Photo

Which wives appealed?

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 15 April 2000 - 23:22

I speak not only from the sense of glamour or beauty, but from anecdotal evidence of their personality...
So we're after stories about wives of the drivers. Like Katie Moss, Baby Hoffman, Erika Seaman, ... these were mostly the women who worked the old stopwatches and kept the lapcharts in the pits.
Some are and were very good looking, of course (they're women after all!)...
It may just be a comment, like Bette Hill at the British GP, 1960: "Graham's lazy, you've got to make him work.." he drove his heart out in that race and nearly too a win for BRM.
So what do we get out of this?

------------------
Life and love are mixed with pain...

Advertisement

#2 Paul Hartshorne

Paul Hartshorne

• 132 posts

Posted 16 April 2000 - 02:18

Mention of Katie Moss? That's one in the eye for Sir Stirling ;)

Seriously, did you hear about the driver's wife who suffered a broken leg when she was accidentally pushed from the pit wall at the 1970 Austrian Grand Prix by a careless photographer rushing to snap her husband?

The unfortunate lady was Donatella DeAdamich. Now why exactly was anyone rushing to take a photo of not-exactly-a-superstar hubby Andrea? :)

Best

#3 BRG

BRG

• 25,939 posts

Posted 17 April 2000 - 07:04

To hell with personality, let's talk looks! Helen Stewart was/is a major babe....ggrrrr...

Right, now I've got that out of my system, the question of drivers' wives is an interesting one. Whereas once they could help out with laptimes etc, now there is nothing for them to do. So we see them very little - and when you see the lack of respect that Mrs Hakinen gets from fans, TV etc for daring to come to races and support her husband, you can't blame them for staying away.

The rot had already set in when I started following F1 and ladies like Bette Hill were already a dying breed, replaced by starlet and model girlfriends. Perhaps that was because drivers have tended to be younger than in the 50s and 60s? But perhaps we did see some "throwbacks" in (the much abused) Roseanne Mansell and of course Georgie Hill.

Oh, and what's this about Kate Moss and Stirling - isn't she rather young for him? :)

------------------
BRG

"all the time, maximum attack"

[This message has been edited by BRG (edited 04-17-2000).]

#4 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 17 April 2000 - 20:26

Helen Stewart. Even before the Mark McCormick makeover she was very, very attractive. Kind of makes you wonder how Jackie got her <GGG>.

Sarah Courage. Pretty, girl-next-door type. The kind of girl who just makes your heart melt...

Dave

#5 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 17 April 2000 - 21:42

What about Sally Stokes, Jim Clark's girlfriend, who left him when he wouldn't marry her. She married a Dutch racing driver (national) I believe.
Wow! She looked good when I saw her at Warwick Farm in the 1960s.

#6 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 17 April 2000 - 22:25

Wives, schmives. Anyone remember Ronnie Peterson's girlfriend? Yoawza !!!!!!

D.

#7 CVAndrw

CVAndrw

• 108 posts

Posted 18 April 2000 - 04:48

Well, if we can stretch the definition: there’s a picture of Nina Rindt at Monaco, definitely not wearing widow’s weeds, in Lauda’s My Years With Ferrari that always makes me swoon with desire even as it breaks my heart;

And if girlfriends count (especially if they’re Mothers Of Driver’s Children) I would place Catherine Valentin at the top of the list: Nelson Piquet might have an infamous penchant for making vicious (albeit perfectly true) observations about the childhood sweethearts of certain of his rivals, but by God, he likes ‘em beautiful, witty and intelligent.

And just to forestall someone’s making an awful mistake: Adriane Galisteau might indeed be plenty gorgeous, but Senna wasn’t cold in his grave before this vulture starting grabbing every sleazy tabloid tell-all deal slung in her direction, and I’m not even counting the nude layout in the Brazilian Playboy (not that I’m against nude layouts, mind); personality and taste should count for something.

And then of course I always thought Marlene Lauda to be as cute as a button. What the hell was Lauda thinking to go from her to Giovanna Amati, for God’s sake?

#8 buddyt

buddyt

• 161 posts

Posted 18 April 2000 - 07:10

In his book "FASTER" Jackie Stewart says about Helen " she married Jackie Stewart garage mechanic (thats what he did) not Jackie Stewart raceing driver. Maybe size doesn't matter, maybe he is not the wee scot he calls himself.

