Photo

USA Grand Prix returns to the F1 calendar in 2012 (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4008 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 17:29

NobleF1 - The United States GP is back on the calendar from 2012 with a race in Austin, Texas. Story here: 10 minutes ago via TweetDeck

EDIT: http://www.formula1....10/5/10824.html

Very pleased to see F1 returning to the States, hope its not a Tilkedome. :up:

Advertisement

#2 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 17:32

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing circuit designs.

#3 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,741 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 17:38

Bernie has this knack of putting something together that surprises everyone.

After all the talk about a New York race, then interest from a circuit in New York State, and perhaps (misinterpreted) quotes about having the "wrong people" at Indianopolis... all of a sudden, a deal is announced for an all-new track in Austin, Texas.

Now, Austin is seen as a pretty cool place here in the UK (mainly because of the SXSW festival), but I bet they like their racecars to turn left down there...

#4 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 17:40

Texas is close to huge cities like Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio.... and Mexico.

Can't wait to see the track!

#5 Texas

Texas

• 428 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 17:42

Texas is close to huge cities like Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio.... and Mexico.

Can't wait to see the track!

This is a dream come true. Can't wait to welcome all of mt F1 friends to the best city in America!

#6 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 17:45

Awesome news for us on da west coast. No east coast travel - yeah baby. Start packin NY! The only downfall is the possibility of Romo walking the paddock but u can't have it all.

Edited by bourbon, 25 May 2010 - 17:48.

#7 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 17:52

Great! ABout F'en time lol. Now get a US driver in hmmm Ferrari to replace Massa :D

#8 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 17:52

Fantastic news. :up: We need to be in the USA. I don't buy this "Americans don't like F1" crap. It's part of F1 heritage and motor racing history. Yeayh... world domination will be complete... :)

#9 Grenada

Grenada

• 3,072 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 17:53

NobleF1 - The United States GP is back on the calendar from 2012 with a race in Austin, Texas. Story here: 10 minutes ago via TweetDeck

EDIT: http://www.formula1....10/5/10824.html

Very pleased to see F1 returning to the States, hope its not a Tilkedome. :up:

But ... Austin ... Texas :|

#10 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 17:54

This is a dream come true. Can't wait to welcome all of mt F1 friends to the best city in America!

Austin sure is nice! Been there last year :) (lived in Fort Worth for half a year :))

#11 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 17:55

It's gonna be purpose built - (somebody retire Tilke)...

(only joking, I am NOT as Tilke basher)

Edited by BullHead, 25 May 2010 - 17:56.

#12 tweiss

tweiss

• 472 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 17:57

I will believe it when I see it...

#13 Lazarus II

Lazarus II

• 4,527 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 17:59

Well well, looks like Bernie is calling my bluff of me saying I won't spend anymore money to travel to GP's - he's placed one a simple 4 hr drive from the house...........

What to do, what to do.

#14 BuonoBruttoCattivo

BuonoBruttoCattivo

• 4,430 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:01

Austin?? I just moved here 2 months ago from NYC!
I cannot believe this, very funny!
But i will believe it when i see it.

#15 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:02

How far is it from San Antonio? And is Sean Michaels an F1 fan? lol

#16 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:03

Awesome news for us on da west coast. No east coast travel - yeah baby. Start packin NY!

lol. :lol: Agreed.

I am very excited by this, I only wish it was starting in 2011 instead of 2012. What's nice about Texas is that aside from being a nice place geographically and culturally, it's a nice environment for F1. By that I mean it's a nice business environment and the people down there appreciate a good sporting event and wont be overly concerned with being "green."

I can't wait to see what kind of track they can put together. I almost wish they'd just take an old layout of the original Imola or Rouen or something like that, and just build that layout with proper runoff area, etc.

#17 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:05

And it also has the Texas Rangers lol

#18 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:06

Well being of mixed race, Austin isn't exactly my choice of dream vacation spot - so in as far as picking spots in America, it wasn't the greatest of locations. But it does have the benefit of being in the middle, so access is pretty fair for getting there. My experiences in Austin have been good and bad, but the city itself and surrounding area is cool and if they build for the track (in addition to the track), they may become the moderate mecca of the South - a regular liberal bastion...

or not.

#19 BuonoBruttoCattivo

BuonoBruttoCattivo

• 4,430 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:06

What's nice about Texas is that aside from being a nice place geographically and culturally, it's a nice environment for F1. By that I mean it's a nice business environment and the people down there appreciate a good sporting event and wont be overly concerned with being "green."

