Photo

Barrichello/Schumacher Incident

• Please log in to reply
1903 replies to this topic

#301 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:13

Barrichello choose to go to the inside because he knew that the driver in front must leave enough room on the inside for him not to leave the track. If overtaking drivers would race on the assumption that the guy in front will do something illegal to defend his position, there would be no attempts to overtake.

Advertisement

#302 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,765 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:13

Cut the shit man. Rubens didn't start the overtake move from where your first photo shows. Why don't you show a few previews moments where Rubens got along side him while they where in the middle of the track. ;)

They're not my photos actually, I quoted someone else. In fact the post I quoted was blaming Schumacher... so I think those photos are pretty good reference.

#303 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:14

This is the fact that has to be kept in mind.

I reckon Schumacher could've chosen a safer approach to that defense, he even should have, but similar maneuvers have occured in the last few years alone and nothing happened.

But of course, it being Schumacher, there's bound to be a penalty.

people are always saying they want some constitency but yea its schumacher so it doesnt matter nail him to a pitboard and stick him on the wall

#304 robefc

robefc

• 7,983 posts

There wasn't space. The race track ends at that white line, Rubens chose to go that close to the wall when he got across that white line.

Like I said had it been grass he wouldn't have been there he would have lifted... Off track is off track whether it's tarmac, grass or water.... it's off track. He shouldn't have tried to pass inside Schumacher off track.

No he didn't, if schumi went in a straight line there would have been more room between his car and the wall, rubens had to move closer to the wall because schumi moved over, as you've said yourself.

#305 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

From the pics it seems obvious Rubens is at fault since he chose to go off the track just to overtake Schumi. The left part was free for the taking but he chose to go off track.

Rubens was squeezed into that position... when he first got alongside there was enough room.

Trying to keep cool here, but are you MS fanboys that clueless about racing?

#306 JVi

JVi

• 36 posts

it being Schumacher, there's bound to be a penalty.

Yep, hand in hand just like flies and crap.

#307 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:15

The bias shumi fans wanna know how dangerous that move was? lets see what happened in the Superleague Formula at brands today when someone was squeezed hard, injuries are "just" are badly broken leg/ankle. this is why shueys move was dangerous.

#308 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:15

arent they those same mirrors drivers have been saying are useless for years?

guess you know more than us though seeing as you are an f1 driver

I know more than you alright.

#309 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:17

Closest similar example from memory is actually lewis overtaking rubens in brazil last year.

ah so that was Hamilton?

I remember Barrichello doing a dirty squeeze in Brazil last year, to be fair here.

#310 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,433 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:18

Schumacher on Hill, Schumacher on Hakkinen, Schumacher on Villeneuve...

actually, his chop on hakkinnen was scary because of the speed but it needs to be understood that as bad as putting someone off the track is, at least they have somewhere to go. You push them into the wall and they're screwed. Wheels are folded back into the cockpit or they go over the pitwall, the debris goes right into the pitlane which was thankfully empty. Can you imagine the carnage of someone leaving the pits being speared by a wheeless, out of controll williams at 180mph?

Oh and yeah, bear in mind that manouvre took place at 180MPH!!!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#311 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:19

From the pics it seems obvious Rubens is at fault since he chose to go off the track just to overtake Schumi. The left part was free for the taking but he chose to go off track.

At this point Rubens is commited to the inside, the cars are overlapped.
Rubens went over the white line only because he was pushed there.

Posted Image

#312 Touti

Touti

• 341 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:21

Schumacher's move was stupid, reckless and dangerous and he should be punished for it but life time ban, 36 races ban, 1 race ban ????? Come on people, get a grip on reality.

Nikko's wheel bouncing around could have killed someone on the spot and yet I don't see anyone demanding that Mercedes or the mechanic who changed that wheel gets banned for life.

#313 RedBaron

RedBaron

• 2,765 posts

At this point Rubens is commited to the inside, the cars are overlapped.
Rubens went over the white line only because he was pushed there.

Posted Image

At the angle they are directing in in that photo, they are not interlocked. The wheels are free of each other entirely, Rubens could have backed off and within half a second the incident would be over. He could have probably even passed on the exit of turn one when Schumacher would run wide on the dirty line.

