Photo

Norton Wankel

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 15:41

I know most of you blokes will know this, but I don't, so please humour me: what happened to make the Norton rotary engined racers disappear? I seem to remember there was some controversy about how the engine size should be measured, and that Norton were in financial do do, but because I was sort of semi-detached from an interest in racing at the time, I've never really known what happened to what I believe was a pretty successful racing motorcycle. I've Googled away at this but info is sketchy, although one site claims a comeback is imminent. So, thanks in advance, gents.

Edited by Russell Burrows, 16 June 2010 - 15:45.

Advertisement

#2 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 16:11

Because they were interesting, fast and British....plus they drank fuel like Phil on a bender :wave:

David

#3 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 16:53

I know most of you blokes will know this, but I don't, so please humour me: what happened to make the Norton rotary engined racers disappear? I seem to remember there was some controversy about how the engine size should be measured, and that Norton were in financial do do, but because I was sort of semi-detached from an interest in racing at the time, I've never really known what happened to what I believe was a pretty successful racing motorcycle. I've Googled away at this but info is sketchy, although one site claims a comeback is imminent. So, thanks in advance, gents.

Complex one Russell,
I think that a lack of a source of engine parts as the company folded would be one cause.Bearing in mind that nothing but nothing engine wise can be used from any other machines.I think also shall we say 'differences of opinion' in team management/engineering ideas could be another.Yes the size calculation perhaps.As you know its pretty difficult to run a successful high profile team without some hefty cash being thrown in,so theres another.The rumoured 'new' bike does exist,but it is based around an old motor,so without the necessary new parts,its going no-where.The new Norton factory said it is going to have new,bigger capacity engine (rotor housing and rotors) made in Italy.It aint going to happen!!Theres no market spin off for what is basically an odd ball.Brian Crighton has gone,Peter Williams has gone.Don't hold your breath on seeing it around much in the future.Lets just wear a smug grin,and bask in the knowledge a British bike kicked the arses of the Japanese and Italians.Oh and don't forget that incredible sound.It was good while it lasted.
BRS may have some much better inside info than me.I was onl looking over the fence from the outside.
Many of the original factory racers were acquired by Malcolm Clube IIRC,but then some then ended up in the Brum M/cycle museum.They have a great line up of them.

HW

Edited by Herr Wankel, 16 June 2010 - 17:13.

#4 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 17:10

Well , HW is quite right , and there is a lot of info in Colin Seeley's excellent book , Colin Seeley , and the rest .
I was at Donington for the CMRC / Norton 3 day meet , where the ' new ' race bike , and road bikes were launched .
The race bike looked , and sounded pretty good , Kojak might have a couple of piccies , i'm not sure :confused:

#5 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 17:15

One of the Dunlop boys rode it, no pics sorry!
But even if it did get finished what class/series would it run in?

or was it Cathcart, dunno cant remember for sure, Gary Dickinson & Michael Dunlop were the test riders for the "new" rotary at one time.

Make that Lee Dickinson.

Edited by picblanc, 16 June 2010 - 17:20.

#6 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 17:18

Stamp ' Honda ' on the motor and run it in , is it ' Moto 2 ' ?? :lol: :rotfl: :lol: :rolleyes: :eek:

#7 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 17:39

In 1991 I returned the loaner Interplod to Bob Haines at Shenstone and the whole set up was threadbare, they were putting a few F1 road bikes together (he asked me if I wanted to try one out but I had to get back to work :cry: ) and may have been in receivership at the time..I seem to remember some Canadian group bidding for the lot. The road bike did less than 25 mpg on a very good day and wasn't very reliable..drank Rotella( chain saw oil :eek: so we had to carry a gallon as it was unavailable at garages. The F1 was overpriced and not very fast..money played a big part and without a road bike connection the racer was doomed.

I loved it, great riders, the TT win, the sound...in fact it had everything I like and nice to see a Brit bike winning too. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Exotic factory specials are (or will be) a thing of the past as there has to be a financial reward for everything these days....The stock market owns racing :rolleyes:

Just my opinion :) :drunk: :cat:

Dai

#8 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 17:55

Thanks chaps. So, the engine size issue was never resolved? If so, surely it's something that can be sorted. Yes Herr, the sound was great. I think it was Simon Buckmaster who was on one of them at Mallory sometime in the late eighties - I remember being impressed by how much grunt it seemed to have coming out of Gerrards and of course that lovely noise.

Well I for one hope they do manage to comeback.

http://www.gaskrank....-carl-12466.htm

Edited by Russell Burrows, 16 June 2010 - 17:56.

