* * * * * 1 votes

Australian 6 Manufacturing plant

• Please log in to reply
748 replies to this topic

#551 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 00:13

We even had a car here largely made from bits and pieces from other cars!

http://www.macsmotor...by-johnny-cash/

Advertisement

#552 mariner

mariner

• 1,370 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 14:20

Magoo's point about the Metropolitian being an " up market girls shopping trolley" is interesting as that is pretty much a key market for both the BMW Mini and the new Fiat 500.
o
BTW Edward Quinn was a famous 1950's photographer on the French Riveria- he did a " cars and stars" photo essay but I personally prefer this bok

http://www.amazon.co...ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

It has two classic images among many - Alain Delon and Jane Fonda in a Monaco reg. Ferrari spyder and Sophia Loren in an Alfa coupe complete with classy leather luggage in the back. - i suspect neither was spontaneous but very classy images

#553 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 16:34

Magoo's point about the Metropolitian being an " up market girls shopping trolley" is interesting as that is pretty much a key market for both the BMW Mini and the new Fiat 500.

The Workers have always shunned tiny cars, in America anyway. They prefer used cars, where they can buy upmarket for the same or less money.

As someone once said, What's the point of a brand new car if it makes you look like a piker?

#554 rory57

rory57

• 89 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:48

[quote name='Magoo' date='Feb 10 2013, 16:34' post='6124887'
in America.......where they can buy upmarket for the same or less money. [/quote]

That has never quite worked here in the UK, partly because the cost of maintaining big cars is massively greater than for small.
Sadly we haven't had a simple & up market car here for many years.

And Brits. are snobs about cars; new crap is better than old treasure.

Edited by rory57, 11 February 2013 - 18:51.

#555 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:52

I have never owned a new car. I had the use of a new BMW 1602 during my last year or so at Motor Sport magazine, everything else has been second hand.

#556 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 18:54

And Brits. are snobs about cars; new crap is better than old treasure.

I'm not quite sure how you work that one out.

#557 rory57

rory57

• 89 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 19:18

I'm not quite sure how you work that one out.

The obsession with the latest registration plate date,
the success of those marketing deals where you lease a new car for a deposit plus a few hundred a month and then give the car back at the end of two years,
the collapse in the price of a car at the end of it's warranty period.......

In other words; doesnt't matter what or how, as long as it is new.

#558 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 19:43

here's some more wonderfully creative craziness: a Six cubic-inch V8...with matching Roots blower. Runs pretty good. LINK:

Video: Six cubic-inch V8 with blower—Hear it scream | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image

#559 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,825 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 21:31

The obsession with the latest registration plate date,
the success of those marketing deals where you lease a new car for a deposit plus a few hundred a month and then give the car back at the end of two years,
the collapse in the price of a car at the end of it's warranty period.......

In other words; doesnt't matter what or how, as long as it is new.

Havent those deals disapeared there? Have here, the guaranteed by back sold plenty of new cars, but 2 years later killed the same dealers [and their manufacturers] as they were paying retail plus for used cars. Worse the new car managers told them that is exactly waht would happen.
As for build date the reason the 2012 ID plate stock clearance happens every year is that the 2013 plated cars will have higher resale 2-3 years down the track. Though then a 'sub model' eg an update of the current model will make the older version worth less too. And that even when they are 10-15 years old. Usually very monor engineering updates and new trim pattern etc.
Car buyers can be a funny species! Buy the seat trim, a defenitly the sound system in preference to buying a good car.
When they get older however sometimes the original one then comes to the fore, they just have to be 25-30 years old. And not have been converted to scrap metal ofcourse!

Advertisement

#560 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 19:59

Here then, more of your favorite Yank Tank material. I know why you enjoy these cars, you don't fool me. You're sniggering at us Americans behind our backs. Fine.

The Year in Cars: 1955 | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image

#561 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 05:52

The Nash went to the 1500 engine while wearing A-series running gear?

The forerunner to the Riley 1.5, Morris Major, Austin Lancer etc...

#562 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 00:25

The Nash went to the 1500 engine while wearing A-series running gear?

The forerunner to the Riley 1.5, Morris Major, Austin Lancer etc...

Definitely, I would defer to you BMC experts on these points. Would love to hear all you have to say about it -- where the Met fits in, etc.

