• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,491 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:19

JRobertsF1
FIA statement just in: Renault are fined $50,000 for the unsafe release of Kubica in their pitstop
8 minutes ago via web

JRobertsF1
Another FIA statement just in: Mercedes fined $50,000 for the unsafe release of Nico Rosberg. $100,000 and counting for the FIA...
1 minute ago via web

Incredibly unsurprising in my view given the fact that the latter could have ended a lot worser....

EDIT: Schumacher given 10 place grid penalty for Belgium as announced on BBC F1 Forum.

Edited by D.M.N., 01 August 2010 - 15:31.

Advertisement

#2 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,820 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:20

They sure love that money! :lol:

#3 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:22

Whew! For a second there I thought the $50K was for MS's move on RB...

#4 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:23

Of course the money won't go to charities of course...

#5 lokiman

lokiman

• 1,706 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:25

I'm a bit surprised with regard to the Renault release. As outrageous as I thought the release was at the time, having rewatched it via the BBC replays, it looks to me like the Renault lollipop man spotted Nico's wheel flying off in the direction of the Renault pit and got distracted/spooked.

#6 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:26

2 penalties for 1 situation? What is this?!?

#7 bond

bond

• 2,554 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:28

2 penalties for 1 situation? What is this?!?

you mean 2 situations... :cool:

#8 barteks

barteks

• 2,329 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:30

And where is penalty for Schumacher?

#9 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:31

No surprise there both situations were clumsy, avoidable and dangerous. :up:

#10 kosmos

kosmos

• 11,875 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:32

Nico incident with the tyre bouncing was very very dangerous. Kubica release was stupid.

#11 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,756 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:33

Fair enough for Mercedes, an honest mistake.

I think Renault got off lightly though. They stopped Sutil from scoring points. They should have had a points deduction. Otherwise everyone could do that to gain WCC positions...

#12 Hippo

Hippo

• 2,378 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:37

you mean 2 situations... :cool:

Did they release him unsafely twice? Must have missed that. Can only remember the situation where they released Bobby which caused the accident half a second later.

#13 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:38

I think Renault got off lightly though. They stopped Sutil from scoring points. They should have had a points deduction. Otherwise everyone could do that to gain WCC positions...

I don't agree. Renault's penalty was fully deserved and fair (remember that he also got 10s stop&go). Mercedes' penalty was too light. That wheel could kill someone. Did you see that Sauber's mechanic ?? It was close.

#14 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:47

I just saw video of that, and it's one of the dumbest things I've witness in F1. Even if Sutil was pitting directly in front of him, Kubica still would have ran into the side of Sutil driving out into the pitlane...

How 'bout instead of a points deduction, Renault is just not allowed to pit theirs cars at the next race?

Edited by Tolyngee, 01 August 2010 - 15:48.

#15 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,756 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:48

I don't agree. Renault's penalty was fully deserved and fair (remember that he also got 10s stop&go). Mercedes' penalty was too light. That wheel could kill someone. Did you see that Sauber's mechanic ?? It was close.

Yes, and we don't know why the wheel came off, it might have been an unforeseeable machining fault that could not have been noticed. Whereas releasing someone into the path of a competitor is VERY obivous. Plus, Renault's mistake actually HAD an effect on the race, it destroyed an innocent Force India's chances of scoring points.

#16 eoin

eoin

• 5,015 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:55

And two cars crashing into each other a few metres away from dozen's of people wasn't dangerous? Renault were trying to gain an advantage by doing an ILLEGAL release. TBF a lot of this is down to the stewards not doing there job as they haven't been punishing illegal releases this year even though there has been a number of them.

#17 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 15:59

And two cars crashing into each other a few metres away from dozen's of people wasn't dangerous? Renault were trying to gain an advantage by doing an ILLEGAL release. TBF a lot of this is down to the stewards not doing there job as they haven't been punishing illegal releases this year even though there has been a number of them.

It was dangerous and it was penalised. However, a flying wheel is far more dangerous (in my opinion).

#18 Jimisgod

Jimisgod

• 4,954 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 16:01

I'm a bit surprised with regard to the Renault release. As outrageous as I thought the release was at the time, having rewatched it via the BBC replays, it looks to me like the Renault lollipop man spotted Nico's wheel flying off in the direction of the Renault pit and got distracted/spooked.

