Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:45

ooooops he did it again :eek:

Advertisement

#752 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,312 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:46

love it, the Old Schumacher is back

No problem giving him a penalty - although it would be nice to have some consistencies with the stewards - I've seen similar a number of times this year with no punishment, I've seen a driving weaving down pit straight blocking, with no punishment, I've seen a driver race a safety car - with a lame "punishment".

So much for better stewarding...

#753 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:46

I don't think Mercedes will like it.

#754 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,922 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:48

Just for comparison, Vettel-Webber Turkey was high speed just as tight and contact was made and Vettel narrowly missed collecting Button, tough high speed racing and no penalty.

Just for the record, today was an example of tough racing, and I understand the penalty, but I also applaud the skills of those two at high speed, unlike Vettel and Webber.

Edited by F1Champion, 01 August 2010 - 19:49.

#755 d246

d246

• 557 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:48

Thought Norbert made a bit of a fool of himself defending MS after the race. For that reason alone Merc will be pissed.

#756 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:49

No problem giving him a penalty - although it would be nice to have some consistencies with the stewards - I've seen similar a number of times this year with no punishment, I've seen a driving weaving down pit straight blocking, with no punishment, I've seen a driver race a safety car - with a lame "punishment".

So much for better stewarding...

The "old" schumacher is a correct statement. All the bad qualities are back without the good ones like competitive speed.

#757 JVi

JVi

• 36 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:50

Shumacher left so much room for Barichello to get by. So much room that any of his fans standing next to the wall with a hard on would not have been touched.
http://www.youtube.c...layer_embedded#!

#758 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:51

Just for comparison, Vettel-Webber Turkey was high speed just as tight and contact was made and Vettel narrowly missed collecting Button, tough high speed racing and no penalty.

No wall and it was Vettel who caused the accident by turning into Webber who did leave him room to stay on the track. MS did not leave RB room who was technically off the track when he was forced over the white line and definately off the track when he was run into the pit lane.

#759 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

LOL what a joke, preaching here that Mercedes didn't give a damn about Macca cheating, lying and copping a $100 million penalty but about a racing incident they will be upset?

Laughable dude, really :rolleyes: :lol:

Advertisement

#760 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 387 posts

What? So you hate a driver pushing another one off the track but then you say it is RB's fault for trying a pass when it was MS who basically aimed his car at RB. Making the other guy go the long way around is understandable. RB probably anticipated he would be run to the whiteline...but not over it or too the wall. IF the excuse is "you know how mS is" then everyone can adopt that tactic and there will only be no on track passes or accidents as everyone can do anything to defend a position without consiquence.....what kind of racing is that?

Ms has the right to defend. Had he left 1 car width plus a little to the white line then no problems. Running RB almost into the wall and then into the pit lane exit is over the top.

No, RB isn't at fault when he tried to pass MS. But RB is at fault in the process of passing Schumacher. He can try to overtake, but he should realize especially when almost the whole car is outside the track he should back off instead off adding more speed and making the whole thing more dangerous.
Again, the problem is with the official/stewards. They should punish this kind of behavior more consistently. The severity of the penalty might be different, but drivers that push other drivers must be penalized whether the one being pushed choose to go off track or backing off. Because the officiating isn't consistent, we see again and again that this kind of stunt (the Schumi one) happen in F1. If the car behind you already have his nose beside your car, then you should give up that space.

edit: Basically what I'm saying is that RB is adding fuel to the fire. The Schumi move was dangerous and unnecessary... RB persistence also making this incident even more dangerous and also unnecessary. Of course if I'm cheering for RB, I would approve that move since I don't trust the stewards to give a penalty for Schumi (especially if RB didn't make that move) based on their history of inconsistency.

Edited by Rurouni, 01 August 2010 - 19:59.

#761 pRy

pRy

• 10,845 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:52

Mika is a typical Finn in that respect. He keeps his personal opinion of M Schumacher private as he did with all his team-mates including Senna. M Schumacher liked him because he kept it quiet but Mika probably thinks he is an idiot like everybody else.