------------------
"Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?"

#9 f li

f li

• 299 posts

Posted 19 April 2000 - 00:22

How about Hazel --- whose 25 lbs probably changed the course of Gran Prix racing more than anyone else?

#10 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 19 April 2000 - 00:50

How about Jean Alesi's better half??

Nina Rindt!! Now that brings back memories.

I would just like Nina to know that I am available. She's a little on the old side for me, but.............

------------------
"I Was Born Ready"

#11 Runner

Runner

• 312 posts

Posted 19 April 2000 - 04:51

Sorry Keir but I don't think Nina is available. After Jochen was killed she married a gambler named Philip Martyn (references to him in JYS's Faster)- don't know if it ended in death or divorce. Around 1980 she married Alex, Viscount Bridport and they have a son who is about 18. Last I heard they still lived in the house she and Jochen built. She was an ex-model and a truly elegant lady. Helen Stewart always said that Nina taught her how to dress.

#12 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 19 April 2000 - 12:21

Here's a few that stood out during the thirties.

Posted Image
Elly Beinhorn was born in Hanover in 1907. An only child, she grew up dreaming of travel and adventure in foreign lands. In 1928 she went to a lecture of noted pilot Hauptmann Hermann Köhl. Struck by the lure of flying to distant places she sought to enroll in a flying school. Since none was available in Hanover she travel to Berlin. Both parents were against their young daughter flying so she rented a small room in Spandau and learned to fly at the Berlin-Staaken airfield. Since there were few jobs available for a female pilot she earned a living flying aerobatics but her heart was still in long-distance flying. Her first opportunity to take a longer flight was when her former instructor asked her to fly to Rome and deliver some clothes to a wealthy relative of a flying club member. Dutifully she took off and headed towards Rome guided only by a compass. Unfortunately her first major trip resulted in her getting lost and having to land the plane, finally arriving at her destination aboard a commercial flight 24 hours too late. From this humble beginning her next trip was to Africa with a group of anthropologists. Fort the rest of her life she would have a special affection for Africa. Later flights would take her to the Americas and Asia. Elly Beinhorn was already a well known woman aviator when she first met her future husband, Bernd Rosemeyer in 1935. Since 1931 she had flown all over the world and in order to finance her trips she gave lectures. This occasion was a lecture to the local Flying Club in Brno, Czechoslovakia. As a guest of Auto Union she attend the Masaryk Grand Prix being held at the time of her visit to Brno. In the pits she was impressed by a handsome driver, who's name was Hans Stuck. But this was not Stuck's race as he suffered what could have been a tragic accident when he was struck in the face by a bird which shattered his goggles. Luckily he was able to mange to return to the pits where he was attended to. The eventual winner was a new rookie driver by the name of Bernd Rosemeyer. Elly was asked by Franz Michler, the Press Officer for Auto Union to go up and congratulate the young winner. One year later on July 13th they were married. To the Nazis they were the perfect Aryan couple and in fact unlike the other drives Rosemeyer was asked to join the SS. Theirs seamed the perfect marriage and the couple became the toast of Berlin. Tragically it was to end not quite three years later with the death of Rosemeyer while on a record attempt.

Posted Image
Alfred Hoffman was a Swiss industrialist and heir to the Hoffman-LaRoche pharmaceutical empire. He and his wife Alice, whom everyone called Baby were keen racing enthusiasts. One of Hoffman's businesses involved the manufacture of spark plugs. To promote his Nerka spark plugs he established a team of Bugattis whose principle driver was Louis Chiron, a young and upcoming driver from Monaco. Things went well for the small team and Chiron began to make a name for himself. Alice Hoffman traveled to the races as a timekeeper for Chiron but soon became more than that. Alice's marriage to Alfred Hoffman had been rocky for some time and of course the obvious attraction that his wife had for the dashing Chiron did little to help the situation. At the end of 1932 the marriage was finished and the former Mrs. Hoffman and Louis Chiron became quite a pair. Another young driver with a beautiful companion, in this case his wife, were Rudolf Caracciola and Charly. Caracciola and Chiron had been friends for a while and even became teammates when each was out of a drive, which in Caracciola's case came when Mercedes temporarily withdrew from racing. Tragedy entered the picture when Caracciola's wife died in a skiing accident. This occurred while Caracciola was recovering from a terrible accident at Monaco. Thrown into a deep depression, unwilling to see any one, his friends became very concerned for his mental welfare. Chiron called his friend and stayed with his friend in the immediate aftermath of Charly's death but it was Baby Hoffman who came to his rescue and helped Caracciola through his mental anguish. They had always been close friends and Charly used to joke that Baby was Rudi's secret girlfriend. Baby had discussed marriage with Chiron on numerous occasions but he was never able to make that commitment. It might not be idle speculation that given the fact that he had stolen her from another man, made him worry that the same fate awaited him. It did, when Caracciola asked Baby to marry him. Torn between the two drivers she gave Chiron one last chance. Unaware of his friend's offer he once again demurred. On June 19, 1937 the former Alice Hoffman became Alice Caracciola. Chiron was furious that his friend would steel "his" woman and it was only much later that his resentment began to mellow. Caracciola had a house built near Lugano overlooking the the lake called Casa Scania and it was there that they would live out the rest of their lives.

