Photo

1964 Cannon GT

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 cur10k

cur10k

• 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:36

I'm trying to find out more of the early history of a 1964 Cannon GT which I have purchased.

It was built by Mike Cannon better known for the Cannon trials cars popular in the 60s.

It may have been driven by Colin Taylor at Brands Castle Coombe & Thruxton & maybe also by John Alexander

There is also a suggestion that in ran in the Motoring News GT Championship & may also have appeared at Oulton, Rufforth, Croft & Ingliston.

Subsequently it was hillclimbed before falling into disrepair.

The car has Lotus 23B & 26R components & it presently fitted with a precrossflow Ford engine

Anyone know of the car?

Thanks

Advertisement

#2 bill p

bill p

• 697 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 13:36

I'm trying to find out more of the early history of a 1964 Cannon GT which I have purchased.

It was built by Mike Cannon better known for the Cannon trials cars popular in the 60s.

The car has Lotus 23B & 26R components & it presently fitted with a precrossflow Ford engine

How about some photos of your purchase??

#3 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 16:15

I assume it is the pale blue one?

lovely unusual car. I'm very envious. I looked at it a couple of years ago but not enough pennies in the pot!

Graham Gauld was trying to track down some info here for the last owner. don't think any info really came to light though

#4 cur10k

cur10k

• 14 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 22:34

I assume it is the pale blue one?

lovely unusual car. I'm very envious. I looked at it a couple of years ago but not enough pennies in the pot!

Graham Gauld was trying to track down some info here for the last owner. don't think any info really came to light though

Yes its the same car. See pics!

Posted Image

#5 Derwent Motorsport

Derwent Motorsport

• 858 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:29

Looks like it's in the company of some other interesting cars!

I've quite a collections of Ingliston, Croft and Rufforth programmes but I can't remember this car competing. It's so unusual that I think I would have remembered.

#6 cur10k

cur10k

• 14 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 20:14

Been trawling through some old Autosport mags. Found references to the car at;

Brands in Sept 1966

Oulton Park in March 1967 Class winner

Lydden Hill in March 1967 3rd in class

Also now have a photo of it racing at Snetterton -- see below

Still looking for more!

Posted Image

Edited by cur10k, 24 July 2010 - 20:58.

#7 cur10k

cur10k

• 14 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 15:42

Been trawling through some old Autosport mags. Found references to the car at;

Brands in Sept 1966

Oulton Park in March 1967 Class winner

Lydden Hill in March 1967 3rd in class

Also now have a photo of it racing at Snetterton -- see below

Still looking for more!

Posted Image

The car seems to have been used in grass track racing in the 70s. I now have a pic & the car carries a sticker from the Kentish Border Motor Club. I've done a google search for that club with no success.

Anyone know it it still exists?

#8 CoulthardD

CoulthardD

• 210 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 16:45

The car seems to have been used in grass track racing in the 70s. I now have a pic & the car carries a sticker from the Kentish Border Motor Club. I've done a google search for that club with no success. Anyone know it it still exists?

They are not listed in the Blue Book.

DC

#9 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 20:54

DC

Reference my own enquiries I had been told Mike Cannon had gone to Australia and I contacted Tim Schenken who is high up in CAMS but he could not come up with anyone who knew him.

#10 cur10k

cur10k

• 14 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 23:31

Reference my own enquiries I had been told Mike Cannon had gone to Australia and I contacted Tim Schenken who is high up in CAMS but he could not come up with anyone who knew him.

Thanks Graham. I'm now in touch with the 2nd owner of the car & he & another contact have assured me that Mike Cannon died in Australia around 4/5 years ago.

Hoping to get more info shortly

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:40

Originally posted by Graham Gauld
.....I contacted Tim Schenken who is high up in CAMS but he could not come up with anyone who knew him.

Well, that would be a pretty good reason why...

#12 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:09

Posts 6 and 10 show a Fred Scatley photo (copyright Ferret Fotographics) Taken i think at Snetterton. Im sure Mike Cannon died several years ago.

#13 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:21

It seems that the problem you are going to have is that it competed after the Appendix K cut off therefore making it ineligible for FIA races. However dont dispair as this would probably be a very competive car for HSCC HRS where Ginetta's do very well

#14 cur10k

cur10k

• 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:41

Recent pic, rebuilt & repainted in Cannon duck egg blue!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 Nick Wa

Nick Wa

• 186 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 19:28

I seem to recall Mike's wife was Australian.

#16 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 21:54

DC

If a grasstrack club, they wouldn't be. The blazers of Colnbrook fortunately don't control all UK motorsport. I think NASA was also not active in the south east then (or now?) and the governing body was SEGTA (South East Grass Track Association).

