Photo

Barrichello/Schumacher Incident

• Please log in to reply
1903 replies to this topic

#801 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:53

Shumacher left so much room for Barichello to get by. So much room that any of his fans standing next to the wall with a hard on would not have been touched.
http://www.youtube.c...layer_embedded#!

Wow, looking at this video in slow mo like that, I think as screwed up as the move was and tight to the wall, I feel the worst part comes after they clear the wall, as MS keeps the squeeze on even though Rubens is completely inside the pit lane. Even worst as when Rubens has started to head back into the track, Schumacher still has not backed off from the squeeze and had to react just in time as Rubens hops over the ditch, Rubens's car could have hopped the wrong way right into Schumacher.

Scary incident, really.

Edited by Birelman, 01 August 2010 - 20:53.

Advertisement

#802 man

man

• 1,301 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 20:58

Dream on, big Schumi is fine and doing what he clearly likes driving an F1 car and drivers likes Barrichello should just be prepared for a fight if they want to overtake him.
Now Rubens has always been a bit of a whiner and today proved that again.

So cheers big Schumi, thanks for the excitement and I'll light a Cuban cigar too :lol:  ;)

Big Schumi?? Corina, is that you?;)

Fanatics are too fanatical these days ;)

#803 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:02

You guys don't seem to understand that it's not about a technical regulation that he might, or not have broken. It's about the danger involved in what he did. It's dangerous driving, which is, unfortunately for you, Schumacher, and his fans, in the eye of the beholder.

MS chose a line and stuck to it. He had to jink left when RB ran out of road to avoid RB hitting him.

RB is the one who caused the danger. Plenty of road to the left for RB, which MS was moving away from the entire time.

That MS got any penalty for this is complete baloney in my eyes.

#804 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:04

MS chose a line and stuck to it. He had to jink left when RB ran out of road to avoid RB hitting him.

RB is the one who caused the danger. Plenty of road to the left for RB, which MS was moving away from the entire time.

Veering at a diagnal driving the other guy off the track is NOT picking a line. MS's wheels are on the white line which determines the edge of the track HOW the hell do you say that he left RB any road when his car is on the edge of the track?

#805 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:06

Well, your eyes don't see very well. Schumacher might have chosen a path, but, not a line.

This could have been a fatal accident today, we're all very fortunate it wasn't. How happy would you be today if your quasi-retired hero had killed an aging Barichello today with nothing at stake? 10th place? that would have been very sad to see somebody who has already done his racing die for no reason.

With the comments you have made today, You're either blind or immature.

Edited by Birelman, 01 August 2010 - 21:08.

#806 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:08

Wow, looking at this video in slow mo like that, I think as screwed up as the move was and tight to the wall, I feel the worst part comes after they clear the wall, as MS keeps the squeeze on even though Rubens is completely inside the pit lane. Even worst as when Rubens has started to head back into the track, Schumacher still has not backed off from the squeeze and had to react just in time as Rubens hops over the ditch, Rubens's car could have hopped the wrong way right into Schumacher.

Scary incident, really.

Yup, still can't believe RB did that... very dangerous of him to do that...

(no, I'm not being sarcastic...)

#807 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:08

Of course it is but who cares, big Schumi lost out on 1 point but made a point to all those on track today. :lol:

Well done Mike and thanks for the whining Rubens :up:

#808 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:09

Yup, still can't believe RB did that... very dangerous of him to do that...

(no, I'm not being sarcastic...)

Oh really Mr. Genius? What would you have him do while there? Oooops, sorry, how dare he try to go back into the track!

#809 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:10

Veering at a diagnal driving the other guy off the track is NOT picking a line. MS's wheels are on the white line which determines the edge of the track HOW the hell do you say that he left RB any road when his car is on the edge of the track?

He did not veer.

After the corner, he chose a line that went slowly right and stuck to it the entire time.

If RB had went left, he had all the track he could ever want to do with whatever he wished.

For reasons I can't explain, RB chose to go right, and to continue going right, regardless of what path MS was taking.

#810 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:13

Oh really Mr. Genius? What would you have him do while there? Oooops, sorry, how dare he try to go back into the track!

