Barrichello/Schumacher Incident

• Please log in to reply
1903 replies to this topic

#1801 black magic

black magic

• 3,861 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 00:46

he whispers very quietly

having watched that incident ... it wasnt THAT bad.

penalty more than matches the crime. stills from front on made it look worse as the tie against the wall was fleeting.

look he's apologised but he's schumacher so take the chance and make a big song and dance about it.

Advertisement

#1802 Kovalonso

Kovalonso

• 540 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 01:09

Not so sure about this one; Michael would be perfect for this job. He knows all the tricks :-)

Can't do.
A one line manifesto ?
- Don't do what I do.
 ;)

#1803 makef1better

makef1better

• 11 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:28

Can't do.
A one line manifesto ?
- Don't do what I do.
;)

It is possible; don't do what I have done. Don't drive like me in the past :-)

Edited by makef1better, 08 August 2010 - 07:28.

#1804 metz

metz

• 9,724 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 15:14

Not so sure about this one; Michael would be perfect for this job. He knows all the tricks :-)

I know of a bank that hired an ex-safecracker as head of security.
Worked out well for them.

#1805 TC3000

TC3000

• 1,021 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 18:45

another/additional point of view can be found here:

http://www.jamesalle...a-clearer-view/

I share a similar point of view to Andrew C.

I enjoyed watching two of the older drivers still having the fire to dice it out in the way they did.
And all that for one lousy point, it shows IMHO that they still have the fire, and that they still belong into F1.

I´m o.k. with the penality, it´s the FIA who calls the shots, and you have to draw the line somewhere. It was hard and dangerous, but it´s F1/motosport after all.
Different people have different perceptions of the limit, and that´s fine with me.

I applaud R.B. for his courage and skill, to pull of this move, but I don´t like the whinging afterwards, especially if he then claims, he had "fun".
So what R.B. do you have fun or do you cry murder? Can´t have it both IMHO? Don´t think it´s fun if you seriously fear for your life.
In my book it´s a move you can be proud of, and you can tell your kids about, and rightly so - so don´t be a pussy.
much foe - much glory

#1806 black magic

black magic

• 3,861 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 22:38

that was my impression having seen it late.

the amount of "time" rubens spends against the wall is a fraction of a moment rahter than been run along it for the straight.

then with BBC bringing up CAnada and massa(who ran into the back of legitimate close by schumacher) and kubica who never complained because there was no reall difference in either driver and you have the impression that the dice was loaded against him

then mr coulthard weighs in - the same guy who slows on the racing line in pooring rain to let another guy past and well the rest is history

nothing like a michael story for people to lose perspective

funny how a guy in 9th place generates as much hot air from all of us eh

#1807 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 23:56

that was my impression having seen it late.

the amount of "time" rubens spends against the wall is a fraction of a moment rahter than been run along it for the straight.

then with BBC bringing up CAnada and massa(who ran into the back of legitimate close by schumacher) and kubica who never complained because there was no reall difference in either driver and you have the impression that the dice was loaded against him

then mr coulthard weighs in - the same guy who slows on the racing line in pooring rain to let another guy past and well the rest is history

nothing like a michael story for people to lose perspective

funny how a guy in 9th place generates as much hot air from all of us eh

was that the same david coulthard that whiped out half the grid at the same race :rotfl:

#1808 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:40

Berger says Schumacher tactics commonplace in past

"We drove harder and more brutally," said the 50-year-old, a former teammate of the great Ayrton Senna.

"Three times a lap we drove each other into the walls without complaining. This was just part of it.

"We would have thought nothing of an action like Michael's against Barrichello,"

http://www.motorspor...p...81889&FS=F1

#1809 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,030 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 07:21

F1 has toned down since then. Cars, drivers, tracks. Thats the way it is.
In such cases, the "What if " pops up. Safety is paramount these days.

#1810 Jazza

Jazza

• 1,009 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:12

Unfortunately for Berger's comment, all of his races were televised in their entirely for all to see. Again unfortunately for him, those races do not show what he claims :rolleyes: .

