Mike Salmon XK120

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 James Fraser

James Fraser

• 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:05

Dear all
This is my first post here so please go easy on me! I currently own Mike Salmon's old XK120 and am trying to research some of its history and wondered if anyone can help me. I have spoken to Mike and a couple of other previous owners and so far have managed to piece together the following:

Mike took delivery of chassis number S661110 in 1953 from new (it was his 21st birthday present) while he was an apprentice with Jaguar. It was orginally registered as J14974, a Jersey registration, but this changed to PCR379 in 1955. He campaigned the car from 1954 onwards beginning with hill climb events such as Bo'ness (in June and September of 54) and Rest and be Thankful. He also competed at Brunton in 1955 and I believe had his first circuit race at Crimond (14 May 1955). In 1956 he was fairly busy with the car competing at Goodwood (17 March), Oulton Park (9 June and 22 Sept), Aintree (23 June), Brighton Speed Trails (1 Sept), Mallory Park (16 Sept) and Silverstone (29 Sept). He also took the car to MIRA where Norman Dewis did a fast lap in it. In 1957 he purchased a C-type and sold the XK in May of that year to a George Hilditch (a Coventry scrapyard merchant). Apparently Mr Hilditch crashed after 1 week (into a gate I think) which required a new front wing and door. The car was sold to a Ralph Ward from Leicester in January of 1960 and then went to David Winstanley in Yorkshire in 1973. I have spoken to David and he recalls having the car restored and fitting a D-Type engine at this time. The next owner was Richard Goode who kept the car until 2008 when it went to Zwakman Motors. At this point the D engine was removed and the car was sold to me.

I would love to hear from anyone who has further information or stories relating to the car, particularly regarding its hill climbing and racing history and from its time with Mr Hilditch and Mr Ward. I know there are a couple of photographs of the car in various Jaguar books and Andrew Whyte did a brief article in a magazine (Jaguar Marque?) but so far I haven't had much luck in tracking down prints that I can buy or get copies of - if anyone has any ,or know who might, please let me know!

Hope this is of interest and thanks in advance for any help!

James

Advertisement

#2 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:43

Dear all
This is my first post here so please go easy on me! I currently own Mike Salmon's old XK120 and am trying to research some of its history and wondered if anyone can help me. I have spoken to Mike and a couple of other previous owners and so far have managed to piece together the following:

Mike took delivery of chassis number S661110 in 1953 from new (it was his 21st birthday present) while he was an apprentice with Jaguar. It was orginally registered as J14974, a Jersey registration, but this changed to PCR379 in 1955. He campaigned the car from 1954 onwards beginning with hill climb events such as Bo'ness (in June and September of 54) and Rest and be Thankful. He also competed at Brunton in 1955 and I believe had his first circuit race at Crimond (14 May 1955). In 1956 he was fairly busy with the car competing at Goodwood (17 March), Oulton Park (9 June and 22 Sept), Aintree (23 June), Brighton Speed Trails (1 Sept), Mallory Park (16 Sept) and Silverstone (29 Sept). He also took the car to MIRA where Norman Dewis did a fast lap in it. In 1957 he purchased a C-type and sold the XK in May of that year to a George Hilditch (a Coventry scrapyard merchant). Apparently Mr Hilditch crashed after 1 week (into a gate I think) which required a new front wing and door. The car was sold to a Ralph Ward from Leicester in January of 1960 and then went to David Winstanley in Yorkshire in 1973. I have spoken to David and he recalls having the car restored and fitting a D-Type engine at this time. The next owner was Richard Goode who kept the car until 2008 when it went to Zwakman Motors. At this point the D engine was removed and the car was sold to me.

I would love to hear from anyone who has further information or stories relating to the car, particularly regarding its hill climbing and racing history and from its time with Mr Hilditch and Mr Ward. I know there are a couple of photographs of the car in various Jaguar books and Andrew Whyte did a brief article in a magazine (Jaguar Marque?) but so far I haven't had much luck in tracking down prints that I can buy or get copies of - if anyone has any ,or know who might, please let me know!

Hope this is of interest and thanks in advance for any help!

James

Shortly after I joined Motor World magazine as sports editor in January 1955 I attended either an Edinburgh University Motor Club driving test meeting at Drem Airfield. It was around February 28 as there was snow on the ground. Michael arrived with his cream coloured XK120 and proceeded to have a ball braking hard and sliding across finishing lines on full opposite lock spraying snow everywhere. At the time I think he was an apprentice salesman with Rossleighs the Edinburgh distributors for Jaguar though he might have moved to their Aberdeen branch by then. Ian Scott Watson was there with his DKW and a very young Jim Clark. Michael Salmon won no prizes!

#3 James Fraser

James Fraser

• 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:55

Shortly after I joined Motor World magazine as sports editor in January 1955 I attended either an Edinburgh University Motor Club driving test meeting at Drem Airfield. It was around February 28 as there was snow on the ground. Michael arrived with his cream coloured XK120 and proceeded to have a ball braking hard and sliding across finishing lines on full opposite lock spraying snow everywhere. At the time I think he was an apprentice salesman with Rossleighs the Edinburgh distributors for Jaguar though he might have moved to their Aberdeen branch by then. Ian Scott Watson was there with his DKW and a very young Jim Clark. Michael Salmon won no prizes!

Dear Graham
What a fantastic story, many thanks for this!
James

#4 cur10k

cur10k

• 14 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:55

According to the book 'Bo ness Speed Hill Climb' by Kenny Baird Salmon won his class in June '54 with a time of 41.03 & again in September with a time of 42.29.

The Bo ness Hillclimb Revival people would love to see the car back!

This years event is on Sept 11 & 12.

Check for more info;

http://www.bonesshillclimb.org.uk/

#5 James Fraser

James Fraser

• 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:24

According to the book 'Bo ness Speed Hill Climb' by Kenny Baird Salmon won his class in June '54 with a time of 41.03 & again in September with a time of 42.29.

The Bo ness Hillclimb Revival people would love to see the car back!

This years event is on Sept 11 & 12.

Check for more info;

http://www.bonesshillclimb.org.uk/

Dear cur10k
Thanks for those results, great to see he was a class winner. I've been in touch with Kenny who is trying to see if they have any photos of Mike at Bo'ness - will have to hope he gets lucky. Sadly this year I'm busy on the 11th but will be putting the event in my diary for 2011!
James

#6 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,702 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 23:39

You might find some race results on http://wsrp.ic.cz/ under "British national races" and "British International races"

#7 James Fraser

James Fraser

• 7 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:15

You might find some race results on http://wsrp.ic.cz/ under "British national races" and "British International races"

Thanks D-Type, Mike certainly appears in some of these but is missing from others that I know he took part in - I guess either he retired or finished down the order.