Not true about Austin.
It prides itself about being "green", and you know what, that is a good thing for society. BP anyone?

Advertisement

#20 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:08

Fantastic news. :up: We need to be in the USA. I don't buy this "Americans don't like F1" crap. It's part of F1 heritage and motor racing history. Yeayh... world domination will be complete... :)

You are correct. There is definitely an "under current" of F1 followers here in the USA. Almost every time I wear my Brawn GP hat out in public, someone stops me and gives me a thumbs up or mentions something about Rubens or Jenson.

I'm only wondering where on the schedule they are going to fit in Austin. They'll want to run it back to back with the Canada GP somehow, but June and July can be too hot in Texas, whereas if you moved it up to April, that'd be cool cold for Canada (possible snow)... so I'm thinking they'd probably do Monaco -- Texas -- Canada.

#21 rmac923

rmac923

• 486 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:08

Wow, talk about a surprise!

Actually despite some radical right-wing views of Texans, their economy is probably in better shape than anywhere else in America.

Is the circuit going to be designed by Tilke though?

#22 uffen

uffen

• 1,892 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:09

Sounds positive.
I'm pleased it is a purpose-built track and not a street race. Let's hope it's a good one.
Please, please, don't hold it in the dead of summer.

#23 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:10

Sounds positive.
I'm pleased it is a purpose-built track and not a street race. Let's hope it's a good one.
Please, please, don't hold it in the dead of summer.

It probably will be, as it'll almost certainly be paired with Canada for a North American double header.

#24 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:11

Not true about Austin.
It prides itself about being "green", and you know what, that is a good thing for society. BP anyone?

Sorry BBC, I have spent my entire life in California, so there's no way that anywhere in Texas could possibly be as "green-minded" as here. So my comment is meant in the relative, rather than absolute sense.

Being "green" is a good thing, yes, but look at what happened in Jersey City. They want to run a race there, and the green people shot it down. I'm very glad Texas was given the opportunity to put in a bid. Holding a GP in the World Championship in Texas will be great for the city of Austin, the state of Texas, the country, and the sport as a whole.

#25 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:11

There is one small track at the east of the city,...

#26 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 17,232 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:13

I'm stunned at this.
Fingers crossed it is a success.

#27 F1_conman

F1_conman

• 505 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:15

It probably will be, as it'll almost certainly be paired with Canada for a North American double header.

Hopefully end of May - if this race is mid-summer then we'll have some risk of melting tyres :lol:

#28 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,178 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:15

Texas? Wtf? The redneck center of the world to build a track, for an elite of european and asian millionaires to come and play with their super-technological prototype cars?

Either F1 is going to be something else than the F1 we know by 2012, or this isn't going to end well. I've got a strange feeling that they're going to build a great circuit though.

#29 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:17

Texas? Wtf? The redneck center of the world to build a track, for an elite of european and asian millionaires to come and play with their super-technological prototype cars?

Either F1 is going to be something else than the F1 we know by 2012, or this isn't going to end well. I've got a strange feeling that they're going to build a great circuit though.

If thay can race in the desert, why not there?

#30 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:17

Most likely be a Tilke track and I just drew this and I may be accurate -

Posted Image

But I sure hope I aint! :lol:

#31 ButtonJ

ButtonJ

• 214 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:18

Posted Image

wtf is that :rotfl:

#32 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:18

A mean hairpin there!

#33 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:19

wtf is that :rotfl:

If I were Tilke's student that kind of **** stuff would be what I would be taught :lol:

Indeed Bull! That layout just popped into my head lol

Edited by Henrytheeigth, 25 May 2010 - 18:20.

#34 stevvy1986

stevvy1986

• 3,168 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:22

Hopefully end of May - if this race is mid-summer then we'll have some risk of melting tyres :lol:

Well, Canada is usually the middle of June. End of May could possibly be an issue though, as Americans seem to love Nascar and the Indy 500, which always take place on the last Sunday in May (in terms of Nascar I mean the Coca Cola 600 which is 1 of their bigger races I think), and I'm not too sure if they'd fancy having (for example) the Indy 500 and the USGP on at basically the same time of day, with a big Nascar race following it. It'll probably end up as a back to back with Canada, so Canada is mid June, and the USGP taking place 1 week either side of that.

