Tony Moran

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 batandball

batandball

• 12 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:30

Hi all,

If anybody has any photographs of my brother Tony Moran who raced in the 80's, please could you post them. He sadly died at Donington in 1999 and I have so few pictures to remember him by.

Thank you.

Advertisement

#2 gmwzorro

gmwzorro

• 2,498 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 19:19

Hi all,

If anybody has any photographs of my brother Tony Moran who raced in the 80's, please could you post them. He sadly died at Donington in 1999 and I have so few pictures to remember him by.

Thank you.

Got one or two somewhere will dig them out
Gary

#3 gmwzorro

gmwzorro

• 2,498 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 20:04

Posted Image
Tony Mallory 85

#4 dcw

dcw

• 145 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 21:04

I have a couple, you are welcome to them if you want. Let me know and I will e-mail them to you.

Posted Image

Posted Image

David

#5 batandball

batandball

• 12 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:14

I have a couple, you are welcome to them if you want. Let me know and I will e-mail them to you.

Posted Image

Posted Image

David

If you could that would be fantastic..... paulmoran8@gmail.com

Thank you so much.

Paul

#6 batandball

batandball

• 12 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:36

Got one or two somewhere will dig them out
Gary

Thank you so much

Paul

#7 dcw

dcw

• 145 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 21:06

If you could that would be fantastic..... paulmoran8@gmail.com

Thank you so much.

Paul

Hi Paul

E-mail sent.

David

#8 batandball

batandball

• 12 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 16:53

Hi Paul

E-mail sent.

David

Thanks david

#9 suzrg500

suzrg500

• 89 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 20:33

Hi Paul,

Pretty sure that is Tony up my Chuff (my apologies if I'm wrong) at a Revetts National at Snetterton, 82/83ish. I remember the race well, after a good scrap I managed to win by the skin of my teeth with Les Burgan 2nd and I think Tony 3rd.

Les, of course is also very sadly no longer with us :( I often reflect and feel very lucky, like a few more on here I would think, to have come out reasonably unscathed after 8 seasons or so and hitting the road more times than I care to remember.

Sorry about the crap quality, it's a photo of a photo, my scanners decided not to scan :confused:

Credit to Phil Masters for the original pic

Posted Image

Edited by suzrg500, 12 July 2010 - 22:47.

#10 batandball

batandball

• 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:32

Thanks david

Hi,

Thank you for the picture but it isn't Tony. We had some great races at Snetterton. I remember the Bulmers Trophy as we spent 17 hours trying to get there in a van that broke down 6 times on the way..he eventually won...the prize...at the time a MASSIVE £125 which was huge in those days.

Again...thanks for getting back to me. It is sad to see how many are no longer with us...if you look at the grid above there is Joey, Tony and Steve Henshaw all lined up next to each other but all gone :(

Paul

#11 LCRider

LCRider

• 77 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 13:32

Hi,

Thank you for the picture but it isn't Tony. We had some great races at Snetterton. I remember the Bulmers Trophy as we spent 17 hours trying to get there in a van that broke down 6 times on the way..he eventually won...the prize...at the time a MASSIVE £125 which was huge in those days.

Again...thanks for getting back to me. It is sad to see how many are no longer with us...if you look at the grid above there is Joey, Tony and Steve Henshaw all lined up next to each other but all gone :(

Paul

Hi Paul

I remember Tony on his 750cc Yamaha a lot. I was marshalling @ Russell bend one easter (very cold and very wet easter monday!) Tony won all his races whilst many of his competitiors didn't even come onto the grid.

The rider following on the RG500 could be Tony Richardson by the way. :wave:

#12 batandball

batandball

• 12 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:35

Hi Paul

I remember Tony on his 750cc Yamaha a lot. I was marshalling @ Russell bend one easter (very cold and very wet easter monday!) Tony won all his races whilst many of his competitiors didn't even come onto the grid.

The rider following on the RG500 could be Tony Richardson by the way. :wave:

Yes I remember many freezing cold days at Snetterton. It was his favourite track and he always did well there. He ran in his brand new reverse cylinder Yamaha 500 during a race there with an X as his number and the organisors let him use a race to run the engine in. He chucked it down the road at Corums coz it had the tyres that it came out of the crate on...not a happy chappy :)
Cheers

Paul

#13 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 23:30

Paul, if you check youtube for the '86 UGP there are some clips showing Tony, in the F2 race, I think.

#14 batandball

batandball

• 12 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 15:17

Paul, if you check youtube for the '86 UGP there are some clips showing Tony, in the F2 race, I think.

