Roy Robinson

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pennyrobinson6

pennyrobinson6

• 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:46

Hi

I was wondering if anyone out there remembers my dad Roy Robinson who sadly passed away in 1983. He raced bikes in the 50's & 60's and was also mechanic for Phil Read and Mike Hailwood.

I am trying to find out as much as I can about his racing life. I obviously remember the trophies on the side board and him showing me photos and talking about his time racing and him mentioning names like Maurice Hawthorn, Oliver Howe, Ralph Bryans (who is still a family friend), Phil Read, Bill Ivy, Ferry Brouwer, Ron Eldridge, Tanaka San, John Hartle, Jake Allport, Nobby Clark, Tommy Robb to name a few. I have been doing a bit of research on and off over the past few years and have had contact with several people who remember him. I know that, among others, he raced Manx Norton at the International Road Races in Tubbergen on the program he is printed on the entrylist. 250cc on Greeves, 350cc on a Norton, 500cc on a Norton.

I hope that someone remembers my dad and can fill me in on more of his racing life.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this

Regards to all

Penny

Advertisement

#2 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows

• 6,529 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:31

Hi

I was wondering if anyone out there remembers my dad Roy Robinson who sadly passed away in 1983. He raced bikes in the 50's & 60's and was also mechanic for Phil Read and Mike Hailwood.

I am trying to find out as much as I can about his racing life. I obviously remember the trophies on the side board and him showing me photos and talking about his time racing and him mentioning names like Maurice Hawthorn, Oliver Howe, Ralph Bryans (who is still a family friend), Phil Read, Bill Ivy, Ferry Brouwer, Ron Eldridge, Tanaka San, John Hartle, Jake Allport, Nobby Clark, Tommy Robb to name a few. I have been doing a bit of research on and off over the past few years and have had contact with several people who remember him. I know that, among others, he raced Manx Norton at the International Road Races in Tubbergen on the program he is printed on the entrylist. 250cc on Greeves, 350cc on a Norton, 500cc on a Norton.

I hope that someone remembers my dad and can fill me in on more of his racing life.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this

Regards to all

Penny

Hi Penny and welcome.

I'm afraid I know almost nothing about your dad although the name is familiar, especially in connection with Readie. What nationality was he? Perhaps some pics would jog a few memories ?

#3 pennyrobinson6

pennyrobinson6

• 6 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 17:12

Hi Penny and welcome.

I'm afraid I know almost nothing about your dad although the name is familiar, especially in connection with Readie. What nationality was he? Perhaps some pics would jog a few memories ?

Ok I will try to get one up - thanks

#4 bohugo

bohugo

• 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 17:59

I was racing together with your father Roy Robinson 1962 and can tell you about this. We were friends together in Belgium racing at Mettet and Ciplet and later Tubbergen in Holland. I can give you more if you contact me.

Bo Granath

#5 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 11 November 2015 - 21:39

A warm welcome to you Mr Granath, this forum is not as active as it used to be a few years ago but it is always a pleasure and honour to have contributions from a rider of your standard !

#6 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 18:37

A warm welcome from me too Bo, I saw you race in the 70's, and any photo's or stories about your awesome 500 Husky would be more than welcome.