Photo

Who should be the main BBC F1 commentator?

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

Poll: Who should be the main BBC F1 commentator? (369 member(s) have cast votes)

Who should be the main BBC F1 commentator?

1. Jonathan Legard (37 votes [10.03%])

Percentage of vote: 10.03%

2. Martin Brundle (with new colour commentator) (63 votes [17.07%])

Percentage of vote: 17.07%

3. David Croft (72 votes [19.51%])

Percentage of vote: 19.51%

4. Charlie Cox (10 votes [2.71%])

Percentage of vote: 2.71%

5. Ben Edwards (87 votes [23.58%])

Percentage of vote: 23.58%

6. Martin Haven (6 votes [1.63%])

Percentage of vote: 1.63%

7. Toby Moody (9 votes [2.44%])

Percentage of vote: 2.44%

8. Ted Kravitz (6 votes [1.63%])

Percentage of vote: 1.63%

9. James Allen (65 votes [17.62%])

Percentage of vote: 17.62%

10. Other (14 votes [3.79%])

Percentage of vote: 3.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:03

would be fun to have just for once Jeremy Clarkson :-)

of the current crop, I must say that Karun does an excellent job but then martin is already giving the technical details.. albeit his knowledge of F1 might be outdated... Karun was giving details that were so fresh... was great.

Advertisement

#102 zenmeister

zenmeister

• 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:04

Ben Edwards is the best

Absolutely. He and Brundle would be superb.

Crash.net has a story that Charlie Cox is being seriously considered. That would be disastrous.

#103 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:18

Crash.net has a story that Charlie Cox is being seriously considered. That would be disastrous.

Yeah I can't stand his voice when he gets excited. Would be typical BBC though to be looking only for another insider :mad: :down:

#104 Tombstone

Tombstone

• 1,015 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:18

He's not named after Ferrari.

He may well claim that, but as James Hunt once said of Rene Arnoux, "Bullshit"

#105 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,017 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:19

would be fun to have just for once Jeremy Clarkson :-)

of the current crop, I must say that Karun does an excellent job but then martin is already giving the technical details.. albeit his knowledge of F1 might be outdated... Karun was giving details that were so fresh... was great.

Yeah, it's a shame that the best newcomer on the scene (Chandhok) is ideally suited for the role where the Beeb commentry team is best set.

In considering my thoughts on who I'd like in the lead role, I realised that I've never really enjoyed any lead commentary. I enjoy listening to Murray on the classic broadcasts now, but I realise that's 100% nostalgia - at the time, I found him quite infuriating. I don't need enthusiasm delivered into my home: I can bring quite enough of that myself. I want useful information.

And I think that's why I've never found a lead commentator I've much liked. It's a tough job to do well, particularly for an F1 nut rather than casual viewer, given the amount of airtime that needs filling vs the number of true crunch momments in a Grand Prix. The colour commentator has the luxury of kicking in to gear on those moments, taking up the majority of the airtime when things are most interesting and the minority when they're not.

It feels like Leggard is the worst I've experienced. But maybe that's just because he's the guy that's currently annoying me every other Sunday.

So overall I think I'm not bothered. I will more likely than not dislike whoever it is thanks to my unrealistic expectations and arrogant probably-I-am-a-better-man-for-the-job-because-I-know-more-about-F1-than-you attitude.

#106 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 9,582 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:19

Charlie Cox is actually an idiot. Allen > Legard > Charlie Cocks.

Ben Edwards is too superficial and his years of BTCC coverage suggest that he never looks into anything critically. Even in clear-cut cases he never attributes blame, they're simply branded "unlucky" to be uncontroversial. It's boring.

Wouldn't mind Allen back but Martin Haven would be great.

Edited by Disgrace, 15 September 2010 - 13:25.

#107 Breadmaster

Breadmaster

• 2,507 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:21

Martin Haven - definitely. Especially if he were allowed to rant.....

Jonathan "up the hill" Legard has to be stopped!

#108 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:22

Ben Edwards. Always has been, always will. Quality on Eurosport back in the day and qaulity on Digital +

#109 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 26,406 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:29

I think Brundle + Davidson would be an awesome pair, if Brundle moved to an anchor role and Ant was given more freedom.

But they are two of the same commentator really, maybe Brundle can move on to the main role. Frankly i'd wait for Button to retire, get Brundle in the main rols and use Button is Brundles current role. Davison puts me to sleep.

#110 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,384 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:31

At this point it does seem like Charlie Cox will get the job... sadly.

#111 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,128 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:32

Rowna Atkinson. He knows his stuff. :D

Plus he'd be very funny.

#112 Sausage

Sausage

• 1,795 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:40

Ben Edwards. I wish all my motor racing was commentated by Ben Edwards. But A++ if they made Martin the main BBC one.

#113 Captain Cranckcase

Captain Cranckcase

• 740 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:42

Anyone but this guy...

