Photo

Barrichello/Schumacher Incident

• Please log in to reply
1903 replies to this topic

#1301 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,600 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 23:39

Yeah... that made me wonder whether the man is stupid - or that maybe he has narcissistic personality disorder - those kinds of people very rarely admit to mistakes and if you get them to apologise they make it sound like it is just another insult. That's how Lewis' 'apology' came across to me. If that's not what he meant then he needs to choose his words better.

every human being says things that are maybe a little stupid,but lewis is not stupid,nor imo narcasitic,he made a silly mistake,the michael incident was dangerous,and still makes me gasp now

Advertisement

#1302 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,384 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 23:59

I am impressed when so many people exaggeratted that Schumi's squeezed too far, especially when Rubens says that there is only a hair's space in between, or 2cm between Rubens at the wall. Over-reaction by everyone. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Looking at this image again, it is at least 20cm to 30cm distance to the wall.

So Schumi is right to say that he gave Rubens too much room

Later frames show that Schumacher squeezed him further. It was that close.

#1303 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 00:09

every human being says things that are maybe a little stupid,but lewis is not stupid,nor imo narcasitic,he made a silly mistake,the michael incident was dangerous,and still makes me gasp now

Both of them have said "if" when they have 'apologised' to another driver. That conditional implies they don't think there is a reason to apologise but they will apologise just to look better. They are being jerks... when it's blatantly obvious they are wrong there should be no conditional at all in the apology.

Study the narcissistic personality disorder - that's exactly the kind of behaviour those kind of people do. They will apologise to you and at the same time insult you more, believing they are right even when they are apologising, "admitting that they are wrong". So the apology is fake and worth nothing.

#1304 baddog

baddog

• 23,295 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 00:27

Both of them have said "if" when they have 'apologised' to another driver. That conditional implies they don't think there is a reason to apologise but they will apologise just to look better. They are being jerks... when it's blatantly obvious they are wrong there should be no conditional at all in the apology.

Michael said that he was wrong, with no condition. He attached a condition to the part about how Rubens felt about it which is a different matter.

#1305 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,600 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 00:31

Study the narcissistic personality disorder - that's exactly the kind of behaviour those kind of people do. They will apologise to you and at the same time insult you more, believing they are right even when they are apologising, "admitting that they are wrong". So the apology is fake and worth nothing.

I understand what you are saying anassi,but you are taking a bunch of words and making a large assumption about a persons personality.

#1306 Murphster

Murphster

• 225 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:36

I am impressed when so many people exaggeratted that Schumi's squeezed too far, especially when Rubens says that there is only a hair's space in between, or 2cm between Rubens at the wall. Over-reaction by everyone. :mad: :mad: :mad:

But the last picture does not depict the end of the move, Schumacher never stopped turning in and came within cm's of putting Rubens into the wall, and potentially ending his life in the process, along with any driver that may have been exiting the pit at the time and maybe even one or two people behind the wall if the crash would have been big enough.

I struggle to understand how there can exist a single person who claims to be a Formula 1 fan and does not recognise how stupid and dangerous this move was. Honestly, what kind of fan of this sport wants to see moves like this? And to accuse Ruben's of whining? Oh my God, some people have no clue.

Whether you like it or not, Michael Schumacher has made the biggest mistake of his career coming back into F1, his already tarnished reputation has now been trashed even more by this move. There is no doubt it is fully deserved and his reputation will never recover from it.

Anyone on this forum who thinks this is okay will never get my respect ever in any future posts - take the blinkers off and join the real world.

#1307 zooropa21

zooropa21

• 488 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:46

"yup just like many before him such as senna,"

Your point being? Please PM since it is OT.

#1308 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:54

LOL I think I have the number for a loonie house, if you're interested I can get it for you. In those pics it looks as if he's trying to kill him LOL

Yah, you know, I think, if you look close enough, I think you can see Rubens pulling out his ruler and measuring the distance to make sure he had those 2 CM correct!!! :rolleyes:

#1309 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:55

Geez wiz, now it's on Chinese TV too. Funny enough that whilst they were racing wheel to wheel, Michael hasn't touched his car, yet of separation the Brazilian drove into Schumacher, and hit his wheel. Little anger mismanagment, and now he is complaining? What a piece of *****!

#1310 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 02:15

What is the criteria for the FIA to review a drivers superlicense? A review should be done with a view to indefinitely suspend Schumachers license before something tragic and totally preventable happens.