For anyone who would believe Berger's outrageous boasts, one look at the responses to the Senna and Prost Portugal incident will show that pushing people to to the wall back then was not on even once, let alone three times per lap.

#1811 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,217 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:49

Finally somebody tell the truth about this move!

#1812 SimMaker

SimMaker

• 771 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:53

I see one sentence of possible truth, and two of Rose Tinted Specs.

#1813 screamingV16

screamingV16

• 233 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:55

Unfortunately for Berger's comment, all of his races were televised in their entirely for all to see. Again unfortunately for him, those races do not show what he claims :rolleyes: .

For anyone who would believe Berger's outrageous boasts, one look at the responses to the Senna and Prost Portugal incident will show that pushing people to to the wall back then was not on even once, let alone three times per lap.

Exactly, I can't think of any Berger moves where he put a car into a wall (apart from his Imola 89 accident :lol: ), anyone care to list them? The cars were far more dangerous in Berger's day and serious head injuries a real risk and drivers generally more respectful towards each other. Senna's edging Prost towards the pit wall at Estoril in 88 looks like child play these days, as does Prost's attempts to drive Senna off the road at the start of that race. However this was considered an exceptional incident at the time and was not an everyday occurrence. I can remember Berger having some rookie like accidents throughout his career where over ambitious overtaking manoeuvres (usually by him) failed. The rest is just a Berger fantasy.

#1814 screamingV16

screamingV16

• 233 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:56

No he deosn't, can you provide details or even youtube links of all the fantasy incidents that happened in Berger's day?

#1815 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,290 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:01

Yes for sure Berger would all make it up and just lie about things that happened during his racing career.

I see no reason for Berger to just make up a story but i suppose you do. I think you are taking his "3 times a lap" comment a bit to serious.

Edited by carbonfibre, 13 August 2010 - 10:02.

#1816 screamingV16

screamingV16

• 233 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:03

Yes for sure Berger would all make it up and just lie about things that happened during his racing career.

I see no reason for Berger to just make up a story but i suppose you do.

Ok then you can provide some examples of what he's talking about then, cos I can't think of any?

#1817 Just me

Just me

• 305 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:29

Ok then you can provide some examples of what he's talking about then, cos I can't think of any?

Didn't Berger run Mansell off the road once?

http://www.f1tube.ne...P-Mansell-spins

Wonder what happened to his grid penalty? :rolleyes:

#1818 screamingV16

screamingV16

• 233 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:35

Well done, thats one, now you need to find other two times it happened that lap and throughout his career - Berger claims this used to happen three times a lap! Besides looks like Mansell went for a gap that doesn't exist, it's not as though Berger swerved across the track to block him or Mansell was alongsde him. I thought most cars used to follow that line for Tosa on the old Imola circuit? I do remeber this one for Mansells epic story after the race about how he caught the spin :lol:

'Edit.....'

This vid shows the line the cars took to Tosa in 81 right at the beginning - looks similar to Berger's....

Edited by screamingV16, 13 August 2010 - 10:39.

#1819 Just me

Just me

• 305 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:50

Well done, thats one, now you need to find other two times it happened that lap and throughout his career - Berger claims this used to happen three times a lap! Besides looks like Mansell went for a gap that doesn't exist, it's not as though Berger swerved across the track to block him or Mansell was alongsde him. I thought most cars used to follow that line for Tosa on the old Imola circuit? I do remeber this one for Mansells epic story after the race about how he caught the spin :lol:

'Edit.....'

This vid shows the line the cars took to Tosa in 81 right at the beginning - looks similar to Berger's....

Maybe you should see which line Berger takes when he isn't being overtaken

It's obvious that Berger moved to the left earlier in 1990.

Advertisement

#1820 screamingV16

screamingV16

• 233 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:57

Maybe you should see which line Berger takes when he isn't being overtaken

It's obvious that Berger moved to the left earlier in 1990.

