Photo

Barrichello/Schumacher Incident

• Please log in to reply
1903 replies to this topic

#151 Stibbich

Stibbich

• 7 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:20

It was a great fight, Formula One is not a child´s birthday. Those things were normal in the past, but today, 3/4 of the grid is full with sissys.

Advertisement

#152 EVO2

EVO2

• 754 posts

This was one of the worst incidents I can recall in recent years - principally because it was very dangerous, completely unnecessary ( because the Williams was so much faster ) but, worse, because it was a considered and deliberate move when Rubens was already alongside.

What on earth could MS have thought he was doing ?

As with other incidents throughout his career, Michael's explanation simply doesn't fit the facts

Edited by EVO2, 01 August 2010 - 14:22.

#153 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,255 posts

This was one of the worst incidents I can recall in recent years - principally because it was very dangerous, completely unnecessary ( because the Williams was so much faster ) but, worse, because it was a considered and deliberate move across when Rubens was already alongside.

What on earth could MS have thought he was doing ?

But only 3(?) laps was till the finish.

#154 mtknot

mtknot

• 716 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:21

massa did something just as insane on webber in 2008, at fuji which is tons quicker.

Edited by mtknot, 01 August 2010 - 14:21.

#155 mclarensmps

mclarensmps

• 3,841 posts

Ignoring the obvious troll OP, some of the responses in this thread make me question as to why some people even watch F1 at all...

#156 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

how do you "leave the outside open" for a driver who's already alongside you?

schumachers car was already drifting to that side before rubens went along side......

#157 Paul Prost

Paul Prost

• 745 posts

Comments in this thread suggest just how bad 'racing' in F1 has become...

..and much of it can be down to the actions of Michael Schumacher over the past two decades.

It's just the same old Schuey chop...and like against Hakkinen in Spa in 2000...he's lucky he didn't seriously injure/kill someone.

The stewards should have punished him years ago.

#158 goat0063

goat0063

• 279 posts

Were do you think MS gets his infuences from.

Carl Edwards.

#159 mani1

mani1

• 82 posts

Freeze the frames on the video and see for yourself then. "Technically" Schumacher keeps moving over when Barrichello is inside of him.

Freeze the frames on the same video and you will see that Schumacher was ahead. Since he was ahead he is allowed to make on blocking move which he did towards the right. That is not squeezing. That is a perfectly legal move. Whats illegal is what RB did by moving over the pit lane exit line, moving extremely close to the wall endangering the pitlane exit and Schumacher

Advertisement

#160 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:22

It was a great fight, Formula One is not a child´s birthday. Those things were normal in the past, but today, 3/4 of the grid is full with sissys.

Past for you is yesterday for me. Past for me is probably before you were born and in those times things like this were considered abnormal.

#161 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Well, Schumacher's move didn't have anything technically illegal in it. However it was quite extreme and it can probably be considered dangerous driving, as dangerous driving is in the eye of the beholder, so....... If it were up to me, I'd penalize him, but then, if I were driving his car I would have done the same thing lol

#162 mtknot

mtknot

• 716 posts

Ignoring the obvious troll OP, some of the responses in this thread make me question as to why some people even watch F1 at all...

the troll is the one who gets emotionally involved with the snowball effect of the schumacher hate.

#163 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

I thought MS went WAY OTT with that one, it was some dirty shit... but to be fair I think Barrichello did almost as bad in Brazil last year.. anyone remember with whom?

#164 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:23

The most serious deliberate incident I have seen in almost 50 years of watching and taking part in motor sport, it could very easily have been a replay of the 1955 Le Mans. The best outcome would be a life time ban for Schumacher.

#165 SparkPlug

SparkPlug

• 491 posts

what did he say

Already replied, check my previous post.. Its not exactly what the conversation was, but that was the gist of it

#166 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 24,452 posts

I do not like that either, but all that is allowed in current rules. Perhaps the rules can be updated so that guys on track cannot cross the white line either, just like guys exiting the pitlane.

I'd agree with that - but do you seriously think Rubens had a choice?

#167 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,255 posts

It was a hard move, but that is racing. We see similar things from Raikonnen & Webber too from the past some years.

Barichello was very optimistic, because there was no room. He should have to thank to MS to help him and goes left.

#168 mogens18

mogens18

• 4 posts

I say that Barrichello should be banned for what he did to Schumacher while overtaking.

