Photo

Barrichello/Schumacher Incident

• Please log in to reply
1903 replies to this topic

#1101 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,361 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:20

But, but, but.... McLaren was found guilty and fined $100 million did you agree on that then and Lewis was found guilty and penalized in Spa 2008. :confused:

Can't remember you agreeing wholeheartedly with the authorities back then or is this only a selective and hypocritical thingy where you back rulings only when they fit your agenda. :lol:

Hey, JPW - here's an apple and orange - compare.

Advertisement

#1102 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:21

Got to say though that rule is so ambiguously worded - it can be down to the stewards on the day really

As is with almost all rules in the FIA rulebook.

And yes, it seems that getting what penalty depends wether or not the stewards of that day had fun with their wives the previous night.

#1103 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Oh ohw ohw... I tried to not talk about this move of Michael, the Agel of Death? Come on fanboys, talk about Senna this or Senna that, Look this Michael is as bad as one can be, he is SLOW, he is really not even half the shadow of what people said about him. He is a PURE danger to the lives of the other participants, and Senna never fought for ONE point, in in 2010; THAT's FOR A TENTH PLACE?

Ok ok, ... he's the Minardi-in-da-Flesh right now, Mercedes looks more and more silly every race, because the only things people seem to get popped into they're minds are Wolfgang von Traps and another horrific crash at Le Mans.... Boy, Sjeez, really the kind of image one should expect from an retired old fart who drives like an old lady and also very very dangerous.

I was so mad, I feld a feeling I only had once before in f1, right after that move... God excists, or Rubens REALLY REALLY has a damn good Protection Angerl watching and protecting him right there... I had shivers down my back, and really feld that ..well.... a fatality was suddenly one of the options in F1 again .... Especially with a morron like Michael who CAN't stand the fact that he is BEING PASSED by an another old (but much nicer ;)) teammate who had to brake a lot for the man, Rubens gave Michael a goddamn bunch of victories at Ferrari for God's sake, and this is his thanks? A 2-seconds slower moving Silver Chicane without any regard of life so it seems.

Schumi is back? hehehe, folks, today we can still laugh but oh-my oh-my, how diffrent 2 centimer could have been yesterday.

The most typical thing was Michael's reaction after the race, proud, chin up, (0-points) but hey, ... didn't his move look like a Senna move? FOR 10th place, to get 0 points for 11th? Sure folks, Michael is the worst thing to happen to F1, it's all been said before so there's no use to wind oneself up about it. The man has no morality, sense or anything like it. He's blind and ruthless. And ohmy ohmy, what will happen for the rest of the season? If the man reacts like THIS for a SINGLE point, what will he be able to pull out of his red-helmet if he's fighting for like...let's keep it realitstic as well, for like 7th of 6th place? :eek: :eek: :eek: I will hold my breath and keep my right hand on my heart, and say a little prayer.

The whole move: un-f*cking-believable, the punishment? WAAAAY to low. But ok, like some said; nothing happened, but that's not the point folks. It's only a miracle that nothing happened, nothing else.

And what a Great Balls of fire from Rubens!! :up:

And no worries, Michael takes his so called "punishment" and will go back racing in Spa, like a dangerous wild animal on wheels. But let me tell you this; No one must think that the likes of Alonso, Massa, Hamilton, Vettel and Webber for instance and any other driver who is fighting with Michael (so actually the slower drivers of the field heehehe) will have a little word with Michael about that move, and will warn him he should not even THINK about it with them, and for god's sake, Michael; "Do you wanna end up like Senna?" Then hopefully take nobody with you down there man! Get a brain!

[this message has been pretty much self-sencored by the poster of this post]

#1104 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Oh ohw ohw...

Aww I knew you could pass this up :p

#1105 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 2,598 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:24

Barrichello selected the 'scary' route and he kept his foot in, if you stick your neck out then prepared to be frightened, he always had enough space to get through every inch of the move. Some of these Schumacher fans are ridiculous of course just as they are with any driver, especially Alonso. The thing is that doesn't make it wrong to defend him, Michael is a hard racer too hard for some apparently but I feel like defending him just simply because of the way people like Brundle love to beat up on him. They're all so jealous of his achievements. Brundle never even one a single race and he's got such strong opinions.