#563 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:28

Microcars went for major money at the Weiner Museum sale conducted by RM Auctions last weekend, with the top car bringing $322,000 and 12 lots in the six-figure range. This is an entirely different and fascinating world of cars, check them out. LINK:

Tiny Cars Bring in Big Bucks at Weiner Museum Sale | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image

#564 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 5,264 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 23:31

That would be one of the most interesting features you've had at the garage. I just love seeing designers looking outside the box - then actually getting to production - sometimes with things that hardly make sense! The percentage of three wheel solutions is interesting too - lots of advantages if you don't mind the one major downside.

#565 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:46

That would be one of the most interesting features you've had at the garage. I just love seeing designers looking outside the box - then actually getting to production - sometimes with things that hardly make sense! The percentage of three wheel solutions is interesting too - lots of advantages if you don't mind the one major downside.

They're fascinating, aren't they?

If I were doing a modern-day microcar I would take a hard look at the 2/1 trike Messerschmitt config. Wide front track, small dia. front wheels, narrow cabin for minimum frontal area. Motorcycle power egg and swing arm.

#566 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,825 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:47

Microcars went for major money at the Weiner Museum sale conducted by RM Auctions last weekend, with the top car bringing $322,000 and 12 lots in the six-figure range. This is an entirely different and fascinating world of cars, check them out. LINK:

Tiny Cars Bring in Big Bucks at Weiner Museum Sale | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image

Where did they find all the buyers? To me those cars all mad about 90% more than they were worth. Motoring eccentricity!
And the Goggo Dart only made $54500, and was probably the most practical of the lot, but very impractical.
These all make Nash metropolitans mainstream!!

#567 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 5,264 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:30

Collectors are a different species Lee.

#568 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 18:36

These are a lot of fun to do, hope they are half as much fun to read... here's the latest in the Car Spotter's series, the memorable '49-'51 Fords, with lots of great facts and photos...

LINK: MCG Car Spotter's Guide to the 1949 to 1951 Fords | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image

#569 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 22:04

Here it is, the infamous Chrysler Turbine Ghia snuff film. Not for the weak or squeamish. Parental Advisory, etc.

Video: The infamous Chrysler Turbine snuff film | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image

#570 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 16:44

Here's the latest museum tour at Motor City Garage, the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend, Indiana.

There's a lot of cool stuff here but among my favorite attractions are the Studebaker Indy cars--premier examples of the so-called "junk formula," a fascinating period in Indy 500 history.

LINK:

A Visit to the Studebaker National Museum | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#571 mariner

mariner

• 1,370 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 19:58

Going back to the amazing bubblecar prices I am more staggered by them than Ferrari prices - insane.

I suppose microcars are rarer in the USA than the UK but the UK had a bubble car museum in Lincolnshire.

http://www.bubblecarmuseum.co.uk/

The museum was up for sale recently but I dont think that included the cars.

We paid $5 each to go in - I never dreamt I was looking at a $M plus collection!

Interestingly the McLaren group have now valued their collection of cars at around $150M in their balance sheet. Probably conservative based on the microcars but useful back up if the MB engines disappear one day!

A friend of mine in schooldays had a Messerschmittt three wheeler - it had two contact breakers so you got reverse by starting the two stoke " backwards" - all four gears available going backwards with handlebar steering - interesting

#572 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 4,507 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 20:56

Those Studebaker's are terrifc looking racing cars. I can't see a sensible way of doing it but they'd make a better race than f1 on a street circuit.

#573 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:11

Going back to the amazing bubblecar prices I am more staggered by them than Ferrari prices - insane.

I suppose microcars are rarer in the USA than the UK but the UK had a bubble car museum in Lincolnshire.

http://www.bubblecarmuseum.co.uk/

The museum was up for sale recently but I dont think that included the cars.

We paid $5 each to go in - I never dreamt I was looking at a $M plus collection!

Interestingly the McLaren group have now valued their collection of cars at around $150M in their balance sheet. Probably conservative based on the microcars but useful back up if the MB engines disappear one day!

A friend of mine in schooldays had a Messerschmittt three wheeler - it had two contact breakers so you got reverse by starting the two stoke " backwards" - all four gears available going backwards with handlebar steering - interesting

Insiders tell me that the cars in this sale were very rare and exceptional examples, creating some once-in-a-lifetime opportunities for microcar collectors, and thus some once-in-a-lifetime prices. Also, I understand a good portion of the cars went to a single collector in Russia. That said, I think the sale indicates the presence of a new collector niche -- one that wasn't fully recognized before because these weren't considered "real" cars. Car enthusiasts looked down the nose at these cars when they were new, and for some time to follow. Now we have a new generation of collectors that finds these vehicles interesting and attractive.