Posted Image
Ilse Pietsch was already a divorcee when she married a 22 year old driver named Paul Pietsch destined to be a driver for Auto Union. Their marriage soon soured when reports of her affair with Auto Union teammate Achille Varzi became common knowledge. Tragically her name is forever linked with Varzi and his drug habit that almost killed him and cast a shadow over the end of his great career. It all started according to motorsport historian Chris Nixon, the evening of the victory celebration for the 1936 Tripoli Grand Prix. Hans Stuck had been leading the race only to be overtaken in a late charge by Varzi. Unbeknownst to the Italian the results had been arranged by the Nazi officials to appease the Italian Government who held sway over Libya. Varzi was furious when he found out that his victory had been tainted. Things became worse at the victory dinner when the Governor of Libya, Marshall Balbo proposed a toast to the "real winner", and raised his glass in the direction of Hans Stuck. At this slight the ever so proud Varzi could take no more and stormed to his hotel room. Ilse was there to console him and it was that night that she introduced him to morphine. Varzi, the perfectionist soon went downhill, a scenario all to common nowadays. The Italian government became so alarmed at the behavior of their champion that upon his return to Italy the way was barred for his mistress, reportedly on the personal instructions of Mussolini. The couple still met when Varzi left Italy only to feed on each other's addition. Varzi would return to race again and again only to disappear for weeks on end. In March of 1939 Hans Stuck came across Ilse in Munich. Destitute she asked Stuck for money to purchase a forged Italian passport so that she could get into Italy and be with her lover, who by that time had abandoned her. Later that evening a waiter at Stuck's hotel informed the German driver of a tragic suicide attempt. Isle had been found unconscious in the street, wearing only a pink nightdress, murmuring a strange Greek-sounding name - Achille. Thankfully she was able to recover from her addiction as was Varzi, both with the help of others. This writer wishes to place no aspirations on either victim for in the end they were both victims to an awful scourge that is still with us today.

Posted Image
Erica Seaman was the daughter of Franz-Joseph Popp the co-founder and President of BMW. She met her future husband Dick Seaman at a party on his arrival in Munich following his appointment to the Mercedes team. After a brief courtship Seaman proposed marriage which the eighteen year old Erica readily accepted. All seemed fine until Mrs. Lilian Beattie-Seaman, Dick's mother, was informed. Her reaction was immediate and negative, even going so far as to warn her son that the marriage would wreck

#13 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 20 April 2000 - 01:03

Dennis David,
You long winded SOB!!!
How much "Starbucks did you consume while you were in Seattle???

With all that text, I expected some pictures.
You know what I mean? Bathing costume pictures, taken on holiday!!!

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more!!!

#14 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 20 April 2000 - 02:10

Take a look at it now. BTW never touch the stuff. I prefer my caffiene in a can.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Grand Prix History

Life is racing, the rest is waiting

#15 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 20 April 2000 - 03:58

DD,
Great job as usual.
Coke or Pepsi??

I have "Starbucks" running through my veins!!!

------------------
"I Was Born Ready"

#16 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 20 April 2000 - 05:07

Coke ;) These were actually from my site. When Baby Alice visited Indianapolis she was told that women were not allowed in the pits. Using her womanly charms she convinced the authorities to build a special tower for her so that she could do the lap charts as she always did on the continent.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Grand Prix History

#17 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 21 April 2000 - 06:04

Thanks, Dennis, that was good stuff and very educational. Except that I was sure it was 'Erika' with a 'k'.
Didn't Maurice Trintignant have a real beauty? And I recall that there was some glamour in the Reutemann camp (apart from Peter)... there must have been others.
And, as Barry points out, some were quick to find alternative 'lifestyles'...

