Photo

Mark Webber (merged)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6418 replies to this topic

#101 slideways

slideways

• 3,268 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 04:51

Sounds to me like he is happy for the support and why shouldn't he be. He's lived in the UK since he was a teenager and he's one of the few drivers around for whom their home nation doesn't give a F*** about their exploits.

Edited by slideways, 14 November 2010 - 04:52.

Advertisement

#102 Supersleeper

Supersleeper

• 1,441 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:12

Sounds to me like a media whore.

You post to insight .... small Children. :lol:

What a laughable thing to say. He gets no support from the media here, recognising and acknowledging support from his "adopted" country is actually a polite thing to do.

#103 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 705 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 05:58

Posted Image

#104 Spa One

Spa One

• 344 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:48

I just went to the bottle shop to get some beers to either celebrate or drown my sorrows tonight. I bought Fosters (even tho I don't drink the stuff, like most Australians) as Fosters played a big part in getting Webber into Formula 1.

Superstition check! :well: (this is all I can do to help Webber, even though I' a rational/scientific thinker, who has no interest in superstition. Yes, I'm a douche!)

The bottle shop guy told me he has a feeling webber is going to win it, although he clearly knew nothing about the sport.

Since quali, I have zero expectations; that is, I don'y expect Webber to win the championship now. This has relieved me of my nerves and will make the race a lot easier to watch.

So now, if he wins, it's a bonus.

Edited by Spa One, 14 November 2010 - 08:49.

#105 jato

jato

• 89 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:02

Ditto. Webber blew the championship in Korea and now with his poor qualifying effort then I have no expectations. I'm expecting Alonso to win it, if his engine blows then Vettel to win the championship.

#106 JosTheBoss

JosTheBoss

• 571 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:08

Hey, I was just happy for Mark to get a few wins before he retired, for him to have actually fought for the Championship is a bonus to me. :)

Tonight, what will be will be. But if Mark cant win it, i'd like to see Ferdy or Lewis do it. I'd be annoyed if Seb wins because I think at most *normal* teams - where teammates get equal support up to a point when they necessarily have to choose the leading driver - Mark would have had weight thrown behind him by Red Bull a lot earlier, and would thus have had a better chance at the title.

Edited by JosTheBoss, 14 November 2010 - 09:09.

#107 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:15

And it seems to me you're actively going out of your way to be venomous.

C'mon admit it - Webber gives you a chubby and he's your special time inspiration and you feel a bit ashamed of this.

#108 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,568 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:24

Actually, flyer121 was right - I can't stand you...

#109 valuk

valuk

• 60 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:33

Hey, I was just happy for Mark to get a few wins before he retired, for him to have actually fought for the Championship is a bonus to me. :)

Tonight, what will be will be. But if Mark cant win it, i'd like to see Ferdy or Lewis do it. I'd be annoyed if Seb wins because I think at most *normal* teams - where teammates get equal support up to a point when they necessarily have to choose the leading driver - Mark would have had weight thrown behind him by Red Bull a lot earlier, and would thus have had a better chance at the title.

Which teams are that? Ferrari? Because I haven't heard that Mclaren choose Lewis as the leading driver over Jenson, have they? RB drivers have only themselves to blame (and poor reliability) for (probably) not winning this WDC.

#110 The Passenger

The Passenger

• 874 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:37

I just went to the bottle shop to get some beers to either celebrate or drown my sorrows tonight. I bought Fosters (even tho I don't drink the stuff, like most Australians) as Fosters played a big part in getting Webber into Formula 1.

Superstition check! :well: (this is all I can do to help Webber, even though I' a rational/scientific thinker, who has no interest in superstition. Yes, I'm a douche!)

The bottle shop guy told me he has a feeling webber is going to win it, although he clearly knew nothing about the sport.

Since quali, I have zero expectations; that is, I don'y expect Webber to win the championship now. This has relieved me of my nerves and will make the race a lot easier to watch.

Great post, Spa One! That's made me feel much less apprehensive about tonight's race. I'm going to enjoy a few drinks and congratulate Mark on a job well done this year. As you say, if he wins, it's a bonus. Cheers!

#111 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,115 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 09:42

+1

He's had his best year in F1 anyway with 5 poles, 4 wins, 10 podiums. As a fan i'm stoked for him no matter what. Others can criticise him all they like but they can't take away what he's achieved. Something they'll never do from the comfort of their lounge room. :smoking:

Edited by DILLIGAF, 14 November 2010 - 09:45.

#112 Ben Wilson

Ben Wilson

• 134 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:44

Really good point, now it's just hope for the best time and enjoy the race..

#113 jez33

jez33

• 1,071 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:48

But the painful bit is he has severely underperformed the car in the second half season, which is nothing to be proud of.