Compared to that Legard is Murray Walker. I also agree with those who say Davidson is better than Brundle now. Brundle seems bitter and a bit of an ego at the moment.

#114 Don_Humpador

Don_Humpador

• 2,223 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:47

This guy.

#115 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,384 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:47

Anyone but this guy...

Compared to that Legard is Murray Walker. I also agree with those who say Davidson is better than Brundle now. Brundle seems bitter and a bit of an ego at the moment.

Sounds like Legard after every race. :down:

#116 Tuxy

Tuxy

• 948 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:50

Just give me Martin Brundle and James Allen. I didn't mind James as a commentator.

#117 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 14:18

This guy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crazy Japenese man. :lol: :lol: :) :rotfl: :clap:

#118 rabbitleader

rabbitleader

• 1,032 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 14:31

I suspect that Charlie Cox being an Australian will be pro Webber. There's enough Redbull sentiment with David Colthard on the team. I'd like to see a British commentator on the BBC.

#119 mtknot

mtknot

• 639 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 14:40

If Chandok was on the list i would voted for him.

Advertisement

#120 nickj15

nickj15

• 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 14:50

God please not Charlie Cox - I think he is a terrible commentator. He's just dull and doesn't convey any excitement to the TV audience at all. I remember watching the MotoGp Qatar race and Stoner fell after about 8 laps. Cox's reaction was just a quiet observation that Stoner was down in the gravel whereas when I saw a rerun of the race on Eurosport Toby Moody and Julian Ryder were going beserk and really know how to bring the commentary alive..

#121 Alexis*27

Alexis*27

• 750 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 15:10

Which 20 people voted for Legard???

Geez.

#122 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,895 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 15:24

Ben Edwards. Always has been, always will. Quality on Eurosport back in the day and qaulity on Digital +

:up: +1

#123 svxdriver

svxdriver

• 49 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 15:25

Barry Nutley. Maybe Sid Wadell. Seriously though....

No to Cox he always sounds like he needs to cough and clear his throat. No to Brundle - he is good as the observer and foil. Edwards could do it. I remember him commentating on Cart and although he started poorly soon got into the swing of things. No to Coultard he should market himself as a cure for insomnia. I'd have to nominate Crofty - I just hope that he can lose the radio commentary style which Legard has struggled to do.

#124 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,895 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 15:25

Geez.

Leggard himself had his family sign up numerous accounts on Atlas to vote for him... :lol:

#125 wewantourdarbyback

wewantourdarbyback

• 6,358 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 15:38

I remember watching the MotoGp Qatar race and Stoner fell after about 8 laps. Cox's reaction was just a quiet observation that Stoner was down in the gravel

Because it's so predictable these days it's hard to get exciting when he does go down?

#126 Jambo

Jambo

• 2,063 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 15:52

The only good thing about Charlie Cox going to F1 is that he would be stopping Motogp commentary.

#127 kar

kar

• 10,307 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 16:43

Last time I thought there could be no one worse than James Allen.

I was wrong.

Now, I am here thinking no one could be worse than Jonathan Legard.

But I am wrong.

Charlie Cox. No, hell no, ABSOLUTELY NO!

#128 BRG

BRG

• 11,446 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 17:38

Charlie Cox. No, hell no, ABSOLUTELY NO!

"He's got the magnets on (WTF does that MEAN????) and you could throw a blanket over them" :rolleyes:

Maybe they could tempt Adrian and Christine back from ITV?

#129 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,238 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 18:39

What is Ben Edwards doing these days?

I remember his F1 commentating on Eurosport in the mid-90s. He is fantastic!

#130 Tombstone

Tombstone

• 1,015 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 18:44

Geez.

I did.

Although Crofty would be good too.

I'd prefer Simon Taylor though.

The others that I know have irritating voices, are too young or have speech impediments. The others I don't know as I don't watch other motorsports.

#131 JustAGooner

JustAGooner

• 5 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 19:00

No primary commentator will suit the requirements of a skilled "Armchair Expert". Watching this sport requires a rule book, Charlie and WMSC on your lap at all times. So it doesn't matter to me. Just stop Legard for saying "Coming Together" every time 2 drivers are fighting for a place.

#132 ColchesterF1

ColchesterF1

• 209 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 19:23

Me! :wave: i would do a great job  ;)

#133 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 19:29

Because it's so predictable these days it's hard to get exciting when he does go down?

:eek:

#134 Spillage

Spillage

• 852 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 20:20

The biggest problem I have with Legard is that, when a major incident happens, he just doesn't seem to know what to say, and ends up babbling some gibberish.
The main problem I had with Allen was that he was a tw*t:
Really they should just promote Croft, like they should have done 2 years ago.

#135 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,384 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 20:22

The biggest problem I have with Legard is that, when a major incident happens, he just doesn't seem to know what to say, and ends up babbling some gibberish.
The main problem I had with Allen was that he was a tw*t:
Really they should just promote Croft, like they should have done 2 years ago.