------------------

#18 ZippyD

ZippyD

• 583 posts

Posted 21 April 2000 - 22:33

How about Uncle Bernies' dominatrix-looking spouse? I can just picture him on his hands and knees begging for mercy!!!!
"Oh no, it will hurt."

------------------
"I want to tell you something, not about the others but about myself."
"When I saw something like that I used to go to pieces."
"But I'm older now. When I see something really terrible I put my foot down. HARD! Because I know the other person is lifting his."
"What a terrible way to win."
"Cher mademoiselle, there is no terrible way to win. There is only winning."

#19 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 22 April 2000 - 04:42

Not to belabour a point but numerous sources have her named spelled as Erica with a "C". Either way she was mighty cute ;)

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Grand Prix History

Advertisement

#20 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 22 April 2000 - 04:43

Ray, no more messing around either you post a thread on Carlos and Peter or you drop it right now! ;)

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Grand Prix History

#21 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 22 April 2000 - 05:01

Sorry, I'll just have to drop it. I don't have enough information... and who would be interested, anyway?

------------------

#22 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 22 April 2000 - 05:42

Hey so what did you and Barry get together about?

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Grand Prix History

#23 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 22 April 2000 - 15:38

For the first time I saw his book collection. He was busy researching information for a Japanese newspaper article at the time, so we didn't have much time to talk.

------------------

#24 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 24 April 2000 - 14:16

You only saw a fraction of the book collection Ray. Did you note louvre doors on walls of every room? Each has double-depth of books (one row in front of another row) floor to ceiling.
Built-in wardrobes in bedrooms? Also double depth with a row of boxes full of books (all carefully catalogued) behind all the normal stuff kept in wardrobes (like race suits, crash helmets,model cars,ice skates,etc).
And you thought people kept socks in the sock drawer? John Medley liked that touch. He asked if I knew where I could find a certain book; I checked the catalogue in my computer for its whereabouts, and it was under the very limited supply of socks and underwear.
And then there's the four car garage. Room only for my 1971 Datsun 1600 (barely). The rest is wall to wall, floor to ceiling shelves and boxes of books and magazines.
Other people (I have heard) have exotic cars, historic race cars, annual holidays, weekenders, TV sets less than 15 years old, dishwashing machines and more than two changes of clothes.
I just have books, a very expensive alarm system, the Datsun, and a half ownership of an old Toyota Camry.
Everyone has his priorities...

[This message has been edited by Barry Lake (edited 04-24-2000).]

#25 Jhope

Jhope

• 9,440 posts

Posted 24 April 2000 - 07:27

I'm very surprised no one mentioned Georgie Hill. She is damn cute. she may not be the "best looking" wife in the Paddock, but she is quite cute. Erja Hakkinen looks like Marilyn Manson!

#26 Falcadore

Falcadore

• 1,637 posts

Posted 25 April 2000 - 00:10

Stuff the drivers wives - I want the books!
Just a photo of the library would end complaint of every flatmate I've ever had Posted Image

Wow - that's gotta be... do you know how envious you've just made me (and a good 70% of the BB members...)
yours
Mark Jones
VESRIX - Stage 1.1 complete http://v8sp10.nectar.com.au/vesrix

#27 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 26 April 2000 - 09:21

I've spent around 10K on racing books the last three years. May 22nd is my websites three year anniversary. But I fear I still have only a fraction of Barry's collection.

Hey Barry when you leave this world can you will your books to me? I promise to take good care of them. I'll even create a Barry Lake section in my private library!

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Grand Prix History

#28 SteveB2

SteveB2

• 228 posts

Posted 26 April 2000 - 07:49

I thought I'd repeat myself about a blurb about Helen Stewart in Autoweek awhile back. JYS was talking about having an E-type on his honeymoon. "The car was fairly cramped but Helen was pretty agile. We've been married for 37 years."

#29 Brent

Brent

• 1,402 posts

Posted 29 April 2000 - 16:13

LOL

I should'nt use my real name...but fark...i'm innocent..

