Elfin Type 100 monocoque

• Please log in to reply
933 replies to this topic

#1 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:16

img041s_2.jpg

The Elfin Mono had a fairly short career really, but they got a fair run outside of South Australia, Jack Hunnam helped get them into Victoria and even Allan Grice had one in NSW.
As mentioned elsewhere, Alf Costanzo made his go pretty well, Tony Maw also drove one.

I suspect these three could be John Walker's, Garrie Cooper's and Bob Jane's?

068.1.jpg

Any early shots of Monos would be good, they were such pretty cars.

Did Bob Jane run a busy schedule with his?

Further edit:

John Lemm captures me in Elfin Mono frame #MC6653 at the 2019 Mallala ANZAC Historics

B9-E2-CAF9-A7-E8-44-CB-9131-F9624-D346-F

Edited by SJ Lambert, 10 July 2019 - 01:57.

Advertisement

#2 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 17:21

If that's the Jane car it's during the Dave Collins ownership, I would think...

Just doesn't look right for Jane's period. I'd think it's more likely another car.

#3 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:44

If that's the Jane car it's during the Dave Collins ownership, I would think...

Just doesn't look right for Jane's period. I'd think it's more likely another car.

069.1.jpg

070.1.jpg

Car 52 - John Walker, Car 21 Garrie Cooper, don't know about car 17........ maybe it's Stan Keen......

Edited by SJ Lambert, 20 May 2018 - 05:58.

#4 ellrosso

ellrosso

• 1,616 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:13

Spencer, we have a colour shot of Jane in his Mono at Longford on the site - doesn't show the whole car, cuts off at the roll bar but still worth a look. Type Elfin Mono into the Advanced search will bring it up

#5 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:24

Spencer, we have a colour shot of Jane in his Mono at Longford on the site - doesn't show the whole car, cuts off at the roll bar but still worth a look. Type Elfin Mono into the Advanced search will bring it up

Nice one, would have to have been one of the first Monos to make it to a Tassie race.

Edited by SJ Lambert, 02 August 2011 - 13:07.

#6 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:49

Another one of Garrie Cooper's Monos - not sure which one, or when/where...............

theboss.jpg

061.1.jpg

Edited by SJ Lambert, 20 May 2018 - 06:17.

#7 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 23:17

At that early stage, and for a number of years, the Jane car was the same colour as his Jaguar... off white with Shell stripes from front to rear...

Looking back through the magazines, I think I can deduce that the first racing appearance of the Mono was at Calder on August 30, 1964. That was in the hands of Jack Hunnam, whose car was also of a lighter colour. By October there was a further three cars running (Mallala Gold Star race) while Hunnam was a no-show:

Garrie Cooper
Bill Pile
Andy Brown

And it seems that this was when Mel McEwin placed his order for one, which came out in light blue. He was to race it at the Easter Mallala, while it seems that John Walker had his first outing at the June 14 Mallala. Pile had crashed his car at the Easter meeting and wasn't present in June, but his car was a dark colour and seems to have a stripe in the indistinct picture in RCN.

I haven't found any photos at all of Brown's car. There is also Ron Tonkin, said to have bought a car as a kit at an early stage in the Mono's history.

I recall that McEwin's fitment of a twin-cam made a real difference to the speed of the Monos. He did this about March '65 and immediately started racing all over the country, giving Leo Geoghegan a fright at Oran Park once and generally looking pretty quick. He also raced it for some time with a 'repaired' nose that looked rough as bags.

Ian Cook seems to have joined the list by the October 24 Calder, while at the next Mallala (December? January '66?) Cooper turned out in his Mk 2 Mono for the first time. Dean Clough is also noted as being in a Mono at this meeting and I would assume that (?) Reade is also in a Mono as he was dicing with Walker.

Ian Cook was in a Mono by the January '66 Calder, then Malcolm Ramsay had a downdraught headed car running at the Easter Mallala and I see mention of Cec Deslandes in the May 22 Calder report. His name I'd seen before, but no mention of what car he'd run, so he might have had it a while.

Jane's car was suddenly red at the August 28 Calder, but with a stripe around the nose.

Dean Rainsford appears in an Elfin at Sandown's Gold Star later in the year, it seems to be fast enough (beside Hunnam on the grid to possibly be a Mono), Cook had the Cooper car for December 28's Mallala and by January 17 '67 Clive Millis was hunting gold successfully in Cooks earlier car. The report notes that Dean Clough was also in a new Mono.

Through all of this I'm struggling to find a pic of a car with the unique mirror mounts of the No. 17 car in the lead picture.

