Photo

Forrest Cardon

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cardon59

cardon59

• 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:24

Hi there. My name is Justin Cardon. I was on google and ran my father "Forrest" name to see what would come up. So up came Autosport and I had a good read re the Lycoming that dad once owned.
You where right, he was a motorcycle racer and loved the MANX NORTON with the featherbed frame. We were out recently visiting Ken MacIntoch at his workshop admiring his original and new Manx's. Also one of the bikes that Dad raced (500 Manx), Ken now owns and I have never been able to track down any others.
Regarding the Lycoming. It was the only race car that dad ever owned and raced. They even used to drive it from Auckland down to Levin to race. Dad says it was a lot of fun to drive and he drove it the way he raced bikes. I do recall that he said that due to the lack of a good or any limited slip diff , he would have trouble keeping traction in the corners, but it had great torque and ran at very low revs.
I have never seen the car in the fresh and missed it when it came up to Hampton downs for the McLaren day. There are a couple of large trophys with "Lycoming" engraved on them and a number of large black and white pictures taken by the news of dad racing it back in the 60;s (I think early 60's).
I do hope to see the Lycoming one day.
If anyone has any footage of the Lycoming racing or 1950's Motorcycle Grand Prix 's with my old Dad in it I would love to get a copy.
Regards to all
Justin Cardon

Advertisement

#2 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 11:52

Good to hear from you, Justin, your dad was well-known and respected in NZ in both spheres of racing, bikes and cars. I don't have any access to photos of him on the bikes, but I suggest you get your request for Lycoming pics and yarns into the car section of the Nostalgia Forum, there are several learned NZ motorsport historians who frequent those channels who I am sure will be of help. Also probably worth typing it into the search facility, no doubt it's a subject that's already had a whipping on here at some stage. Good luck in your quest. :)

Edit : eek ! Have just spotted that you've already been onto the car thread, and already bumped into the doyen, Mr McKinney...you're up and away, Justn...

Edited by GD66, 31 May 2010 - 12:20.