Photo

'Lotus 49 The Story of a Legend'

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:15

Just a brief note to say that this title, which has been out of print for some years now, has just been reprinted by Veloce. I haven't seen a copy yet (!) but the chassis histories have been brought up to date so it is a new, revised edition, available in the standard Gold Leaf (red) edition.

Additionally, if you see my post above, about the Veloce discount, you should even be able to procure it for a 40% discount, providing you order by midnight on May 31st and quote the code "MAD10"...

Michael

PS - Apologies to the mods, I thought I was posting this within the Books thread but have inadvertently made it into a separate topic! If you can move it, that would be great.

Edited by Michael Oliver, 28 May 2010 - 15:08.

Advertisement

#2 Hamish Robson

Hamish Robson

• 389 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:01

Thanks Michael. That is great news for those who missed out the first time round, I really enjoyed your book and you should be very proud of it.

Dad works with Veloce a lot, they seem willing to take a punt on titles that other publishers may have second thoughts about (I'm not necessarily including the Lotus 49 in this generalisation) and consequently some very interesting books have appeared. Plus they prop up the Old Man's mortgage payments...

#3 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:06

Will go nicely with the 72 on the shelf Michael!

#4 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 10:12

Brilliant, I am going to order it - I have been wanting to read this for some time. Michael are there any plans for a re-release of your Lotus 72 book! it is the book that has been at the top of my wish list since day one but has always been out of my price range and is now £171.61 on Amazon sellers!

#5 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 15:05

Brilliant, I am going to order it - I have been wanting to read this for some time. Michael are there any plans for a re-release of your Lotus 72 book! it is the book that has been at the top of my wish list since day one but has always been out of my price range and is now £171.61 on Amazon sellers!

There was some talk on the part of the publisher about putting it out in a softback edition which would be erm, more affordable, but I've not heard anything more about that since. The problem is likely to be that, to make it worthwhile, it requires a good number to be printed and not too many publishers want to sit on a large pile of slow-moving stock at this moment in time...

Michael

Edited by Michael Oliver, 28 May 2010 - 15:06.

#6 MCS

MCS

• 4,696 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 15:47

...Additionally, if you see my post above, about the Veloce discount, you should even be able to procure it for a 40% discount, providing you order by midnight on May 31st and quote the code "MAD10"...

Mmmm. Following the tip off the other day from Mr Cox I tried to buy something last night using this code but failed...

Hopefully it will work next time.

#7 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,588 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 16:16

Mmmm. Following the tip off the other day from Mr Cox I tried to buy something last night using this code but failed...

Very strange, but exactly the same thing happened to me the last time we were advised that Veloce had one of these short-term offers on the go. I kept trying, but their site wouldn't accept the code. I discovered though, that copies could be bought that very day on eBay, for a price that was slightly less than what the discounted website offer would have been, had I managed to get the code to work. Even stranger though, when I checked who the eBay seller of bargain copies of Tales From the Toolbox was, well, just have a guess. That's right, none other than Veloce Publishing, clearly a case of the left hand not on speaking terms with the right one. It's an excellent book by the way, how's my sales commission building up Michael ?

#8 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 17:18

If it is not too much trouble, please could you email Veloce via their website explaining this, as clearly something is wrong here! I had a few similar issues the last time they did this offer (!) and they were happy to put it through at the discounted price once it was explained what had happened, so it will hopefully be worth the effort! If you send the email before the 31st, explaining that you've tried to use the code but it won't work, hopefully this should be OK. It maybe something to do with the fact that, theoretically, you need to sign up to receive their email newsletters to be eligible, perhaps it checks your name or email addy against the details held on the system and if you're not signed up it doesn't recognise the discount?

Happy to take up the case on your/anybody else's behalf if this doesn't work but try signing up for the newsletters first and then put the code in again.

Hope this is not too much effort just to get a book!!!!