#314 Malmedy

Malmedy

• 33 posts

I reckon the ladies here complaining about "lack"of space have never dared to watch a full race in Monaco or Montreal, since there is a lot off wall kissing involved in both.... :)

#315 Motormedia

Motormedia

• 2,024 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:22

At the angle they are directing in in that photo, they are not interlocked. The wheels are free of each other entirely, Rubens could have backed off and within half a second the incident would be over. He could have probably even passed on the exit of turn one when Schumacher would run wide on the dirty line.

Should Barrichello assume that he will be squeezed?

#316 robefc

robefc

• 7,983 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:23

I reckon the ladies here complaining about "lack"of space have never dared to watch a full race in Monaco or Montreal, since there is a lot off wall kissing involved in both.... :)

:rotfl:

internet tough guy, got to love it

#317 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

If MS receives a penalty for even making contact,I guess this guy (KK) ought to be burnt alive? :p

http://il.youtube.co...feature=related

Just goes to show how clueless and biased the hater bandwagon is. Short,selective memory + excuse to bash.

#318 iakhtar

iakhtar

• 182 posts

There are alot of ladies in here arent there? :lol:

#319 Boing 2

Boing 2

• 2,433 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:25

Also, Schumacher was slap bang in the middle of the track when Barrichello made his move. THEN he continued to move accross when he saw Rubens coming.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Advertisement

#320 Lada Lover

Lada Lover

• 4,091 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:25

Any guesses how far that tire is from the wall? The tire shadow is pretty high up the wall. The track is laid out wrong if a car doing 320 kph can enter the pit exit lane without iether car driver being able to see the other car. An accident waiting to happen.

#321 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:26

I know more than you alright.

you do?
want to meet me in the pitlane at spa?

#322 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

There are alot of ladies in here arent there? :lol:

I'd say calling them women would be an insult to the fair sex. Some women are just as ballsy...er,gutsy.....when they're racing.

#323 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 545 posts

No freaking way did he leave enough room. The fact that the pit wall ended just in time was the only thing that saved Rubens from a massive accident. The worst part is MS planned it. You could see him looking at the right hand mirror all through the incident.

i noticed this too, you could see him looking in the visor and cutting in a bit late. he should have made the chop earlier. good move by barrichello, bad race all in all though.

#324 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

If MS receives a penalty for even making contact,I guess this guy (KK) ought to be burnt alive? :p

http://il.youtube.co...feature=related

Just goes to show how clueless and biased the hater bandwagon is. Short,selective memory + excuse to bash.

people with no defence try and attack others to distract from the fact that they have nothing to back up their case. I'll stop trolling now. :p

Edited by olliek88, 01 August 2010 - 15:27.

#325 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:28

Curious why RB didn't have to give the position back then...

#326 ffiloseta

ffiloseta

• 2,212 posts

He, he, heeee. :rotfl:

After a long time without posting to these fori, I come back only to see that while things have surely changed, they are now more of the same.

Come on, there are still so many Schumacher haters after three years? Damn, the guy is GOOD :lol:

See, this thread is surely not about the chop itself, but that it was done by its creator, MS. I didn't see so much flak around Vettel's maneuver last race, even if it was arguably worse.

Barrichello is a whiner. Always have been.

Massa's gaffe last week only reopened his wounds, I guess. Come on, these are his comments about today ? "I have a lot of experience and usually with a crazy guy like that I would lift off, but not today, absolutely not"

When he saw himself faster than MS and in position to pass, I guess all his life at Ferrari flashed by and he stopped being an F1 driver, to let himself be taken by road rage. He, he, hee , a race driver with road rage. Go figure.

About the move itself, others in this thread have stated the facts clearly. I won't repeat them, but the bottom line is that if Burrinho had kept his temper, he would have passed on the right. End of story.

Now let the flaming begin :wave:

#327 Tarzaan

Tarzaan

• 1,203 posts

The bias shumi fans wanna know how dangerous that move was? lets see what happened in the Superleague Formula at brands today when someone was squeezed hard, injuries are "just" are badly broken leg/ankle. this is why shueys move was dangerous.

I don't understand you. This accident in the video was clearly the hinder cars fault. He has to see he has not enough room.

Barichello also should see that:

Posted Image

(in this point Barichello was behind Schumi)

#328 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Nostalgia Forum Moderator

• 23,838 posts

Add Alex Wurz to that list of drivers - and he's not holding anything back!

#329 SilentKiller

SilentKiller

• 646 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:29

Posted Image

The 1st pic above proves the Schumi knew where Rubens was......look at his helmet, he is looking towards his right at the Williams.

#330 Slowinfastout

Slowinfastout

• 9,681 posts

you do?
want to meet me in the pitlane at spa?

