D. J. L. 'John' Macdonald

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Angus Lamont

Angus Lamont

• 81 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 03:41

Hi there,

I have been researching the racing history of my friend D. J. L. “John” Macdonald, a very successful kart, motorcycle and car racer in S. E. Asia. Before leaving England John raced a 998cc Vincent in 1957 and 1958 at race meetings and was the Technical Officer of the Vincent Owners Club.

I have received a remarkable response to events that occurred over 50 years ago from the newspapers, clubs, organizations and individuals that I have approached and am now trying to tie up the last few loose ends.

I would appreciate any information that anyone has about John Macdonald’s racing but specifically about the following:

7 September 1957 Brighton Speed Trials: The only info that I have is that it was a wet meeting. Strange as I have John’s results for the 1958 event.

26 May 1958. Brands Hatch: Anyone remember a huge tank-slapper John had at Paddock Hill Bend (a experienced rider following John said “in spite of many years of very varied racing experience I have never witnessed a more terrifying sight!”) but John didn’t drop it!

June 1958? Vintage Motor Cycle Club Sprint, Ely, Cambridgeshire: Can anyone confirm the date or give any more details? I have John’s result: 3rd FTD running methanol with standard pistons.

4 August 1958. Guernsey Motorcycle and Car Club’s Val de Terres hill-climb. I have John’s result as 4th but no time.

4 October 1958. BMCRC meeting, Crystal Palace: John was not featured in the results. Was he entered? Appalling weather prevailed with torrential rain.

Thanks.

Advertisement

#2 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 18:41

Hi there,

I have been researching the racing history of my friend D. J. L. “John” Macdonald, a very successful kart, motorcycle and car racer in S. E. Asia. Before leaving England John raced a 998cc Vincent in 1957 and 1958 at race meetings and was the Technical Officer of the Vincent Owners Club.

I have received a remarkable response to events that occurred over 50 years ago from the newspapers, clubs, organizations and individuals that I have approached and am now trying to tie up the last few loose ends.

I would appreciate any information that anyone has about John Macdonald’s racing but specifically about the following:

7 September 1957 Brighton Speed Trials: The only info that I have is that it was a wet meeting. Strange as I have John’s results for the 1958 event.

26 May 1958. Brands Hatch: Anyone remember a huge tank-slapper John had at Paddock Hill Bend (a experienced rider following John said “in spite of many years of very varied racing experience I have never witnessed a more terrifying sight!”) but John didn’t drop it!

June 1958? Vintage Motor Cycle Club Sprint, Ely, Cambridgeshire: Can anyone confirm the date or give any more details? I have John’s result: 3rd FTD running methanol with standard pistons.

4 August 1958. Guernsey Motorcycle and Car Club’s Val de Terres hill-climb. I have John’s result as 4th but no time.

4 October 1958. BMCRC meeting, Crystal Palace: John was not featured in the results. Was he entered? Appalling weather prevailed with torrential rain.

Thanks.

Hi Angus, thought I had that Palace programme but seems I haven't. Also, cant find him listed in other meetings around the same time. So, not much help! Welcome anyway, and you never know with these blokes what'll turn up, so keep checking in.

#3 Angus Lamont

Angus Lamont

• 81 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:15

Hi Russell,

Thanks for taking the time to look anyway. I know that it is unlikely that there will be much response but it is just a final effort so that I can say that I've exhausted all avenues!

I'll keep checking.

#4 germanty

germanty

• 160 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 16:36

Hi there,

Thanks.

I was standing at the top of Paddock Hill Bend with the chief travelling marshall Ken Phillips and we saw this 'Tank Slapper'which was pretty spectacular. I have recently found the program for that event and I see your man MacDonald won the event. He is shown as coming from Coventry. Notice the low speed of the race - cant remember the weather that day however.

Posted Image

#5 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 18:34

[quote name='germanty' date='Jun 26 2013, 17:36' post='6326743']
I was standing at the top of Paddock Hill Bend with the chief travelling marshall Ken Phillips

Would that be the same Ken Phillips of Brands Hatch fame , germanty ??

#6 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 00:07

Posted Image

From the Brands Hatch 50 years souvenir mag by Norrie Whyte.

Edited by GD66, 27 June 2013 - 05:01.

#7 Angus Lamont

Angus Lamont

• 81 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:42

Gentlemen,

John won the first heat run in the rain which accounts for the slow time that you mentioned. Despite has tank-slapper he placed 4th in the final (presumably run in the dry).

He told me that at one time he had a photo of the tyre marks left on the track and that must have been worth seeing.

You mentioned that came from Coventry and he was working for the Rootes group at that time (probably making spare parts for his Vincent!).

I have taken the liberty of posting this entertaining anecdote reproduced from the Motor Sports Club of Hong Kong’s Chequered Flag magazine. The contributor was Fred Merrill but I don’t know from whom he got the story. For some reason I think that it might have been Chris Williams.

There is a tale in the 1970 edition of the MSCHK's Chequered Flag explaining why John ended up in Hong Hong in the first place. “Once upon a time John raced Vincents back in England. For those who don't know, these are particularly potent 1,000cc motorcycles, whose handling and steering characteristics are generally agreed to be "interesting". Our John was pretty good on these controversial beasts. Other riders of the day thought he was definitely going places. That is until THE DAY at Brand's Hatch. My informant - no mean performer himself - was following John at the time. In spite of many years of very varied racing experience he says that he has never witnessed a more terrifying sight. Whilst entering Paddock Hill Bend, a particularly awesome downhill right-hander the Vincent got into an almighty wobble, a real tank-slapper, in fact. I am assured that this was the longest, fastest, and most uncontrollable wobble ever observed by these hardened participants. And on a Vincent this would definitely be listed in the NO JOKE category. Contrary to popular opinion at that instant however, John did not give up the seemingly unequal battle and eventuate on his posterior. My friend suggested that the high cost of Vincent spares perhaps even influenced his efforts. However, he stayed aboard, and the bike gave up its efforts to unseat him, the wobble eventually fizzled out, and the corner was somehow negotiated successfully. My friend, an incurable humorist, ended the tale with the following comment. "We never saw John again - and we don't blame him!"