If you leave the track, it's your own responsibility to retake the track safely.

Racing, regardless of F1 or other series, has always been that way.

RB just wasn't going to back off.

#811 man

man

• 1,301 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:13

Of course it is but who cares, big Schumi lost out on 1 point but made a point to all those on track today. :lol:

The point being not only is he slow, not only is he outclassed by his teammate, not only does he fail to adapt but he is a reckless thug on track and is passable even on a track like the Hungaroring in an inferior car?

Yes, your man big Schumi certainly made a point today;) 10/10 for blind fanatism. Kids these days ;)

#812 Monad

Monad

• 399 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:14

The problem with Schumi was and always will be one. He thinks that part of racing is putting the other guy off the track. He basically many times likes to give his opponents three choices. Ether go off the track to avoid me, don't get intimated by my car coming at you and collide with me or don't try moves at me.

He doesn't realize that those choices don't mean racing. He thinks that not letting the other guy having enough space to keep his car on the track is part of racing. Mika's comment "he wouldn't have give me space" and him replaying "yes" describes that he thinks thats alright. Unfortunately so do many of his fans.

Yet from the day he retired we have seen many drivers battle on the track and yet they mostly managed to do there battles inside the track. Why can't he act like them? What is it with him?

Edited by Monad, 01 August 2010 - 21:17.

#813 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Big Schumi of the playstation generation? :rolleyes:

Just hard racing and a lot of macca/english fanboys running havoc because this is big Schumi, Legarditis I call it. :lol:
It's all a non issue, Michael is sitting looking over lake Geneva/Leman with a glass of Chardonnay or a cigar looking forward to a 4 week holiday and confident that the next one with fresh tires to close up to him will think twice about overtaking him.

Happy holidays big Schumi :wave:

you know someone has nothing to cling on when they start bragging about another man's wealth. :rotfl: :rotfl: get a life dude

#814 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

He did not veer.

After the corner, he chose a line that went slowly right and stuck to it the entire time.

If RB had went left, he had all the track he could ever want to do with whatever he wished.

For reasons I can't explain, RB chose to go right, and to continue going right, regardless of what path MS was taking.

he went to the middl and when he saw RB went to the right incresed the rate at which he went to the right.

You said MS gave room, the video shows his right side wheels on the white line or the edge of the track demonstrating he clearly did not. Both you and MS are wrong.

#815 SirSaltire

SirSaltire

• 781 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:15

You couldn't be more wrong. MS used to get away with crazy moves like today but no more. He can't even keep a straight face when he gives his lame excuse. What a prat.

#816 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:17

The problem with Schumi was and always will be one. He thinks that part of racing is putting the other guy off the track. He basically many times likes to give his opponents three choices. Ether go off the track to avoid me, don't get intimated by my car coming at you and collide with me or don't try moves at me.

He doesn't realize that those choices don't mean racing. He thinks that not letting the other guy having enough space to keep his car on the track is part of racing. Mika's comment about he wouldn't give me space and him saying yes describes that he thinks thats alright. Unfortunately so do many of his fans.

Yet from the day he retired we have seen many drivers battle on the track and yet they mostly managed to do there battles inside the track. Why can't he act like them? What is it with him?

He is a douche bag.

#817 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:18

If you leave the track, it's your own responsibility to retake the track safely.

Racing, regardless of F1 or other series, has always been that way.

RB just wasn't going to back off.

Riiiiiight This wasn't exactly a normal situation, now, was it? he was deliberately pushed off the track and was supposed to come back in. Yes, he has the right to race also, Schumacher doesn't own the track. You obviously don't understand much about racing. I guess all you do is watch the races on TV and read the rulebook and think you're some kind of expert. It takes a bit more than that, and sometimes a little bit of common sense, and definately some experience on the matter.

Edited by Birelman, 01 August 2010 - 21:23.

#818 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:26

This could have been a fatal accident today, we're all very fortunate it wasn't. How happy would you be today if your quasi-retired hero had killed an aging Barichello today with nothing at stake? 10th place? that would have been very sad to see somebody who has already done his racing die for no reason.

1) MS is not my hero, nor did I even say I am a fan.

