• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 23:14

Phillip Island hotel destroyed by fire
Posted 3 hours 46 minutes ago

Map: Cowes 3922 The Isle of Wight Hotel has been destroyed by fire in the town of Cowes on Phillip Island, off Victoria's coast.

Police say workers locked up the premises at 2:00am and the fire alarm went off about 10 minutes later. Over 100 fighters responded to the blaze.

Fire authorities have issued an alert for Cowes residents to stay inside because of the risk of asbestos poisoning.

Paul Little form the Country Fire Authority says the fire may have released asbestos into the air.

"If they can avoid going outside while the smoke's around, don't go outside," he said.

"Keep windows closed and if they are suffering any breathing problems contact the local authorities."

The main street of Cowes will remain closed for some time as the area is cleaned up and the cause of the fire is investigated.

The damage bill is expected to be several million dollars.

Where the hell are the racing fraternity goind to gather now?? Maybe not in the trendy resort they have been trying to build for several years :-(

Advertisement

#2 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 03:41

That is sad, I have eaten there on several occasions on race meeting weekends and it was BUSY, and you had to wait wheever you were. I saw some Touring Car drivers get knocked back as it was too crowded.
I was there New Years Eve and it was looking a bit down and the menu was a bit basic too. While it was not packed we did not get a seaview window unfortunatly.
I hope they can save it, as most of those old pubs are they are a rabbit warren of additions but it did have style.

#3 Dick Willis

Dick Willis

• 1,106 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 04:16

Wow ! Many a good beer and yarn was had there during the Historic meets, what will we do now !

#4 gouldo

gouldo

• 142 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:00

That 'was' a great pub. Friday nights there when the WSBK or MotoGP was one was a specialo night. Shame it's cooked.

#5 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 06:17

I second all those sentiments.

I was phoned at 7.15 this morning with the bad news An old and picturesque hostelry which hosted so many motor racing enthusiasts for over 80 plus years is gone. Certainly it wasnt very flash -- ever-- but it was a great place, not least the upstairs entertainment area where the big picture windows were splashed with sea spray as inside we warm and dry sought sustenance and shelter and convivial company.

#6 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 422 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 22:55

Ahhhhh that is sad. I had many a good night at the Isle of Wight whenever I was racing at the Island.

It was funny. All of the riders, (I raced bakes back then), would be dressed any o'l how, (I remember a very scruffy Malcom Campbell more than once), but the guys who were in the pit crews always seemed, (at least to me anyhow), to dress up in their team uniforms....... Odd.

Sad to see it destroyed.

Quixotic

#7 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,061 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:26

I saw it on the ABC news last night and I think it is totally destroyed, They quoted 10 million damage!

#8 Ian G

Ian G

• 1,395 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 01:33

Yeah,they had a bit of vision from a phone on the 10 News last night,huge fire,there won't be much left,the reporter said it also burnt down in 1921(?) as well..Sad.

Ten News Video

Edited by Ian G, 26 May 2010 - 23:44.