Mick,

Thank you so much. Jesus, that brought a tear to my eye..but happy memories. I was piss wet through though stood in the pits :)

Paul

#15 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,533 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:11

Unless I've just been punching the wrong buttons poor Tony Moran is not recorded upon the Motorsport memorial website. Did he lose his life in competition at Donington, or during private testing, or a jolly day? Please excuse my ignorance.

DCN

#16 batandball

batandball

• 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 13:22

Unless I've just been punching the wrong buttons poor Tony Moran is not recorded upon the Motorsport memorial website. Did he lose his life in competition at Donington, or during private testing, or a jolly day? Please excuse my ignorance.

DCN

Hi,

He died on a track day. May 8th 1999 (My bloody birthday the git)

Regards

Paul Moran

#17 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 13:43

Hi Paul, i used to race at Snetterton in the early 1980's and remember Tony on either a TZ750 or RG500 or maybe both?, absolutely flying around Snett, didnt realise he had died until I read this thread, very sorry to hear that.

#18 batandball

batandball

• 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:53

Hi Paul, i used to race at Snetterton in the early 1980's and remember Tony on either a TZ750 or RG500 or maybe both?, absolutely flying around Snett, didnt realise he had died until I read this thread, very sorry to hear that.

Hi Paul,

Yes he was quick round Snetterton..rarely beaten there. He had what we called the Red Rocket which was a 700 with Fahron barrells which went like stink but would go round corners. He then had a MK8 RG.

Funny thing was, he never went well round Donington which didn't help his career as all the big races were there...and then after retiring he goes there for a bit of fun and the rest is history.

Speak soon

Paul

#19 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 23:05

Yes very sad indeed, did you have another brother who raced? I seem to remember another fairly handy lad who didnt appear very often called Ian Moran?

Can you remember who Tony sold the Red Rocket to? I bought a TZ750 with all the 830 Fahron stuff on it during the late 1980's it was reputed to be ex Alex George, I think a guy called Tim Antill had it before me, I converted it back to 750 and sold it to George Beale in about 1987.

Advertisement

#20 batandball

batandball

• 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:54

Yes very sad indeed, did you have another brother who raced? I seem to remember another fairly handy lad who didnt appear very often called Ian Moran?

Can you remember who Tony sold the Red Rocket to? I bought a TZ750 with all the 830 Fahron stuff on it during the late 1980's it was reputed to be ex Alex George, I think a guy called Tim Antill had it before me, I converted it back to 750 and sold it to George Beale in about 1987.

Hi mate,

Yes, that's my other brother but he was crap!! Ha ha. Fell off more times than he stayed on. I cant remember who he sold the red rocket too. I remember at the NW200 it was clocked 5mph faster than Rob Mclnea's works Suzuki...fastest bike there but he had to get off and push it round corners!!

Paul

#21 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:39

Hi Paul, I remember Ian, he appeared at Snetterton once when I was racing there and seemed quite fast, but based on what you've said he was probably just lining himself up for his next crash lol

#22 batandball

batandball

• 12 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:20

Hi Paul, I remember Ian, he appeared at Snetterton once when I was racing there and seemed quite fast, but based on what you've said he was probably just lining himself up for his next crash lol

Ha ha....perhaps I am being a little unkind. Ian raced 125's in South Africa for a couple of years and was very successful. Get this...when he came back to the uk he brought the engine to his TZ125 as hand luggage!! I kid you not...the chassis etc went in the hold but he put the bulk of the engine in a bag and carried it on to save money!!
Try doing that nowadays!! :lol: :lol:

#23 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 18:52

Reminds me of a New Zealander who I spannered for at the TT a few years ago, he brought his RS125 over from NZ the same way, he finished about 8th in the TT, then I bought the bike off him to give him his air fare home again.

#24 ravenous25

ravenous25

• 243 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 15:29

I didn't realise Tony had lost his life, very sorry to hear that - I've got a couple of pics somewhere, will dig them out.

#25 ravenous25

ravenous25

• 243 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 20:47

one of Tony here, from Cadwell Park

Posted Image

#26 hughdg

hughdg

• 1 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 23:10

Yes I remember many freezing cold days at Snetterton. It was his favourite track and he always did well there. He ran in his brand new reverse cylinder Yamaha 500 during a race there with an X as his number and the organisors let him use a race to run the engine in. He chucked it down the road at Corums coz it had the tyres that it came out of the crate on...not a happy chappy :)
Cheers

Paul

This sounds very familiar,did it happen at a club meeting the day before a bigger event, if so I was next to him in the paddock and helped him get it out of the crate. Got some pictures of the bike somewhere taken before it had even been started. I seem to remember that one of the reasons they wouldn't let him out initially was that the bike had slicks on it and even though he was happy to start off after the pack had left the grid and not get involved in the race it was still a no no.