Maybe marginally so, yet a car would still not got past on his left in the vid you post, besides that's not the point more the claim by Berger that cars used to put each other into the wall 3 times a lap (Berger doesn't actually put Mansell in the wall anyway :p )

#1821 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,290 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:29

Also funny how the commentator (for those who understand german) says it's mansell's fault because Berger already went that line after the corner and he still tried to pass him.

#1822 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:37

It has happened a zillion times in F1 that an overtaking maneuver have ended in accidents or that someone has ended up off track. Do you really think the above compares 1 to 1 with the Rubens/Schumi incident?

#1823 as65p

as65p

• 17,310 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:48

Also funny how the commentator (for those who understand german) says it's mansell's fault because Berger already went that line after the corner and he still tried to pass him.

Yeah, back in the day the german commentators happily adopted anyone close enough as their man, preferably austrians. Understandably, because our own spearhead at that time was, wait for it.... Christian Danner! :drunk:

#1824 baddog

baddog

• 23,450 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:56

He didnt say people caused people to hit the walls, he said they put people into the wall in the sense that Michael put the Rube into the wall.. i.e. pushed them towards it.

Im not saying its true, Im saying that you should criticise what he was saying not what he was not.

#1825 Just me

Just me

• 305 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:05

It has happened a zillion times in F1 that an overtaking maneuver have ended in accidents or that someone has ended up off track. Do you really think the above compares 1 to 1 with the Rubens/Schumi incident?

Uh, where did i say that it compared 1 to 1? I certainly didn't ask where was Berger's 10 place grid penalty, did i?

Here's a better question, how can you reconcile your views that an overly aggressive defense of position by Schumacher that still ended up with him being overtaken is the worst thing that you've ever seen in F1, while Berger moving over on Mansell at high speed is apparently quite normal (since ending up off the track when pulling out to overtake happens a zillion times )?

#1826 frp

frp

• 351 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 13:31

I see no reason for Berger to just make up a story but i suppose you do. I think you are taking his "3 times a lap" comment a bit to serious.

I suspect that either the Tiroler Tageszeitung 'selectively' quoted him or, more probably, Gerhard just having fun, as usual. It wouldn't be the first time that he'd taken the piss out of a reporter's daft question.

#1827 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,290 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 13:36

I suspect that either the Tiroler Tageszeitung 'selectively' quoted him or, more probably, Gerhard just having fun, as usual. It wouldn't be the first time that he'd taken the piss out of a reporter's daft question.

That could be a possibility and we including myself would be looking foolish because we are debating about it, but i think he means it but people are taking the "three times a lap" comment a bit too literally.

#1828 majkel

majkel

• 249 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 15:19

Just look at Webber vs. Massa in 08.

Identical situation. I need to find a thread on this BB about that move.

And you can argue that situations were drivers did touch were more dangerous.

Just to point out that those situations were not identical - Massa was first to break the rules there because he actually went over the white line ON HIS OWN, so it was breaking the rules on both sides.

#1829 steveninthematrix

steveninthematrix

• 329 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 04:59

the Fuji 08 Webber Massa incident is almost identical to this incident....

the simple fact is this,

'the tallest tree catches the most wind'

and Michael has for years been the tallest tree..... yes, he pushed it too far...... but its F1 racing, not lawn tennis;

if Michael had actually hit Barrichello, or Barrichello had actually hit the wall; that is very different..... , but that didn't happen

#1830 man

man

• 1,301 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 06:05

I'm the biggest Berger fan around and I can visualise all of his races...but his memory has failed him here. There was roboust driving yes, driver did weave a little to defend their positions when exciting the pits on new tyres to defend their position but nothing as extreme as what we saw at the Hungaroring. Actually in 1992 at the same circuit Berger attempted to defend his position against Mansell and yes Berger squeezed Mansell towards the wall on the pit straight but again, nowhere near as extreme.

#1831 Simon Says

Simon Says

• 2,163 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:52

Except that Berger is taking the normal racing line, so it's not swerving :wave:

MS did however went off the racing line to push Rubens off the track ( which is were the white line ends )

#1832 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,269 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:37

Has it not occured to any of you that this might be Gerhard gently winding up a naive provincial journalist? It's a long tradition - a few weeks ago I found a 1930s interview with Major Goldie Gardner in the Miami News in which he claimed his home was in the village of Upper Tootingham ...

