* * * * * 1 votes

Australian 6 Manufacturing plant

• Please log in to reply
748 replies to this topic

#301 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,506 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 14:32

It is a great.....do you happen to know what that area looks like today?

Thanks!

John

Contd... As long as we are showing construction and demolition, may as well show what it looked like when it was standing. This is the same aerial photo of the Willys-Overland Toledo plant posted near the beginning of this thread, but I reposted so you don't have to sort through and find it. Central Avenue runs across the foreground, while the railroads (actually, two railroads) running top-to-bottom and North-South are the New York Central (left/West) and Michigan Central (right/East). The building under construction via steam shovels and horse teams in the photo above is 46D. See the trapezoid-ish building along the railroad side of the complex? 46D is the one directly behind it. This aerial photo appears to be around 1955 or 1960, but the facility didn't change a whole lot in layout from this moment in time until final demolition a few years ago.

Posted Image

Advertisement

#302 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 14:43

I saw a working steam engine today, however it was a tourist line.
A little strange, a nice fast interstate loco with suburban rail cars on behind.
At Goolwa SA

Lee, Mum and Dad live in Goolwa and the Chief Engineer of the old passenger tourist diesel electric locomotive is their next door nieghbor ;)

In fact this would be me and him .... :)

Posted Image

I threw the old historic Goolwa paddle ship in at the bottom as well.

Oh and I meant those steam trains are workers hauling steel, not historic tourist toys, I have a visitor from Oz next week I'm going to try to see them up close and get some info and snaps...

#303 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 14:58

Cool.....plus you can see the water towers in both photos......great stuff, thanks!

John

Edited by NTSOS, 28 December 2011 - 14:59.

#304 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,506 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 16:36

Cool.....plus you can see the water towers in both photos......great stuff, thanks!

John

Wow, good eye. I never noticed that.

#305 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,506 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 17:13

Posted Image

Hmm, this satellite photo happens to be chock full of history... at the "new" Chrysler Jeep plant at upper right, a portion of the complex with black roof (to promote global warming) can be easily distinguished. That part is the original 1942 building, which was initially an Autolite spark plug plant. In 1964 the plant was sold to Kaiser Jeep Inc and converted to engine manufacturing. (The Hurricane and Dauntless V6 Jeep engines were made here, among others.) In the '80s, '90s, and '00s the joint was successively expanded and converted to vehicle assembly. While the facility is huge, there are fewer than 3000 humans in the entire complex -- it's highly automated and regarded as one of the most advanced and efficient auto plants in the world. Which is in stark contrast to the old plant it replaced, which was was arguably the oldest auto factory in the world, having produced the Toledo steam automobile in 1899/1900.

Also, you can see the new plant fronts on Stickney Avenue, a street named after a pioneer Toledo settler, Major Benjamin Stickney. Interesting fellow, Maj. Stickney... named his daughters for the Theological Virtues (Faith, Hope, etc) and his sons One, Two, and Three. Two Stickney was the hero of the Ohio vs. Michigan war of 1835. On the Ohio side, of course.

for those who suspect I just make up this stuff... http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Toledo_War

Also, at the far left margin of this photo around halfway down, where it says "Ave", almost exactly right there (just a teensy bit further west) was the studio where John Lee Hooker, one of the greatest Blues musicians of all time, of course, recorded his first session.

#306 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,030 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 23:50

Lee, Mum and Dad live in Goolwa and the Chief Engineer of the old passenger tourist diesel electric locomotive is their next door nieghbor ;)

In fact this would be me and him .... :)

Posted Image

I threw the old historic Goolwa paddle ship in at the bottom as well.

Oh and I meant those steam trains are workers hauling steel, not historic tourist toys, I have a visitor from Oz next week I'm going to try to see them up close and get some info and snaps...

The Oscar W. For those of you hearing about the recent drought in Oz, and The Murray River a couple of years ago when I went for a ride on the Oscar W we were walking DOWN the gangplank to the upper level at the Goolwa wharf. The Murray mouth [to the sea] is not far around behind that picture, less than 2km. The water was about 2m lower than in that pic. Recently it would have been even higher, a steep uphill on that gangplank.On the lower deck. The Murray has been in minor flood conditions for several months.

With those old trains the Steamranger historic train people are based at Goolwa and have no end of interesting working steam trains, old diesel electrics and even some not so old suburban rail cars. They also have a LOT of old rolling stock, both passenger and freight.
Steamranger used to do Adelaide to Victor Harbor on non fire season weekends which was a great trip but due to line' upgrades'no longer can unfortunatly. It now goes from Mt Barker in the hills through Strathalbyn to Goolwa then Victor.

Though the 'shuttle train' works nearly all year round between Goolwa and Victor on weekends and public holidays. About 15km of interesting line along the seafront on what is a great view of the Southern Ocean pounding in.That line is actually the oldest line in South Australia.And one of the oldest in Oz. Initially horse drawn it was used to link Goolwa on the Murray with the Ocean port of Victor Harbour. A lot of produce, wool, wheat, and other cereal crops went down the river on paddle boats [including the Oscar W] and then to overseas markets from Victor, and building materials, equipment was brought in for the river towns plus the outback area where it was often carried by bullock trains and camels. As late as the 1930s.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 29 December 2011 - 00:05.