#1311 VresiBerba

VresiBerba

• 8,951 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:12

Geez wiz, now it's on Chinese TV too. Funny enough that whilst they were racing wheel to wheel, Michael hasn't touched his car, yet of separation the Brazilian drove into Schumacher, and hit his wheel. Little anger mismanagment, and now he is complaining? What a piece of *****!

I never really gave those theories of alternate dimensions much thought. Until today.

#1312 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 03:17

I never really gave those theories of alternate dimensions much thought. Until today.

I was afraid to even reply to it lol

#1313 Palmero

Palmero

• 296 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:34

Every time i watch this i think how bad it could have been, if a car was leaving the pits and collided with them.

#1314 Kovalonso

Kovalonso

• 540 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:39

I found very amusing the simbolism of Rubens' overtake on Schumacher.

1> Once both left Ferrari and there were no more team orders restraining Rubens behaviour, he really went for it over Schumy, recovering his honor and the truth in his words, since people use to say that Rubens is moaner with lots of "woulda-coulda-shoulda". In Hungaroring it seems that all his worlds became legitimate, like being forbiden to overtake and compete with MS, being left with a worse race strategy and for times equipment, being the only drive to leave Ferrari looking for better chances to become WDC, etc.

2> Spa will be a very important milestone for both Rubens and Michael.
Rubens will complete 300 gps and celebrate with a special helmet design and copycats sold with revenues reverted to his intitution IBK [Institute Barrichello Kanaan]. At almost 300 gps, Rubens proved that he is still thirsty for F1, making a very risky overtaking to conquer a single miserable point.
Michael will start another cicle in F1, since he featured in F1 aboard of a Jordan in Spa. At the end of the current cicle, it couldn't be a worse scenario for MS, bcs out of FIA-Ferrari [aledged] special conditions, MS is showing only his worse dirty side and none of his speed and development skills.
While Rubens still has IT, Michael seems to have lost IT.

3> When Rubens overtook MS aboard of his Williams, he also surpassed Ross Brawn in the car development program.
Rubens was capable of helping to improve the Williams in a steady curve, changing the engineers interpretation of the windtunnel data and other developments. Mercedes is loosing the this race too.
It kind of proved to Brawn his value and that he should have kept him in the team.

Well done, Rubens :clap:

#1315 4L3X

4L3X

• 2,012 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:41

This is the kind of move that should make FIA change some rules. Or introduce some with Schumacher name on it, because only him can go past the limits of decency.

To revoke his superlicense would not make him mad. Instead they could review the 94' championship and give the title to Hill instead, just to clean up the house.

#1316 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 04:50

This is the kind of move that should make FIA change some rules. Or introduce some with Schumacher name on it, because only him can go past the limits of decency.

To revoke his superlicense would not make him mad. Instead they could review the 94' championship and give the title to Hill instead, just to clean up the house.

If they revoke his license they would do him a favor, he won't have to keep torturing himself in this comeback lol

#1317 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,739 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:40

Posted Image

I still don"t know what Rubens think when he start his overtake from the right side. Ha has to know that the track will be tighter soon. But his crying works well, Shumi gets a penalty, the brazilian is the hero of the moment...

and Schumi has only his 7WDC... :cool:

OMG, you´re right. The track is actually just a few meters (if not only centimeters) wide when they approach T1. Or then it could be a distortion known as perspective.

#1318 Murphster

Murphster

• 225 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:57

OMG, you´re right. The track is actually just a few meters (if not only centimeters) wide when they approach T1. Or then it could be a distortion known as perspective.

This must be why it is always so hard to pass in Hungary.

Far more disturbing to me is the collection of little people sitting on the hill next to turn one, you can hardly make them out but they must be no more than 3mm tall!! How freaky.

Is everyone in Hungary this small?

#1319 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:17

But the last picture does not depict the end of the move, Schumacher never stopped turning in and came within cm's of putting Rubens into the wall, and potentially ending his life in the process, along with any driver that may have been exiting the pit at the time and maybe even one or two people behind the wall if the crash would have been big enough.

Never stopped turning in eh?

Well theres heaps of pictures on the net now so why don't you show me just one where Schumacher has gone over the white line let alone touch it.....??

Amazing how many of the pictures on the net have had the width decreased to make it look closer than it actually is. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Every time these guys get into a race car they potentially end their lives, stop with the drama queen crap.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#1320 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:19

And by the way, wheres Ruben's penalty for passing off track, Alonso copped one 2 races ago after he was run off the road by Kubica.

#1321 Murphster

Murphster

• 225 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:24

And by the way, wheres Ruben's penalty for passing off track, Alonso copped one 2 races ago after he was run off the road by Kubica.

God you are right!

I never thought about it until now, Rubens got a clear advantage there and never gave him position back.

Yeah, I have changed my mind. The wrong man was punished, Schumacher was just doing him a favour!

#1322 Murphster

Murphster

• 225 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:26

Well theres heaps of pictures on the net now so why don't you show me just one where Schumacher has gone over the white line let alone touch it.....??

Amazing how many of the pictures on the net have had the width decreased to make it look closer than it actually is. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Outdone by your own cleverness.

Look at the picture again. Schumacher is clearly still turning towards the wall....

Edited by Murphster, 03 August 2010 - 06:27.

#1323 Jazza

Jazza

• 998 posts

Your kidding right?

If not, what photos do you think have been tampered with?

#1324 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,895 posts

Well theres heaps of pictures on the net now so why don't you show me just one where Schumacher has gone over the white line

Posted Image

You see Schumacher looking at their front wheels, so it is a calculated, cold-blooded move. At 290 kph any little inconsistency of the track can result in one of the cars getting thrown sideways, so even the photograph that you show as "proof" for Saint Schumacher´s innocence shows how insane the move was. Probably Michael will lose his superlicense if he pulls one more move like that.

#1325 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:45

You see Schumacher looking at their front wheels, so it is a calculated, cold-blooded move. At 290 kph any little inconsistency of the track can result in one of the cars getting thrown sideways, so even the photograph that you show as "proof" for Saint Schumacher´s innocence shows how insane the move was. Probably Michael will lose his superlicense if he pulls one more move like that.

Err no, the cars go down the straights quite steady actually, bumps and all.

Posted Image

I agree 100%, it was an insane move, what was Rubens thinking?

#1326 PoliFanAthic

PoliFanAthic

• 641 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:52

I reckon that white line is there to avoid the dangers of colliding with the wall - while Schumacher's move turned out to be dangerous, I don't see why one wouldn't call Barrichello's passing attempt reckless as well.

Schumacher should have moved over earlier, but if you watch an onboard clip you see that there's about one second since Barrichello gets alongside him with his front wheels before they reach the end of the wall. It's far easier to see and judge when you don't have to rely solely on the mirror and your instincts.

#1327 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:53

I struggle to understand how there can exist a single person who claims to be a Formula 1 fan and does not recognise how stupid and dangerous this move was. Honestly, what kind of fan of this sport wants to see moves like this? And to accuse Ruben's of whining? Oh my God, some people have no clue.

Whether you like it or not, Michael Schumacher has made the biggest mistake of his career coming back into F1, his already tarnished reputation has now been trashed even more by this move. There is no doubt it is fully deserved and his reputation will never recover from it.

Anyone on this forum who thinks this is okay will never get my respect ever in any future posts - take the blinkers off and join the real world.

:up:
For all the (justifiable) talk of Rubens as a whiner, he won this one by unanimous count. Big hearted pass, cold hearted and cynical by yesterday's man. Little old number two dished it to the old lion and showed who still has it. (clue - one of the drivers won last year, the other was a gokart driver and a motorbike crasher  ;) )

Thanks Michael for the memories and I'm sure Bernie was happy for you to increase the ratings with the fanboys. These are generally the sort of people who have little appreciation for the ethics of sport, just the stats please....

I have spoken with a number of F1 champions from earlier eras who almost to a man have no respect for the reckless disregard Schumie has for his fellow competitors, while appreciating we live in much safer times. For most of these people, the lack (relatively) of danger has blinded drivers to dangers that STILL exist. That danger was evident to most of us on Sunday. That would have been a very lethal situation if it went awry and to say there was plenty of room illustrates you haven't been in any situation remotely like that.

#1328 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:04

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Look at the picture again. Schumacher is clearly still turning towards the wall....

Which will make it supremely easy for you to show me a shot where his wheels touch the white line .......

Waiting .....

#1329 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:09

Which will make it supremely easy for you to show me a shot where his wheels touch the white line .......

Waiting .....