#17 cur10k

cur10k

• 14 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 23:00

If a grasstrack club, they wouldn't be. The blazers of Colnbrook fortunately don't control all UK motorsport. I think NASA was also not active in the south east then (or now?) and the governing body was SEGTA (South East Grass Track Association).

Thanks, couldn't find them on Google. Do they still operate?

I'm now in touch with the 2nd owner & hopeful he can provide more info.

#18 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:50

Which series are you looking to compete in?

#19 glyn parham

glyn parham

• 369 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:09

The car seems to have been used in grass track racing in the 70s. I now have a pic & the car carries a sticker from the Kentish Border Motor Club. I've done a google search for that club with no success.

Anyone know it it still exists?

I remember Kentish Borders car Club in the sixties & early seventies and always assumed that they folded or merged with another club by the early eightie as that is the last time I heard of them. I believe they were similar to Borough 19, Bexley Light Car Club and mabny other motor clubs in Kent and organised rallies, driving tests etc. Perhaps Sterling can put his memory to good use and recall more about them.

Could the John Alexander who drove the car be Iain Alexander who lived in Tonbridge and also raced Divas until emigrating to Australia in the mid sixties? Just a long shot that could well be very, very wrong.

Glyn

Advertisement

#20 cur10k

cur10k

• 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:56

Which series are you looking to compete in?

Simon, I'm based in Scotland & presently compete on hills & sprints with a 1961 Turner BMC.

My intention would be to use the Cannon next year on the Scottish & Northern Championships with maybe a venture to the vintage meetings at Harewood & Barbon.

I had thought of getting the Cannon to the Bo ness Hillclimb Revival this year but I have the Turner entered & getting two cars there will be too difficult!

Bob

#21 cur10k

cur10k

• 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 08:58

I remember Kentish Borders car Club in the sixties & early seventies and always assumed that they folded or merged with another club by the early eightie as that is the last time I heard of them. I believe they were similar to Borough 19, Bexley Light Car Club and mabny other motor clubs in Kent and organised rallies, driving tests etc. Perhaps Sterling can put his memory to good use and recall more about them.

Could the John Alexander who drove the car be Iain Alexander who lived in Tonbridge and also raced Divas until emigrating to Australia in the mid sixties? Just a long shot that could well be very, very wrong.

Glyn

Glyn, I'll enquire of the 2nd owner re John/ Iain Alexander & let you know. Thanks

#22 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:53

Simon, I'm based in Scotland & presently compete on hills & sprints with a 1961 Turner BMC.

My intention would be to use the Cannon next year on the Scottish & Northern Championships with maybe a venture to the vintage meetings at Harewood & Barbon.

I had thought of getting the Cannon to the Bo ness Hillclimb Revival this year but I have the Turner entered & getting two cars there will be too difficult!

Bob

as a former Turner owner you have my vote! Think about HSCC - they have some northern rounds.....

#23 cur10k

cur10k

• 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:11

as a former Turner owner you have my vote! Think about HSCC - they have some northern rounds.....

Simon, you might like this pic -- taken at Bo ness last year;

Posted Image

#24 simon drabble

simon drabble

• 554 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:43

Simon, you might like this pic -- taken at Bo ness last year;

Posted Image

nice I had a 1650 just like that which was out at the Classic this weekend. What engine are you running?

#25 cur10k

cur10k

• 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:52

nice I had a 1650 just like that which was out at the Classic this weekend. What engine are you running?

Simon, its an A series out at 1410cc built by Peter May, Runs on split 45s & puts out about 135brake.

#26 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,572 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 18:56

Thanks, couldn't find them on Google. Do they still operate?
I'm now in touch with the 2nd owner & hopeful he can provide more info.

Autograss in Kent now seems to be under the NASA national umbrella.
Thinking about dates, I'm not sure "grasstrack" had the "respectable" form it has now in those days. Maybe it was Autocross (an MSA controlled discipline) it was used in then?
If it was autograss, an older member from this club might possibly be able to help:
http://www.invictakentautograss.co.uk/

#27 cur10k

cur10k

• 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 19:37

Autograss in Kent now seems to be under the NASA national umbrella.
Thinking about dates, I'm not sure "grasstrack" had the "respectable" form it has now in those days. Maybe it was Autocross (an MSA controlled discipline) it was used in then?
If it was autograss, an older member from this club might possibly be able to help:
http://www.invictakentautograss.co.uk/

Thanks RS2000. I've now emailed that club

#28 cur10k

cur10k

• 14 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 20:08

Glyn

Glyn,

Emailed 2nd owner. He does not recognise the names John or Iain Alexander. I'll keep digging!

#29 Mistron

Mistron

• 936 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 18:19

getting two cars there will be too difficult!

Bob

I'll drive it there for you.......

:wave: