Photo

Jaime Alguersuari

• Please log in to reply
894 replies to this topic

#1 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 15:19

After a year in F1 I think he deserves his own topic.

Alguersuari: 'I'm a different person now'
by Jaime Alguersuari on Aug 3, 2010

A cloud of smoke billowing out of his Ferrari engine brought Jaime Alguersuari’s first F1 anniversary to a premature end, but it gave the Toro Rosso driver opportunity to reflect a year on from his teenage debut.

“The Hungarian Grand Prix marked the end of my first year in Formula One and the beginning of my second. My driving has changed from a technical point of view, and physically I’m now much better prepared for F1, but the biggest changes are on the mental side – in Formula One, you change as a person.”
Jaime was talking to Matt Youson.

Edited by mel, 04 August 2010 - 17:29.
source needs reference and credit or link?

Advertisement

#2 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 15:24

Opinions of him after his first few races in F1 were almost universally negative.

He is one of the few drivers in recent times to have turned around such views with his performances on track.
:up:

#3 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,420 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 15:31

His scrap with Michael Schumacher at Melbourne this year did his reputation no harm.

I think that was a turning point for him and did his confidence no harm whatsoever.

#4 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 16:28

Thank you for opening a topic about Jaime, Showtime... :) I ve been one of his fans since his Formula One beginnings, I always had the feeling he can do well, he just needs time and more kilometres on track... He showed some nice battles this year, with Michael Schumacher (Australia), Nico Hulkenberg and Vitaly Patrov (Malaysia), Adrian Sutil (China) and again Nico Hulkenberg (Spain)... Not everything went well like in Valencia for example, but he is now much closer to Buemi then ever before... At most I was very impressed with his Silverstone showing... On Friday morning he was 1,2 second slower then Buemi, on Saturday afternoon over half of a second and in race he was surprisingly 3 tenth faster then his team mate in average... So, it was a massive improvement during a single race weekend... Silverstone performance was one of his best this year, unfortunately, all ended 7 laps to go with brake problem... :cry: He was driving 11th, just 2 seconds of 9th Michael Schumacher... And he was faster then the 7time world champion at that time... Pity, that he has now 2 DNF after a failure at Hungaroring, where he made a debut last year...

#5 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 16:38

There's definitely some potential there..

I'd like to see him do well, particularly given his baptism of fire.

#6 JSDSKI

JSDSKI

• 1,439 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 16:50

Clearly, he has talent. Young drivers these days get so little opportunity to develop in F1 - track time is reduced to qualy and racing! The next two years will be telling. If the team is patient, he will keep moving up the grid and placings (like Rosberg did) then it's all about the right car at the right time and a bit of luck. Predicting a solid career. And more if he gets onto one of the top three teams.

#7 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,258 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 06:57

Last year I was certain that they brought him to F1 too quickly and felt that year in GP2 would be good for him but this season he has done better. Not much mistakes for young driver, mainly at Hockenheim taking out Buemi and Barcelona that incident with Chandhok.

#8 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 14:06

#9 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,465 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 21:42

Good to see him doing something he genuinely enjoys :up:

#10 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:09

Good to see him doing something he genuinely enjoys :up:

I think driving a Formula One car is also something that he enjoys...  ;)

#11 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,465 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 22:27

I think driving a Formula One car is also something that he enjoys... ;)

Ha yeah I know that & being a DJ which means some pretty easy girls if you catch my drift :smoking:

#12 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 14:11

Amazing track performance from DJ Alguersuari, today... :) Over 1 second over Buemi in Q1 and over 9 tenths in Q2... He is getting stronger and stronger... Fantastic! I really hope finally for a trouble free race tomorrow!

#13 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 14:24

Qualy was his biggest problem and he's clearly improving. Nice work today, let's hope for a good race tomorrow. :clap:

#14 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 13:46

Another good race and one more point! Shame about the first pit stop :|

#15 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 16:23

Another good race and one more point! Shame about the first pit stop :|

Jaime had a strong race today, dropping to 21st position and then recovered to 10th at the end... He had 10 fastest laps laps better then Buemi s top lap, Jaime s pace was absolutely fantastic for all this weekend... And what a pity he received a penalty... :(

#16 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 22:52

The penalty was a bit unfair if we take into account similar actions in previous GPs

#17 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:55

The penalty was a bit unfair if we take into account similar actions in previous GPs

Yes, it was unlucky again... :cry: Liuzzi was extremely slow compared to Sutil on Sunday and even Jaime driving a worse car was half of a second faster then the Italian, so the steward decision was unfair... I am waiting for the horrible autosport driver ratings, I guess Jaime will get 4 and Buemi 6... I bet that again it will be not counted that Alguersuari was all the weekend a second faster then his teammate, or that he had to climb from low 21st position after his first pit, while ending where he started the race, so in 10th place... Stewards threw him on 13th, so looking on results he was "worse" then Buemi...