#114 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,568 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:50

But the painful bit is he has severely underperformed the car in the second half season, which is nothing to be proud of.

No he hasn't.

#115 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,115 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:10

Bullshit.

#116 Longtimefan

Longtimefan

• 2,944 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:17

I'm praying Alonso's engine blows but since they were allowed to fix them (totally stupid decision imo) that damn Ferrari has been bulletproof.

I'd love to see a plume of smoke from his engine, failing that.. someone take him off... please! :D

#117 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,274 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:18

I´m amazed he´s on the final round with a chance of being WDC. He´s been much slower than his teammate in 3/4 of the races and he made as much mistakes as him. It is almost like if Massa was still on the fight. I really hope he doesn´t win it, I think he´s the only contender who doesn´t deserve to be there. Lewis, Fernando and Seb are the top drivers of the moment, and surely Robert and Nico would have been there with a top car too.

#118 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:25

I'm praying Alonso's engine blows but since they were allowed to fix them (totally stupid decision imo) that damn Ferrari has been bulletproof.

I'd love to see a plume of smoke from his engine, failing that.. someone take him off... please! :D

I'd be happy with a simple puncture at the start of either one of the 55 laps

#119 jez33

jez33

• 1,071 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:27

Of course he deserves to be there. He's had a fast car but has managed some excellent results this season.

Advertisement

#120 HappyPhantom

HappyPhantom

• 273 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 11:28

I´m amazed he´s on the final round with a chance of being WDC. He´s been much slower than his teammate in 3/4 of the races and he made as much mistakes as him. It is almost like if Massa was still on the fight. I really hope he doesn´t win it, I think he´s the only contender who doesn´t deserve to be there. Lewis, Fernando and Seb are the top drivers of the moment, and surely Robert and Nico would have been there with a top car too.

Seriously, I'm getting tired of people saying a certain driver doesn't deserve it. He may not be as "talented" as others, but when they made mistakes/or had "bad luck", he still had to be there to collect the points. He wasn't just giving things, he still had to be in a position to recieve it. And that goes for all of them.

I can understand that with Webber's qualifying performance of yesterday in mind, he isn't very convincing at the moment but still, it doesn't make him an undeserving champion as it isn't based on one race, but a whole year.

#121 The Passenger

The Passenger

• 874 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:20

I can't stop thinking back to that. I'm the same way.

I really hope and wish Webber wins, even though I know it won't affect the outcome.

Whatever happens, he's done extremely well this year, and I'm very proud of my fellow Aussie. :clap:

#122 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,115 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:30

Seriously, I'm getting tired of people saying a certain driver doesn't deserve it. He may not be as "talented" as others, but when they made mistakes/or had "bad luck", he still had to be there to collect the points. He wasn't just giving things, he still had to be in a position to recieve it. And that goes for all of them.

I can understand that with Webber's qualifying performance of yesterday in mind, he isn't very convincing at the moment but still, it doesn't make him an undeserving champion as it isn't based on one race, but a whole year.

Good post.

#123 Spa One

Spa One

• 344 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 13:01

I can't stop thinking back to that. I'm the same way.

I really hope and wish Webber wins, even though I know it won't affect the outcome.

Whatever happens, he's done extremely well this year, and I'm very proud of my fellow Aussie. :clap:

Mark's race engineer also seemed to be holding on to a very slight feeling of hope/magic.

Let's go!

#124 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,115 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 13:13

Can't see Mark winning now. Will he try to help Seb by getting past Alonso? I'm sure he'll try but the RB6 struggles in dirty air unfortunately.

#125 Spa One

Spa One

• 344 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 06:53

I'm a Webber supporter, but I wasn't upset to see Sebastian win the title yesterday (partly because H drove so well all year and party because my hopes were dashed after quali).

I was however, a little upset to see Helmut Marco on the podium. I'm entirely sure why, but it hurt a little.

Well done to SV though.

#126 Powersteer

Powersteer

• 2,460 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:42

Well, yes, and Vettel could have wrapped it up but for engine problems, Hamilton but for Webber and Alonso but for a couple of mistakes.

Webber is Clay Regazzoni. Blindingly fast at times, but on-track somewhat at odds with a fair racing mentality. Will have one chance to win the title before his younger team-mate overtakes him. Question is whether he will take it or bottle it. 1974 all over again.

Well, the entire fiasco revealed how Red Bull S*** Racing was run..with Newey's brilliance accidently favouring Webbers driving style and how they realize they had to change or tune the cars aerodynamics to suit Vettel. If things did not change I am sure Webber could have rapped it up. Biased speculation or conspiracy is absolute bliss in my opinion :drunk: ah yes and give back Webber's front wing now that you've got the drivers championship!!!!

