Photo

Donington 1938

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 plutoman

plutoman

• 115 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:15

Thought I'd share these photos from an album I acquired a few years ago; apologies for the quality - I photographed the originals using a basic digital camera, but the photos are quite small so these images aren't quite as sharp as they should be.

Anyway, I thought they may be of interest.

Posted Image
Von Brauchitsch

Posted Image
Hasse

Posted Image
Nuvolari

Posted Image
Lang

Posted Image
Muller

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,605 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:46

This is interesting - we've seen some of these before:

Sorry for the quality of this photograph but it was taken with a small box camera by my uncle at the 1938 Donington Grand Prix.Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I wonder what he is thinking.

Two more from 1938 Donington Grand Prix.

Rare photo of Billy Cotton
Posted Image

Posted Image

Plutoman, perhaps you should get in touch with Speedman 13, he might be interested in knowing that some more of his uncle's photos survive elsewhere.

#3 plutoman

plutoman

• 115 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 10:25

Plutoman, perhaps you should get in touch with Speedman 13, he might be interested in knowing that some more of his uncle's photos survive elsewhere.

This is indeed interesting ... I was unable to dig up anything on the history of this album, now perhaps I can.

#4 SeanBlue

SeanBlue

• 47 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 14:23

Here's a 21 min documentary video of the 1937 Donington. It's scheduled to play 18 July 9:36PM EST so you'll have to set a reminder.

#5 plutoman

plutoman

• 115 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 15:06

Here's a 21 min documentary video of the 1937 Donington. It's scheduled to play 18 July 9:36PM EST so you'll have to set a reminder.

Thanks for that. I've set myself a reminder so hopefully won't miss it.

Re. the photos - perhaps this thread should be merged with the original 'personal photos from the paddock' thread? I've pm'd speedman, and he's keen to see some of the other photos from the album again (seems I bought them from him off ebay all those years ago - small world!)

Here's another taster ...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 16:45

perhaps this thread should be merged with the original 'personal photos from the paddock' thread?

If you took them personally, yes :)

#7 Cardenas

Cardenas

• 59 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 21:37

lovely photos plutoman. i've never seen them before.

#8 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 22:39

Posted Image

Note to non Brits - most people who remember Billy Cotton have recollections of this (or the radio eqivalent)

Edited by Geoff E, 16 July 2010 - 22:40.

#9 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 22:59

And for those who haven't read it, I can recommend his autobiography "I did it my way". Not great literature, but informative on both his racing and his military service in the Great War in addition to the music stuff. Copies turn up fairly regularly on eBay at reasonable prices.

#10 plutoman

plutoman

• 115 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 17:36

Some from 1937 ... love the contrast between the German and the british cars!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:43

Another half dozen photographs from the 1938 Grand Prix turned up on eBay last week and I have added them to my collection. They are 7cm x 4.5cm, probably contact prints.

I have scanned a couple of them below. As you can see they suggest a professional touch. Indeed a couple of the shots have a familiar feel. Does anyone know who the photographer was?

Tony

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by taylov, 24 July 2010 - 07:58.

#12 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:35

Another half dozen photographs from the 1938 Grand Prix turned up on eBay last wek and I have added them to my collection. They are 7cm x 4.5cm, probably contact prints.

I have scanned a couple of them below. As you can see they suggest a professional touch. Indeed a couple of the shots have a familiar feel. Does anyone know who the photographer was? Tony

Here's another image from the same lot. I'm still hoping that someone might recognise these photographs. Tony

Posted Image

#13 fuzzi

fuzzi

• 583 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:20

I think that's Christian Kautz in the overcoat with goggles round his neck

It is definitely Luigi Villoresi in the light Maserati overalls in the centre of the last photo.

Edited by fuzzi, 24 July 2010 - 09:24.

#14 taylov

taylov

• 624 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:25

I think that's Christian Kautz in the overcoat with goggles round his neck. It is definitely Luigi Villoresi in the light Maserati overalls in the centre of the last photo.

Thank you, Fuzzi. I hadn't identified Villoresi in the last photo.

The cars are Auto Union #3 driven by Kautz; #2 of Rudolf Hasse and the Mercedes #5 of Walter Baumer, who was standing-in for Caracciola (illness).

Kautz was an interesting driver. One of only a few who raced for both German teams in the 1934-39 period (Fagioli also comes to mind). In 1937 he was placed third in the Monaco GP in a W125 but thereafter he struggled to get starts. Sadly lost his life in the 1948 Swiss GP.

Here's one for the Mercedes fans - the "office" of Baumer's W154.

Tony

Posted Image