2) MS would not have "killed" RB.

3) Racing is a dangerous sport. RB accepts that as a driver, and after April 29th, 1994, when he decided to return to the cockpit, it should have been crystal clear to him.

4) If RB wants to drive dangerously and kill himself, who am I to judge? If he wants to go out in some blaze of glory and die in the cockpit, more power to him. I'll accept his wishes and support him if he desires that.

JUST DON'T GO INJURING OTHER DRIVERS TO ACCOMPLISH THIS.

He could have injured MS. That I would find unacceptable.

Patrese had a bad accident at Portugal in 1992. Why on Earth he was following Berger towards the pit lane when he was trying to pass him, I can't explain that one either. But Berger certainly wasn't trying to kill him, now was he expecting Patrese to follow him...

If RB had gone left, no one would be discussing any of this. RB would have made a simple pass. RB chose to go right when MS was going right.

Why? Who cares... RB made the pass in an obviously remarkable fashion, as we're still discussing it now...

I bet next time he goes left, though...

#819 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:30

Riiiiiight This wasn't exactly a normal situation, now, was it?

Nope, it wasn't. The normal thing for a passing racing driver to do when they see their opponent go right is to go left.

RB also going right is not normal at all.

I cannot believe it, you and I actually agree on something. Kudos to you, sir!

You have restored my faith in these forums and fellow fans...

Advertisement

#820 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:30

3) Racing is a dangerous sport. RB accepts that as a driver, and after April 29th, 1994, when he decided to return to the cockpit, it should have been crystal clear to him.

4) If RB wants to drive dangerously and kill himself, who am I to judge? If he wants to go out in some blaze of glory and die in the cockpit, more power to him. I'll accept his wishes and support him if he desires that.

Patrese had a bad accident at Portugal in 1992. Why on Earth he was following Berger towards the pit lane when he was trying to pass him, I can't explain that one either. But Berger certainly wasn't trying to kill him, now was he expecting Patrese to follow him...

If RB had gone left, no one would be discussing any of this. RB would have made a simple pass. RB chose to go right when MS was going right.

Why? Who cares... RB made the pass in an obviously remarkable fashion, as we're still discussing it now...

Patrese had A RUN ON BERGER because he was slow coming out of the corner and went to the inside at the same time Berger decided to pit...something he could not predict. You do realize the car making the pass cannot just not fly over the car ahead and has to use the track to get by right? :rolleyes: (although Patrese looked like he tried to fly over).

I thiink you are hopeless or just like arguing a indefensable position.

#821 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:31

Nope, it wasn't. The normal thing for a passing racing driver to do when they see their opponent go right is to go left.

RB also going right is not normal at all.

I cannot believe it, you and I actually agree on something. Kudos to you, sir!

You have restored my faith in these forums and fellow fans...

Really...no one goes to the INSIDE to make a pass do they? Crap you have no concept of motor racing.

#822 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:33

Did you have something to drink or something? If not, let me have some of that which you smoke.

Rubens hasn't even been brought into this as the bad guy, or dangerous one except for a few armchair experts on this forum. No serious fan would even think of something like this.

How do you know if MS would have killed Rubens or not, yet, claim that Rubens could have killed MS today. All those things you said for Rubens you should apply to MS, actually, like most sane people that watch the sport have today. BUT!! Of course, you are the voice of armchair reason, so, I think maybe you should be called on to assist the stewards in Spa, maybe then we get someone to die in a race to spice up the show! :rolleyes:

#823 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:38

Did you have something to drink or something? If not, let me have some of that which you smoke.

Rubens hasn't even been brought into this as the bad guy, or dangerous one except for a few armchair experts on this forum. No serious fan would even think of something like this.

How do you know if MS would have killed Rubens or not, yet, claim that Rubens could have killed MS today. All those things you said for Rubens you should apply to MS, actually, like most sane people that watch the sport have today. BUT!! Of course, you are the voice of armchair reason, so, I think maybe you should be called on to assist the stewards in Spa, maybe then we get someone to die in a race to spice up the show! :rolleyes:

Useless to argue with him. He does not even realize the best place to pass is on the inside leading to the next corner. He is either clueless or just likes to argue.