#27 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 08:55

Reminds me of a New Zealander who I spannered for at the TT a few years ago, he brought his RS125 over from NZ the same way, he finished about 8th in the TT, then I bought the bike off him to give him his air fare home again.

Would that have been Nigel Bish ?

#28 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 08 January 2011 - 21:34

Couple of nice pics of Tony on Manfreds site here.
http://www.highsider...Moran_86_01.htm

#29 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 00:15

Would that have been Nigel Bish ?

It certainly was Mr Bish or 'Bushwacker' as we called him :lol: it was one of the most enjoyable TT's i've ever had, a good rider and a formidable party animal.

Edited by Paul Collins, 09 January 2011 - 00:20.

#30 PhilBman

PhilBman

• 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 20:30

Hi I have arrived at this forum a long time after the question was asked about Tony Moran. I was born in Poynton and in the late 70s early 80s became aware of a Tony Moran who raced a Harris framed Kawasaki with some success at Darley Moor circuit. I believe his main competition at the time was an RG500 ridden by somebody named Dean (surname) cannot remember his first name. If this is the same Tony, then his father frequented the Miner's Arrm in Poynton and entertained us with his card tricks. The last I heard of Tony was racing at the Isle of Man in the late 80s in the season where we lost a few competitors in the production classes. I believe in one race Tony's suspension collapsed at the top of Bray Hill and he managed to stay on the bike but left tyre marks from top to bottom of the hill, he at the time had posted a creditable 110 mile an hour lap time not many had done that. I am sorry to hear of his passing. Unfortunately I do not have photographs but remember a man dedicated to motorbike racing.

#31 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:39

Hi I have arrived at this forum a long time after the question was asked about Tony Moran. I was born in Poynton and in the late 70s early 80s became aware of a Tony Moran who raced a Harris framed Kawasaki with some success at Darley Moor circuit. I believe his main competition at the time was an RG500 ridden by somebody named Dean (surname) cannot remember his first name. If this is the same Tony, then his father frequented the Miner's Arrm in Poynton and entertained us with his card tricks. The last I heard of Tony was racing at the Isle of Man in the late 80s in the season where we lost a few competitors in the production classes. I believe in one race Tony's suspension collapsed at the top of Bray Hill and he managed to stay on the bike but left tyre marks from top to bottom of the hill, he at the time had posted a creditable 110 mile an hour lap time not many had done that. I am sorry to hear of his passing. Unfortunately I do not have photographs but remember a man dedicated to motorbike racing.

Probably Dave Dean who hails from Wigan.

#32 GTPRacing

GTPRacing

• 42 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 14:52

I may be able to shed some light on what happened to Tony's TZ700.  I remember Tony winning the Darley Moor Championship on this bike, I guess it must have been 83/84 or somewhere around that time. I'm pretty sure my friend and indeed, at the time next door neighbour, Steve Bull bought that championship winning bike from Tony and indeed went on to win the same Darley championship the following season. Steve then continued to race the bike for the next couple of seasons, mainly in Ireland, as I recall, because he managed to get some expenses paid when racing over there. Tragically, Steve lost his life a few days after crashing at the notorious Mathers Cross, in the 1987 North West 200. This was one of the contributing factors which lead to the chicane being introduced at this point on the circuit. There was some debate at the time over whether the bike seized, although I never knew the official reason for his crash. What happened to the bike after that, or even if any of it survived, I don't know. 

Edited by GTPRacing, 15 September 2015 - 14:53.

#33 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,433 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:04

DCN

Tony Moran's page was already entered in the Motorsport Memorial:

http://www.motorspor...WF&db=ms&n=2283

but, according to the criteria of the site

http://www.motorspor...teria.php?db=ms

being his accident a track day fatality, his record had been entered in the "Lest We Forget" chapter of the Motorsport Memorial, which is dedicated to non-racing related deaths.

#34 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 20:05

It certainly was Mr Bish or 'Bushwacker' as we called him :lol: it was one of the most enjoyable TT's i've ever had, a good rider and a formidable party animal.

He worked behind the bar in the King Edward VII in Stratford E15 briefly. The landlord the time, Paul, was well into his bike racing.

#35 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 04 May 2019 - 21:11

He worked behind the bar in the King Edward VII in Stratford E15 briefly. The landlord the time, Paul, was well into his bike racing.

That's sounds right for him, he was a bit of a 'journeyman' and could pop up anywhere, he stayed briefly on the IOM for a few months then went home, and as far as I'm aware he is still back in NZ and doing a bit of classic racing.

#36 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 3,726 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 20:58

& project managing 

https://www.fspteam.co.nz/about/