#1106 schuey100

schuey100

• 655 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:25

To be fair he's refuting your point about the fact that if someone is found guilty then all arguments end. You said that Schumacher's been found guilty so he's guilty and there's no point in getting into further argument.

You're making a fair point but logically you'd need to extend that to other incidents. If McLaren is found guilty then that's it. You were actually making a point about the nature of guilt and it's consequence on further argument, therefore any comparison with F1 penalties is a fair one. You can't really have it both ways.

Either we can argue incidents and continue with our beliefs about a situation or all arguments end when the stewards or FIA have their say.

#1107 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:25

As is with almost all rules in the FIA rulebook.

And yes, it seems that getting what penalty depends wether or not the stewards of that day had fun with their wives the previous night.

I kind of like it that way though. Pretty much every law in the land is objective - up to the enforcers to interpret it as they see fit. It can work well, or terribly. The many different situations that that rule encompasses cannot all be written down.

#1108 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:28

I'm sure they'll give him a wide berth then.

Brundle alluded yesterday that the younger drivers see Schumacher as a trophy to collect if they pass him. That must grate Schumacher big time and probably why he's been driving so erratically. Because he's in a weak car/weak position some drivers see him as an easy target now his vulnerablities have been exposed all season long. IF he had a stronger car, I'm willing to bet that his previous aura would still be there.

As it stands, I'm willing to bet other drivers are going to think twice before trying to put a move on him.

The younger drivers don't do fear, they'll just be thinking "Schumi can't look after his tyres, I can get him and look good".

I suppose it's not impossible he's making himself more of a trophy by being difficult and risky to pass, but more likely his aura is fading now.

And starting with the HRT's in Spa is going to speed that process along quite a lot.

#1109 PMM3

PMM3

• 222 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:30

So what, many people who are innocent have been judged guilty

And there are many thugs who are worshipped and idolised...like Micheal Schumacher

#1110 sir jackie walker

sir jackie walker

• 622 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:32

Penalty deserved, though perhaps a bit too lenient. He could have been suspended as well, but on the other hand, I want to see what the old man has for Spa.

I don't really understand why some posters call the move 'technically legal'. Rubens had a gap before him when starting the move, and then Schumi crowded him out of the track limits. And that's not just dangerous or stupid, but illegal as well.

If the man reacts like THIS for a SINGLE point, what will he be able to pull out of his red-helmet if he's fighting for like...let's keep it realitstic as well, for like 7th of 6th place? :eek: :eek: :eek:

:rotfl:

#1111 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,160 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:34

I'm honestly not sure that the ten-place grid penalty for Spa is a good idea. It'll just give him more cars to ram off the road.

exactly, maybe pole is a better (safer) option :lol:

#1112 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,476 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:36

Oh, man. Full of drama queens in here.

It was a bad move instigated by the chance encounter of two guys who still have a lot to settle. The penalty is ok, just hope the stewards will be consistent. He'll just have to start from 11th (good times).

In the end Barri did have barely enough space, but he did have it (otherwise he would have crashed). So stop with the attempted murder, ban, retirement nonsense.

Oh, i should point out that Barri got so close so quickly only because Schumi showed great sportsmanship and moved out of Webber's way. :p Where is the praise for him?

Most of you wouldn't even bother to open this thread if it wasn't for Schumacher being involved.

Edited by Diablobb81, 02 August 2010 - 09:37.

#1113 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,361 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:37

To be fair he's refuting your point about the fact that if someone is found guilty then all arguments end. You said that Schumacher's been found guilty so he's guilty and there's no point in getting into further argument.

You're making a fair point but logically you'd need to extend that to other incidents. If McLaren is found guilty then that's it. You were actually making a point about the nature of guilt and it's consequence on further argument, therefore any comparison with F1 penalties is a fair one. You can't really have it both ways.