#824 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,305 posts

TBH part of me think Rubens wanted to be squeezed. He has issues with Schumacher and probbs knew Schmacher would push him to the wall. he was slighly off the track before his attempted pass and had already been complaining unnecessarily about doors being slammed. again Rubens had the option once off the track to back off and he didn't. sure MS saw him go to the right so he moved over once. Rubens unlike many others in the past did not break and went for it.

At the end of the day this is racing MS will always defend hard like that. He will leave it up to the other driver weather not they want to risk the move.

Edited by Massa_f1, 01 August 2010 - 21:42.

#825 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

he went to the middl and when he saw RB went to the right incresed the rate at which he went to the right.

I'm sorry, but it does not appear to me MS increased/decreased his rate towards the right or jinked at all. It appeared to me to be a constant rate.

And he immediately started going right after exiting the corner, before RB went right.

RB went the same direction as MS, and continued right along with MS.

Again: Had RB stayed left, it would have been a simple, easy, unremarkable mid-field pass. RB's decision to go right along with his competitor is the only reason we're still discussing this now.

Well, that you're still discussing this now, anyway.

After seeing RB's on-board camera, it's clear to me RB did this all to himself for no good reason whatsoever.

He needs to learn how to pass safely. End of thread.

That MS got penalized for this will go down as another baloney penalty on MS, just like Monaco...

Not a fan, not my hero... But he returned to F1 with a target on his back, apparently...

When I became a fan of F1 a quarter-century ago, I am absolutely positive now one would have even blinked about the pass that occurred today.

F1 has officially gone soft with no return. No doubt anymore why I can't be bothered to watch a single race live anymore...

#826 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:40

I'm sorry, but it does not appear to me MS increased/decreased his rate towards the right or jinked at all. It appeared to me to be a constant rate.

And he immediately started going right after exiting the corner, before RB went right.

Again: Had RB stayed left, it would have been a simple, easy, unremarkable mid-field pass. RB's decision to go right along with his competitor is the only reason we're still discussing this now.

After seeing RB's on-board camera, it's clear to me RB did this all to himself for no good reason whatsoever.

That MS got penalized for this will go down as another baloney penalty on MS, just like Monaco...

Not a fan, not my hero... But he returned to F1 with a target on his back, apparently...

When I became a fan of F1 a quarter-century ago, I am absolutely positive now one would have even blinked about the pass that occurred today.

F1 has officially gone soft with no return. No doubt anymore why I can't be bothered to watch a single race live anymore...

Actually he passed safely, so, he knows how to do it, he knows how to pass safely so well that he passed safely in an endangered situation by other guy. You need to stick to Football or a sport you understand. :wave:

#827 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:41

there were 2 dangerous moments in the move
1) rubens squeezed against the wall into the pit exit
2) rubens bumping his way back onto the track

I've only seen comments how ms's move on the 1st one could have got someone killed
hypocrisy prevents comments on the 2nd?
rubens jinxed right at actually a higher speed than 1). is this suddenly acceptable and could not get someone killed?

#828 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

• 4,247 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:41

So what is Schumacher's message to his rivals? "Even Rubens in a Williams can take me. I'm all yours big boy"?

#829 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:43

So what is Schumacher's message to his rivals? "Even Rubens in a Williams can take me. I'm all yours big boy"?

more like "even a 3.5 sec faster over a lap car has trouble getting by me"

Edited by MikeTekRacing, 01 August 2010 - 21:44.

#830 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 9,776 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:44

I've only seen comments how ms's move on the 1st one could have got someone killed
rubens jinxed right at actually a higher speed than 1). is this suddenly acceptable and could not get someone killed?

Are you kidding? What did you want, him to go straight to the wall? Slam the breaks while going straight to the wall?
The damn straight was nearly over, there was no time or room for him to gently and moderately bring his car back to the racing line.

#831 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:47

RB was along side of MS....I will not bother arguing that MS turned more despite he did. You cannot just drive through the other guy which is what MS was doing. Had RB still been behind you could argue something different but he was beside him.

The penatly was justified and should have been applied before MS retired the first time but I guess back then, MS and Ferrari had too much clout in the FIA to get it done.