You're the guy who says MS clearly uses his mirrors despite them being useless?

Would you take a plane to meet me in person?

lol, smacktardism at its best

#331 BRK

BRK

• 3,474 posts

people with no defence try and attack others to distract from the fact that they have nothing to back up their case. I'll stop trolling now. :p

What? Kobayashi actually made contact,pushed someone off track,and the driver in question (also a Williams,amusingly) had a bad accident (nearly resulting in a 'horrific accident',I suppose)-he wasn't penalized for that,was he?

#332 bonjon1979

bonjon1979

• 1,117 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:30

I can't believe people are trying to defend that move. Schumacher should be banned, end of.

#333 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,796 posts

Alex Wurz is on the BBC Player right now. He is STEAMING. "Not what I expect from a 7x world champion to show the world. Over the line in my opinion...there are some lines you shouldn't cross, he crossed it..." Referred to it as potentially being fatal. Suggest Schumacher should see a doctor and have his licence revoked. :eek:

#334 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 13,101 posts

10 place penalty
Jp

#335 DFV

DFV

• 1,193 posts

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/85795

Schumacher just lives in a bubble of his own with no contact with the real world...

How he has the nerve:

"We know certain drivers have certain views and then there is Rubens," said Schumacher, speaking to the BBC.

He will soon find out that most drivers actually agree with Rubens on this one and, again, MS finds himself alone with his views and selfrighteousness. A padded cell springs to mind ;)

Edited by DFV, 01 August 2010 - 15:32.

#336 ensign14

ensign14

• 36,796 posts

10 place grid drop confirmed. Not enough.

#337 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:31

I don't understand you. This accident in the video was clearly the hinder cars fault. He has to see he has not enough room.

Barichello also should see that:

Posted Image

(in this point Barichello was behind Schumi)

im not talking about how the incident happened but the potentially very dangerous consequences.

#338 CoolFiltered

CoolFiltered

• 1,036 posts

Add Alex Wurz to that list of drivers - and he's not holding anything back!

He certainly wasn't holding back, questioning whether Schumey needs glasses, or indeed whether he should have a superlicence.

#339 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,700 posts

Alex Wurz absolutely slating Schumacher.

EDIT: Schumi dropped 10 places for next race.

Advertisement

#340 katmen

katmen

• 570 posts

10 place penalty in spa

#341 bond

bond

• 2,554 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:32

Posted Image

:eek:
He misses the wall for a few cms...

#342 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

That may or may not be a valid view, I was responding to the poster who said that Rubens committed to going off track when making his move.
My concern was that, later, Schumacher came within inches of giving Barrichello a choice of hitting him or hitting the wall.
That is not acceptable, IMHO.

#343 peroa

peroa

• 8,805 posts

He should've been given a 1-2 race ban. 10 grid places lost, big deal, he's already out of the points most of the time.

#344 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

What? Kobayashi actually made contact,pushed someone off track,and the driver in question (also a Williams,amusingly) had a bad accident (nearly resulting in a 'horrific accident',I suppose)-he wasn't penalized for that,was he?

you can't defend schuey so your trying to attack others instead, why bring that up if schuey was in the right.

#345 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:33

Schumacher is a certified madman. He's lucky he just got a 10 place grid penalty. His move against Rubens was way over the line. :down:

#346 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

You're the guy who says MS clearly uses his mirrors despite them being useless?

Would you take a plane to meet me in person?

lol, smacktardism at its best

where did i say he uses his mirrors? i said the mirrors dont offer much visibility. its a very narrow field of view he might have been trying to figure out where rubens was.

you said you know more about f1 than me without knowing who i am.

i can gladly meet you in the pitlane at any race you choose and you can tell me all about f1 over a drink :wave:

#347 CoolFiltered

CoolFiltered

• 1,036 posts

10 place penalty in spa

He's been let off pretty leniently, it remains to be seen whether schumey will heed the lesson.

#348 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,453 posts

If they will enforce the same rules from now on then the penalty is ok (but i doubt it). The next driver who will do this, if he's not Schumi, will not be even be investigated. ;)

Edited by Diablobb81, 01 August 2010 - 15:34.

#349 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,655 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:34

A padded cell springs to mind ;)

I prefer to be alone thanks! :rotfl:

#350 peroa

peroa

• 8,805 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:34

MikeGascoyne
Michael got a 10 place grid penalty. Have to say for me should have been a one race ban