Either we can argue incidents and continue with our beliefs about a situation or all arguments end when the stewards or FIA have their say.

Yes but in both incidents he brings up there were MAJOR disagreements over the guilt not just on this board but by commentators, analysts, drivers and journalists - and especially in the case at Spa a VAST majority probably landed on Hamilton's side and not Ferrari's (most especially given that Charlie Whiting had approved the move). Not the case here, vastly different, Schumacher was condemned by the media, peers, and everyone alike. Which I guess was my apples and oranges point.

#1114 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:38

If guilty means so much to you that it's the end of, then by al means be consequent but alas the hypocrisy and grey-itis are shining through once again.

#1115 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,361 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:40

If guilty means so much to you that it's the end of, then by al means be consequent but alas the hypocrisy and grey-itis are shining through once again.

You shroud of grey hate makes you look like a fool far too often my friend.

Edited by Gareth, 02 August 2010 - 09:45.

#1116 goat0063

goat0063

• 279 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:46

There is far far less blocking in NASCAR actually.

I was referring more to the concept of putting other competitors into the wall at 200mph......

#1117 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:46

Yes but in both incidents he brings up there were MAJOR disagreements over the guilt not just on this board but by commentators, analysts, drivers and journalists - and especially in the case at Spa a VAST majority probably landed on Hamilton's side and not Ferrari's (most especially given that Charlie Whiting had approved the move). Not the case here, vastly different, Schumacher was condemned by the media, peers, and everyone alike. Which I guess was my apples and oranges point.

And the point is you are having a disagreement over the guilt with someone on this board. So simply saying "he was found guilty, that's the end of the story" doesn't really work unless you apply that to all instances.

If the above is your reasoning, then the more appropriate point to make would have been "Schumacher has been condemned by the media, peers, and everyone alike, so I think it is clear he is guilty" not "he was found guilty, end of story".

#1118 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,029 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:48

I was referring more to the concept of putting other competitors into the wall at 200mph......

There's not much of that actually. NASCAR drivers tend to race pretty clean, mainly because they are running so close to walls at 200mph. What you are hinting at is the retaliatory driving, which of course is unacceptable.

#1119 raoul leDuke

raoul leDuke

• 151 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:51

Posted Image

Here is Fangio lapping Trintignant's Ferrari in the 1955 British Grand Prix at Aintree. Note how Fangio has pulled over further than neccessary to permit Moss, who was chasing him in second, to also lap the Ferrari before the next corner! Moss went on to take his first Grand Prix win.

Fangio was not only one of the greatest ever, he was a sportsman and a gentleman something that seems in ever shorter supply in the F1 circus today.

Advertisement

#1120 schuey100

schuey100

• 655 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:51

But you didn't say anything about the media, commentators and peers etc. You said 'guilty, end of story'. Perhaps you want to just admit you phrased it wrongly, start again and say something like

'The majority of commentators, peers, analysts and the FIA found him guilty, end of story'.

That would make much more sense because to be fair (and I think you know this) your 'FIA guilty verdict end of story' comment isn't very viable.

#1121 rolf123

rolf123

• 2,331 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:55

He wasn't 'cutting' the track because it wasn't a short cut. Where Rubens had to drive was a disadvantage on it's own.

He was cutting. It wasn't a short cut but it was still a cut to allow the overtake.

You cannot use all 4 wheels off track to overtake someone. If you can, then blocking becomes totally pointless as drivers can just take to the masses of Tilke-style run off areas.

#1122 VresiBerba

VresiBerba

• 8,951 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:57

Michael being in the wrong is not mutually exclusive with Rubens being a whiny little bitch. I mean he was whining on the radio BEFORE the incident about Michael's defending and yet there was nothing particularly harsh about it prior to the actual event.

So? Is Rubens now precluded from whining, or what the hell is going on. Alonso was whining on the radio in Germany, saying; 'it's' ridiculous, whatever 'it' meant. Now that is what I would call whining.