And BTW, I have been watching F1 since 1980 and one of the longest members here so it is not like you have the corner on watching how F1 has evolved.

Edited by jimm, 01 August 2010 - 21:51.

#832 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,305 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:48

I agree with your post this sort of thing went on all the time not long ago with 5 or 6 of the big guns and everyone loved it. Nobody was hurt today. I also agree wth the f1 has gone soft with no return.

#833 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

MS fans reaching for a reason he was not in the wrong.

#834 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

Are you kidding? What did you want, him to go straight to the wall? Slam the breaks while going straight to the wall?
The damn straight was nearly over, there was no time or room for him to gently and moderately bring his car back to the racing line.

lift off and go behind?
there was a car where he was trying to go. a car that had to move to give him room

I am just saying that by relying on ms moving out his come-back on the track was just as dangerous as ms's initial move. same kind of accident could have happened

#835 robefc

robefc

• 8,015 posts

I'm not sure I'm understanding you correctly, you think that schumi trys to push someone off the track on a straight that driver should not have the temerity to move back onto the track at some point but just drive into the wall/pit lane/grass?

#836 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:49

I agree with your post this sort of thing went on all the time not long ago with 5 or 6 of the big guns and everyone loved it. Nobody was hurt today. I also agree wth the f1 has gone soft with no return.

No. With the exception of a couple of incidents between PRost and Senna, it did not happen. Usually, they left room.

#837 robefc

robefc

• 8,015 posts

lift off and go behind?
there was a car where he was trying to go. a car that had to move to give him room

I am just saying that by relying on ms moving out his come-back on the track was just as dangerous as ms's initial move. same kind of accident could have happened

And it would still have been Schumi's fault, surely?

#838 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

MS fans reaching for a reason he was not in the wrong.

this is bullshit as I've said he was in the wrong in my initial post on this topic

it's just that I would like ALL these moves punished, I hate this type of moves. I see only ms punished until now

#839 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:51

I thought actually that was the scariest part of the incident. You "could" argue that Rubens jerked back to the track in a dangerous way. I guess we should think of his options though. he had the wall heading toward him, so, he had to move left at some point. Then there was the ditch on which his car hopped as he was heading back in.

But lets put this into perspective first. IMHO, First of all, he shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with. Now that he's been forced into the pitlane exit he needs to come back in, but there's a stubborn person sticking right to the far right of the track, even though Rubens has puled right alongside him and possibly fractionally ahead.

Now, what are the options? brake? Why? he fought hard to pass Schumacher and had made it through. The truth is that Schumacher should have backed off that squeee already, or at least, started to back off the squeeze by that point. IMHO Even if Rubens stepped on the brakes then, the wall to his right and the grass was going to keep coming at him very quickly, and, what to do then? he still has to turn to the right and then what? Was he sure that MS would have been cleared by the time he turns left then?

So, the way I see it, yea, the second part was actually more dangerous than the first part of the incident, but it was induced by that first part. Rubens had to come back in after being pushed out.

Advertisement

#840 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,305 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:51

No. With the exception of a couple of incidents between PRost and Senna, it did not happen. Usually, they left room.

It happned a bit and not just with them two Mansell was in his fair share Nelson as well. as well as other mid field runners.

#841 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,892 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:53

Brits are a race?!!!

Wow, I learn something new everyday on here.

According to the European Union, every nationality is a race. I agree that it's ludicrous, but that's the EU for you, you'd have to double its collective IQ to reach moron level.

#842 jimm

jimm

• 3,227 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:55

this is bullshit as I've said he was in the wrong in my initial post on this topic

it's just that I would like ALL these moves punished, I hate this type of moves. I see only ms punished until now

He was forced off the track...suddenly letting off the throttle or worse slamming the brakes could have made him lose control.

Besides, he would have never been there in the first place without MS not trying to shove him into the wall.

#843 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:56

From which lunatic asylum did you escape? Are you suggesting that had Barrichello gone left Schumacher would have just let him pass? Er no - He would have run him off the left side of the track...