#9 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 18:00

In 1991 I returned the loaner Interplod to Bob Haines at Shenstone and the whole set up was threadbare, they were putting a few F1 road bikes together (he asked me if I wanted to try one out but I had to get back to work :cry: ) and may have been in receivership at the time..I seem to remember some Canadian group bidding for the lot. The road bike did less than 25 mpg on a very good day and wasn't very reliable..drank Rotella( chain saw oil :eek: so we had to carry a gallon as it was unavailable at garages. The F1 was overpriced and not very fast..money played a big part and without a road bike connection the racer was doomed.

I loved it, great riders, the TT win, the sound...in fact it had everything I like and nice to see a Brit bike winning too. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Exotic factory specials are (or will be) a thing of the past as there has to be a financial reward for everything these days....The stock market owns racing :rolleyes:

Just my opinion :) :drunk: :cat:

Dai

Nice one Deidre,quite correct,although there were exceptions to the reliability issues.The guy who ran the Beezumph meeting(Tony ?) has a Plod with over 200,000 on the clock and I dont think its been opened up.Yes I know its only one.He used his for courrier work too.
HW

#10 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 22:16

Nice one Deidre,quite correct,although there were exceptions to the reliability issues.The guy who ran the Beezumph meeting(Tony ?) has a Plod with over 200,000 on the clock and I dont think its been opened up.Yes I know its only one.He used his for courrier work too.
HW

Not sure on the life of rotor tips so I'd debate being opened up Andy, the cops spent tons on maintenance, Tim Lee (raced in 70s/80's early '90s) was a mechanic for them as well as being a rozzer some of the time and he was always on about how everything gets replaced before it's service life is up. They used to replace stuff before it broke :clap: :clap: :clap: (which is why we had so many breakdowns and they didn't).............parts :eek: ) Money :rolleyes:

I got thrown out of their compound in Much Park St, Coventry when we were getting pics of the prototype which we sold to Bike! for lots of pounds sterling in true Paparazzi fashion :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: We spent 300 quid in London that night which was a hoot :rolleyes: If anyone has a copy from 1981 it's there and on the front cover :blush:

We had problems with the electrics, it caught fire and five of us pi**ed on it to put it out but we rode it back from Scotland, Bob thought we looked after it well :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :confused:

The Yamaha 600 suspension was not up to the weight of that thing either, nor the brakes :eek: It would seesaw as soon as you used the brakes hard then wallow through the bend...taking the right line smoothly helped and I was able to pee on the other bikes up in Scotland on the twisties on one pot during our End to End run :yawnface: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I had it for about three months and was sad to hand it back :cry: For all it's faults it was really quite nice...seat was as hard as...................................................zzzzzzz

David

#11 Exchairman

Exchairman

• 9 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 13:13

Seem to recall that at least one rotary turned up in a sidecar at Lydden and Brands, driver may have been Gary Golder IIRC;

#12 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 16:58

Seem to recall that at least one rotary turned up in a sidecar at Lydden and Brands, driver may have been Gary Golder IIRC;

Indeed it was Gary Golder 1992?
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#13 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 17:01

Indeed it was Gary Golder 1992?
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

Presumably the same GG who passengered for Terry Vinicombe?

#14 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 17:07

At the resent Stafford Show

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#15 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 17:12

Nother angle :up: Posted Image

#16 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 17:18

Now the important bit :love: , not a lot to see though  ;)

Posted Image

#17 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 17:22

Nice pics Phil, I like the Mini Moto outfit!!

#18 Charles E Taylor

Charles E Taylor

• 213 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 17:28

Norton Wankel

This is what it has become today.

http://www.uavengine...ndex.php?id=394

Charlie

#19 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 17:30

Nice pics Phil, I like the Mini Moto outfit!!

thanks , Maestro :love: , you could do with a pair of those , one on each size 10 !!! :lol: :rotfl: :lol: :up:

Advertisement

#20 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 19:09

Norton Wankel

Charlie

Thanks for that Charlie :wave:

Interesting to note on their specs that the 95 hp motor drinks 7 US gallons an hour :eek: :eek: :eek: Not as bad as my mate's Volvo engined boat though 11 UK gallons an hour :drunk: I'd like one on a boat though..thinks :)

David

#21 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 08:22

Norton Wankel

Charlie

Interesting that the 294cc puts out 51hp.Thats double the output of my old relic of the same capacity.(which is the 'grand-dad' of the UAV motor)
HW

Edited by Herr Wankel, 19 August 2010 - 19:19.

#22 Quixotic

Quixotic

• 422 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 13:20

A bloke, (Derek Rumble?), ran one in the Aussie Champs for a few years.

#23 subh

subh

• 1,191 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:45

or was it Cathcart, dunno cant remember for sure, Gary Dickinson & Michael Dunlop were the test riders for the "new" rotary at one time.

Make that Lee Dickinson.

It was Robert Dunlop, and here is your picture of him from my site:
Posted Image

#24 milestone 11

milestone 11

• 17,403 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 15:49

'92 was my first year at TT, I'll never forget that years Senior.