#8 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 00:02

By October there was a further three cars running (Mallala Gold Star race) while Hunnam was a no-show:

Garrie Cooper
Bill Pile
Andy Brown

I have Hunnam as being there, but not starting in the Gold Star race due to engine maladies. My records also show Brown was in his Catalina, but Granton Harrison had his Mono in the race.

#9 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:13

At that early stage, and for a number of years, the Jane car was the same colour as his Jaguar... off white with Shell stripes from front to rear...

Looking back through the magazines, I think I can deduce that the first racing appearance of the Mono was at Calder on August 30, 1964. That was in the hands of Jack Hunnam, whose car was also of a lighter colour. By October there was a further three cars running (Mallala Gold Star race) while Hunnam was a no-show:

Garrie Cooper
Bill Pile
Andy Brown

And it seems that this was when Mel McEwin placed his order for one, which came out in light blue. He was to race it at the Easter Mallala, while it seems that John Walker had his first outing at the June 14 Mallala. Pile had crashed his car at the Easter meeting and wasn't present in June, but his car was a dark colour and seems to have a stripe in the indistinct picture in RCN.

I haven't found any photos at all of Brown's car. There is also Ron Tonkin, said to have bought a car as a kit at an early stage in the Mono's history.

I recall that McEwin's fitment of a twin-cam made a real difference to the speed of the Monos. He did this about March '65 and immediately started racing all over the country, giving Leo Geoghegan a fright at Oran Park once and generally looking pretty quick. He also raced it for some time with a 'repaired' nose that looked rough as bags.

Ian Cook seems to have joined the list by the October 24 Calder, while at the next Mallala (December? January '66?) Cooper turned out in his Mk 2 Mono for the first time. Dean Clough is also noted as being in a Mono at this meeting and I would assume that (?) Reade is also in a Mono as he was dicing with Walker.

Ian Cook was in a Mono by the January '66 Calder, then Malcolm Ramsay had a downdraught headed car running at the Easter Mallala and I see mention of Cec Deslandes in the May 22 Calder report. His name I'd seen before, but no mention of what car he'd run, so he might have had it a while.

Jane's car was suddenly red at the August 28 Calder, but with a stripe around the nose.

Dean Rainsford appears in an Elfin at Sandown's Gold Star later in the year, it seems to be fast enough (beside Hunnam on the grid to possibly be a Mono), Cook had the Cooper car for December 28's Mallala and by January 17 '67 Clive Millis was hunting gold successfully in Cooks earlier car. The report notes that Dean Clough was also in a new Mono.

Through all of this I'm struggling to find a pic of a car with the unique mirror mounts of the No. 17 car in the lead picture.

A little of subject but Cec Deslandes also raced midgets in speedway, though I think 70s.
Spencer, that pic looks like Mallala though I could be well wrong.

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:25

Originally posted by David Shaw
I have Hunnam as being there, but not starting in the Gold Star race due to engine maladies. My records also show Brown was in his Catalina, but Granton Harrison had his Mono in the race.

Interesting, David...

The RCN results specifically list the three as being in Monos. Of course, Harrison was further back and unlisted... and yes, Hunnam was a non-starter because of problems, whether his problems were before he left Melbourne (I think that's the case) or after arriving at Mallala isn't stated.

Another Mono owner had a Lancia V4 installed, this was a Sydney car, blue as I recall. Allan Grice has been mentioned previously, but I think he was a bit later, while I don't remember any Monos racing in Queensland. And, of course, there was Alfie.

They were very quick at Calder, undoubtedly helped by their light weight and slim build, and it's nice to see one today in the hands of our good friend (and TNF member) Brian Lear.

#11 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 07:50

Looking further, I'm reminded that Kel Munyard had a Mono in Sydney, probably the Col Green car?

And Len Goodwin had the Elfin Lancia at one time. But he didn't put it together, it was the McGuire's car which had Brian Page driving it... for some reason I was thinking Noel Riley fitted in there...

Edited by Ray Bell, 28 July 2010 - 07:52.

#12 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:05

Looking further, I'm reminded that Kel Munyard had a Mono in Sydney, probably the Col Green car?

And Len Goodwin had the Elfin Lancia at one time. But he didn't put it together, it was the McGuire's car which had Brian Page driving it... for some reason I was thinking Noel Riley fitted in there...

The lead post shot was in all likliehood taken sometime in the 12 months beyond Feb '67 as I reckon the Walker car is green and gold and that car 21 was Garrie's last Mono. After earlier reckoning car #17 was a Mk2, it appears to have inboard front shocks and out board rears - so maybe it's an updated Mk1 ...