Sorry for my lack of attention to every post but the point of crossing the line was?

So Michael has reviewed it and agrees it was too hard a defence. That's as good an apology as we can expect and good on him, it was over the top move and very skillful on Rubens' part too. Michael like an old dog continuing to leave it's mark wherever it goes. I actually think there's going to be plenty more contact with the number 3 car this season.

Edited by Muz Bee, 03 August 2010 - 07:10.

#1330 peroa

peroa

• 8,835 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:10

via twitter:

Derek warick said on BBC radio this morning that they would have black flagged schumi if there were more laps left #f1

#1331 Number62

Number62

• 493 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:11

I don't think it's the IF which makes it not an apology, it's the FEEL (felt).

"I'm sorry you feel that way" is universally accepted to not be an apology, ask your wives. In fact it's antagonistic. It doesn't apologise for the act even conditionally, only the feeling it imparted.

"If I ruined your race" apologises for the act.

Subtle but important difference.

#1332 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:11

Schumi himself has admitted the move was too much, and this forum can still argue about it. Love it

#1333 Big Block 8

Big Block 8

• 2,423 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:12

It must be their life expectancy, Jackie Stewart attended 57 funerals of colleagues during his career!

Posted Image

Wow! What's the source for that? I tried to google but all I found was where he says "the amount of memorial services attended was ridiculous".

Edit: Found it!

http://www.timesonli...icle2983573.ece

Edited by Big Block 8, 03 August 2010 - 07:17.

#1334 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:21

Sorry for my lack of attention to every post but the point of crossing the line was?

MS stayed within the bounds of the track as he has a right to, another poster claimed he continued to go left and I can prove he didn't while that poster can not prove he did. I am asking for evidence he even arrived at the track border let alone crossed it.

There is no argument from me it was hard only debating on where and when the move finished and was held to which is paramount to the murder claims being flung around.

Bottom line 20 years ago this wasn't exactly an out there move and now we seem to have a bunch of pussies out there and if anything gets a little bit too much for them they complain like girls.

Harden the hell up!

via twitter:

Derek warick said on BBC radio this morning that they would have black flagged schumi if there were more laps left #f1

I think that would be wrong, black flags should be used for continuing incidents that are proving a constant threat such as oil leaking or continuous refusal by a backmarker to move over, swerving etc not for one singular incident - that has been dealt with appropriately for a change.

Edited by cheapracer, 03 August 2010 - 07:30.

#1335 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:23

This is F1 and it is dangerous sport. Last year Rubens almost kill Massa with a spring. From nowhere. I think remember other cars sliding along start finish wall with no problem?

#1336 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,203 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:24

via twitter:

Warwick is prejudiced because he has an incident with Schumi in the WSC in 91 which alwasy ended a fisticuffs. I think the FIA should not let be judge ex-drivers who has common races with the current drivers.

#1337 goat0063

goat0063

• 279 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:25

Err no, the cars go down the straights quite steady actually, bumps and all.

Posted Image

I agree 100%, it was an insane move, what was Rubens thinking?

Something along the lines of "still sub-human, Michael, I see....."

#1338 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,203 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:30

It seems from some angles that Rubens was closer to the wall than required ...

Posted Image

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

lol

If you watch this picture, in this point they left the end of the wall. Look the shadows...

The truth is on that point, where Schumi's right tyre was closest to the wall, the distance between the wall and the Mercedes was about 230-240 cm. The Williams is 180cm wide, so Bari has about 60 cm free space, which was tight, but enough.

That is racing.

20-25 years ago nobody would have cared about this...

Edited by Tarzaan, 03 August 2010 - 07:43.

#1339 ivand911

ivand911

• 8,152 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:31

AxisOfOversteer: Schumacher apologized ALMOST putting Barrichello in the wall, Senna NEVER apologized for actually putting Prost in the wall....

Advertisement

#1340 4L3X

4L3X

• 2,012 posts

Great post.

Enought said.

:up:
For all the (justifiable) talk of Rubens as a whiner, he won this one by unanimous count. Big hearted pass, cold hearted and cynical by yesterday's man. Little old number two dished it to the old lion and showed who still has it. (clue - one of the drivers won last year, the other was a gokart driver and a motorbike crasher ;) )

Thanks Michael for the memories and I'm sure Bernie was happy for you to increase the ratings with the fanboys. These are generally the sort of people who have little appreciation for the ethics of sport, just the stats please....