#844 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 11,208 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:56

more like "even a 3.5 sec faster over a lap car has trouble getting by me"

Two seconds a lap http://f1.autosport..../laptimes12.php see lap 57 and 59. Lap 58 is not representative as Michael was letting MW by.
Apart from that, Rubens succeeded despite Michael's antics. We've seen a lot of cars not doing that against less hardened opponents.
Rubens just showed that and how it can be done, and to call him a whinger after such a brave move doesn't make sense to me.

The funny thing is that the fact that it was Michael probably motivated him more than anything else :D

#845 race addicted

race addicted

• 19,478 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:58

I've sometimes defended Schumacher being off pace this year, depending on how much off the pace he was, but his behaviour on track is a disgrace. I do think he goes on the defensive even more than normal when it's Barrichello in his mirrors. It was the most nasty incident I've seen, of someone pushing another competitor towards the wall! Horrible, and I was so hoping for a race-ban for him! One, 'cause he would've deserved it, and two because it would've been fun to see Heidfeld performing closer to Rosberg's level than he's able to.

#846 Scotracer

Scotracer

• 2,685 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:58

20 years. You?

Wait that means you're at least 20 years old? Well I never.

As for the move, it was very aggressive but no rules were broken. The penalty is justified, however.

#847 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 21:59

I thought actually that was the scariest part of the incident. You "could" argue that Rubens jerked back to the track in a dangerous way. I guess we should think of his options though. he had the wall heading toward him, so, he had to move left at some point. Then there was the ditch on which his car hopped as he was heading back in.

But lets put this into perspective first. IMHO, First of all, he shouldn't have been in that situation to begin with. Now that he's been forced into the pitlane exit he needs to come back in, but there's a stubborn person sticking right to the far right of the track, even though Rubens has puled right alongside him and possibly fractionally ahead.

Now, what are the options? brake? Why? he fought hard to pass Schumacher and had made it through. The truth is that Schumacher should have backed off that squeee already, or at least, started to back off the squeeze by that point. IMHO Even if Rubens stepped on the brakes then, the wall to his right and the grass was going to keep coming at him very quickly, and, what to do then? he still has to turn to the right and then what? Was he sure that MS would have been cleared by the time he turns left then?

So, the way I see it, yea, the second part was actually more dangerous than the first part of the incident, but it was induced by that first part. Rubens had to come back in after being pushed out.

my argument is that both of them were dickheads into that move
one of them for squeezing late and too much (although he did leave a car's width there, only by change, but he did)..and the other one for being a complete dumbass two time..first he got into that space KNOWING he would be squeezed and second for the way he rejoined...
he could have lifted and slot in behind, he was running out of road and going straight into a wall...instead he moved across into another car's path at 300+ km/h

how is his last judgement "safer" if people keep saying ms could have killed rb today?

they both took things way too far into this

#848 MarkWRX

MarkWRX

• 816 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 22:01

A tenent of racing is that you must leave racing room. Schumacher did not.

"I had a line of about five centimeters that I had to hit and that lap I obviously ran a little wide and started sliding, so my exit speed was a bit compromised.

Typical Schumacher - he claims he is such a precise and exact driver - that he can hit a 50mm mark every time. Maybe at the height of his racing, with all the driver aids he enjoyed.

And then this rude comment - sounding very much like Max Mosley's outbursts about Sir Jackie Stewart:

"We know certain drivers have certain views and then there is Rubens," said Schumacher, speaking to the BBC.

Looks like the stewards agreed with Ruben's view this time, Saint Schumacher. It must be very difficult for him to learn that the paddock no longer thinks he walks on water. It must be very difficult to be consistently outpaced by your team-mate, and to know that the Ferrari "You must let Michael past" button on the pit wall, (which has had a line drawn "Michael" and replaced with "Fernando") did not travel to Mercedes GP with Ross Brawn.

#849 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 22:02

Wait that means you're at least 20 years old? Well I never.

As for the move, it was very aggressive but no rules were broken. The penalty is justified, however.

Yeap, and I think that's why some people are having a tough time understanding why the penalty. They only think of the rulebook. Common sense applies too.

#850 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,717 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 22:02

A tenent of racing is that you must leave racing room. Schumacher did not.

this is actually not true since rubens got through without touching anything :)