Without telling names DC's miss's is a supersonic babe...it's hard to stand beside her at a BBQ without falling over in love...

Mika's babe on the other hand....

#30 Huw Jenjin

Huw Jenjin

• 427 posts

Posted 29 April 2000 - 20:26

James Hunt was always a good talent spotter, and Suzie Hunt must have been the most famous "wife' in her own right ------- or do you know better?
Always had a soft spot fot Michelle Mouton myself.

#31 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 30 April 2000 - 23:09

Originally posted by Dennis David:
Hey Barry when you leave this world can you will your books to me? I promise to take good care of them. I'll even create a Barry Lake section in my private library!

I have no intention of leaving this world before any of you other old fogies, so you're out of luck.
But someone has recently managed to convince me that I will one day depart - probably within the next 40 years or so.
None of my offspring has shown any real interest in the books (other than cashing them in so they can squander the money on something pointless).
So I have begun investigating willing them to an institution like the National Motor Museum (although that's in South Australia, which already has the excellent Sporting Car Club of SA library), the New South Wales State Library, or the National Library.
The conditions would be that they remain as a complete collection, are stored together, are not for lending out, but remain in situ for use by serious motoring/motor sport historians.

#32 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 30 April 2000 - 23:41

Of course that would be much better but my offer still stands. Posted Image Don't slow down or I'll catch up and pass you by! It is my distinct goal to amass as large an auto racing library as possible. One area I have ignored is magzines and annuals though I may change that soon. I did recently get my own copy of Grand Prix Facts and Figures.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Grand Prix History

#33 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 02 May 2000 - 20:19

Dennis
My "habit" began with grand prix racing also. But then it expanded to high performance road vehicles, then vintage high performance cars, then everyday road cars, histories of car companies, vintage cars, veteran cars, the American automobile industry (from the beginning), pre-Benz self-propelled vehicles (dozens - perhaps hundreds before Benz and for hundreds of years - even before Cugnot and surprisingly well documented when you get into it).
Plus the technical history of cars and racing cars from the very earliest days to today, then the motor industry (the business side as opposed to just cars), biographies of anyone and everyone who was ever connected with cars in any way...
Motor racing expanded to motor sport - rallies, hillclimbs, sprints, land speed record, and of course speedway, sprintcars, speedcars, Indianapolis and related racing.
Of course I always have gone for anything related to motoring and motor sport in Australia and this has led to an interest in Australian history, exploration, places, maps, bushrangers.
Since childhood I have had a fascination for Antarctica and the early exploreres thereof.
And then, there is a lot of overlap between motorcycle racing and car racing pre-WWII so the motorcycling books grow in number.
Then there are the links between aircraft and cars, which led to an interest in the history of flight and the technical side of aircraft, the early flying adventurers.
It goes on and on. The history of roads (Australia mainly but also America).
And I have a great interest in Australian wildlife and flora, numerous sports I have tried - tennis, sailing, ice skating, ice dancing, ballroom dancing, Latin-American dancing.
I also have a compulsion to have any and every encyclopaedia, dictionary, general history book I can lay my hands on.
And then there's an interest in several languages - French, German, Italian, Japanese, Latin.
Now you understand why I can't keep pace with some of you people on this Bulletin Board. When I specialised in GP racing I would have had a chance. Now, the interests are so broad it is difficult to be an expert in any one field.
However, my saving grace is that, if I don't know the answer to something, I at least know where I can find the answer. And I don't have to go very far to find it...

#34 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 03 May 2000 - 00:06

Don't suppose there's a bible in that lot - plenty of history in that!

------------------

#35 Vercertorix

Vercertorix

• 158 posts

Posted 03 May 2000 - 05:49

Huw Jenjin - Possibly not - Louise Collins was an established Broadway star before she met and married Peter - playing the Marilyn Monroe role opposite Tom Ewell in "7 Year Itch" (which was a Broadway show before going to Hollywood.)

She didn't make the Hollywood run because (a) Fox bought it and wanted a glamour-pants vehicle to shove Monroe to serious stardom, and (b) she was in the midst of a trans-Atlantic courtship and might not have gone anyway.

Given the different times and types, one might do considerably worse than consider her as quite serious "babe" material...!

And, just for the hell of it, a sort of an oblique answer in a different thread to a question of Vicster's - Hi, Miss King!