Brian's Elfin register has the Jim McGuire Lancia V4 Mono going to Len Goodwin in 68 with Len fitting a Ford 1100 when he got it. (Tha Lancia Mono having started life as the first of Jack Hunnam's Monos, a Ford 1100, I think).

Edited by SJ Lambert, 30 January 2012 - 08:42.

#13 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:14

Here it lists Andy Brown as Elfin 1500 which theoretically could be anything, but as they have made the distinction with the other Monos, I assumed it meant a Catalina.
Posted Image

I don't have Andy Brown in a Mono until he owned M6548, the Clisby V6 car, which debuted Easter 65. But the version of the register that I have also lists Harrison getting his in December 64.

#14 fredeuce

fredeuce

• 407 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:22

Another one of Garrie Cooper's Monos - not sure which one, or when/where...............

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This shot to me appears to be from in pits at Mallala. The view is generally toward the start line in a roughly SE direction. The features in the back ground appear to be the old "box" that was incorporated into the begining of pitlane. The appearance of the (numerous) internal fences within the pit area also accords with my recollection of them.

#15 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:08

Clem Smith has similar pics in the old pit area that is why i too thought it was Mallala. Plus it sort of looks like a military base, which the place was ofcourse.

#16 kaydee

kaydee

• 362 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:14

Here are some color pics of the Andy Brown - Clisby V6 mono taken at the Elfin factory just prior to delivery...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:42

Awesome photos as always kaydee :up:

#18 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:51

Here are some color pics of the Andy Brown - Clisby V6 mono taken at the Elfin factory just prior to delivery...

Kaydee, did this car ever manage to get going "on song"? I know it had plenty of troubles, I don't suppose it even put in "a few good laps" on occasion?

#19 pallas1970

pallas1970

• 271 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 20:55

Being completely biased (i have garrie's Mk1 mono) i think they were one of the prettiest cars of the era. From the results they seem to have been competitive from 1964 for around 5 years which isn't bad going.

A few photos of stan keen? (M6549) at mallala late 60s? that have come to light from andy ford.

Posted Image

Posted Image

and here is mine alongside brian lear's immaculate Mk2
Posted Image

any more mono photos please add them or email - the clisby mono shots are amazing (anyone know who took them?)

cheers, james

Advertisement

#20 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 21:06

kaydee is the famous Kevin Drage...

He has posted many fabulous pics on this forum.

#21 2Bob

2Bob

• 580 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 22:10

any more mono photos please add them or email

My Mono (ex Tighe / Minogue), with 1100cc Ford F3, in early 1970s:
Posted Image

Wish I still had it!

#22 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 00:11

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That looks a big mass of engine in the back of that mono. I like the gearchange rod over the motor!! and the drag style pipes,,, with mufflers. That mono was only to be a test bed for the engine though wasnt it? Not a serious race effort?

#23 john medley

john medley

• 1,442 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 06:20

Kevin....once again thanks for the wonderful photos. What a beast! I seem to recall a 1930s Shelsley Special its constructors called "Dorcas" because it was Full of Good Works. The Elfin Clisby would surely qualify

TI have no doubt that others would know more, but the only story I have heard re its running in anger was from Brian Rawlings of Bulant Motors who drove his Bulant Clubman across Australia, working briefly at Elfin when he passed through Adelaide. There (said Brian)they had already been troubled by the balance problem on the dyno and happily handed that task to the young bloke from Sydney. Brian told of the long piece of string he prudently used( from behind a solid brick wall) to open the throttle of the Clisby -- until the thing went BANG, and flattened the sides of the body(or did it have small sponsons cradling the engine?)

#24 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:40

That looks a big mass of engine in the back of that mono. I like the gearchange rod over the motor!! and the drag style pipes,,, with mufflers. That mono was only to be a test bed for the engine though wasnt it? Not a serious race effort?

I suspect it was serious enough, just not successful, unfortunately. Suffice to say, there were a few unresolved problems. The mass wouldn't have contained much/any cast iron at least.......

Here's another one of Garrie's Monos. I think it would have been assembled near the time of the Clisby car, probably Clisby, one for Mal Ramsay and then this one. ( I think it's the one Brian Lear now owns).

Posted Image

Edited by SJ Lambert, 02 August 2011 - 13:13.

#25 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 11:09

Kaydee, were you and Ron standing next to each other when these shots were taken?