#307 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:26

Initially horse drawn ...

I rode on the horsedrawn tram that goes out to Granite island across the Jetty last time I was in Vic Harbour.

Posted Image

#308 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,030 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:01

I rode on the horsedrawn tram that goes out to Granite island across the Jetty last time I was in Vic Harbour.

Posted Image

You must be rich,, I always walk.
I think? the Causeway was part of the means for loading ships, On the Granite Island end where it is deeper.
Victor Harbor was the original projected site for the settlement of SA and it changed at the last moment,,, 175 years ago yesterday! Victor the cold storage of South Oz. 36 deg in Adelaide and 25deg in Victor. Probably why it is a retirement capital too! About 60k SE from Adelaide.

You see where this thread has got lost. Steam engines and now a tour of the greater Flueri Peninsula and South Oz history.

#309 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 14:55

I love reading these little history vignettes you present.........I wonder if the Stickneys had any relation to the restaurant chain in CA......loved their boysenberry pie as a kid! Thanks so much!

John

#310 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,506 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 19:26

I love reading these little history vignettes you present......

Or as they are also known, the ramblings of the elderly.

#311 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 20:02

Well, the "ramblings" are very entertaining.......book tour, book tour!

Thanks M!

John

#312 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 13,074 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:49

These "ramblings" are fascinating. Ramble on.

#313 Canuck

Canuck

• 1,664 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:33

:up:

#314 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 07:10

Indeed and genuinely fasinating, just avoid "when I was young ...." :lol:

#315 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,030 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 00:37

But interesting and entertaining ramblings.
All the renewal in the Detroit area is in one way very sad as a loss of history , but inspiring if they can make new more efficient industry.
It has happened here too, in a smaller way. The original Holden and Frost building was demolished recently,, after a convenient fire.
And the GMH plant at Woodville that replaced it has been lost recently. It now has a Bunnings hardware store on the site.
And the Chrysler/Mitsubishi factory is in a state of flux currently as the government is trying to create Green industry there. Though currently it is all there still, just being carved up into smaller lots. The gate building is now a physiotherapists!
The engine plant at Lonsdale is empty too and I have heard rumors of demolition.And that is only about 35 years old.

Edited by Lee Nicolle, 31 December 2011 - 00:39.

#316 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,506 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 21:21

Thanks for all the generous comments. I wonder what you folks would think about a website along these broad lines? Some history, some tech, some Detroit gossip and industry lore? I would llike to hear your opinions and suggestions.

#317 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 21:45

I'd love it! And Happy New Year...

#318 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 6,030 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 00:18

Thanks for all the generous comments. I wonder what you folks would think about a website along these broad lines? Some history, some tech, some Detroit gossip and industry lore? I would llike to hear your opinions and suggestions.

It should be interesting

#319 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 00:28

That would be terrific and great fun too!

Happy New Year all!

John

Advertisement

#320 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 13,074 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:17

It's a great idea. I was raised with a predisposition to think of Detroit engineering as backward and crude, but have since learned otherwise.

#321 Canuck

Canuck

• 1,664 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:00

I have never read one of your insider stories and thought "well that's time I'll never get back". I'd buy a book if you published one, never mind read it free on a website you create.

#322 Wirra

Wirra

• 911 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:24

A few images of the dismantling of presses at the Leyland plant in Zetland, Sydney - sometime in the 1970s.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#323 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,729 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:46

Wow! Thanks for that. The Zetland/Waterloo Leyland plant closed towards the end of 1974 and the clean up started early in 75.

Do you have any more?

#324 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 16:26

Here are some images from the San Jose Ford Plant.......as grade school kids, we all got to tour that plant back in the '50's.

San Jose Ford Plant

John

#325 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,729 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:33

Here are some photos of the presses at the BMC/Leyland Zetland plant when they were new...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Photos graciously stolen borrowed from the State Library of NSW website.

#326 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,729 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:41

Just to get back to the Australian Six story....

A while ago I said this...

As far as I know the Australian Six was produced at Parramatta Road Burwood and the factory was where the AWA Factory stood until recent years.

Ray replied with this...

Seriously doubt that...

The building doesn't look at all similar to me. AWA's building, from memory, was much taller.

And we had these photos of the factory...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have just come across these photos of the Governor General visiting the AWA works during 1939, look familiar?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have also been looking into Harkness and Hillier who took over production of the Australian Six and they moved up Parramatta Road from Ashfield to their own plant at Five Dock...

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was Harkness and Hillier's first workshop in Drummoyne which burnt down forcing them to move to Five Dock.

Posted Image

#327 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,729 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:36

Then...
Posted Image

Now...
Posted Image

#328 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:44

Great photos!

#329 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,506 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:35

Very cool, thank you!

#330 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,729 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:43

Magoo, have you heard of a car called the "American Balanced Six" which was designed by Louis Chevrolet?