#36 Barry Lake

Barry Lake

• 2,169 posts

Posted 03 May 2000 - 20:31

Ray
I do have "Great People of the Bible and How They Lived". It was given to me by "The Faster Pastor", George Kahler, for whom I co-drove in an Australian Rally Championship round in South Australia in the early 1970s.
And there is some good history in that.
But if we are aware of the inaccuracy of books written, for example, about The Great Race at Bathurst in recent years, how do we approach something re-written and translated so many times over such a long period as has the bible.
And the author wasn't even prepared to put his name to it!
We could ask George's opinion, but he recently moved upstairs - barely into his 50s, too.

#37 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,217 posts

Posted 04 May 2000 - 14:31

Maybe it's a little different when people aren't doing it for the money. I actually was aware of George's passing, just by concidence I spoke to someone who was going to his funeral...
Then again, you don't do it for the money either. Then again, you make sure you get it right, too!
There's logic in there somewhere.

------------------

#38 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 04 May 2000 - 21:04

Oh yes a I also have a large collection of history, Military and otherwise. Things like the Rise of the Dutch Republic and the History of the English Speaking People, etc.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Grand Prix History

#39 Flat Black 84

Flat Black 84

• 739 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 14:35

Well here's a thread that's lain dormant for far too long.

I'll nominate...

Dorie Sweikert (classic 50s movie star looks)

Barbro Peterson (poor thing)

Bronte Tagliani (saw her during Indy quals last week--bloody hell! :love:)

Advertisement

#40 David M. Woodhouse

David M. Woodhouse

• 125 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 17:51

Well here's a thread that's lain dormant for far too long.

I'll nominate...

Dorie Sweikert (classic 50s movie star looks)

Barbro Peterson (poor thing)

Bronte Tagliani (saw her during Indy quals last week--bloody hell! :love:)

And, as the 500 is tomorrow, I must mention Alice Hanks - still looking good over a half century since Sam's win at the Speedway.

Woody

#41 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,932 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 22:00

I know a girl called Nina, in honour of Jochen's missus.

#42 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,665 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 00:58

for me as a young man Pauline Moffat and Bev Jones.
Although i was once at a Calder State round and Gary Rogers was racing a group NB Mustang and had one very hot blonde in tow.

#43 layabout

layabout

• 176 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:23

Sorry, I'll just have to drop it. I don't have enough information... and who would be interested, anyway?

------------------

I'll bite. Consider me interested...

#44 layabout

layabout

• 176 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:32

I speak not only from the sense of glamour or beauty, but from anecdotal evidence of their personality...
So we're after stories about wives of the drivers. Like Katie Moss, Baby Hoffman, Erika Seaman, ... these were mostly the women who worked the old stopwatches and kept the lapcharts in the pits.
Some are and were very good looking, of course (they're women after all!)...
It may just be a comment, like Bette Hill at the British GP, 1960: "Graham's lazy, you've got to make him work.." he drove his heart out in that race and nearly too a win for BRM.
So what do we get out of this?

------------------

I haven't a clue as to the identity of the lady with Peter Collins in this photo (taken from another TNF thread), but I think she should be included. Can anybody identify her?

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#45 Flat Black 84

Flat Black 84

• 739 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 14:06

Would that I could.

#46 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 16:55

Dario Franchitti is married to actress Ashley Judd, the jammy sod.

Regarding JYS, he has said that if Helen had ever said "it's motor racing or me", it would have been "bye bye Helen". Now that's dedication!

#47 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 17:03

Too, WHAT???
:rotfl:

Regarding JYS, he has said that if Helen had ever said "it's motor racing or me", it would have been "bye bye Helen". Now that's dedication!

#48 Glengavel

Glengavel

• 1,304 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:21

Too, WHAT???
:rotfl:

To the art of stupidity, I think!

If it had come to that choice, I'd bet that when he was lying upside-down and covered in petrol at Spa in a wrecked BRM he might have thought he'd made the wrong choice...

#49 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 20:01

Sally Stokes husband in the Dutch racer Ed Swart.

#50 Flat Black 84

Flat Black 84

• 739 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 21:08

Dario Franchitti is married to actress Ashley Judd, the jammy sod.

Judd's a looker, of course, but she also strikes me as pretentious and a touch neurotic, unlike the stable, down-to-earth Dario.