#1833 man

man

• 1,301 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:03

Has it not occured to any of you that this might be Gerhard gently winding up a naive provincial journalist? It's a long tradition - a few weeks ago I found a 1930s interview with Major Goldie Gardner in the Miami News in which he claimed his home was in the village of Upper Tootingham ...

Absolutely! Berger winding people up is nothing new ;-) The thing is Gerhard was the type of racer where if you tried to be rough he would stand his ground and simply brake later or get you back later... So rough driving is like water off a ducks back with him. When Senna tried to squeeze him at the first corner at Rio 1989 he warned the Brazilian afterwards that he (Berger) would never ever give up in such a situation hence the coming together. Needless to say nobody tried anything ott with Gerhard again including Senna. However being abtough racer in the mould of Keke and Gerhard and Nige is one thing but being absolutely carefree about another drivers life is something else ala M Schumacher at the Hungaroring.

#1834 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 16,933 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:20

You have to also consider, track action and cameras didn't pick up every bad or rough move in the 70s and 80s, and Berger did racing in the late 80s, not everything we saw was everything available to see back then! Now you got you tube, more cameras on tracks the works, plus no one dominated the scene as much as Schumacher did back then, so the spotllight being on MS doesn't help him hide his moves from everyone as alot of racers are sneey batmans, in the shadows, trying to get away with what they can as what is acceptable/not acceptable had more grey lines back then, and there's still a few grey lines that Schumi tends to find now and again to wake everyone one.

Except that Berger is taking the normal racing line, so it's not swerving :wave:

MS did however went off the racing line to push Rubens off the track ( which is were the white line ends )

Technicallly it was leave Rubens little room, push off track means there had to be contact. I personally found Damon Hill moving 3 times the line more dangerous for MS at Canada 98, because that was more difficult for the driver behind to adapt to and try to race, Damon was covering the whole track, any line he wanted, but at Hungary it's MS just leaving one side of the track open, which he should of closed off more early and Rubens had more options-like the other side of the track, something MS tried to do at Canada 3 times because Damon moved 3 TIMES THE LINE, HELLO!.. Alot depends on the driver, Damon Hill can get it wrong-but doing a dangerous move on MS seems more acceptable as MS has been seen as a tough racer, but actually Damon's move on MS at Canada 98 is more dangerous then anything MS has done.

MS gives the sport it's moments even in the bad season he has having, it's more to do with the person then the actual move/the spotlight/press media/driver cry baby dramatics frrom Woobens, helps shape the story for the press and it brainwashes fans in threads like this, it's more a basic misunderstaning of f1 present and past then actual Schumacher's fault sometimes. MS's fault was closing too late, that's it, and racing at high speed is going to be dangerous at points. Look at the Seb and Webber crash some races ago, it only takes a little bit of over aggression or miscaluation to go over the line and then you get 1000 plus posts on people trying to agree or not agree on what happened and over the years, things get frabicated because MS's mistakes as much as his success is more memorable then that 1 times champion Damon Hill who by the way just praised MS for overtaking him at Canaada 98 even though he moved 3 times the line on him on the straight, MS still got past.

Edited by SeanValen, 14 August 2010 - 11:46.

#1835 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 14:15

:rotfl: Sean Seanseanny.... 3 times?

sJeez what a criminal eh? I love Damon for that....

And here's a reminder of you memory: Canada 1998, where Schumacher exits the pits, crosses the Pit-out line, simply to eliminate Heinz Harald there in his Williams again .... (and he does have something with forcing Williams cars on his right side of the car eh?) and he pushes simply Heinz out of the race there. Deliberate. Check Patricks reaction at 2:18 towards the Ferrari wallcrew.

:clap: Go Damon, he had a history with Michael, remember? Are you whining about that? :wave:

Schumacher was wrong, there, and last GP as well. You simply do not push other cars into a wall with those speeds. Grass? Sure, but concrete walls? And face it, he eventually lost his real hard fought for 10th place there with only a couple laps left...Barichello still got past...... love it love it....