:cool:

Edited by Powersteer, 15 November 2010 - 09:45.

#127 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,115 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:32

BBC COMMENTATOR MARTIN BRUNDLE'S VIEW ON MARK WEBBER'S SEASON

"For all Sebastian Vettel's brilliance at Red Bull, the gritty underdog Mark Webber has been in front of him or right on his tail.

"Webber's speed has really impressed me this season and some of his victories in the last two years have been astonishing. Any F1 driver in history would accept many of those on their CV.

"But every so often he has a wobbly one and ends up back in the pack and in trouble, such as flying off the back of a Lotus in Valencia. Like Button, he is occasionally slightly off the pace all weekend.

"I know for many people the Australian would have been a popular champion. Webber knows his time is running out, but I don't see Red Bull being slow next year."

#128 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,115 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:52

BBC SPORT - F1-WEBBER TAKES OUR DRIVERS' TEST

Q. Name three attributes an F1 driver must have?

A. Conditioning, composure and confidence.

Q. What is the hardest thing about being an F1 driver?

A. Constant travel.

Q. Formula 1 is not just about the car because…

A. ... it needs to be controlled precisely by a driver, in all conditions.

Q. If I was in charge of Formula 1 I would…

A. ... return more classic tracks to the calendar.

Q. If I could drive in any era of Formula 1 it would be…

A. The late Eighties.

Q. Who is your best friend among the drivers?

A. Jonny Kane (Le Mans driver).

Q. Which F1 driver tells the worst jokes?

A. The Germans except Sebastian Vettel, who's actually very funny.

Q. Describe yourself in a few words.

A. Impatient, demanding and down-to-earth.

Q. Do you excel at any other sports?

A. I don't excel at any sport in particular but enjoy having a crack at all of them.

Q. What car(s) other than an F1 car do you drive?

A. A Porsche 911 Turbo, a Nissan Navara, and a Renault Laguna Wagon.

Q. What is your favourite song and what does it remind you of?

A. I don't have one favourite song, but I like Pink, Oasis, U2 etc.

Q. What's the last book that you read?

A. 'First into Action' - a book about the Special Boat Service.

Q. What three words would you use to describe what it's like to be a Formula 1 driver?

A. Exhilarating, concentration - you need a lot of that - breathtaking.

Q. What is the biggest perk of the job?

A. The worst part of the job are the hotels and the best bit is racing each other.

Q. How would you like to be remembered as an F1 driver?

A. As someone who was quick and always gave his best.

Q. What is your most embarrassing sporting moment?

A. It has to be crashing off my mountain bike and breaking my leg in my own adventure race in 2008!

Q. Ayrton Senna or Alain Prost?

A. Prost.

Q. Spa or Monaco?

A. Spa.

Q. If you weren't an F1 driver what would you be?

A. A firefighter.

Q. Who is the greatest sportsman of all time?

A. You have to look at what [Muhammad] Ali did. He was an unbelievable sportsman and an unbelievably powerful person, more outside the ring than in it. He was just a phenomenal person. There was no media then in comparison to now and so to be as big as he was, I can't see anyone matching what Ali was.

Q. What would be your perfect day off?

A. Train before breakfast then have a nice shower, nice brekkie, watch Australia playing some sort of sport on TV for most of the day, a bit of Xbox and then a nice meal with (partner) Anne.

Q. Where is your favourite place to go on holiday?

A. Oman and Australia.

Q. Apart from a house what is the most expensive thing that you own?

A. BMW M5.

Q. What is your favourite item of clothing?

A. A cashmere jumper which Flavio (Briatore, his manager) bought me last Christmas

Q. Which famous person - dead or alive - would you like to have dinner with and why?

A. Hitler - I'd ask him why.

Q. Tell us something about yourself that most F1 fans might not know

A. I don't own a (hair) brush - and haven't done for 10 years.

#129 GreenMachine

GreenMachine

• 776 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 02:51

I'm a Webber supporter, but I wasn't upset to see Sebastian win the title yesterday (partly because H drove so well all year and party because my hopes were dashed after quali).

I was however, a little upset to see Helmut Marco on the podium. I'm entirely sure why, but it hurt a little.

Well done to SV though.

Yes, I am disappointed but it would be churlish to begrudge Seb the title, especially after his last several races.

I agree with the comment on Marko's presence on the podium, he looked just the proverbial hip pocket on a singlet, and prolonged his presence to the point where I felt he was distracting from the drivers who achieved the actual podium positions - poor show. Perhaps it reflects how he sees Seb as himself, but for the accident which cost him his eye, and how much he vicariously lives through Seb.

#130 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,312 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 03:13

so MW likes 'pink, oasis, U2' ... once a bogan, always a bogan!