:up: :up: I thought so too after seeing the replays. That wheel was bouncing like nothing on earth, I'm amazed more people weren't distracted; tyres have been responsible for the last two deaths in F1.

#19 Palmero

Palmero

• 296 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 16:05

Seem pretty harsh, Reprimand for both incidents would have done it i think, one was a really difficult call for the lolipop man, the other could have been penalized depending on the specifics, but $50k seems really high.

Advertisement

#20 eoin

eoin

• 5,015 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 16:14

It was dangerous and it was penalised. However, a flying wheel is far more dangerous (in my opinion).

There is NO advantage in releasing a car with 3 tyres while there certainly is an incentive to release a car right in front of another car. IF the only punishment for an illegal release is $50k then teams will continue to do it.

#21 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 16:16

would have been funny to see nicos wheel come off in the same place as alonso last year if he made it out.

haunted evil track that gobbles up wheels maybe???

#22 f1seb

f1seb

• 1,545 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 16:18

So how about that whenever there is a crash between 2 competing cars anywhere on the circuit lets just start deducting points from teams who are deemed responsible for the crash........so silly and absurd. 50k punishment is enough.

#23 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 8,183 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 16:18

renault cant afford 50k!!! (they had to ask uncle bernie if they could get their allowance early this year.. he said no.) :rotfl:

#24 billfenner1967

billfenner1967

• 129 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 16:21

That's a sweet $200,000 in a week for the FIA, isn't it? $100K off Ferrari last week for their switcheroo act, and then two hits of $50K a piece today for Renault and Merc. Wonder if they'll give all that to charity.  ;)

#25 Tolyngee

Tolyngee

• 1,352 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 16:26

Then why didn't he put out his arms and catch it before it hit somebody!?

#26 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 16:32

Wonder if they'll give all that to charity. ;)

Pigs would fly first mate lol

#27 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 16:32

There is NO advantage in releasing a car with 3 tyres while there certainly is an incentive to release a car right in front of another car. IF the only punishment for an illegal release is $50k then teams will continue to do it.

You are wrong. The penalty wasn't for illegal release. It has already happened many times this season. They were penalised for causing a collision. It's not about getting illegal advantage or not. It's about causing dangerous situation by releasing a driver right into another car and causing extremaly dangerous situation involving a flying wheel in a pitlane full of people. Wheels are responsible for more deaths in F1 than cars. That's why I think a penalty for Merc was too light.

Edited by TURU, 01 August 2010 - 16:35.

#28 Burai

Burai

• 1,895 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 17:00

Of course the money won't go to charities of course...

Yes it will. It'll go the the FIA Foundation where it will be spent on business class flights for Michelle Yeoh to promote road safety in countries where they barely have roads and nobody can afford a car.

#29 Henrytheeigth

Henrytheeigth

• 4,658 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 17:06

Yes it will. It'll go the the FIA Foundation where it will be spent on business class flights for Michelle Yeoh to promote road safety in countries where they barely have roads and nobody can afford a car.

:rotfl:

#30 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 17:16

Hey, good day for business!!

#31 eoin

eoin

• 5,015 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 18:11

You are wrong. The penalty wasn't for illegal release. It has already happened many times this season. They were penalised for causing a collision. It's not about getting illegal advantage or not. It's about causing dangerous situation by releasing a driver right into another car and causing extremaly dangerous situation involving a flying wheel in a pitlane full of people. Wheels are responsible for more deaths in F1 than cars. That's why I think a penalty for Merc was too light.

From Autosport

"Renault has been fined $50,000 for the unsafe release of Robert Kubica during a pitstop at the Hungarian Grand Prix."

Unsafe/Illegal- same difference.

#32 Sukhoi

Sukhoi

• 328 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 18:18

i don't understand why Robert get peantly at race , 50k fine after race would be perfectly fine

from other point of view , yes , driver pay for team mistakes , but my blood simply boil when i see people saying that Kubica is at Falut here

Lolypop guy owes him a big beer

horribly unlucky weekend , thanks god i haven't went there this year , i would end up in tears ;d , i wan't to forget about it fast as i can

PS: still some doubts about Rosberg Tyre influence on that situation ... I really hope to see a movie soon

#33 nainz

nainz

• 183 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 18:19

Seeing as Henry Surtees was killed by a bouncing tyre (not the same speed I know) I though Merc would have been in for at least a grid drop, 50g is a bit meh TBH :down:

#34 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 18:30

I just saw video of that, and it's one of the dumbest things I've witness in F1. Even if Sutil was pitting directly in front of him, Kubica still would have ran into the side of Sutil driving out into the pitlane...