FACTS

1)Schumacher had one legal move to cross and block, which he did. You can cross 1cm or 10 meters, its your say and its legal.

2)Barrichello saw that he had no room but he still tried to get past the pit lane entry line and grass and almost nearly took Schumacher out. Schumacher had to move to left to save himself.

3)Any other driver could have immediately moved to left and overtake Schumi making a clean and a very good overtaking move but Barrichello had some grudges against Schumi.

This is a sad day today. I say we all write a petition to FIA to heavily reprimand Barrichello and ban him for a couple of races so he does not do this again

I hope Schumacher will be excluted in the next race :down:

#169 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:24

Freeze the frames on the video and see for yourself then. "Technically" Schumacher keeps moving over when Barrichello is inside of him.

That always happens though, the cars have a certain momentum and they can only change direction so quickly.

#170 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,562 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:24

The most serious deliberate incident I have seen in almost 50 years of watching and taking part in motor sport, it could very easily have been a replay of the 1955 Le Mans. The best outcome would be a life time ban for Schumacher.

Too bad you missed that one. Or Kubica's move this year. Or....

#171 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:25

Schumacher is a health hazard. His move on Rubens deserves a grid penalty for the next race.

#172 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

It was a super hard move by MS but he went straight for the inside, except that Rubens showed balls of steel and didn't back off. This is exactly the kind of racing i want to see more, not less of. Guys putting it all on the line. Spectacle. Danger. Burnt rubber. Yeah!

Respect to Rubens, big cojones!

:up:

Besides, there hasn't been a fatality in F1 on race weekend in over 16 years. The sport's long overdue of that spectacle!

/sarcasm

#173 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,535 posts

I seem to remember Derek Warwick being taken out of a Group C race by a young Schumacher not long after his brother sadly died in a race, his take on that move should be interesting....

#174 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:26

I'd agree with that - but do you seriously think Rubens had a choice?

was his accelerator stuck on full throttle?

#175 eriknaa

eriknaa

• 34 posts

Michael VS Rubens

Mchael really showed his determination to keep that place.
He was on the inside of the pitwall, to protect his place, long before rubens was beside him. As Michael tried to get rubens to the other side of the track.
But rubens descided to stick with it, his choice, it was definetly to worse than webber vs massa at fuji.
Very Hard Racing, but fair.

#176 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,747 posts

massa did something just as insane on webber in 2008, at fuji which is tons quicker.

True, it's more or less 1:1. I wasn't a fan of it then and I'm not a fan now.
Back then the FIA did not take action. Now they probably will..

#177 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:27

Schumacher is a health hazard. His move on Rubens deserves a grid penalty for the next race.

he deserves the same penalty others who did the same this eason got.

nothing

#178 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,613 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:27

Classsic Chop Schumi! But does he really need to do this sort of thing as his age?

#179 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,255 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:28

I say that Barrichello should be banned for what he did to Schumacher while overtaking.

FACTS

1)Schumacher had one legal move to cross and block, which he did. You can cross 1cm or 10 meters, its your say and its legal.

2)Barrichello saw that he had no room but he still tried to get past the pit lane entry line and grass and almost nearly took Schumacher out. Schumacher had to move to left to save himself.

3)Any other driver could have immediately moved to left and overtake Schumi making a clean and a very good overtaking move but Barrichello had some grudges against Schumi.

This is a sad day today. I say we all write a petition to FIA to heavily reprimand Barrichello and ban him for a couple of races so he does not do this again

Correct.

Advertisement

#180 mkoscevic

mkoscevic

• 652 posts

was his accelerator stuck on full throttle?

Yep. Rubens had a great chance to pass Schumacher with 2.5sec faster car, do you really think he would miss that one?! :p

#181 Lada Lover

Lada Lover

• 4,112 posts

I want RB to punch MS in the face. Then ban MS from F1.

#182 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

It was an aggressive move,but what made it look much worse from the outside (and not the onboard) was that the Merc was much slower than the Williams at that point. When he began to move to the right RB was behind him but got his nose in very quickly,at which point MS abruptly moved back onto the racing line. Don't even see what's illegal here.

All I can say is that if you invited drivers like Webber,Hamilton,Vettel,Kubica and even Alonso to come read some of the comments they'd be rolling on the floor laughing. Wimps.

#183 Ashitank

Ashitank

• 394 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:29

+1 :up:

#184 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,314 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:29

Really ugly move but the interview on the BBC was disgusting. As Rubens said, after his retirement he came back and do this.