Cheers James

Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 kaydee

kaydee

• 362 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 00:29

Quote from James -
"Kaydee, were you and Ron standing next to each other when these shots were taken?"

I guess we must have been - as that's my Morris 1100 in the background of one of Ron's pictures....

Kevin

#27 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,664 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 06:27

I had a Mono for a number of years a mark 1 #6441 powered by a twin cam with a 36hp VW box,sweet little car to drive.Lot of fun on the Hills.

#28 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,766 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 07:56

Quote from James -
"Kaydee, were you and Ron standing next to each other when these shots were taken?"

I guess we must have been - as that's my Morris 1100 in the background of one of Ron's pictures....

Kevin

A man of excellent taste in cars. :wave:

#29 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:45

A man of excellent taste in cars. :wave:

Mine was an 1100 S - the same mustard colour as my Cooper "S" - Camino Gold, I think was the official description. (Though to be honest, the "1100" was an automatic from memory that I bought to get at it's crank......)

Here's another pretty example of a Mono, even though it's not from an early production run.

227.jpg

Edited by SJ Lambert, 20 May 2018 - 06:08.

#30 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:49

Mine was an 1100 S - the same mustard colour as my Cooper "S" - Camino Gold, I think was the official description. (Though to be honest, the "1100" was an automatic from memory that I bought to get at it's crank......)

Here's another pretty example of a Mono, even though it's not from an early production run.

Posted Image

But who is and where is it?

#31 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:58

But who is and where is it?

There are clues in the shot!!!

#32 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 03:33

Two things have me intrigued with that car...

The 'B' alongside the number and the tail pipe.

#33 eldougo

eldougo

• 9,329 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 05:29

The photo was taken in the USofA,state unknown.It reminds me of Jim Clark .LOVELY pic

#34 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:47

Originally posted by eldougo
The photo was taken in the US of A, state unknown. It reminds me of Jim Clark. LOVELY pic

Sure is a nice pic...

And I guess the US location would explain the 'B' alongside the number, that size car being in 'Formula B' there.

Still no wiser on the owner/driver. In fact, I didn't know any Monos went to the US.

#35 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:50

The photo was taken in the USofA,state unknown.It reminds me of Jim Clark .LOVELY pic

Yep, not sure exactly which one myself, but on or near north eastern seaboard, I reckon, probably around 68, 69.

Edited by SJ Lambert, 22 December 2010 - 11:12.

#36 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,848 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:50

James,

Purely speculative, but could that US photo have some relationship to a US driver entering the 1966 Gold Star/Australian 1.5litre Championship at Mallala - heats 3 & 4 respectively? Why I ask is that there's a "#11 P Hotchkiss (USA) Elfin Mono 1498 Blue" listed in the event programme.

In fact there's 9 Elfin Monos out of an entry list of 13.

Stephen

#37 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 13:32

James,

Purely speculative, but could that US photo have some relationship to a US driver entering the 1966 Gold Star/Australian 1.5litre Championship at Mallala - heats 3 & 4 respectively? Why I ask is that there's a "#11 P Hotchkiss (USA) Elfin Mono 1498 Blue" listed in the event programme.

In fact there's 9 Elfin Monos out of an entry list of 13.

Stephen

You've hit the nail on the head Stephen!!! It's that car once it's gone Stateside.

I don't know where the car debuted, but am theorising that it had a run or two before going to the Farm in December.

#38 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 19:51

Phil Hotchkiss was entered in MC6653, a Mk2C with a Twin Cam, at the Hordern Trophy meeting December 4th 1966 but did not start. He did practice though, 13th and last, nearly 9 seconds off Boddenberg who was 12th on the grid and over 24 seconds slower than Gardner on pole.

#39 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:31

Phil Hotchkiss was entered in MC6653, a Mk2C with a Twin Cam, at the Hordern Trophy meeting December 4th 1966 but did not start. He did practice though, 13th and last, nearly 9 seconds off Boddenberg who was 12th on the grid and over 24 seconds slower than Gardner on pole.

Now, just need the driver in that shot, it's not Phil!

Any one got shots of Phil driving it or any shots of the car at all in Australia?

Advertisement

#40 cooper997

cooper997

• 3,848 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:34

You've hit the nail on the head Stephen!!! It's that car once it's gone Stateside.

I don't know where the car debuted, but am theorising that it had a run or two before going to the Farm in December.

James,

Thanks for letting me know I was on the right track with Hotchkiss. Going by the report in RCN Nov 66 for the 10/10/66 Mallala, he doesn't rate a mention so must have missed this meeting. In fact it would appear that from 9 Monos listed in the 13 entries in the programme, only 10 cars started. Six of them Monos.