Edited by Frans, 15 August 2010 - 14:16.

#1836 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 22:30

:rotfl: Sean Seanseanny.... 3 times?

sJeez what a criminal eh? I love Damon for that....

And here's a reminder of you memory: Canada 1998, where Schumacher exits the pits, crosses the Pit-out line, simply to eliminate Heinz Harald there in his Williams again .... (and he does have something with forcing Williams cars on his right side of the car eh?) and he pushes simply Heinz out of the race there. Deliberate. Check Patricks reaction at 2:18 towards the Ferrari wallcrew.

:clap: Go Damon, he had a history with Michael, remember? Are you whining about that? :wave:

Schumacher was wrong, there, and last GP as well. You simply do not push other cars into a wall with those speeds. Grass? Sure, but concrete walls? And face it, he eventually lost his real hard fought for 10th place there with only a couple laps left...Barichello still got past...... love it love it....

you cant be serious? schumacher wouldnt even realise he was there until the last few seconds and frentzen had more than enough room

#1837 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 06:30

yeah sure, that's why Schumacherr crosses the yellow pit exit line eh?

get a life

#1838 Big Block 8

Big Block 8

• 2,423 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 07:22

yeah sure, that's why Schumacherr crosses the yellow pit exit line eh?

I had forgotten that one! How come there was no penalty? Wasn't crossing the lane forbidden??

#1839 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,338 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:14

Check the race report. Pretty sure there was a penalty

Also recall they didn't show the yellow lights end of pitlane to say there was a car coming which was usual procedure

Re bergers comments. I guess those that don't believe him saw every part of the circuit during his career.

Advertisement

#1840 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:22

It was a scandal back then as I recall it.

Schumi took his wife AND crashed him out of the Canadian GP, knowingly. Or Ferrari didn't tell him, but doesn't matter, because he knew, he took the race lane WAY to early to let it be an accident. Schumacher has the great ability to just "know" where his competitors are, he simply is that great, no? :lol:

Here's the wiki entry about this accident:

Heinz-Harald Frentzen vs Michael Schumacher

The accident involving Salo and Herbert sent out the safety car for a third time, and Michael Schumacher took advantage by making a pitstop. When he got back out and yellow flags were waved to show that there was to be no overtaking, Schumacher shot across to the other side of the track and sent Frentzen off the track and onto the grass as he tried to avoid the Ferrari. The Williams driver was thus knocked out of the Grand Prix.

No penalty, he won and could keep it. Oooh those good old dayz eh?

PS: Sean: Maybe they told Damon that Schumacher was on his ramming methods again, like 1994 and other seasons where Mickey and Damon had more of those tangles.... Maybe that's why he waved a bit to stop Schumi from overtaking him. (I recall later the FIA banned weaving and they made the one-time-weave rule, right?)

Edited by Frans, 16 August 2010 - 08:24.

#1841 Big Block 8

Big Block 8

• 2,423 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:32

If it was indeed forbidden to cross the pit lane yellow (and why wouldn't it) those stewards were bent beyond belief. Oh well, they were probably around in Silverstone 98 as well. :lol:

#1842 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,802 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 08:41

It was a scandal back then as I recall it.

Schumi took his wife AND crashed him out of the Canadian GP, knowingly. Or Ferrari didn't tell him, but doesn't matter, because he knew, he took the race lane WAY to early to let it be an accident. Schumacher has the great ability to just "know" where his competitors are, he simply is that great, no? :lol:

Here's the wiki entry about this accident:

As far as I can recall, didn't he get a drive through or stop&go for that one?

henri

Edited by Henri Greuter, 16 August 2010 - 08:42.

#1843 Big Block 8

Big Block 8

• 2,423 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:11

As far as I can recall, didn't he get a drive through or stop&go for that one?

Found a report - yes there was a 10 sec stop & go. Still pretty lenient I'd say.