I have spoken with a number of F1 champions from earlier eras who almost to a man have no respect for the reckless disregard Schumie has for his fellow competitors, while appreciating we live in much safer times. For most of these people, the lack (relatively) of danger has blinded drivers to dangers that STILL exist. That danger was evident to most of us on Sunday. That would have been a very lethal situation if it went awry and to say there was plenty of room illustrates you haven't been in any situation remotely like that.

#1341 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,017 posts

"I'm sorry you feel that way" is universally accepted to not be an apology, ask your wives. In fact it's antagonistic. It doesn't apologise for the act even conditionally, only the feeling it imparted.

I thought that the "it was too hard" part apologised for the act. Then apologising for the way it made Rubens feel ws perfectly legitimate too, IMO. If he didn't intend for that to be how Rubens would take it then it's appropriate.

I thought it was a decent apology.

#1342 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,322 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:37

Warwick is prejudiced because he has an incident with Schumi in the WSC in 91 which alwasy ended a fisticuffs. I think the FIA should not let be judge ex-drivers who has common races with the current drivers.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

It isn't Warwick's sole decision. Let's just get this straight, he was convicted by the stewards and his peers, he's apologized for being a **** and you're STILL defending this????

#1343 gm914

gm914

• 6,046 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:39

Put the blind faith aside some of you!

Forget for a second that it's your favorite driver, who else was involved, if you can watch this & it seems a fair & justifiable way of racing to you, I don't want you on the same track as me...

If it happened to you on-track, you'd be thanking your lucky stars you were still alive, and be marching on up to the Stewards.
True?

#1344 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,883 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:43

Practically every single driver has had some incident with Schumacher. You think it's all THEIR fault?

#1345 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:48

I have spoken with a number of F1 champions from earlier eras who almost to a man have no respect for the reckless disregard Schumie has for his fellow competitors, while appreciating we live in much safer times.

Who? Name them. British I'm sure and nothing to do with the pamper for Graham Hill's son or the utter domination over every British team mate and British driver he has had.

I have spoken a number of times with Jones and he says Schumacher is simply the greatest and scoffs at these "incidents" and the fuss thats made out of them by the media - but then again Jones'ey is also a man's man well suited for real racing and a punch up or beer afterwards if required.

#1346 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:49

Posted Image

Kids everywhere suffered that day...:lol:

#1347 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:55

Put the blind faith aside some of you!

Forget for a second that it's your favorite driver, who else was involved, if you can watch this & it seems a fair & justifiable way of racing to you, I don't want you on the same track as me...

If it happened to you on-track, you'd be thanking your lucky stars you were still alive, and be marching on up to the Stewards.
True?

Not blind faith, some of you are simply naive living room experts.

Happens every weekend at hundreds of race tracks all around the world, this is only special because of that level that F1 holds - go to a Kart race or any race club day and see what goes on and don't even think about racing MX.

I want you on the same track as me though, you're a woose and will back out of a challenge and get a rep as a whiner in the pits - win win for me as I see it.

Edited by mel, 03 August 2010 - 08:18.
Better than being a scared little woosey whiner.

#1348 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:55

20-25 years ago nobody would have cared about this...

20-25 years ago Barrichello would have been even more likely to get killed if the cars had touched.

#1349 Rinehart

Rinehart

• 8,863 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:56

:rolleyes:

Try watching the other drivers.

#1350 razno

razno

• 82 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:56

Of course its coold blooded move. Its Schumacher. But, he did not look at Rubens wheels because he keep stering right, - he look because Rubens can start move to the left (or stop moving to the right - to wall - (before that last pictures). Schumacher is reckless, but is not fool to die. As far as rubens start to turn to left (after pits - avoiding grass - ms start too.)

I think RB played part in this too. I mean, he did it ballsy (if that is right word) but not too ballsy considering its MSC. He should stick to line and not giving a inch as far as he was on side of MSC (not only FW - MSC would clip it). They would interlock tyres and then MSC would give room. Why? he dont have good look where is wall as rubens. He didnt push when rubens stop to move to the wall...

MS only played to put some fear in Rubens to lift off, while rubens didnt respond is such maner - he try to pass it fair....

Im sure if there was a Hamilton, or Kubica - they would not get into that position. They would stop moving to wall at some point and even steer slightly to left.

Edited by razno, 03 August 2010 - 08:01.