Michael

#9 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 17:20

Very strange, but exactly the same thing happened to me the last time we were advised that Veloce had one of these short-term offers on the go. I kept trying, but their site wouldn't accept the code. I discovered though, that copies could be bought that very day on eBay, for a price that was slightly less than what the discounted website offer would have been, had I managed to get the code to work. Even stranger though, when I checked who the eBay seller of bargain copies of Tales From the Toolbox was, well, just have a guess. That's right, none other than Veloce Publishing, clearly a case of the left hand not on speaking terms with the right one. It's an excellent book by the way, how's my sales commission building up Michael ?

Or, as Kayemod suggests, you could try the eBay site, if it is up there...!

Kayemod, the commission is building up nicely, in fact its probably reached the point where I'll sign your copy at Goodwood FoS! Seriously, thanks for your generous review and comments, much appreciated...

Michael

#10 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 19:39

Argh, just checked eBay, there is not a single one on there :(

#11 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 08:24

Michael...

I have to say - even separate from the evocative subject matter - your Lotus 49, and 72 books are the stars of my racing library...
A better weaving of personal accounts/anecdote and technical detail into a cohesive and atmospheric narrative of the design, development and racing of racecars, I have not encountered... :love:

I have read them each numerous times over, and still keep coming back to them every few months - usually to research a minor point, but I always end up re-reading huge chunks over again.;) They've given me hours enjoyment...

Thankyou for this - and I anxiously await any future motorsports projects...

#12 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:29

Michael...

I have to say - even separate from the evocative subject matter - your Lotus 49, and 72 books are the stars of my racing library...
A better weaving of personal accounts/anecdote and technical detail into a cohesive and atmospheric narrative of the design, development and racing of racecars, I have not encountered... :love:

I have read them each numerous times over, and still keep coming back to them every few months - usually to research a minor point, but I always end up re-reading huge chunks over again.;) They've given me hours enjoyment...

Thankyou for this - and I anxiously await any future motorsports projects...

Thank you for your most generous comments - the cheque's in the post :lol:

I'm glad that the books have given you that much enjoyment. I really enjoyed researching and writing them and felt slightly bereft when each project came to an end.

The third part of the 'trilogy' was originally intended to be about the ground-effect Lotus cars but that was put on hold by John Tipler producing a similar book, which I feel will have soaked up a lot of the demand for a book on that subject...

Aside from Tales from the Toolbox, which I finished last year, I am working on one or two projects but nothing likely to hit the shelves this year, I'm afraid! I'd love to be able to work full-time on it but it's just not realistic, unfortunately, I have to pay the bills by doing other work as well!

Michael

#13 Steve O'Brien

Steve O'Brien

• 216 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 09:34

Hi Michael how is the book on the Lotus 19's coming along
Steve.

#14 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:07

Hi Michael how is the book on the Lotus 19's coming along
Steve.

Well Steve, slowly, to be frank, although I am still finding info. Because I think it will have to be incorporated into a book on rear-engined Lotus sports cars, I am presently researching Lotus 23s, 30s and 40s as well. But still piecing together pieces in the ownership jigsaw in the US, was sent a lovely photo of Phil Scragg on the startline of a hillclimb in 964 (before which I didn't even know he had been a part of the ownership chain!) and also acquired some nice shots of George Pitt racing 953 at Brands in his own, rather than BRP, colours...

Firstly though I am planning to do a photo book on rear-engined Lotus sports cars with Ted Walker and have already started on the extended captions for this, although with publishing schedules this is unlikely to see the light of day until next year.

Michael

#15 vale61

vale61

• 82 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:08

I have this great book on my shelf, my english is very bad but anyway I could understand a lot about this beatiful car.
I missed Lotus 72 book, it's quite expensive for me too, but I think it'll be my next goal.

Vale.