How 'bout instead of a points deduction, Renault is just not allowed to pit theirs cars at the next race?

No that's the wrong approach. They should be forced to pit 20 times next race, so they can practice.

#35 iotar

iotar

• 2,153 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 18:32

And nobody knows who Michelle Yeoh is.

#36 Fastcake

Fastcake

• 12,548 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 18:40

Well the FIA sure have a big pot of cash recently, fair enough punishment.

#37 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,360 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 18:49

Did they release him unsafely twice? Must have missed that. Can only remember the situation where they released Bobby which caused the accident half a second later.

Merc released Nico with a loose wheel.

#38 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 18:50

The next time a loose tyres kills someone in racing I hope the FiA will remember their stance today.

#39 Bunchies

Bunchies

• 1,501 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 00:23

Michelle Yeoh is a well known actor, I don't think she needs the FIA's money :rotfl:

Advertisement

#40 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 00:27

Mercedes -> justified (if anything they got off lightly)
Renault -> NOT

Go be a lollipop man, have 18 workmates in the pitlane and a driver sitting in a stationary car while a freeking wheel comes bouncing into your box. a) you ll spook b) even if you don't releasing him is safer than him getting potentially hit over the head by the bouncing wheel.

Edited by engel, 02 August 2010 - 00:28.

#41 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 00:30

What a joke of penalty are these?

50k are nothing for them as they have millionarie budgets.

#42 MaxisOne

MaxisOne

• 2,334 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:23

Mercedes -> justified (if anything they got off lightly)
Renault -> NOT

Go be a lollipop man, have 18 workmates in the pitlane and a driver sitting in a stationary car while a freeking wheel comes bouncing into your box. a) you ll spook b) even if you don't releasing him is safer than him getting potentially hit over the head by the bouncing wheel.

I agree with this argument...

I wouldn't let the team (Renault) off totally though ... 25 grand maybe ?? but i think the chain of events started with the errant wheel.. My team made some royal cock ups today and i have no defense for them this weekend.

Oh well heres hoping they do better next GP.

Edited by MaxisOne, 02 August 2010 - 01:24.

#43 Henrik B

Henrik B

• 2,861 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:48

Fines are however pretty meaningless...

Look at it this way, neither Renault nor Mercedes will do anything differently because of their fines. They did mistakes, but in both cases the mistakes led to retirements for their own cars. You don't attach the wheel properly because if you don't you might get a fine, you do it because otherwise your car can't run.

Fines are fine for cases like speeding in pitlane in practice, it's however useless as a deterrent.

#44 King Six

King Six

• 3,230 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:20

i don't understand why Robert get peantly at race , 50k fine after race would be perfectly fine

from other point of view , yes , driver pay for team mistakes , but my blood simply boil when i see people saying that Kubica is at Falut here

Lolypop guy owes him a big beer

horribly unlucky weekend , thanks god i haven't went there this year , i would end up in tears ;d , i wan't to forget about it fast as i can

PS: still some doubts about Rosberg Tyre influence on that situation ... I really hope to see a movie soon

To paraphrase the BBC. The driver is part of the team. They are one and other. We learnt that plenty at the German Grand Prix. It's silly to say that it's unfair on Kubica. They're all in it together

#45 MrMonaco

MrMonaco

• 604 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:49

So what you say is that Renault deliberately release Kubica just to hit Sutil preventing him from scoring points? When you look at the constructors table you'll see that RF1 is battling with Mercedes over 4th place and they need both drivers to score points. According to your theory they caused more damage to themselves than to opposition. Notice that both driver and the team were penelised. What more do you want? Black flag for Kubica and DSQ for 3 next races? :rolleyes:

#46 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,756 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 11:54

How about reading the third sentence of the second paragraph?

Motor sport is one of the few where the punishment does not necessarily wipe out the illegal gain.