Not sure about the present day but they were good friends during their active years in F1, on and off the track. They had a mutual respect for each other.

#762 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

I think that's the worst move I've seen from Schumacher. Jerez and Rascasse were dodgy but hardly as dangerous. As a big fan, I was very disappointed.

#763 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

This come back is working out really well. Not. Schumacher is getting press for all the wrong reasons, how long will Merc let this continue?

Edited by halifaxf1fan, 01 August 2010 - 19:55.

#764 as65p

as65p

• 17,156 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:54

Maybe Schumi didn't realise how little space was between the white line and the wall. Are you not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt?

No driver, not even Schumi, can know exactly how much space there is around a car next to him, especially with the high cockpit sides.

Well, that is indeed the only thing that might be brought up in defense of MS, that he misjudged just how close he was pushing Barrichello at the very end of the wall.

But at the same time it's pretty damning in another way, because it means while he didn't intend it to be so close, he apparently can't judge things accurate enough anymore to be trusted out on track. Like with his speed, he himself probably thinks he's as good at it as he used to be, but he might simply delude himself there.

Edited by as65p, 01 August 2010 - 19:56.

#765 Sammyosammy

Sammyosammy

• 1,496 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:55

The "old" schumacher is a correct statement. All the bad qualities are back without the good ones like competitive speed.

+1

Younger copy would have been fast enough to do "damon" or "jacques". This one just missed it slightly.. :wave:

#766 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:56

No, RB isn't at fault when he tried to pass MS. But RB is at fault in the process of passing Schumacher. He can try to overtake, but he should realize especially when almost the whole car is outside the track he should back off instead off adding more speed and making the whole thing more dangerous.
Again, the problem is with the official/stewards. They should punish this kind of behavior more consistently. The severity of the penalty might be different, but drivers that push other drivers must be penalized whether the one being pushed choose to go off track or backing off. Because the officiating isn't consistent, we see again and again that this kind of stunt (the Schumi one) happen in F1. If the car behind you already have his nose beside your car, then you should give up that space.

Look at the video : http://www.youtube.c...layer_embedded#

was completely along side when MS pushed him off. You start saying the guy passing has to back off when the other guy pushes him off the track with no responsibilty to the guy being passed to give at least a car's width of room then no one will ever pass anyone. it is NOT fair driving. You have to give room to the guy when he gets along side. You can make him go the long way around, try and put him of the side of the track that may give you an advantage. blatently pushing him off the track is not part of the game.

#767 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:57

:lol: Pot calling kettle

You really see no difference in the tricky conditions in corners with standing water and limited visablity vs a bright sunny day on a long straight with maximum dry grip?

Says it all about your objectivity.

Apparently you didnt see the links. Montreal 98 was dry as a bone. Mr gpda wurz dove inside a corner where there was no room, then switched to the grass, and then torpedoed 5 cars out of the race. DC took both himself and that same Wurz out of the 2007 Melbourne race with a very dangerous overtaking manouvre. Wurz also thougt it was wise to overtake the safety car and then brake test it with his race car, causing a collision. In wet weather youre supposed to take the changed grip levels of a track into account. If you dont, you can become a danger to other competitors. Dc, Wurz and brundle have shown that on occasion, they also lacked the insight and caused considerable carnage. What DC caused at Spa 98 will probably never be beaten. If I then hear these gents scream blue murder about shumis move on Rubens, wich, incidentally, did not result in a contact, it just makes me laugh.
And if you then decide in all your wisdom that the only design of that move, was to hurt Rubens and put him in a hospital you are deluding yourself. Schumachers move was bad, I didnt like it at all but lets not pretend this is something new in F1.

#768 SkorbiF1

SkorbiF1

• 1,208 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:58

Schumacher gave just enough room to RB.
Tough racing, nice overtaking.

How much room should you give to your opponents?
a car width+10cm? +50cm? +1m? +5m?

IMO, if you can fit your car through, (as RB did) there is enough room.