#1123 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 57,029 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:58

He was cutting. It wasn't a short cut but it was still a cut to allow the overtake.

You cannot use all 4 wheels off track to overtake someone. If you can, then blocking becomes totally pointless as drivers can just take to the masses of Tilke-style run off areas.

He didn't go 4 wheels off. And if he had, he would have been in the grass not a run off area. You really need to rewatch the incident and study the photos.

#1124 goat0063

goat0063

• 279 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:58

There's not much of that actually. NASCAR drivers tend to race pretty clean, mainly because they are running so close to walls at 200mph. What you are hinting at is the retaliatory driving, which of course is unacceptable.

Yes, you are right, of course. I was not having a dig at NASCAR as such. More a comparison to the recent events between BK and CE which obviously don't reflect the general standard of behaviour in NASCAR.

Regrettably there seems to be a minority of fans and drivers in both NASCAR and F1 who seem to think that putting (or trying to put) a competitor into a wall at 200mph is acceptable. Actually, I think what MS tried to do yesterday was at least as bad as any of the BK/CE events.

#1125 VresiBerba

VresiBerba

• 8,951 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:59

Hamilton broke those with Petrov, yet only received a reprimand, was it not?

1. No, it was a warning.
2. No, Lewis did not break any rule in article 16.1.

#1126 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:20

Ahh, you are right. Hamilton got a reprimand for racing in the pitlane with Vettel. Big Difference!!

But still:

''- constituted a breach of these Sporting Regulations or the Code ;
- caused a false start by one or more cars ;
- caused a collision ;
- forced a driver off the track ;
- illegitimately prevented a legitimate overtaking manoeuvre by a driver ;''

I think youd make a good case filing that move from Hammy under breach of sporting regulations, and illegitimately preventing a legitimate overtaking manouvre.

Then again, after Hammys warning, and after a lot of drivers complained, race director Charlie Whiting wasnt happy and agreed that next time it would be handed down to the stewards for a possible penalty. Cue Schumachers move > penalty.

Boy, these FIA regulations, they are very fair to anyone, arent they?

BTW, you being a Montoya (I loved him as well), what did you make of Montoyas pushing of Rubens at Indy 2003?

#1127 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:21

O good old cry baby rubens he hasn't changed much has he. This is all blown way out of proportion just because it's schumacher involved. People can deny it but it's true. People here expected that Schumacher had changed and all of sudden had become a soft "just happy to drive along" kind of driver.

The fact is he is not that kind of person. He is in here to win and works very very hard to archieve that. He will never change.

Yep i mean i can't understand why Webber was saying it was "feeling so good" after putting Michael down a lap, what is good in doing that in a car that is so much faster then other cars? Just because it's Michael? All the drivers were saying they wouldn't care on track if they were racing against Michael or another driver but this year has proven that they do care and make a lot more of an effort to pass Michael then any other driver.

Webber say this only because the ass who ask questions ask him about it. It was in the qouestion: Good win and lapping Michael how do you feel? Just this ass forget to ask how he feel when he laped Button too. Alonso was there too and he wasn't happy , because he know that with this car RBR can lap even the 3rd place(if there was not problem with Vettel).

Edited by ivand911, 02 August 2010 - 10:23.

#1128 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,960 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:26

Look, I'm not defending Schumacher here, I know when he is wrong and when he is fair. Yestersay, he was anything but fair.

However, a degree of culpability must also lay at Ruben' door. He, himself, chose to keep his foot in it and go on the inside despite seeing that Schumacher was squeezing him.

It was upmanship on Rubens' part and he himself admitted more or less that because it was Schumacher he had to go for it and that it was 'beautiful'. Let's not make Rubens' out to be a saint here, he knew the consequences but choose to stick to the inside (a) because it was psychologically gratifying for him (b) because it was Schumacher, c) there was pride at stake and lastly (d) there was a point to be had.

The last thing on Rubens' mind was getting that final point. He wanted to take it to Schumacher as an act of psychological gratification for what happened during those Ferrari years.

That's my opinion anyway.