#18 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 18:26

Another unfair penalty today, I would like to know why the Hulk didn't get a penalty too. Double standards?. The "bright side" is that it came in a race which was already a disaster.

#19 Bleu

Bleu

• 6,258 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 18:48

Watching the replay from the start, looks like Alguersuari is three-wide outside into first corner. Liuzzi was in the middle and Petrov inside. After lap one he was ahead of these two, so therefore I would say that the penalty may have been justified. But also thinking that Hulk should have been penalized for repeat offences as well.

Advertisement

#20 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 19:31

Another unfair penalty today, I would like to know why the Hulk didn't get a penalty too. Double standards?. The "bright side" is that it came in a race which was already a disaster.

You are right... In Spa was Jaime very fast and it was definitely his best race in F1 speedwise... But today s Monza was not that good... It is the second time this season, that I am NOT satisfied with his pace... 4 tenths gap to Buemi per lap is his worst result this year, even worser then Valencia... But as I said, tracks with long straights and hard breaking (Monza, Valencia, Montreal) are not his "cup of tea", he is more into circuits with shorter straights and a lot of high speed corners like Spa, Silverstone, Barcelona or Istanbul... Suzuka should be also a nice track for him...

Edited by marcoferrari, 12 September 2010 - 19:32.

#21 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 19:36

Last season in Suzuka he was doing his best race but he made a typical rookie mistake, pushing too much with new tyres.

#22 jesee

jesee

• 1,906 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:37

I think he should definitely keep his day job. That was painful and tactless to listen to.

#23 jesee

jesee

• 1,906 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:38

It is because the English are still conspiring against the Spanish :lol: Remember the English dominated FIA according to Marca and Gene who are especially conspiring against Alonso and Spanish drivers so that Hamilton can win?

Edited by jesee, 12 September 2010 - 22:40.

#24 Berlinette

Berlinette

• 50 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 23:50

Jaime has proven to me in the last two races that he is the biggest whiner and liar on the grid.

I can give him the benefit of the doubt in Spa, as we weren't shown images from the incident, but he can't just say "he doesn't know why was he penalised", and then tweet on Monday that he accepts his penalty...

But what happened today was just pathetic. He says he doesn't know why he was penalised AGAIN, but this time we were shown the images some three or four times. He was driving alongside Liuzzi and Petrov, and even if he was force to cut the chicane due to the lack of space, he returned to the track alongside De la Rosa... and ahead of Sutil, Liuzzi and Petrov!

Furthermore, we could watch him again right before Lesmo 1 defending his place against Sutil, so no excuses: he passed (at least) one guy by cutting the chicane, he defended his position, and then cried and lied after race.

#25 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 00:02

It is because the English are still conspiring against the Spanish :lol: Remember the English dominated FIA according to Marca and Gene who are especially conspiring against Alonso and Spanish drivers so that Hamilton can win?

I lost all hope of talking about Alonso without these kind of flaming comments long ago. Please, don't bring that BS to this thread too.

#26 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 15:37

Fantastic job by Jaime all this weekend so far... :up: Only 67 thousands missed to be in Q3 for the first time in his short F1 career... STR made a big step forward and so Alguersuari... A pity that his last flying lap didn t work, he was over 1 tenth faster then Koba in sector 2... :(
Anyway, I am curious about tomorrow, Alguersuari was one of the fastest drivers on Friday s long runs with heavy fuel load, so it can be interesting in race...

Edited by marcoferrari, 25 September 2010 - 15:37.

#27 Francesc

Francesc

• 5,026 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 15:41

The guy has talent, I'm sure he will score big points tomorrow.

And he wil be in Q3 at Suzuka.

#28 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 12,465 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 15:52

Yeah Jaime was brilliant today, unfortunate to miss out on Q3 but tomorrow he can get some points.

#29 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 16:53

I missed the qualy today but I'm very happy to see this result! If he doesn't get into trouble tomorrow he will get into the points. Also very important for him beating his team mate on a Saturday :)

#30 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 18:36

I missed the qualy today but I'm very happy to see this result! If he doesn't get into trouble tomorrow he will get into the points. Also very important for him beating his team mate on a Saturday :)

It was really exciting how Jaime almost got into Q3, The guy is really showing some promise and is definitely a very likeable guy as a person.

#31 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 18:54

Have to say :up: to Jaime today. Driver's circuit, totally blew away his teammate.

#32 prty

prty

• 8,439 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 18:54

The mandatory gif

Posted Image

#33 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 20:18

After he renewed his contract with STR his performances particularly in qualifying improved... To be honest I didn t expect him to be so strong here in Singapore for the stop and go nature of the track, which didn t suit Jaime before... But now it looks things are changing rapidly... I am curious about his race pace, because last year was Singapore his most difficult track...