Edited by SkorbiF1, 01 August 2010 - 19:58.

#769 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 19:58

Same here, take no prisoners and if you try to overtake me be prepared for a fight.

Loved it, he just left enough space to scare the bejezus out of Barrichello but not to crash. :up:

#770 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,929 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:02

Given his typical starting position, the penalty means that he may be starting 25th out of what, 24 cars? LOL

Except there are only 24 cars on the grid......

#771 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:03

Except there are only 24 cars on the grid......

You didn't get the sarcasm, did you? :rotfl: :rotfl:

#772 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Then translate that uncertainity in extra distance with the wall, otherwise it's just negligent.

Yes but this whole thing is about degrees, isn't it?

You say "extra distance". How do you NOT know that Schumi factored in extra safety margin? Even Schumi knows that you cannot reliably repeat what he did today on a regular basis. The margins are so tight. He could never plan with any precision to put Boobens that close to the wall so there is no way it is intentional.

It could be negligent, yes. But all this happens in the space of a few seconds at 150+ mph. Everything happens so quickly. Detailed analysis after the event doesn't serve any purpose and in many ways is irrelevant.

#773 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Thought Norbert made a bit of a fool of himself defending MS after the race. For that reason alone Merc will be pissed.

Yep, Norby was working hard to defend the indefensible. I don't see why Merc should carry on with Schumi tbh, having their brand part of his ignominious fall.

I can't see they're getting any of what they signed up for. A Mercedes starting with the HRT's next race...

#774 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:04

Apparently you didnt see the links. Montreal 98 was dry as a bone. Mr gpda wurz dove inside a corner where there was no room, then switched to the grass, and then torpedoed 5 cars out of the race. DC took both himself and that same Wurz out of the 2007 Melbourne race with a very dangerous overtaking manouvre. Wurz also thougt it was wise to overtake the safety car and then brake test it with his race car, causing a collision. In wet weather youre supposed to take the changed grip levels of a track into account. If you dont, you can become a danger to other competitors. Dc, Wurz and brundle have shown that on occasion, they also lacked the insight and caused considerable carnage. What DC caused at Spa 98 will probably never be beaten. If I then hear these gents scream blue murder about shumis move on Rubens, wich, incidentally, did not result in a contact, it just makes me laugh.
And if you then decide in all your wisdom that the only design of that move, was to hurt Rubens and put him in a hospital you are deluding yourself. Schumachers move was bad, I didnt like it at all but lets not pretend this is something new in F1.

I did not say it was to put him in the hostpital but it could have been the result. Not sure you linked the right links as all but the Wurz clip of him in a jr formula (the safety car one) are in the wet. The Wurz example was 1) him in a Jr formula...not really the same expectation of professional driving behavior as F1 where there is more experience and expertise, don't you agree? and 2) he was not "brake testing" as much as he miscalculated the difference in braking between his race car and the road car (ie safety car).

The DC pass was him locking up his brakes in the wet...it happens. DC lost his car IN THE WET on the FIRST CORNER (ie unknown grip levels etc) while going wheel to wheel with another car....racing incident.

Stop trying to rationalize today or equate it to normal incidents..there is no excuse for today.

#775 man

man

• 1,301 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:05

Ahh the playstation generation...no respect for human life.

#776 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:06

It’s time that driving standards in F1 were clamped down on. The best racing happens where drivers give each other space on the track – see the McLaren drivers at Turkey.

They touched.

#777 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:06

Yes but this whole thing is about degrees, isn't it?

You say "extra distance". How do you NOT know that Schumi factored in extra safety margin? Even Schumi knows that you cannot reliably repeat what he did today on a regular basis. The margins are so tight. He could never plan with any precision to put Boobens that close to the wall so there is no way it is intentional.

It could be negligent, yes. But all this happens in the space of a few seconds at 150+ mph. Everything happens so quickly. Detailed analysis after the event doesn't serve any purpose and in many ways is irrelevant.

