Photo

Soames Langton

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Rainer Nyberg

Rainer Nyberg

• 1,768 posts

Posted 10 December 2000 - 15:37

Porsche-driver Soames Langton got hurt in a GT race a few years back.
Does anyone know if he has recovered from his injuries?

Posted Image

Rainer[p][Edited by Rainer Nyberg on 12-10-2000]

Advertisement

#2 andy_bee

andy_bee

• 651 posts

Posted 11 December 2000 - 17:21

maybe drop an email to Paul lanzante.

http://www.racecar.c...ante/index.html

#3 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 13 December 2000 - 19:28

Poor Soames has been in a coma since the accident more than four years ago.

#4 Mark Bennett

Mark Bennett

• 256 posts

Posted 19 November 2004 - 15:46

Having searched around, it looks like Soames was still in a coma earlier this year (2004).
That's 8 years after the accident at Nogaro.

I only met him a few times, and once spent a pleasant few hours at his home/business pouring over the cars he had for sale. He seemed really nice person.

If anyone has any update - or could convey my wishes (not that my name would mean anything to him - I was just a face that turned up a few times!) then I would be grateful.

#5 johnscott

johnscott

• 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 19:55

Hi. I am a friend of the Langton family and at this moment am sitting with Soames sister Amanda.
Firstly may we thank you for your concern. It's nice to know that the big fella is remembered.
As for Soames condition, I can report that he has not been in a coma for 8 years as reported.
He is fit and well, unfortunately he has a condition called "locked in syndrome" which basically means that he undersrands everything that is going on etc but lacks the means to communicate at this time. He is receiving ongoing treatment and the family hope that one day he will talk again.

Once again, on behalf of the family I would like to thank you for your concern.

#6 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 302 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 13:27

Hello friends,

I remember Soames in the 24 Hours of LE MANS in 1996, sign my autograph notebook ...

and I offer to you 2 pics of this race.

just before the Hunaudières straight line

Posted Image

and this one in the junction of Bugatti track

Posted Image

Sorry for the blurred, but Soames was quickly than me... :lol:

His team mates was Steve O'ROURKE (RIP) and Guy HOLMES.

#7 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 14:06

I too am friends with Soames' family, and tried very hard to find out what happened at Nogaro. I have written about this before, but after Stephen Langton's accident, I am amazed at Elizabeth's (Soames mum) strength with all that has happened. I have visited Soames, and it is heartbreaking. I remember comparing Soames' telemetry with that of Stanley Dickens, and Soames was soooo much quicker in the same car. Lovely to see pictures of Soames in happier times, anyone got pictures of him in the McLaren??

#8 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 302 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 14:24

Hello,

I have a precision about the second pic , I think that is Soames at the driving wheel...look his helmet - blue white and red - HOLMES have an "union jack" colours helmet and O'ROURKE a blue and red colours.

#9 Haine Kane

Haine Kane

• 302 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 17:15

Hello,

I know that Soames birth place is Kingstown in England but what is the county , because I find in my atlas : 10 Kingstown

Thanks a lot.

#10 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 18:24

Originally posted by Haine Kane

I know that Soames birth place is Kingstown in England but what is the county , because I find in my atlas : 10 Kingstown

I would have thought 'Kingston' more likely (Kingston-on -Thames), which is in Surrey

#11 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 18:56

I agree that the spelling is probably Kingston, but the problem is the same - there are loads of them! My road atlas has 8 plain Kingstons and 12 Kingston somethings (e.g. Kingston upon Thames)

#12 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 19:09

Well it was Surrey, Stephen Langton Ltd operated from lingfield

#13 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:58

Originally posted by Haine Kane
I think that is Soames at the driving wheel...look his helmet - blue white and red

You decide ! This was the new helmet delivered for Nogaro...Posted Image Posted Image

#14 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 13:40

Mike, did he use that one at Nogaro? I only ask as when Elizabeth asked me to help look into what happened, the helmet I was shown was a Vortex, with the trip strip "V" s on it. It was a long time ago, if it is the same one, it is so sad.................

#15 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 13:53

Originally posted by f1steveuk
Mike, did he use that one at Nogaro? I only ask as when Elizabeth asked me to help look into what happened, the helmet I was shown was a Vortex, with the trip strip "V" s on it. It was a long time ago, if it is the same one, it is so sad.................

Steve, tbh I'm not sure. The M3 pictured was probably the last of Soames' helmets I painted. I am sure it was sent ready for that event...there being a particular reason I recall this...
I was phoned by Snell some time later & questioned about the accident helmet. They had been given a helmet by (IIRC)an insurance company for examination.

#16 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 18:03

Thanks Mike, I am pretty sure the one pictured isn't the one he finally used in Nagaro. One of the worst things I ever had to do was look at that Vortex. Never found out if all the damage was caused by the accident or the tests carried out afterwards, but still a bloody shame...

#17 mfd

mfd

• 2,987 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 19:11

Originally posted by f1steveuk
One of the worst things I ever had to do was look at that Vortex. Never found out if all the damage was caused by the accident or the tests carried out afterwards, but still a bloody shame...

Probably this one? I guess with the "the look" it's easy to forget the original purpose...
Posted Image

#18 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 22:34

Originally posted by D-Type
I agree that the spelling is probably Kingston, but the problem is the same - there are loads of them! My road atlas has 8 plain Kingstons and 12 Kingston somethings (e.g. Kingston upon Thames)

The GRO Index confirms that it was Kingston upon Thames.

#19 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,397 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:41

Posted Image
Coys Festival 1994 - Quite a spectacle!

Advertisement

#20 hhh

hhh

• 157 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:03

Posted Image
Coys Festival 1994 - Quite a spectacle!

What is his condition today?
I was devastated when he had his accident, we raced in the same series and I liked him a lot.
He always called me the "Crazy Dutchman".
If anyone here is in touch with him, pls tell him that we all remember him and wish him well!!

#21 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 14:41

What is his condition today?
I was devastated when he had his accident, we raced in the same series and I liked him a lot.
He always called me the "Crazy Dutchman".
If anyone here is in touch with him, pls tell him that we all remember him and wish him well!!

I don't think much has changed to be honest, but I'll pass on your message to Amanda

#22 Blackadder

Blackadder

• 2 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:17

Oh my. I came across this thread by accident while looking for directions to the Stephen Langton pub (no relation).

I had not heard the news about Soames and am really saddened. As a teenager I was with the Langton family on the terrible day Soames father died at Brands Hatch. I have some poignant photos somewhere of both Soames and his father on the grid. For a second tragedy to hit the family just doesn’t seem fair. They are such a lovely group of people. Their 'live now' attitude was infectious, probably being responsible for me taking up Caterham racing later in life, much to my wifes disdain!

If anyone is still in touch with them please pass my best wishes on to Soames and the rest of the family.

#23 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:28

If you havent seen it on the front page, sadly Soames passed away http://forums.autosp...howtopic=146627