Also, going back to the Garrie Cooper Mono photo in post 6 at Mallala, that was probably taken at the 10/10/66 meeting. Garrie is listed as #2 in the programme.

Stephen

#41 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,734 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:43

Now, just need the driver in that shot, it's not Phil!

Any one got shots of Phil driving it or any shots of the car at all in Australia?

Charles Krueger (USA) took over ownership in 1968, so it may be him.

#42 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:47

Originally posted by gray chandler
Posted Image

Found this one in my collection. Taken at Adelaide International Raceway. Owner Unknown. Year unknown.[/b]

I think we can safely assume this is a Group O racer at an Historic event...

The padding behind the driver's head should also give a clue to the owner, not many would have had that. Looks like it's a regular Cortina engine, though it might be a Corolla. Nevertheless, it's not wearing slicks and the pic's post-'79 (Commodore beside the Clubman) so that would give some clues.

#43 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 20:57

Charles Krueger (USA) took over ownership in 1968, so it may be him.

That's him! Charles (Chuck) Krueger and Phil were both Upstate New York residents, making Watkins Glen this car's home track. It also ran in Phil's hands at Cumberland and with Chuck at Lime Rock. Neither Phil nor Chuck are with us any longer, but Chuck's son, also Charles, has allowed us to reunite this car with it's long time stablemate, the first of the Elfin 300's.

So the odds are that if this shot wasn't taken in NY, then it would have been in a surrounding state. I lived in Upstate NY for a year or so a while back and it has the feel of quite possibly being somewhere near the Finger Lakes to me.

227.jpg

Edited by SJ Lambert, 20 May 2018 - 06:10.

#44 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,036 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 05:10

The padding behind the driver's head should also give a clue to the owner, not many would have had that. Looks like it's a regular Cortina engine, though it might be a Corolla. Nevertheless, it's not wearing slicks and the pic's post-'79 (Commodore beside the Clubman) so that would give some clues.

AIR has not been used for 15 years so if historic it was a late model historic. As Mondial is now

#45 Lola5000

Lola5000

• 1,664 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 09:01

Looking at that car and its condition and that of the clubman next to it,I'd say its Hoinvilles car.

#46 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:25

That's him! Charles (Chuck) Krueger and Phil were both Upstate New York residents, making Watkins Glen this car's home track. It also ran in Phil's hands at Cumberland and with Chuck at Lime Rock. Neither Phil nor Chuck are with us any longer, but Chuck's son, also Charles, has allowed us to reunite this car with it's long time stablemate, the first of the Elfin 300's.

So the odds are that if this shot wasn't taken in NY, then it would have been in a surrounding state. I lived in Upstate NY for a year or so a while back and it has the feel of quite possibly being somewhere near the Finger Lakes to me.

The car still has it's original drive train and running gear, is still shod with Firestone tyres, probably the ones in the posted picture

F 5.50/8.10 - 13

R 6.00/10.5 - 13

Edited by SJ Lambert, 25 December 2010 - 10:28.

#47 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:50

You're saying it didn't see much use?

Neither did the 300, of course, which kind of makes them something of time capsules...

#48 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 20:05

You're saying it didn't see much use?

Neither did the 300, of course, which kind of makes them something of time capsules...

It may have gone to as few as half a dozen or eight meetings.
Yes, feels very much like the time capsule has been reopened.

#49 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 79,955 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 21:06

No doubt about it, you blokes are doing a great job...

A shame I haven't got to see the things, but I'll make a point of it some time.

Does the Mono have the swept back wishbone or the later rear suspension?

#50 SJ Lambert

SJ Lambert

• 5,326 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 21:35

No doubt about it, you blokes are doing a great job...

A shame I haven't got to see the things, but I'll make a point of it some time.

Does the Mono have the swept back wishbone or the later rear suspension?

The later type, it is the 14th of 19 in total, examples 15,16 and 17 were type 2D variants, this one is one of two type 2C variants, the other, built for John Walker, is pictured near the start of this thread. The last couple of Monos, 18 and 19, were fitted with 1100 cc engines, Bob Mills' car (the 18th) was assembled sometime in 69 and has type 600 suspension from new.

The Hotchkiss Mono has inboard fronts and Cosworth Mk XVI engine and Mk V Hewland box. Not sure if all the 2D variants had out board front suspension, Garrie's personal car, MD 6755 certainly had outboard front and rear suspension.