Photo

Can anyone help me to indentify this Formula Ford photograph?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Henk A. Hazelaar

Henk A. Hazelaar

• 189 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 20:35

Dear Friends,

Can anyone help me to identify this Formula Ford photograph?

Where and when?
Which cars?
Witch drivers?

Posted Image

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Henk A. Hazelaar

Edited by Henk A. Hazelaar, 20 July 2010 - 20:37.

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 20:39

well, it's obviously Brands Hatch, I'd hazard a guess of 1970??

#3 Henk A. Hazelaar

Henk A. Hazelaar

• 189 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 20:54

Dear Friends,

Can anyone help me to identify this Formula Ford photograph?

Where and when?
Which cars?
Witch drivers?

Posted Image

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Henk A. Hazelaar

#4 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 369 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 21:49

It is either 1971 or 1972, Richard Croucher is in the middle of the front row driving his???? (I have forgotten the make but it was built in Colchester) and possibly Tim Brise on pole position. The car nearest the camera is probably being driven by someone from the Maidstone/Ashford area as sponsor John Liddell ran a caravan dealership in the town and was also a member of Maidstone & Mid Kent Motor club and very good friend of mum and dad.

Sorry I cannot help out more, but Richard Croucher is still in the Maidstone area and serviced and repaired many of my cars in the eighties and nineties.

Glyn

Edited by glyn parham, 20 July 2010 - 21:51.

#5 Thundersports

Thundersports

• 612 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 23:37

Crouchers was still there in 2000 however I haven't been there since so I don't know if it's still trading.

#6 Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

• 384 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:17

I think the two cars nearest the camera are Merlyn Mk17s.

I'm pretty sure that the driver nearest the camera is Rob Wicken

Edited by Chris Townsend, 21 July 2010 - 09:39.

#7 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 369 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:19

Crouchers was still there in 2000 however I haven't been there since so I don't know if it's still trading.

Still trading as of last Tuesday. :wave:

I'm pretty sure that the driver nearest the camera is Rob Wicken

Althought the helmet colour is right, Robs car was dark blue with an orange stripe down the middle and also had "Maidstone Service Station" written on the cockpit sides so I discounted him when writing up my original post. BTW Maidstone Service Station was less than half a mile from the Crouchers garage in Milton Street and was one of George Wickens properties from his business empire.

Glyn

#8 Chris Townsend

Chris Townsend

• 384 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:38

Still trading as of last Tuesday. :wave:

Althought the helmet colour is right, Robs car was dark blue with an orange stripe down the middle and also had "Maidstone Service Station" written on the cockpit sides so I discounted him when writing up my original post. BTW Maidstone Service Station was less than half a mile from the Crouchers garage in Milton Street and was one of George Wickens properties from his business empire.

Glyn

You're right Glyn, and also, if it's 1971 - which it has to be if that's Brise's Elden Mk8 on pole - then Rob was using a Mistrale.
I'm puzzled by Croucher carrying Piper stickers on his car, since he ran a Rowland engine early in the 1971 season.

#9 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 369 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:59

Hi Chris.

I had forgotten that Rob had a Mistrale in '71 and it probably is him nearest the camera and as you say, prossibly Tim Brise in his Elden on pole position. Richard probably needed the money as IIRC it was his first season of racing and took sponsorship money from Piper!

Is this an early or late season photo at Brands, it certainly doesn't look too warm judging by the clothes the officials are wearing.

Glyn