Photo

Onofre Marimon

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 14:08

31.7.1954. Onofre Marimon. Nurburgring.. R.I.P.

Advertisement

#2 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 14:40

Another of those tantalising 'what might have been' mysteries. I assume that, had he survived, he and Behra would have led the Maserati team in 1955 to - who knows what?

RIP Onofre.

#3 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 14:56

Another of those tantalising 'what might have been' mysteries. I assume that, had he survived, he and Behra would have led the Maserati team in 1955 to - who knows what?

RIP Onofre.

Thank you for your thoughts Tim. Onofre was the first of my lost heroes, and on my birthday too!. Sadly, he was to be the first of many, but they are all remembered. Only two weeks before, I had seen Onofre drive a cracking race to finish third in the British Grand Prix in the works 250F. I often wonder what might have been.

#4 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 17:34

... but they are all remembered.

I suspect that most of us here have certain sad dates written on our hearts, like Calais on that of Queen Mary.

On a happier note - Happy Birthday, Eric. :clap:

#5 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 22:10

One of the great lost talents, IMHO.

#6 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 309 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 22:43

One of the great lost talents, IMHO.

Last week I drove thru his birth town, Cosquín, in Cordoba province, Argentina, and took note that a street of the town had his name. As you know, his father Domingo was the winner of the great Buenos Aires-Caracas 1948 road race, as a team mate of Juan Manuel Fangio. Domingo was at Nurburgring that awful day.

General Peron gave a speech during Onofre's funeral.

Onofre's death even destroyed the will of Froilan Gonzalez to keep on his career. So, yoo do not only have to ask what might have happen with him and Behra in Maserati in 1955, but even with Froilan as the number 1 Ferrari driver.

#7 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,607 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 22:50

Onofre's death even destroyed the will of Froilan Gonzalez to keep on his career. So, yoo do not only have to ask what might have happen with him and Behra in Maserati in 1955, but even with Froilan as the number 1 Ferrari driver.

Yes indeed - very true. How different the 1955 season might have been if these two great drivers (plus Ascari) had been there to take the fight to the Mercedes team.

#8 Eric Dunsdon

Eric Dunsdon

• 1,021 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 16:01

Last week I drove thru his birth town, Cosquín, in Cordoba province, Argentina, and took note that a street of the town had his name. As you know, his father Domingo was the winner of the great Buenos Aires-Caracas 1948 road race, as a team mate of Juan Manuel Fangio. Domingo was at Nurburgring that awful day.

Domingo Marimon seems to have been quite a character. Being an undertaker by profession he is said to have smuggled bodies dressed so as to look like his co-driver across State lines while competing in the great Argentinian road races of the 1940's in order to avoid paying taxes!.

#9 ensign14

ensign14

• 62,006 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 16:14

Domingo Marimon seems to have been quite a character. Being an undertaker by profession he is said to have smuggled bodies dressed so as to look like his co-driver across State lines while competing in the great Argentinian road races of the 1940's in order to avoid paying taxes!.

:lol: He would have been very useful to know for the carpool lanes as well.