#131 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,955 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:58

Thanks DILLIGAF for posting the "BBC SPORT - F1-WEBBER TAKES OUR DRIVERS' TEST".

It was very interesting.

#132 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:09

Bet he's got a 4.2 VB Commodore with chromies as well but not saying :lol:

#133 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 9,312 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 07:30

i read somewhere that he did circle-work across the school quadrangle as a post-graduation prank ... surely in those wheels or something very similar!

#134 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,438 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:32

haha hitler. weird.

hmm I wonder if he has a problem with germans? cant think of a reason why...

Edited by goldenboy, 24 November 2010 - 09:32.

#135 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:22

The reason why Webber's helm is so large.. :p

#136 Black Widow

Black Widow

• 647 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 10:32

Well, the entire fiasco revealed how Red Bull S*** Racing was run..with Newey's brilliance accidently favouring Webbers driving style and how they realize they had to change or tune the cars aerodynamics to suit Vettel. If things did not change I am sure Webber could have rapped it up. Biased speculation or conspiracy is absolute bliss in my opinion :drunk: ah yes and give back Webber's front wing now that you've got the drivers championship!!!!

:cool:

Ha, ha, ha, great post.

Reality seems to be that it was the software that was reconfigured, not the car. Sort of like being the X-Box 360 Champ :eek:

Oh shite, now I peessed off the Vettel fans. :rotfl:

#137 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,115 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 03:06

Bet he's got a 4.2 VB Commodore with chromies as well but not saying :lol:

Nah, he'd have to have a WB ute with a 308 i reckon, only to be driven whilst wearing a blue singlet!! :smoking:

#138 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 840 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 12:02

Have i missed it, or has Autosport not run a feature on Webber's season yet? Ive read the ones for Button, Hamilton and Alonso, and clearly Vettel's gotten plenty of press with the title. Havent seen anything for Webber yet though other than anything linked to team orders and such.

#139 JosTheBoss

JosTheBoss

• 571 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 15:54

I dont understand why it's been posted, but that Q&A is at least two years old. :well: I remember reading it way, way back.

Advertisement

#140 JosTheBoss

JosTheBoss

• 571 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 15:55

Have i missed it, or has Autosport not run a feature on Webber's season yet? Ive read the ones for Button, Hamilton and Alonso, and clearly Vettel's gotten plenty of press with the title. Havent seen anything for Webber yet though other than anything linked to team orders and such.

Your wish is their command!

#141 DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF

• 3,115 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:45

Some nice words from Stoddart about Webber's 2011 campaign.

http://www.gpupdate....tle-contention/

#142 FPV GTHO

FPV GTHO

• 840 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 13:27

Interesting to read as well the Tasmania Challenge is back on for the end of next year. I wonder if thats supposed to mean something for 2012.

#143 krapmeister

krapmeister

• 5,568 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 21:32

Interesting to read as well the Tasmania Challenge is back on for the end of next year. I wonder if thats supposed to mean something for 2012.

Doesn't mean that Mark is actually competing in it himself though does it? I haven't seen anything where he says he will be personally particpating...

#144 JosTheBoss

JosTheBoss

• 571 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:46

http://www.abc.net.a.../02/3082331.htm

Sounds like he's competing, thus I think we can infer he's probably retiring at the end of 2011.

#145 WhiteBlue

WhiteBlue

• 2,135 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:59

Sounds like he's competing, thus I think we can infer he's probably retiring at the end of 2011.

That thought crossed my mind as well, but then he would probably not crash into a car twice. So he could go on after 2011.

#146 JosTheBoss

JosTheBoss

• 571 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 14:29

I cant see Red Bull taking the risk given Mark being hobbled at the start of 2009 possibly cost them the WCC that year, so he's either:

1) retiring
or
2) leaving Red Bull

Any prospective new team would (one assumes) be forced to accept the risk.

#147 Mat

Mat

• 7,674 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:22

:lol:

He may well retire at end of 2011. But you just got 5 from 1+1.

#148 alfa1

alfa1

• 1,787 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 20:53

Not racing related, but tangentally Mark Webber related.
His fans might be interested to learn that his home town is underwater.

Evacuations as Queanbeyan swamped by rising floodwaters
Disaster declared as river swallows town of Queanbeyan

#149 JosTheBoss

JosTheBoss

• 571 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:20

So, Horner floating that Mark might be retained for 2012.... is he just being polite and keeping his driver motivated?

Cant see Webber staying unless he's ahead of Vettel come contract talks.

#150 thuGG

thuGG

• 1,528 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:22

Why not? If he is fast and motivated then I see no problems retaining him in 2012. Unless RB wants to promote someone from Torro Rosso...

Edited by thuGG, 17 February 2011 - 08:22.