#331 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:00

Thanks so very much! :up:

#332 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,506 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 14:41

Magoo, have you heard of a car called the "American Balanced Six" which was designed by Louis Chevrolet?

Yes, in a vague sort of way. I seem to recall that the American and Australian Six automobiles were allied or aligned in some way, though I don't know how. It would be interesting to put the two vehicles side-by-side and see if there is any similarity. It appears they both used Rutenber engines at some point.

The American Six appears to be a very ordinary "assembled car" typical of the era, made up entirely of off-the-shelf components from various suppliers.... so what parts of the car Louis Chevrolet could have designed is not entirely clear. "Balanced" in the car's name was evidently meant to refer to the car's overall attributes, not to any particular engine balancing technology or suchlike. Maybe he did a really nice job helping to pick out the bits. Note the company name: American Motors Corporation, which has no connection to the American Motors formed in the 1950s.

Posted Image

#333 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,729 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 20:56

What I have found is the American Balanced Six and the Australian Six were the same car! The first batch of 50 cars were imported from America and assembled at a workshop in Rushcutters Bay, Sydney and rebadged to become the Australian Six.

The Chevrolet story is that Louis Chevrolet supposedly designed the car and never made it, an Australian, Fredrick H Gordon bought the rights to make it and by the time he got around the car was already in production as the American Balanced Six.

#334 Grumbles

Grumbles

• 326 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:52

There's a wonderful photo up at Shorpy at the moment. It's a staff photo of the Leland and Faulconer machine shop and foundry, taken in 1903. L&F were later to merge with Cadillac; I'm sure Magoo can tell us more.

#335 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 5,729 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:49

What a great photo.

#336 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:09

Yes, wonderful!

40 men,
39 hats,
23 mustaches
5 pairs of braces,
3 beards,
3 clay pipes and
2 foundry ladles!
No partridge...

#337 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,506 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:29

That is indeed a wonderful photo. Thanks, Grumbles. I can look at it all day -- story in every face. Henry and Wilfred Leland are at far right.

Henry was a New England puritan, very forthright and moral, who idolized Abraham Lincoln. Hence the name for his own car company. Leland & Falconer helped Oldsmobile develop its early vehicles, then took a similar role in the first Henry Ford Company, which then became Cadillac and was merged with Leland's company. The Leland & Falconer building -- and the building pictured here, I presume -- later known as Cadillac plant #2, was at the intersection of Trombly Street and the Michigan Central Railroad, only a few blocks west of the current GM Cadillac Poletown plant where the Volt is built. There is an ancient-looking building on that site but it's unclear if or how much of it is the original Leland structure.

#338 Magoo

Magoo

• 2,506 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:54

Here is a nicely done bio -- brief but accurate -- on Henry Leland from Ate up with Motor, a relatively new website that does good stuff.

http://ateupwithmoto...nry-leland.html

#339 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 14:13

Yes, wonderful!

40 men,
39 hats,
23 mustaches
5 pairs of braces,
3 beards,
3 clay pipes and
2 foundry ladles!
No partridge...

Great photo, but I couldn't find the 2 foundry ladies.......ok, they must not have mustaches, so, looking, looking, looking, oh, damn..........2 foundry ladles!!!!

But you did miss the cat!

John

Advertisement

#340 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 14:49

No, I saw both cats but ignored them! :)

#341 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 14:56

I also didn't comment on the number of striped shirts, there is quite a variety of shirts, stripes taking precedence after plain but not as boring a selection as one might have guessed. There are few that I wouldn't mind...

#342 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 15:08

No, I saw both cats but ignored them! :)

Oh yes, two........I wonder if they're still alive? :)

Edited by NTSOS, 11 March 2012 - 15:09.

#343 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 17:07

Posted Image

Apparently...

#344 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 17:12

Posted Image

Apparently...

:lol:

#345 Grumbles

Grumbles

• 326 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 20:03

It's the expressions on the faces that fascinate me; there's everything there. Serious, tough (even while nursing a cat), playful, friendly, wise... and Stan Laurel in the back row.

#346 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 20:34

It's the expressions on the faces that fascinate me; there's everything there. Serious, tough (even while nursing a cat), playful, friendly, wise... and Stan Laurel in the back row.

Yes, that is Stan....I also want an explanation from the hatless dude!

John

#347 Tony Matthews

Tony Matthews

• 17,499 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 21:19

I've just realised that I missed the lad sitting cross-leg'd on the right, so:-

40 men and one boy,
40 hats.

Edited by Tony Matthews, 11 March 2012 - 21:20.

#348 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:47

I can't find the other thread with all the good old pictures so this thread will have to do - have a look through some of the links on this page for older production photos and news on old factories demolished, hope theres something there for Magoo ...

http://blog.hemmings...ions/factories/

#349 gruntguru

gruntguru

• 5,372 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:09

Not many you would like to see going out with your sister.

A wonderful image - incredible datail.

#350 NTSOS

NTSOS

• 692 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 19:19

American women working at Ford's Willow Run Aircraft Manufacturing Plant during WWII.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

John