Edited by kosmos, 01 August 2010 - 14:31.

#185 Menace

Menace

• 12,390 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:30

Waaaahhhh!! :rotfl:

#186 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,828 posts

Button agrees, Schumacher allowed Rubens to pass on the left. One move across the track, so it's legal.

Obviously if Rubens had gone left Schumacher would probably have blocked left and made 2 moves, but he did not... he made one move to the right.

#187 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,562 posts

The rules allow what Michael did. Maybe the rules need a change.

http://twitpic.com/2aorxz

Very hard, but a penalty is idiotic based on what is allowed in F1.

But the Schumi haters have a field day.

Edited by Diablobb81, 01 August 2010 - 14:31.

#188 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:31

Freeze the frames on the same video and you will see that Schumacher was ahead. Since he was ahead he is allowed to make on blocking move which he did towards the right. That is not squeezing. That is a perfectly legal move. Whats illegal is what RB did by moving over the pit lane exit line, moving extremely close to the wall endangering the pitlane exit and Schumacher

Whatever. You are entitled to your opinion. Schumacher continues to move over after Barrichello has his front wheels inside of Schumacher. According to how the overtaking regulations are phrased and hav been implemented in the past, from that point, the onus is on Schumacher to leave enough room for the other car to travel safely.

Art. 2 Appendix L Sporting Regulations
However, manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such
more than one change of direction to defend a position,
deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or
any other abnormal change of direction, are strictly prohibited.

#189 RemcoB

RemcoB

• 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:31

Technically there's probably nothing wrong with Schumacher's move. You'd expect a touch more class from a seven times World Champion though.

#190 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:32

Button agrees, Schumacher allowed Rubens to pass on the left. One move across the track, so it's legal.

Obviously if Rubens had gone left Schumacher would probably have blocked left and made 2 moves, but he did not... he made one move to the right.

So if I make one move and force the other guy to the wall, its legal right?

#191 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,672 posts

This is what I would like to call Schumacher's "DC" moment.

The point at which you realise that a driver with a proud career is no longer operating on the level required to be in Formula 1.

That move was too late and too far.

#192 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

No freaking way did he leave enough room. The fact that the pit wall ended just in time was the only thing that saved Rubens from a massive accident. The worst part is MS planned it. You could see him looking at the right hand mirror all through the incident.

suddenly these mirrors give you a great view behind your car?

isnt it amazing how every driver and martin brundle always goes on about how worthless the mirrors are , but suddenly its schumacher so they obviously work 100%.

#193 carbonfibre

carbonfibre

• 6,295 posts

"This is F1," Schumacher told Italian television RAI when questioned about his move.

"I think I left him too much room because he passed."

I really like this one. Come on people this isn't kindergarten playground. Schumacher left enough room and he didn't run rubens into the wall, he made it close and that was it. There is a big difference between what people think is a morally legal move or a actual legal move.

It would surprise me if the FIA will punish Michael now because many people (including himself) have done this before and didn't get punished.

No freaking way did he leave enough room. The fact that the pit wall ended just in time was the only thing that saved Rubens from a massive accident. The worst part is MS planned it. You could see him looking at the right hand mirror all through the incident.

So Michael made it very hard for Rubens but he didn't run him into the wall because it ended and Michael knew that. Don't suggest things that didn't happen.

Edited by carbonfibre, 01 August 2010 - 14:33.

#194 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,399 posts

Schumacher should be banned for the next race for that.

#195 Talking Point

Talking Point

• 201 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:33

what did he say

Basically he dissed Rubens, suggesting he's always moaning etc...

#196 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,255 posts

Schumacher: "I think I left him too much room because he passed."

Very true.

#197 robefc

robefc

• 8,091 posts

You must have watched a different interview to me, button was just laughing at how ridiculous Schumie's expalnation was

#198 rad787

rad787

• 679 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:34

Exactly. Rubens such a WHINER.

#199 primer

primer

• 6,664 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:35

So if I make one move and force the other guy to the wall, its legal right?

As long as there is enough room for the other car and no accidents, yes its legal. Although obviously fraught with danger and great potential for accident.

Advertisement

#200 Cheap Wine Alesi

Cheap Wine Alesi

• 2,723 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 14:36

Schumacher: "I think I left him too much room because he passed."

Very true.

That shows how F'cked in the head he is. He will cause a huge crash this year, lets hope he will not cause anyone else to have an injury.