#35 HanD

HanD

• 79 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:23

spoken with true ignorance and stereotype. good job :up:

#36 seltaeb

seltaeb

• 680 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:24

I guarantee the attendance (and appreciation) will be greater in Texas than it will be at this weekend's Turkish GP in Istanbul!

It will be great. Texas is centrally located in North America, so you'll be able to get West Coast people like me that can't make it all the way to Montreal for an F1 race, but can make the shorter drive (or flight) from California. Plus, you could also attract people from Mexico, Caribbean, etc.

Plus, the area where Austin is has many rolling hills, so I could envision a track setup like Interlagos, where the track sits in a natural bowl and the spectators could have amazing views.

#37 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted Image

this has potential, come on, could be fun:

Posted Image

#38 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

None of you guys have ever dealt with Austin City Council! :rotfl: :stoned:

Pass the bong please! :wave:

I too will believe when I see it. Once they do the REAL math, they'll scurry like wharf rats. Having said that Texans do have a can do attitude; I just can't see them drinking the Kool Aid.

#39 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,178 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:26

Well, Canada is usually the middle of June. End of May could possibly be an issue though, as Americans seem to love Nascar and the Indy 500, which always take place on the last Sunday in May (in terms of Nascar I mean the Coca Cola 600 which is 1 of their bigger races I think), and I'm not too sure if they'd fancy having (for example) the Indy 500 and the USGP on at basically the same time of day, with a big Nascar race following it. It'll probably end up as a back to back with Canada, so Canada is mid June, and the USGP taking place 1 week either side of that.

Well, what about holding it as a back-to-back with Brazil later on the season? Or Brazil GP-USA GP 15 days apart?

I know that the distance to Brazil is slightly larger than to Canada, but they'd still save miles over doing it as a one-off.

Advertisement

#40 HanD

HanD

• 79 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:26

Sorry BBC, I have spent my entire life in California, so there's no way that anywhere in Texas could possibly be as "green-minded" as here. So my comment is meant in the relative, rather than absolute sense.

Being "green" is a good thing, yes, but look at what happened in Jersey City. They want to run a race there, and the green people shot it down. I'm very glad Texas was given the opportunity to put in a bid. Holding a GP in the World Championship in Texas will be great for the city of Austin, the state of Texas, the country, and the sport as a whole.

i didn't know this but austin is listed as the "greenest" city in america

http://www.employmen...reenest-cities/

#41 BullHead

BullHead

• 7,934 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:28

weeee 'reee aaalll goiinngg toooo Teeeexxx assssss !! :drunk:

#42 RC127

RC127

• 1,115 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:29

Might they do a back to back with Brazil in late September/early October, before they head back to Singapore, South Korea & Japan before winding up at Abu Dhabi?

#43 Lazy Prodigy

Lazy Prodigy

• 2,688 posts

Of all the places in America they go to Austin Texas? Im sorry but Ive been to Austin several times and I dont think it is the optimal choice. Good to have USA back though

#44 Wolbo

Wolbo

• 12,507 posts

Texan Lance Armstrong just visited this site and read the news...

http://twitter.com/lancearmstrong

#45 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

this has potential, come on, could be fun:

Posted Image

:lol: good one! But who knows the tyres what brand they shall be then lol

#46 Lamag

Lamag

• 1,147 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:32

Yeah baby!!!

Formula 1 is back to the states

#47 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,178 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:33

spoken with true ignorance and stereotype. good job :up:

That didn't come out right, with the "rednecks" and all. It wasn't meant to take a snipe at texans... only, I wanted to take a snipe at the F1 league of extraordinary prats too. :p

#48 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 4,763 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:33

Official music theme!

#49 Risil

Risil
  • Administrator

• 61,507 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:34

What's the weather like in Austin in mid-late June? I'd have thought a late Autumn/Spring date would be a must.

And Texas is economically rather different from the rest of America. It figures that when overtures to the East and West Coasts fail, they can still succeed in Austin.

As for people complaining about the race's geographical location, get a life. A. J. Foyt, Jim Hall, Ben Spies, Kevin Schwantz, Carroll Shelby -- all Texans. If F1 doesn't want to associate with their likes, then all the worse for F1.

#50 texfan

texfan

• 140 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 18:34

A Grand Prix race in Austin,Texas? Here I was thinking of getting an airline ticket to Canada to see a F1 race. I am still stunned and speechless.

Edited by texfan, 25 May 2010 - 18:34.