#1129 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:34

I think at that speed once you've made the initial move to go down the inside it's very hard to change your mind - especially with the rush of adrenaline.

#1130 jimpo

jimpo

• 277 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:49

So what, many people who are innocent have been judged guilty

So what, there's already 30 pages of discussion about the incident and you feel that your personal input "Nothing wrong with Schumacher move" is somehow valuable contribution?

#1131 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,875 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:00

Another thing about this incident. As it played out it was a spectacular piece of action and a highlight of the race.

People want more overtaking which you would have it if for example MS had pulled over to the far left and given Rubens all the space in the world.

But they you'd have overtaking about as spectacular to watch as Alonso on Massa in Germany.

Then I'd be asking - why the clamour of fans asking for more of that zzzzzzzzzzzz

#1132 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,476 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:08

Yeah, funny that we have a 30 page discussion about this but none whatsoever that a car 1,5-2 sec faster can't overtake.

F1 :zzzzzzzzzzzzz but it is seen as "a very exciting season".

Edited by Diablobb81, 02 August 2010 - 11:09.

#1133 CNSZU5

CNSZU5

• 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:25

This incident is a clear example of how the sport, and many fans on this board have become safety-concious over the years to the extreme. Do we really want to penalize on-track fighting so that the races become safe and boring? Something must give, and I prefer, which I think every proper racer and racing fan prefers, is to eliminate some the safety in return for thrilling races. Back to old-school action.

Schumacher is an old school racer; tough, but fair. Penalizing him for this incident would not be fair. Penalities should only be applied when accidents occur, and hopefully this will encourage more exciting races.

#1134 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

• 4,299 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:26

Good one :up: but remember Michael is always at his best when unfair penalties get him send to the back of the grid ;)

So we've never seen him at his best?

For his own sake, I hope he realises that the next driver to try to overtake him will be thinking "If that pensioner Rubens can get past this old fart, I sure as Hell will. Out the way grandpa, racing driver coming through!"

#1135 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,385 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:38

This incident is a clear example of how the sport, and many fans on this board have become safety-concious over the years to the extreme. Do we really want to penalize on-track fighting so that the races become safe and boring? Something must give, and I prefer, which I think every proper racer and racing fan prefers, is to eliminate some the safety in return for thrilling races. Back to old-school action.

Schumacher is an old school racer; tough, but fair. Penalizing him for this incident would not be fair. Penalities should only be applied when accidents occur, and hopefully this will encourage more exciting races.

/facepalm

Utter tosh. You think we'd see exciting racing if drivers could 'defend' to such a degree? No one would want to overtake because they would be too scared to do so!

#1136 RottenAli

RottenAli

• 43 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:38

Sorry, but I would have excluded MS from the results for dangerous driving.
RB said it himself - "horrible".

Edited by RottenAli, 02 August 2010 - 11:39.

#1137 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,443 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:41

How is the possibility of smashing into another car at 300 kph more appealing than running over the grass? It was clearly Rubens giving some back in a dangerous move.... come on now.

The grass was as unwilling to move as Schumacher....

#1138 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,960 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:45

Sorry, but I would have excluded MS from the results for dangerous driving.
RB said it himself - "horrible".

Barrichello put himself in that dangerous position. He kept his foot in it despite seeing Schumacher squeeze him.

It was Barrichello playing upmanship games with Schumacher purely because it was Schumacher

#1139 Tifosi90

Tifosi90

• 277 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:45

+ 1 :up:

Finally a poster with some common sense. This is racing and what Michael did yesterday was hard but fair and it made the race and post-race way more exiting, at least people have something to talk about after the race.

Formula 1 has been largely ruined by the modern health & safety rules. Soon we will have speed limit on the track, like we have on the roads and indicators to tell other drivers what is happening. Everyone complains when there is no overtaking but then the same people who cry about no overtaking, complain when overtaking does happen. I guess drivers that are slower should just bend over and let the other guy past, like Massa did in Germany.