#574 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:13

Those Studebaker's are terrifc looking racing cars. I can't see a sensible way of doing it but they'd make a better race than f1 on a street circuit.

Yes, the junk formula at Indy created some very interesting race cars with lots of production parts and hand crafting.

#575 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:15

Motor City Garage will have complete coverage of the Detroit Autorama this coming weekend, including Great 8 and Ridler winners reported live as they are announced. Be sure to sign on to the MCG twitter feed so you can get results in real time.

Here's the kickoff preview featuring last year's Great 8 and Ridler winners, LINK:

2013 Detroit Autorama Preview | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image

#576 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 16:32

... I think the sale indicates the presence of a new collector niche -- one that wasn't fully recognized before because these weren't considered "real" cars.

There has been a steady climb in the price of bubble cars, with rarer versions, like the Messerschmitt Tiger, with four - yes, four - wheels, commanding big numbers for some time. My own Heinkel was sold some years ago, as being screwed by a local body shop made the complete reconditioning financially unviable.

#577 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 00:51

There has been a steady climb in the price of bubble cars, with rarer versions, like the Messerschmitt Tiger, with four - yes, four - wheels, commanding big numbers for some time. My own Heinkel was sold some years ago, as being screwed by a local body shop made the complete reconditioning financially unviable.

I can't say I totally understand $322K USD for a microcar, or some of the other six-figure prices, but I totally get how people would find these cars interesting and collectible. Their styling and engineering are completely engaging.

#578 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,944 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 22:43

Once anything gets over 300 grand it ceases to make a lot of sense...

I think you once said, or someone did, that you can duplicate anything for that kind of money.

#579 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 5,264 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 00:13

I think you once said, or someone did, that you can duplicate anything for that kind of money.

Except perhaps a Veyron.

Advertisement

#580 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 22:00

This is the Ford test track in Dearborn, Michigan, which is historically interesting in that it was originally Ford Airport, one of the first modern air fields in the world, with two concrete runways and a dirigible mast. Opened in 1924, it was also the home of the Stout and then Ford aircraft plants. The Dearborn Inn, just across Oakwood Boulevard to the west, was originally built to service the airport but is still in business today, and is a first-rate establishment btw. Ford Airport was operational through WWII, then gradually converted into a vehicle proving ground. The passenger terminal was torn down decades ago, but several of the original aircraft company buildings along Oakwood Blvd. are still in use today, one of them as an experimental engines lab. Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum are just visible at the upper left corner of the aerial photo. Also, there is a rather distinctive and stylish wall that encircles the airport/test track, which is officially known at Ford as the Dearborn Development Center. A few years ago the facility was completely renovated. Much of Ford engineering is based in the buildings along Rotunda Drive across the bottom of the photo, though Ford Racing is in another complex down the street.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Okay, finally got around to this topic -- story with rare photos of Mr. Ford's airport

Henry Ford's Airport | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image

#581 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 15:04

Once again I am mining all the great topics previously explored in this forum and recycling them for the website. This story is a revisit of the circa 1905 San Francisco street film we had so much fun with... except this film is 1935, Wilshire Boulevard In Beverly Hills, CA.

Evidently this film was originally shot as rear projection stock footage for the Hollywood movies but at any rate, there's a lot of interesting stuff going on. Check out the big old Rolls-Royce Sedan early in the sequence. How many vehicles can you identify?

Video: Crusing Wilshire Boulevard, 1935 | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image

#582 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 15:37

Just for fun, the cars and bikes of Steve McQueen. Although there is some instructional value here: as this photo demonstrates, the Honda 90 is veritable chick magnet. Who knew? Make a note of it, fellows.

Cars and Stars: the McQueen edition | Mac's Motor City Garage

Posted Image

#583 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 12,975 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 20:04

Having the step-through model must've been the problem then.

#584 BRG

BRG

• 11,571 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 19:18

Having the step-through model must've been the problem then.

Yes, even McQueen couldn't look cool on one of those!

#585 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:12

Here's the latest in the Dreams and Nightmares series...as always, some dream cars and prototypes that set the style for their era, and others that make you want to spoon your eyes out. But they're all interesting in their own way...

Dreams and Nightmares Chapter Three | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image

#586 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 00:11

More Motor City iron...the Continental Mark II is considered one of the finest Detroit designs of the 1950s, and there are some interesting stories and people behind its development.