#16 TecnoRacing

TecnoRacing

• 1,796 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:27

Guys...FYI anyone looking for a copy of Michael's Lotus 72 book, check out Motorsport Collector in the USA (I have ordered from them many times - excellent web shop, no worries.) The appear to still have copies of the book for a very reasonable price...

http://www.motorspor...products_id=351

#17 Kingsleyrob

Kingsleyrob

• 1,578 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:46

Michael, I'm pleased you posted this in a separate thread - had you not I would probably have missed it, so thanks. :up:

I can report that the discount code is working fine (as of 10 minutes ago) and look forward to receiving my book soon to enjoy more 1960s nostalgia.

In fact I'm quite enjoying a spot of 60s nostalgia right now listening to Tony Blackburn on BBC Radio 2 playing the best selling 60 singles of the 60s. :) :)

Rob :wave:

#18 rallen

rallen

• 555 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:30

I have just ordered it too and the discount is working fine!

Regarding a book on the ground effect cars - even though there is John Tiplers book (I have not got this yet) I still think there will be a good demand for it. Motorsport fans are not the type to only have one book on a subject! and it would be nice to collect the series of Oliver books.

#19 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 12:31

.. and also acquired some nice shots of George Pitt racing 953 at Brands in his own, rather than BRP, colours...

Was it in BRP colours when Jim Clark raced it at Oulton Park, Michael? I have never seen a colour pic from that race.

Advertisement

#20 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 17:54

Was it in BRP colours when Jim Clark raced it at Oulton Park, Michael? I have never seen a colour pic from that race.

Alan,

That's a good question! I am trying to remember whether I've ever seen a photo of him at this meeting. The later photo of the Pitt car I have has a stripe down the centre of the front bodywork section, if that helps, so it should be fairly clear whether it is in BRP colours or not if anyone has even a black and white photo of this event.

Michael

#21 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 17:56

Michael, I'm pleased you posted this in a separate thread - had you not I would probably have missed it, so thanks. :up:

I can report that the discount code is working fine (as of 10 minutes ago) and look forward to receiving my book soon to enjoy more 1960s nostalgia.

In fact I'm quite enjoying a spot of 60s nostalgia right now listening to Tony Blackburn on BBC Radio 2 playing the best selling 60 singles of the 60s. :) :)

Rob :wave:

Glad it all worked OK for you Rob! All feedback appreciated...

Michael

#22 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 17:59

I have just ordered it too and the discount is working fine!

Regarding a book on the ground effect cars - even though there is John Tiplers book (I have not got this yet) I still think there will be a good demand for it. Motorsport fans are not the type to only have one book on a subject! and it would be nice to collect the series of Oliver books.

That's a good point. At least I have interviews with the late Tony Rudd and designer Ralph Bellamy 'in the can', so I can always come back to it and pick it up at a later stage. Guess I ought to speak to Mario though...

Michael

#23 racer8888

racer8888

• 49 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:42

Hi Michael,

I want to buy the book, but also to make sure I get the new updated copy

Amazon have it in stock for £34.98 and the ISBN shown is the same as Veloce show for the updated book (9781904788010), however Amazon describe it as a Nov 2003 book and make no mention of the updates.
Do you think Amazon are actually selling the new version?

Regards,

Bill

#24 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 14:51

Hi Michael,

I want to buy the book, but also to make sure I get the new updated copy

Amazon have it in stock for £34.98 and the ISBN shown is the same as Veloce show for the updated book (9781904788010), however Amazon describe it as a Nov 2003 book and make no mention of the updates.
Do you think Amazon are actually selling the new version?

Regards,

Bill

I wish I could answer that question with 100% certainty but I don't yet have my copies of the new edition!

However, it has been out of stock everywhere for some time so I would be extremely surprised if suddenly Amazon were able to produce stock of the 2003 book...

I suspect it is an error on Amazon's part and that it is the latest edition. If the ISBN is the correct one I would tend to go with that.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Michael

#25 Aykay

Aykay

• 30 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 21:08

I was at this meeting and can confirm the car was in BRP colours but with some white markings around the headlights.
I have some (poor quality) photos of the event

#26 Ed Straker

Ed Straker

• 33 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:43

Excellent Michael,you probably won't remember,but I was working as a fireman at the Goodwood Festival Of Speed at the same time as you were visiting it,when the first one came out,and you very kindly signed and delivered my copy to my house in Chichester.I never did get to say thank you,so thank you.