Advertisement

#1140 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,721 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:46

The grass was as unwilling to move as Schumacher....

and lifting off was not an option..why exactly?

#1141 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:49

:|
No. This is wrong in so many ways.

#1142 Tifosi90

Tifosi90

• 277 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:50

/facepalm

Utter tosh. You think we'd see exciting racing if drivers could 'defend' to such a degree? No one would want to overtake because they would be too scared to do so!

Then the drivers need to grow a pair of balls. Back in the day when safety was awful and they didn't even have seat belts in the cars, the racing was still good and the drivers raced each other even harder than today. Modern racing drivers today are a bunch of pussies, who would rather wait till the pitstops to get ahead. Webber was a good example yesterday, when he was behind Alonso he didn't even try to overtake him, he waited until the pitstops and then he started racing. Pretty sad to see what F1 has become :rolleyes:

#1143 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:53

+ 1 :up:

Finally a poster with some common sense. This is racing and what Michael did yesterday was hard but fair and it made the race and post-race way more exiting, at least people have something to talk about after the race.

Formula 1 has been largely ruined by the modern health & safety rules. Soon we will have speed limit on the track, like we have on the roads and indicators to tell other drivers what is happening. Everyone complains when there is no overtaking but then the same people who cry about no overtaking, complain when overtaking does happen. I guess drivers that are slower should just bend over and let the other guy past, like Massa did in Germany.

Even more people would be talking about it if there was actually a collision. Would that make it even better?
Running a competitor off-track to within literally inches of a concrete wall at 290Kph is not hard but fair.

#1144 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,443 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:53

THis is how real champions do it:

Mansell passing Senna

Edited by Bloggsworth, 02 August 2010 - 11:54.

#1145 Aloisioitaly

Aloisioitaly

• 272 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:55

Compared to Senna's manouver at Estoril in 1988, Shumi's beahavior yesterday was very fair indeed.

#1146 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:57

and lifting off was not an option..why exactly?

There were two options to avoid further danger after Rubens was in the pit exit facing the grass:

1. Rubens lifts off

2. Schumacher moves over

Given Schumacher was at fault for the 2 cars finding themselves in the position of being faced with these options (having illegally moved over on Rubens), I think option 2 is the appropriate one.

#1147 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:58

Then the drivers need to grow a pair of balls. Back in the day when safety was awful and they didn't even have seat belts in the cars, the racing was still good and the drivers raced each other even harder than today. Modern racing drivers today are a bunch of pussies, who would rather wait till the pitstops to get ahead. Webber was a good example yesterday, when he was behind Alonso he didn't even try to overtake him, he waited until the pitstops and then he started racing. Pretty sad to see what F1 has become :rolleyes:

No they did not. They raced hard but they had respect for each other because they knew full well what the consequences were.
The number of deaths in that era was horrendous but nearly all wear due to accidents, not being run-off track by competitors.

#1148 as65p

as65p

• 17,179 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:01

Compared to Senna's manouver at Estoril in 1988, Shumi's beahavior yesterday was very fair indeed.

Get yourself some glasses. Senna gave Prost at least triple the room MS allowed Barrichello yesterday.

#1149 MPea3

MPea3

• 2,144 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:10

Bullshit. Show one example where any driver from the 60s or before drove another driver off the track and against a wall to defend his position. They may have raced hard andndone more passing but they had enough respect for their competitors and themselves, not to mention a genuine fear of the outcome, to pull a stunt like Michael did yesterday.

#1150 Aloisioitaly

Aloisioitaly

• 272 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 12:10

Get yourself some glasses. Senna gave Prost at least triple the room MS allowed Barrichello yesterday.

What?!? Are you kiddin us?
Senna's dirty move could involve all the people behind the pitwall, causing a massacre. Joe Ramirez (good friend of Senna) called it a horrible move. There was no escape for Prost, cuz the track ended at the wall. As someone else already said, Schumi pushed Barrichello off the track: but Senna didn't, cuz there was no off-track space between the track and the wall. And yet, Schumi got a penalty and Senna did get a free pass, as usual.