Another Look at the Continental Mark II | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image

#587 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 23:08

1942 was a short production year but a critical one for the Motor City, and it featured some interesting cars that were around for a while. Here's some backstory with a big photo gallery:

The Year In Cars: 1942 | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image

#588 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 18:03

Here’s a great little promotional film produced back in 1962 to introduce the Studebaker Avanti—features loads of neat car details and period charm. Plenty of early '60s flavor etc. It swings, man. Don your narrow necktie, get your Mad Men on and have a look.

Video: Introducing the Studebaker Avanti! | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image

#589 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 22:23

More Motor City iron...the Continental Mark II is considered one of the finest Detroit designs of the 1950s, and there are some interesting stories and people behind its development.

Another Look at the Continental Mark II | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image

By the way, this photo has a severe magenta shift so this is not a real color. (Shame, really.) It's fixed on the website now. The car is actually a dignified antique gold.

#590 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,498 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 23:35

(Shame, really.)

It is a sort of shame, but if it means we don't have to live with the metalic there's-something-wrong-with-my-urine-coloured skies, it is also a relief.

#591 BRG

BRG

• 11,571 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 18:30

Posted Image

Nice car, but you would have had to be REALLY keen on your wheels to park it there....

#592 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 22:40

It is a sort of shame, but if it means we don't have to live with the metalic there's-something-wrong-with-my-urine-coloured skies, it is also a relief.

When you've looked at enough Kodacolor you don't even notice after a while.

#593 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 22:18

More lore on a favorite marque among the hot rodding/drag racing set, Willys-Overland. Also very popular in Australia back in the day, for reasons not entirely within my view. Not that it wasn't a perfectly fine little automobile. Just, you know.

MCG Car Spotter's Guide to the 1937 to 1942 Willys | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image

#594 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 6,923 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 22:58

More lore on a favorite marque among the hot rodding/drag racing set, Willys-Overland. Also very popular in Australia back in the day, for reasons not entirely within my view. Not that it wasn't a perfectly fine little automobile. Just, you know.

MCG Car Spotter's Guide to the 1937 to 1942 Willys | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Bill...just, you know?...Australia is a long way from anywhere...ya know?...supply and demand, and don't underestimate the cred that Willy's built (no pun intended) during the war years with their (GP) JEEP.

#595 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,825 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 23:56

1942 was a short production year but a critical one for the Motor City, and it featured some interesting cars that were around for a while. Here's some backstory with a big photo gallery:

The Year In Cars: 1942 | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image

That Willys looks wrong. Most I have seen have had a supercharger sticking through the bonnet, and the nose has been drooped too usually.

#596 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 18:27

That Willys looks wrong. Most I have seen have had a supercharger sticking through the bonnet, and the nose has been drooped too usually.

We've got one of those as well, just because everyone is used to seeing them.

#597 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:14

Bill...just, you know?...Australia is a long way from anywhere...ya know?...supply and demand, and don't underestimate the cred that Willy's built (no pun intended) during the war years with their (GP) JEEP.

But but but these cars predate the Jeep and WWII, And were very popular in Australia anyway. Is it the four-cylinder engine?

#598 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,707 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:49

But but but these cars predate the Jeep and WWII, And were very popular in Australia anyway. Is it the four-cylinder engine?

It was probably a combination of price and durability at the time. Big cars were expensive. British cars couldn't handle the harsh conditions.
The Willys was the size of a British car but with American quality.

#599 johnny yuma

johnny yuma

• 928 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:33

It was probably a combination of price and durability at the time. Big cars were expensive. British cars couldn't handle the harsh conditions.
The Willys was the size of a British car but with American quality.

Lots of good data 1933 through to 1940 on the disturbingly named site willysdownunder.webatu.com .
Australians must have liked a car that weighed about 1 ton,and had a 134 cubic inch engine,because
after Holden Bodybuilders stopped making Willys during the war,they started making Holdens in 1948
which weighed 1 ton and has a 132.5 cubic inch engine (a small 6) following several prototypes being
made at GM in Michigan.

It is reported historically the light weight made them less likely to get bogged on our unmade roads
than the heavier American cars,and easier to extract with human muscle when they did get stuck,in
the days when more people lived in rural areas than today,but along with that, they had more power
than the light but rather asthmatic British cars available then.

Edited by johnny yuma, 23 April 2013 - 05:40.

Advertisement

#600 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,478 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 16:48

Thanks CT and JY, makes perfect sense so explained.

More yank tank stuff: The cars of Cuba. Really fascinating vehicles, kept on the road for over half a century now by hook or by crook. Some look a bit worse for the effort but hey, they're still running and driving.

The Cars of Cuba | Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted Image
Posted Image