond was his first race :)

#8 hansfohr

hansfohr

• 574 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 14:23

No Hans, it's your mistake

In English a race is a race, and a sprint is not

So Crimond was his first race :)

I am referring to data in Jim Clark's biography, written by Graham Gould. So what should 'Stobs' be called? Jimmy's first motorsport event?

#9 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 15:21

If it was, though I wouldn't be surprised if he hadn't done a few club rallies before that

#10 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 16:43

Ok Herewith

The car in the foreground is the Lotus Eleven owned at that time by Andy Walker who had gone to school with Jim Clark. I think I am correct in saying that it was the original Lotus Eleven brought to Scotland by Perthshire Ford dealer and Lotus distributor Lewis Fraser and later sold to Tommy DIckson.It was by then a bit tatty.
On the left rear, No 18, was the earliest outing of a car called the Saltire which was built by Ronnie Miller the Chairman of Motherwell Bridge Engineering company and civil engineer Pat Melville. The car had the chassis from the Ferrari F2 car that Bill Dobson had raced for Ecurie Ecosse and a Lea Francis engine but it was not competitive and was replaced by a Lister-Jaguar built up by Merchiston Motors with an unique body and owned today by David Ham and his family. The Saltire was sold to a young enthusiast Syd Ritchie who put a Jaguar engine into it and who was killed in the car at Charterhall.
I do not have the programme in front of me but there was a Kieft that occasionally came to race in Scotland and it certainly has the central-seat bodywork. The MGA was raced by Jim Campbell, an ageing enthusiast who was MG dealer for Aberdeen and not only raced but was a regular Monte Carlo and Tulip Rally competitor.

Reference the Stobs Camp Sprint. It was certainly a Sprint because the cars went round the narrow course one at a time and not a race. MG Car Club held two sprints there and Jim also ran Ian Scott Watson's Porsche at one of the events as well as his lesser known Triumph TR3 which he bought off the stand at the Scottish Motor Show. I have attached a photo of Jim in the Triumph as nobody ever refers to this car in his motor sport career.

Posted Image

#11 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,712 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 17:10

Goody Gum drops :-)

Only been scratching my head about the Hartmann DKW since January Vitesse2 ! :wave:

#8 Hans mann koennte 'competition' statt 'event' nuetzen :-)

Graham Gauld, thanks for the inside leg measurements Vitesse2 was referring to :-)

Going to have to check out Hartmann's and Saltires heard of them but not knowingly seen either before :-)

Thanks to everyone who contributed :-)

Ref the registrations looks like it is time to learn the meaning of that song 'My eye's are dim I cannot see....'

#12 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,928 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 17:22

Hmm, if I'd looked at the number plate on the Saltire, I might have got it! Presumably the picture in your Scottish Motor Racing and Drivers book is the later iteration with the Jag engine, Graham, rather than the original LeaF? It seems to have gained a nose scoop.

#13 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 17:28

Hmm, if I'd looked at the number plate on the Saltire, I might have got it! Presumably the picture in your Scottish Motor Racing and Drivers book is the later iteration with the Jag engine, Graham, rather than the original LeaF? It seems to have gained a nose scoop.

Correct : It was Syd who modified the bodywork to get the Jaguar engine into it. Bryan Wingfield helped him with the job. Background to the Saltire is on page 170 of the Scottish Motor Racing and Drivers book.

#14 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,712 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 18:33

Thanks Graham, I'll put that title down on my shopping list, Amazon seem to be fresh out of stock ! :-)

#15 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 18:55

Thanks Graham, I'll put that title down on my shopping list, Amazon seem to be fresh out of stock ! :-)

If you are stuck go directly to our web site www.smrh.co.uk and my daughter Larch can arrange that for you.

#16 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,712 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 19:17

Thanks Graham, the Fountain of Wisdom in doors says it's on the Christmas List I only have £4.25 left from my last Xmas book budget :-)

#17 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,404 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:46

Image.jpg