He probably forgot there was no order for RB to stay behind and was confused when RB did not back off. :rotfl:

MS's pride caused the incident today...He could not take the fact RB was going to beat him in an inferior car.

#778 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:07

They touched.

Barely because they were on the edge. They were not close to causing a big accident and they did their best to leave room. Clearly not close to today no matter how hard you try and justify it.

#779 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:08

Playstation generation who have no real racing experience other than what is on line where no one gets hurt.

Advertisement

#780 Rurouni

Rurouni

• 387 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:09

Look at the video : http://www.youtube.c...layer_embedded#

was completely along side when MS pushed him off. You start saying the guy passing has to back off when the other guy pushes him off the track with no responsibilty to the guy being passed to give at least a car's width of room then no one will ever pass anyone. it is NOT fair driving. You have to give room to the guy when he gets along side. You can make him go the long way around, try and put him of the side of the track that may give you an advantage. blatently pushing him off the track is not part of the game.

When you look the onboard video of RB, you'll see the moment the whole RB car off the track he still behind MS by a tiny margin. He definitely should back off. Yes, I agree with your opinion, but again, my point is that RB making the whole incident more dangerous. In my view, RB can make this whole thing less dangerous by backing off.. but no, he choose to overtake at a dangerous position. MS definitely at fault but RB should be wiser.

#781 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:13

Schumi interview with German TV. Classic Schumi :D

I've gotta say, if you're a Schumi fan then today was great!

Edited by rolf123, 01 August 2010 - 20:13.

#782 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:13

When you look the onboard video of RB, you'll see the moment the whole RB car off the track he still behind MS by a tiny margin. He definitely should back off. Yes, I agree with your opinion, but again, my point is that RB making the whole incident more dangerous. In my view, RB can make this whole thing less dangerous by backing off.. but no, he choose to overtake at a dangerous position. MS definitely at fault but RB should be wiser.

At that point with the wheels so close, RB backing off could have caused their wheels to touch if there was just a little bit of interlocking of the wheels which could have happened if the cars just moved a little at that point as they were so close anyway. At that point, RB was committed and it is usually better to see it through than back off as that is when bad things usually happen.

The first cause in this event is MS being a d*ck.

#783 baddog

baddog

• 23,300 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:14

Not surprised, I thought 5 was more likely than 10 but meh. He shouldnt have done it any more than Vettel should have done what he did last week.

Rights or wrongs of this case aside, I think the stewards are adopting startlingly inconsistent policies this year.. cautions and cups of tea for the front runners (even when they risked mechanics lives in their childish tiff), penalties for others. I thought F1 was supposed to be better than that..

#784 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:15

Schumi interview with German TV. Classic Schumi :D

I've gotta say, if you're a Schumi fan then today was great!

Only the deluded fans who like total douche bags.

#785 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,492 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:16

This come back is working out really well.

Sometimes it feels as if he came back to give the old and new enemies a chance to pay him back. Like Rubens today. He used to be the one who beat everyone, but now everyone likes to beat him more than anyone. At least behind the front :up:

Edited by Bianchimont, 01 August 2010 - 20:16.

#786 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Not surprised, I thought 5 was more likely than 10 but meh. He shouldnt have done it any more than Vettel should have done what he did last week.

Rights or wrongs of this case aside, I think the stewards are adopting startlingly inconsistent policies this year.. cautions and cups of tea for the front runners (even when they risked mechanics lives in their childish tiff), penalties for others. I thought F1 was supposed to be better than that..

Actually agree with the inconsistencies....although this penatly was pretty straightforward. Also agree that there is no good explaination for the safety car other than to bunch the field.

#787 minardifans

minardifans

• 242 posts

#788 as65p

as65p

• 17,156 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:17

He probably forgot there was no order for RB to stay behind and was confused when RB did not back off. :rotfl:

MS's pride caused the incident today...He could not take the fact RB was going to beat him in an inferior car.