It is a superb book,one that I have come back to so many a time,in fact I bought the Lotus 72 book a few years later too,great books,brilliant reference,and both have a wealth of excellent photos of the two cars.

#27 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 20:52

Excellent Michael,you probably won't remember,but I was working as a fireman at the Goodwood Festival Of Speed at the same time as you were visiting it,when the first one came out,and you very kindly signed and delivered my copy to my house in Chichester.I never did get to say thank you,so thank you.

It is a superb book,one that I have come back to so many a time,in fact I bought the Lotus 72 book a few years later too,great books,brilliant reference,and both have a wealth of excellent photos of the two cars.

Ed

Good to hear from you and glad that you enjoyed the 49 book. It is really gratifying to read comments like yours and realise that people are still getting enjoyment out of the book more than ten years after it came out. Although both the 49 and 72 books required a huge amount of time to put together, they really were good fun to do! Even now, new information about the cars is coming to light and I'm still pursuing a few new leads for revisions to future editions!

Michael

#28 1969BOAC500

1969BOAC500

• 113 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 12:12

This should probably be in the 'Covid-19 Lockdown - What Are You Going To Do?' thread, but I'm now reading - for the first time - my copy of the Lotus 49 book. Or maybe I should say 'luxuriating in' rather than reading....

The 49 was just 'before my time' - the 1970 Race of Champions being the first F1 event I attended, where of course Hill and Rindt raced them - but I can only add my voice to the chorus of those who have praised this book before me.

Interesting to see Michael Oliver recounting his feelings at finishing the writing of both this and his Lotus 72 title - I already know that I'm going to regret getting to the last page....

Wonderful stuff ! :cool:

#29 Steve L

Steve L

• 547 posts

Posted 11 April 2020 - 13:26

I have an as-new unread copy for sale if anyone is interested. Slightly off topic of my core interests, and I am looking to generate funds to plug some gaps in my library!

It is the green cover version which I believe is limited edition.

Edited by Steve L, 11 April 2020 - 13:27.

#30 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 09:10

Gee, does wonders for the ego when you see someone advertising one of your books as 'unread', especially on a thread dedicated to that book 🙄 Anyhow, glad to hear that somebody (1969BOAC500) is enjoying it and that it is relieving some of the tedium of the lockdown. One of these days (probably never a better time than now!) I am going to digitise the interviews I did for the book and maybe try putting bits out as podcasts, as many of the key protagonists (Duckworth, Hayes, etc.) are no longer with us to tell their stories.

#31 Steve L

Steve L

• 547 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 09:54

No offence Michael, In my defence, I read a friend's copy before I bought my own!

#32 1969BOAC500

1969BOAC500

• 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 13:14

glad to hear that somebody  is enjoying it and that it is relieving some of the tedium of the lockdown.

I should voice my appreciation for the book having been written. The amount of research must have been phenomenal. I'd been expecting a sort of 'and then they went to Monza and did a 1:23.6' type of read but the descriptions of the (many) technical trials and tribulations are compelling, especially the reminiscences of the mechanics.It certainly wasn't all beer and skittles.....

Great book. And, as the Tipler 78/79 book is virtually unobtainable now, perhaps there may yet be a gap in the market....?

#33 VWV

VWV

• 317 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 20:49

Great book. And, as the Tipler 78/79 book is virtually unobtainable now, perhaps there may yet be a gap in the market....?

Please Michael do a real book on the 77-80. Pretty Please!!!  And if your really bored, a follow on book on the composite tub cars.

#34 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,183 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 16:35

Please Michael do a real book on the 77-80. Pretty Please!!! And if your really bored, a follow on book on the composite tub cars.

Yes please! The Tipler book is rubbish!