Photo

Shoya Tomizawa

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rd500

rd500

• 474 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 22:17

evening all, i know its not nostalgic (yet) but i wanted to pay my respects to shoya tomizawa who died at today's moto 2 event in italy. thankfully i was not watching the race at that point, but in my worthless opinion you can make all the run off area you like but when you put bikes like these together that run nose to tail things like this happen. this is not the first time in a type of 600 class this has happened and im sure it wont be the last. :(

Advertisement

#2 mba21

mba21

• 798 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 22:50

evening all, i know its not nostalgic (yet) but i wanted to pay my respects to shoya tomizawa who died at today's moto 2 event in italy. thankfully i was not watching the race at that point, but in my worthless opinion you can make all the run off area you like but when you put bikes like these together that run nose to tail things like this happen. this is not the first time in a type of 600 class this has happened and im sure it wont be the last. :(

The race should have been stopped,there is no doubt about it,the pure stupidity of the race officials,they should be made to resign.and be banned for life from ever officiating at this sport ever again.The way it was handled was the worst I have ever seen, we are so lucky to have the best trained Marshalls in this country/world................

R.I.P Tomizawa

#3 Paul Collins

Paul Collins

• 978 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 23:56

Terrible incident and very sad outcome, I didnt like the way they bundled Scott Redding onto the stretcher, I hope he hadnt suffered any back or neck injuries because they didnt stop to check they just chucked him onto the stretcher and marched off with him literally seconds after he'd stopped rolling.

#4 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:36

Because deaths in accidents seldom happen nowadays , the marshalls and helpers should be even more on top of trainig. It was horrible to watch them fizzling around like chickens , and their handling of "our Boys " was a disgrace , even nearly dropping one of them ! My TV channel showed the accident more than once , and to watch "Tomi" being run over twice again..........shocking. A sad end to a raising carreer , all the best to Scott Redding , and my thoughts are also with those 2 poor guys who could in no way awoid "Tomi"
Accidents will happen again , but the rescuers does NOT have to be a disgrace again !

Edited by Bjørn Kjer, 06 September 2010 - 06:37.

#5 graham houlihan

graham houlihan

• 356 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 11:24

Posted Image

I wanted to post this photo as it was the last time I saw Tomizawa in the paddock. This was taken by my friend at Misano on Saturday evening as Shoya signed a couple of photos for me (I'm in the green cap). When these things happen there is always a rush of people saying how fantastic the person was and (although I don't in any way claim to have known him personally) having met him in the paddock several times over the last year, I have to say Shoya was truly a really great guy (really only a boy still) . The quotes saying he was always laughing are 100% true. When this photo was taken we had been joking about the other Japanese in the photo ( journalist Satoshi Endo) who rode the TT in 1984.

You won't have seen it, but the coverage on Italian TV was a disgrace as always. The "ambulance chasing" mentality here means that there is still a gladitorial side to racing. If you go back through the old magazines they always printed graphic photos of the fatalities like Saarinen/Pasolini, the Salzburg pile-up in 77 and the deaths of American Pat Evans, Bergamonti, Buscherini,etc . Again yesterday the Italians own TV supplementary feed (TV channel Mediaset not the Dorna coverage) had cameras at the mobile clinic showing Shoya coming in on the stretcher, etc, and this was shown on the replay I saw last night, when they knew the outcome. Also the news last night had the same. This was the same as the coverage of the big Catalunya crash a few years ago when Gibernau, Melandri and Capirossi were all hurt and the Italian TV were arguing with the medical guys to try and get pictures.

The Italian crowd were fairly disgraceful yesterday as well. There was an announcement before the podium ceremony about what had happened and the flags were at half-mast, plus no champagne, etc. The crowd was asked to keep the noise down, but this only happened for a couple of minutes. I guess it's just a cultural difference, but it's lost on me even though I live here.

#6 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:33

That lad had a bright future bless him :( What little I saw of him was impressive in that frantic Honda Cup race series. It'll get even more out of hand I think too. There's a strange wind blowing across motorcycle racing and it's not one I like much :rolleyes:

RIP Shoya

Thanks for a super photo Graham.

David

#7 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 23:56

It was a truly horrible incident, but De Angelis and Redding had absolutely no way of avoiding Shoya. As I think David is alluding to, there have indeed been a rather startling number of incidences in recent years which have witnessed riders falling only to be subsequently collected by those following - I'm talking all premier forms of the sport, such ass BSB, SBK as well as MotoGP and its support categories.

Poor lad; he was younger than my son, which hits-home too...