Picking out Allen's worst moments doesn't give the best perspective, especially seeing as how some commentators like Legard are constantly bad.

#136 Spillage

Spillage

• 852 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 20:28

Picking out Allen's worst moments doesn't give the best perspective, especially seeing as how some commentators like Legard are constantly bad.

Well, he knew his stuff and he knew what information to relay to the viewer and when, but he had this capacity to ruin exciting moments and that is unforgivable in any commentator, Legard included. I'd say Allen is the better of the two but I don't think either are as good as David Croft or Ben Edwards.

#137 Lights

Lights

• 9,316 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 20:36

Just listened to some youtube clips and yes, surely Ben Edwards. Him and Brundle would be awesome.

#138 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,619 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 20:43

He commentates on the BTCC and Superleague Formula, and probably some other series as well that I forget.

#139 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,619 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 20:45

Hopefully the results of this poll will make it into Revved Up at some point. :p

Advertisement

#140 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace

• 7,050 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 21:23

Ben Edwards was good in the Eurosport days and I always enjoyed his CART and A1GP commentary. He's be worth putting in the box. However, I just got thinking about...

Lea McKenzie :love:

...Does any broadcaster have a female lead commentator? Would the Lea/Martin partnership have any chemistry. I'd like to see it trialed for one race. Female voices are often calming. That's why jet fighters have female voices.

Edited by PayasYouRace, 15 September 2010 - 21:24.

#141 zenmeister

zenmeister

• 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 21:29

He's wasted doing the BTCC.

I spoke to him tonight and he would love to do F1 because it's the pinnacle of the sport in his line of business.

I used to watch Eurosport in the 90s because I preferred the combination of Ben and John Watson to Murray and Jonathan Palmer.

Ben also did Champ Car brilliantly with Jeremy Shaw.

If you think he's too neutral, I'm sure Martin Brundle would balance that perfectly.

I don't think it's fair to think of people like Anthony Davidson and Karun Chandhok because, good they are, they should be racing at this stage in their careers. as Ant showed at Silverstone last week.

#142 chdphd

chdphd

• 1,413 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 21:30

Katherine Legge did some commentary in the past. She has a very nice voice.

I was lucky enough to see Lee McKenzie in the paddock at the Barcelona test in February. She looked sort of annoyed as I took her photo but gave me big smile when I smiled at her afterwards :)

#143 Kucki

Kucki

• 1,238 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 22:00

Ben Edwards

+ John Watson

#144 Ali_G

Ali_G

• 18,029 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 22:05

I did.

Although Crofty would be good too.

I'd prefer Simon Taylor though.

The others that I know have irritating voices, are too young or have speech impediments. The others I don't know as I don't watch other motorsports.

Simon Taylor is good enough to commentate on F1 season reviews. Nothing more.

#145 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 22:21

Simon Taylor is good enough to commentate on F1 season reviews. Nothing more.

Even then he sends you to sleep. Ruins the 96 review for me. Not doubting his knowledge, far from it. The bloke just sends me to sleep.

#146 Captain Cranckcase

Captain Cranckcase

• 740 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 22:23

Allen was like the school nerd tho, just annoying, irritating smarmy git. I feel sorry Legard in a way, he's just out of his depth but he's still better than the c*ck.

Edwards is the sensible choice, he and Jeremy Shaw like many have said were great doing CART. You could tell they were real fans as well as knowing there stuff. Toby Moody & friend doing motogp are good too. Those would be my 1st and 2nd for the lead role and I would promote Davidson maybe have both Brundle and Davidson, could work.

#147 Captain Cranckcase

Captain Cranckcase

• 740 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 22:32

Ben Edwards was good in the Eurosport days and I always enjoyed his CART and A1GP commentary. He's be worth putting in the box. However, I just got thinking about...

...Does any broadcaster have a female lead commentator? Would the Lea/Martin partnership have any chemistry. I'd like to see it trialed for one race. Female voices are often calming. That's why jet fighters have female voices.

They tried having a female commentator in football. Pretty much everyone hated it. The same would happen again in f1 I predict.

#148 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,384 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 22:33

Allen was like the school nerd tho, just annoying, irritating smarmy git. I feel sorry Legard in a way, he's just out of his depth but he's still better than the c*ck.

So what? It's better than Legard's sheer incompetence. Martin Brundle has simply had enough of him and that says it all. There were times when Martin seemed put off when partnered with Allen but it's nothing compared to how it is now.

#149 Captain Cranckcase

Captain Cranckcase

• 740 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 22:38

So what? It's better than Legard's sheer incompetence. Martin Brundle has simply had enough of him and that says it all. There were times when Martin seemed put off when partnered with Allen but it's nothing compared to how it is now.

I agree that Allen was far more competent that Legard, I just didn't like him much. Legard just makes me cringe. I would rather have neither if possible. Please don't bring back the c*ck!

#150 Breadmaster

Breadmaster

• 2,507 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 22:50

What about Hindhaugh?

he loves F1 ;)