#1844 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,338 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:40

I love it when people whinge about stuff and don't even know the full details and then they continue to whinge when myself and henri point out they are wrong and then still whinge when the finally look up to confirm what they have already been told and the penalty they complained wasn't gieven was in fact given!! Guess they will never be happy

#1845 Frans

Frans

• 7,701 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:54

yeah.. a stupid 10 sec stop and go penalty it was ... he should have been banned!!

#1846 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,802 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 10:26

Found a report - yes there was a 10 sec stop & go. Still pretty lenient I'd say.

Thanks for looking that up Big Block 8.
Winning a race by pushing one off...

I know that as a Ferrari supporter (I still was in those days) I had my reservations about it but also kenw that if MS didn't deliver, the season would become the runaway season as it hat started out for McLaren.
Mixed feelings then, nowadays I must admit that a black flag would have been appropriate.
But that would have been pretty much the end if it came to the exitement about the outcome of the season which FIA couldn't use.....
Not for the first time in history that punishment was not done or way too lenient for the sake of the championship....

Henri

#1847 Big Block 8

Big Block 8

• 2,423 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:26

Thanks for looking that up Big Block 8.
Winning a race by pushing one off...

I know that as a Ferrari supporter (I still was in those days) I had my reservations about it but also kenw that if MS didn't deliver, the season would become the runaway season as it hat started out for McLaren.
Mixed feelings then, nowadays I must admit that a black flag would have been appropriate.
But that would have been pretty much the end if it came to the exitement about the outcome of the season which FIA couldn't use.....
Not for the first time in history that punishment was not done or way too lenient for the sake of the championship....

Henri

Agreed, also the Silverstone 98 stewarding was pretty crap. Mosley era overall was terrible - it's interesting to see how the current FIA reign turns out in the end. So far IMO they've been ok, but then again they now have a lot of contenders for the title.

#1848 Henri Greuter

Henri Greuter

• 4,802 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:43

Agreed, also the Silverstone 98 stewarding was pretty crap. Mosley era overall was terrible - it's interesting to see how the current FIA reign turns out in the end. So far IMO they've been ok, but then again they now have a lot of contenders for the title.

Got to say that, no matter who would have done it at Silverstone, that was a great, excellent trick! And still entirely legal! Well done and perfectly executed
To me that made up for the rediculous events of 1994 when MS had to be punished because of driving ahead of the pole sitter during the warm-up lap.
Being punished for something while the race wasn't started yet! (And left unpunished on occasion for mishaps during the race....)
So I felt '98 to make up for the foolishness of '94.

Silversone '98 was more acceptable for me then Canada '98 and certainly far more hilarious and funny.

By the way, Balestre era was on occasion also pretty lousy and terrible, setting the standards for the Mosley Era.

Henri

#1849 Big Block 8

Big Block 8

• 2,423 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 13:06

Got to say that, no matter who would have done it at Silverstone, that was a great, excellent trick! And still entirely legal! Well done and perfectly executed
To me that made up for the rediculous events of 1994 when MS had to be punished because of driving ahead of the pole sitter during the warm-up lap.
Being punished for something while the race wasn't started yet! (And left unpunished on occasion for mishaps during the race....)

Silversone '98 was more acceptable for me then Canada '98 and certainly far more hilarious and funny.

By the way, Balestre era was on occasion also pretty lousy and terrible, setting the standards for the Mosley Era.

Henri

Silverstone 98 was certainly legal in a sense that FIA could do whatever they wanted and it still was always "legal".

IIRC they eventually added 10 seconds to Schumacher's final time which didn't affect the results at all, even though the penalty served properly would have netted in about 30 seconds of additional time. The stewards had delayed issuing the penalty so long that they broke the rules issuing the penalty, or whatever eyewash it was told afterwards. :drunk:

Wandering off topic now. Still it's funny to note that the bad old days indeed now feel like good old days!

#1850 SchumiBoy

SchumiBoy

• 1,261 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 13:08

Henri

Nothing happened at Silverstone '98.
The race was already over. Schumacher won with or without the added time penalty and in the end the penalty was rescinded because of a technicality and the original race result stood.