And that's what adds insult to injury, in his first career MS would at least make the move work and keep the other guy behind. Nowadays even if he pulls his maniac best, they still fly past... :p

#789 billfenner1967

billfenner1967

• 129 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:19

36 race ban for Schumi. That was the worst thing I have seen in F1, maybe ever.

Today's your first time watching F1, then?

#790 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:19

Big Schumi of the playstation generation? :rolleyes:

Just hard racing and a lot of macca/english fanboys running havoc because this is big Schumi, Legarditis I call it. :lol:
It's all a non issue, Michael is sitting looking over lake Geneva/Leman with a glass of Chardonnay or a cigar looking forward to a 4 week holiday and confident that the next one with fresh tires to close up to him will think twice about overtaking him.

Happy holidays big Schumi :wave:

#791 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:23

Just hard racing and a lot of macca/english fanboys running havoc because this is big Schumi, Legarditis I call it. :lol:
It's all a non issue, Michael is sitting looking over lake Geneva/Leman with a glass of Chardonnay or a cigar looking forward to a 4 week holiday and confident that the next one with fresh tires to close up to him will think twice about overtaking him.

RB is not the best overtaker by any stretch....IF he can pull it off then most can....BTW, hasn't MS been overtaken for position by a pretty bad Sauber driven by a rookie, a Force India TWICE and been left for dead by a driver that recieved a vote for being the prettiest girl in the pit lane.

Yep, they will all tremble when they come up to pass the silver car being driven by the guy in the red helmet. :eek: :drunk: :rolleyes:

#792 as65p

as65p

• 17,156 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:24

There is no big Schumi around anymore, don't be fooled by the evil dwarf version of 2010.

#793 farsailor

farsailor

• 245 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:24

good thing no one exited the pit at that moment.

#794 pRy

pRy

• 10,845 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:28

RB is not the best overtaker by any stretch....IF he can pull it off then most can....BTW, hasn't MS been overtaken for position by a pretty bad Sauber driven by a rookie, a Force India TWICE and been left for dead by a driver that recieved a vote for being the prettiest girl in the pit lane.

Well if being passed by a Sauber is an indication of being out of your depth, Alonso is in trouble. (Kobayashi @ Valencia).

BBC mentioned during lap 1 that Schumacher has made up 24 positions on Lap 1's this year.. not too bad really.

#795 man

man

• 1,301 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:29

The next one to overtake him will probably be a Redbull I guess as he is being lapped in lowly position at Spa. Yea m Schumacher certainly has a better dwelling than all of us could dream of... Hopefully that is of some consolation for him and his fanatics. Don't think it is though ;)

#796 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:31

Well if being passed by a Sauber is an indication of being out of your depth, Alonso is in trouble. (Kobayashi @ Valencia).

BBC mentioned during lap 1 that Schumacher has made up 24 positions on Lap 1's this year.. not too bad really.

Alonso and Ferrari were in trouble in a couple of races this year. Alonso has 2 wins, several podiums and has been fairly consistently faster than his teammate....how's that battle with Rosberg going for MS?

Edited by jimm, 01 August 2010 - 20:35.

#797 man

man

• 1,301 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:33

Playstaion generation refers to smart folks like yourself... M Schumacher should know better for a man his age...he is hurting, Mark my words... Lucky for him he isn't hurting physically but if he continues his idiotic performances of 2010 he will eventually do physical harm to himself... While making up the numbers.

#798 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:49

M Schumacher should know better for a man his age...he is hurting,

Dream on, big Schumi is fine and doing what he clearly likes driving an F1 car and drivers likes Barrichello should just be prepared for a fight if they want to overtake him.
Now Rubens has always been a bit of a whiner and today proved that again.

So cheers big Schumi, thanks for the excitement and I'll light a Cuban cigar too :lol:  ;)

#799 jimpo

jimpo

• 277 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:49

been mentioned several times....does not justify the move today.

it was a failed attempt at sarcasm...

Advertisement

#800 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:50

it was a failed attempt at sarcasm...

Sorry....hard to tell sometimes :up: