Photo

Any news on when the RS500 touring cars are coming back out to play

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 20:53

I have heard plenty of rumours, but no hard facts on when the RS500s are going to start competing again as historics.

Do any of you gents know who, if anybody is organising a championship, and whether they will have to be originals like the current Australian races for these cars, or whether they will allow continuation cars.

Is it that they have to reach 25 years old before they can compete again?

appreciate any info

cheers

PAUL

Advertisement

#2 David Shaw

David Shaw

• 1,724 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:37

I have heard plenty of rumours, but no hard facts on when the RS500s are going to start competing again as historics.

Do any of you gents know who, if anybody is organising a championship, and whether they will have to be originals like the current Australian races for these cars, or whether they will allow continuation cars.

Is it that they have to reach 25 years old before they can compete again?

appreciate any info

cheers

PAUL

Already up and running against M3s, Godzilla etc. Check down towards the bottom of this photo gallery from Phillip Island, ex-Moffat ANZ car.
http://www.vhrr.com/...ogen/index.html

#3 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:51

I know the aussies are leading the way with this, but cannot wait for the UK and europe to get them racing again and would love to know thats its being organised rather than just talked about over here.

I am in email contact with a number of owners and they seem as much in the dark about it as me, they have also heard the rumours but not any concrete plans.

#4 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,538 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 19:29

perhaps you should get stuck in and organise something, Paul??

#5 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 579 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 22:43

In all fairness a few European based RS500s - and other group A vehichles - has been out to play in various series in Europe. An Eggenberger car in Bastos painting has been taking part in the German Youngtimer Trophy, while an ex-DTM Ringshausen car has surfaced in Britain, running against 1990s Super Touring cars among others. But no proper European Group A scene like what's present in Australia.

Jesper

#6 PAUL S

PAUL S

• 201 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:16

In all fairness a few European based RS500s - and other group A vehichles - has been out to play in various series in Europe. An Eggenberger car in Bastos painting has been taking part in the German Youngtimer Trophy, while an ex-DTM Ringshausen car has surfaced in Britain, running against 1990s Super Touring cars among others. But no proper European Group A scene like what's present in Australia.

Jesper

I have seen that the LUI car is out and about in the UK, the Ringhausen is owned by Ali in Scotland I believe - would love to see some pics of the Bastos car as it is now, I know where 2 of the possible other Bastos cars are but neither is in running order. A few of the 500s do come out, like Andy Lloyds Shell car, and the Andy Brass Rouse, and more recently the Brooklyn car, but not seen any of them together since the RS day at Donnington a few years ago now.

Its not looking as if anything is going to happen any time soon which is a pity, and prices are rising on them rapidly both as road and race cars so they may become to expensive to use in anger soon.

As for me organising it, unfortunately I am just an enthusiast with nothing like the resources needed to sort such a series.

#7 Jesper O. Hansen

Jesper O. Hansen

• 579 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:55

There ought to be a few Japanese RS500s as well. During 1988-1989 there were about a handfull of regular RS500s running in this highly competitive championship. When Godzilla premiered in 1990, the RS500 was the other choice of car in the top division, unless you were TOM'S committed. By 1991 teams converted from the RS500 to the Nissan Skyline GT-R or bailet out, as the post Gulf war economy materialised and general obmission to that Datsun!

Jesper