Photo

1962,1963 and 1964

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lindsky8

lindsky8

• 5 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 10:49

:cool: My name is Peter Field, I raced sidecars back in 1962, my first race was at Brands Hatch as first reserve, but the only race we could get into was the Handicap at the end of the day, it was a national event, we were up against great riders like, Chris Vincent, Bill Boddice, Owen greenwood,Fred Hanks etc etc, we were first away in the race and won the race by 39 seconds, the second place went to Bill Boddice, there was a mention in the Motorcycle News about how did we the novice`s burn off the champions, but we did. My question for other people on this Forum, is, how can I find out the date we won at Brands in 1962, and how can I find some photos of us at that race, also from the 1963 and 1964 Isle Of Man TT races. Many thanks for your time. Peter Field

Advertisement

#2 GD66

GD66

• 2,237 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:24

Your best bet would be to whack your query into the Motorcycle Racing Nostalgia forum, in the 1949 to 1968 thread, and then sit back and wait....

#3 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 14:15

I'm sure the moderators will move this thread to the motorbike forum, but to answer your question...

In 1962 there were national motorbike meetings at Brands Hatch on 1 April, 20 April, 23 September and 14 October, so it could be any one of those. There was also an international meeting on Whit Monday, 11 June.

Edited by Rob Semmeling, 23 July 2010 - 14:17.

#4 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 17:03

Your profile does not list your location, but the National Library at Colindale, N London holds copies of all publications, so you could make a trip of it and trawl through their archives. Was there such a thing as Motorcycle News in those days? If so there is likely to be an archive at the owners/publisher, one assumes, like with Haymarket etc.
Roger Lund

#5 wenoopy

wenoopy

• 648 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:50

Almost 50 years ago, I bought a couple of copies of the "Motor Cycling (with Scooter Weekly) Sports Yearbook" dated 1960 and 1961 which covered the 1959 and 1960 bike racing seasons.

These contained results of the various World Championships and as far as the UK was concerned, results of the International, National and Restricted meetings held. If these continued for the next few years then they could have the information you want. I have no idea whether "Motor Cycling" magazine still exists (not that I have looked it up), but someone out there will know.

I imagine the actual magazines would have had more detailed results than the Yearbooks, which only listed winners and fastest laps for some meetings.

Happy Hunting.