#34 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 22:10

Really nice qualy for him :up: :up:
But he screwed something up in S3, if the S3 time would be similar pace-wise to S1 and S2 he would be in Q3 easily, IMHO he was too agressive on the curbs, and the TR isn't a McLaren (when it comes to handling the curbs in this case)

#35 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 6,287 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 05:22

Kid was just plain awesome today. :up: Lot of potential there, methinks. A lot.

#36 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 440 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:05

jaime did a really good job yesterday. He uses to be evenly matched with Buemi (or slightly slower) but yesterday que was consistently 7 tenths faster :stoned: I dont know what he has found to be that fast, but he missed Q3 just in last sector when he overdrove been "too agressive" in the last corners, he almost hit the wall twice :drunk:

BTW, great job yesterday, I wish him a good start today and bring some good points

#37 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:28

jaime did a really good job yesterday. He uses to be evenly matched with Buemi (or slightly slower) but yesterday que was consistently 7 tenths faster :stoned: I dont know what he has found to be that fast, but he missed Q3 just in last sector when he overdrove been "too agressive" in the last corners, he almost hit the wall twice :drunk:

BTW, great job yesterday, I wish him a good start today and bring some good points

Yes, I think he added more agressiveness to his driving style lately, which is more eye catching, but it can also end badly... On Friday he was doing an excellent job too, but also hit the wall... But it was one of the luckiest escapes, I have ever seen... :up: After that he was still some 6 tenths faster then Buemi on long runs...

Edited by marcoferrari, 26 September 2010 - 08:29.

#38 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 15:34

A race, where Jaime could score some good points, his team didn t get his car ready... :down: They failed already in Barcelona, where he was on the way to finished 8th ahead of Kubica and they messed up his stop... Buemi is definitely their preffered choice, but they must be blind supporting a driver, who is in a process of stagnation... But I know, the Red Bull cockpit for 2012 is in the game...

#39 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 16:35

Jaime did a great job after having to start from the pit lane. A shame that his best qualifying session was all for nothing in the end.

Advertisement

#40 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 17:38

Shame about the problem before the race :(

Edited by showtime, 26 September 2010 - 18:03.

#41 Lights

Lights

• 17,877 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 17:47

Why is it that every time he looks to be in a good position, some **** happens to him? When I saw he had to start from the pitlane I just felt bad for him. He qualified so well.

#42 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 20:48

Why is it that every time he looks to be in a good position, some **** happens to him? When I saw he had to start from the pitlane I just felt bad for him. He qualified so well.

Yes, almost everytime he can do well in race, something happened... He could finish 8th in Spain, but his crew messed up his stop... He finished 10th in Spa, but was later penalised (much worser behaving Hulkenberg in Italy wasn t)... He was running almost 2 seconds behind 9th Schumacher and 10th Hulkenberg in Silverstone and was faster then both in that time and his brakes broke down... He had qualified 11th in Singapore and looking on results could finish 8th, but his team didn t prepare his car ready for the start of the race... It must be so much frustrating for him...

#43 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 15:00

btw according to as newspaper (if you can believe it) a mechanic found some water behind the car but didn't say anything until it was too late, he has been fired after the GP.

#44 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 16:33

btw according to as newspaper (if you can believe it) a mechanic found some water behind the car but didn't say anything until it was too late, he has been fired after the GP.

Yes, I read something about it... Btw. there are some rumours that Jaime is also on the list of potential drivers for Renault in 2010...

#45 showtime

showtime

• 3,032 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 22:36

IMO that's BS. Renault is looking for a driver who could bring money and Jaime, despite a lot of what have been said, is not paying anything for his seat.

#46 weareracing

weareracing

• 985 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 23:34

:wave:
Jaime IS a future F1 Talent, he WILL be in a BIGGER TEAM and will win an F1 GP :up:
Believe Jaime, Believe :clap:

#47 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,008 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:42

Jaime IS a future F1 Talent, he WILL be in a BIGGER TEAM and will win an F1 GP :up:

Hopefully... :) I have the same impression he can do well in future... He stepped up his game in qualifying, particularly on supersoft tyres and really improved also on type of circuit lately (stop and go), which wasn t his strength last year and also at the beginning of this year... So, I am optimisic...

#48 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:13

Last year he wasn't even standout in Formula Renault and you call him a future talent? Some people are easily pleased. Jaime will have to show me much than present, for me to even notice he is on the grid, more or less to believe he is a future talent.

#49 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:20

Last year he wasn't even standout in Formula Renault and you call him a future talent? Some people are easily pleased. Jaime will have to show me much than present, for me to even notice he is on the grid, more or less to believe he is a future talent.

He is very young, he just turned 20 this year.

He has room to improve a lot and I believe he will, he just needs time :clap:

#50 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:25

Last year he wasn't even standout in Formula Renault and you call him a future talent?

Funny that people forget drivers who WERE stand-outs in lower categories and yet did sod all in F1. On the other hand I can remember several who were not and went on to great things. Alguersuari has shown flashes of talent that make me,personally, think there is something promising about him. Time will tell.